Wii U-New Super Mario Bros. U

Erad30

CAGiversary!
250px-New_Super_Mario_Bros._U_box_art.png

Admittedly at first I wasn't too excited about this as it didn't seem too different but every new preview I see gets me more excited as it seems like it's going to have plenty of levels and replay value. It's a shame the co-op isn't online but this is looking like an incredibly fun if not revolutionary launch title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVsGL1VnWZU

I agree. I'm very excited to play this game and it's the only launch title that has me champing at the bit for the system. For now I'll hold off on a system purchase, but this is the game that has me on the edge.

I'm digging all the SMW comparisons. I enjoyed NSMB & NSMBWii but SMW has always been my favorite, so something more along that line has me pumped.

This is one of 2 main reasons for me buying the Wii U. The other is Scribblenauts Unlimited. Can't wait to get it, but I'll have to thanks to ordering from NewEgg and school.

[quote name='Corvin']I'm digging all the SMW comparisons. I enjoyed NSMB & NSMBWii but SMW has always been my favorite, so something more along that line has me pumped.[/QUOTE]

From what I played in Atlanta, it was definitely my favorite game there.

I think that from what little I played, I felt it was loads better than New Super Mario Bros. 2.

It's vanilla. On the other hand, vanilla is delicious, and there is a reason why so many people like it. They aren't taking any risks with this game, but at the same time I can't fault them for making this one of the launch titles.

I'm having second thoughts on picking up a WiiU at launch. If I do, this will be one of the games I get with it. The local multiplayer from its predecessor was very strong, and the asynchronous possibilities this title layers on top are icing on the cake.

Classic Mario platforming is an evergreen proposition. It always feels good to play.

I love Mario 2D platformers but this isn't a system seller for me. I need to see more before committing to the WiiU.

Tons of New Super Mario Bros. U details

October 30th, 2012 Posted in News, Posted by Valay, Wii U | No Comments » - Big Island is back
- It’s the world of giants from Super Mario Bros. 3
- Vast, continuous overworld
- Branching paths on the overworld
- Koopalings, Monty Moles are back
- Morton Jr. boss battle: he has a giant hammer that can shape the platforms around you
- Koopalings aren’t the only bosses
- King Koopa’s personal airship will appear while moving to a new world and starts a battle
- Even though you just beat a boss and completed a castle, another boss fight starts
- Bowser Jr. fights you underwater
- Jr. is in a Clown Submarine
- He launches torpedoes
- Guide the torpedoes into Jr. Bowser to defeat him
- Nabbit is a thief, need to capture him to recover the powerful prize he has stolen from the Toads – a P-Acorn that will give you the power of infinite flight
- To do so you enter a stage you’ve already completed, this time risking life and limb to catch the little bugger
- Challenge Mode included in which you need to complete objectives
- Each “level” in this is simple in design and execution
- One example: dodge fireballs thrown by two Fire Bros.
- You’ll be graded an assigned a bronze, silver, or gold trophy
- Unlock more challenges in menus separated by broad type such as a series focusing on Boost Mode, coin collecting, gathering 1-ups, or a “Special” section
- Special section houses the Fire Bros. stage and more
- Coin Battle: race to the end of a level and attempt to collect more coins than your friends
- These levels are pulled from the main game
- Customize the level with coin placement
- You have hundreds of coins at your disposal, and can craft even crazier tasks for you and your friends, daring others to jump blindly off ledges or risk everything for just a little extra gold
- Not a full level editor

Another batch of New Super Mario Bros. U details, stage names

October 30th, 2012 Posted in News, Posted by Valay, Videos Below the break are another batch of New Super Mario Bros. U details. You can also find names for a bunch of the title’s stages.
Read on below for the goods!

• The World Map is huge, with tons of branching paths, even allowing you to skip entire worlds! After World 2, you reach a fork in the road that leads to either Sparking Waters or Frozen Glacier.
  • Remember the mysterious and confusing Forest of Illusion from Mario World? It’s basically back in the form of Soda Jungle, where finding secret exits is a must in order to proceed.
  • In addition to being found in certain levels, Baby Yoshis also periodically appear in set places on the World Map. If you find one, he’ll follow you into any level where you can then use him. And you can keep taking him with you from level to level as long as you don’t die or otherwise lose him.
  • Power-Ups, such as the Acorn, can also be found periodically on the roaming map (similar to the roaming enemies). If you touch one, it’ll be added to your invetory instantly.
  • The inventory system is changed from New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Now you can only hold 10 items total, but any used item is still applied to everyone in co-op mode.
  • The P-Wing is back…sort of! It’s not called the P-Acorn and allows you to fly indefinitely.
  • Little P’s emit like sparkles from Mario when using the P-Acorn.
  • P-Acorns can be earned by grabbing Nabbit, a new character that steals items from Toad Houses and runs off to hide in a level. Pay it a visit to engage a chase–if you can manage to catch him (careful! He’s fast), you’ll earn yourself a P-Wing.
  • Torpedo Ted’s are back! Except now they come in a red variety too that home in on Mario.
  • Bowser Jr. returns as well, who’ll you fight aboard his airship. Though his Clown Car is now submersible as the entire first battle takes place underwater.
  • As you work your way through the World Map, occasional cutscenes are triggered, showing the Princess’s Castle growing into a great state of disarray, eventually being surrounded by a giant Tornado.
  • Challenge Mode is a brand new experience that offers dozens of challenges broken into different genres, such as flying stages” or collecting 1-Ups. The difficulty ranges from 1-5 stars, with 5 being the hardest.
  • You can earn Bronze, Silver, or Gold medals for high-scores in Challenge Mode.
  • Penguin Suit is back, though it only appears as part of the challenges stages, such as one level where you slide down a hill trying to take down as many enemies as possible to earn 1-Ups.
  • Mini Mario also appears in Challenge Mode, such as in a challenge where you’re holding a Blue Yoshi and have to carefully bounce off the bubbles he spits out to reach a goal high above.
  • Coin Battle is a competitive multiplayer mode to see who can collect the most coins that returns from New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but now with levels exclusive to it.
Stage names
Acorn Plains-1 “Acorn Plains Way”
Acorn Plains-2 “Tilted Tunnel”
Acorn Plains-Tower “Crushing Cogs Tower”
Acorn Plains-3 “Yoshi Hill”
Acorn Plains-4 “Mushroom Heights”
Acorn Plains-5 “Rise of the Piranha Plants”
Acorn Plains-”Castle Lemmy’s Swingback Castle”
Layer Cake Desert-1 ”Stone-Eye Zone”
Layer Cake Desert-2 ”Perilous Pokey Cave”
Layer Cake Desert-3 ”Fire Snake Cavern”
Layer Cake Desert-Fortress “Layer Cake Fortress” (I could be mistaken on this one)
Layer Cake Desert-4 ”Spike’s Spouting Sand”
Layer Cake Desert-5 *Missed it*
Layer Cake Desert-6 ”Blooming Lakitu’s”
Layer Cake Desert Castle – ”Morton’s Compactor Castle”
Sparkling Waters-1 “Waterspout Beach”
Sparkling Waters-2 Tropicial Refresher
Sparkling Waters-3 Above the Cheep Cheep Sea
Sparkling Waters-Tower “Giant Skewer Tower”
Sparkling Waters-4 Urchin Shoals
Sparkling Waters-5 Dragoneel’s Undersea Grotto
Frosted Glacier-1 ”Spinning Star Sky”
Frosted Glacier-2 ”Cooligan Fields”
Frosted Glacier-Tower Fortress “Freezing Rain Tower”
Frosted Glacier-3 ”Prickly Goombas”
Frosted Glacier-4 ”Scaling the Mountainside”
Frosted Glacier-5 ”Icicle Caverns”
Frosted Glacier-Ghost House ”Swinging Ghost House”
Frosted Glacier-Castle “Wendy’s Shifting Castle”
Soda Jungle-1 “Jungle of the Giants”
Soda Jungle- ”Bridge Over Poisoned Water”
Soda Jungle-Tower “Snake Block Tower”
Soda Jungle-3 “Bramble Jungle
Soda Jungle-4 “Painted Swamp Land”
Soda Jungle-5 ”Deepsea Ruins”
Soda Jungle-Castle ”Iggy’s Volcanic Castle”
Source

Last edited by a moderator:
You should probably spoiler tag those level names. Interesting to see that they have level names this time around.

[quote name='Richard Kain']The local multiplayer from its predecessor was very strong[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I agree with that. The local multiplayer in NSMBWii could be pretty obnoxious. Compare that to the multiplayer in Rayman Origins. Now that's a platformer that got coop play right. It's consistently fun, and a riot at times, and MORE fun then playing solo. NSMBWii failed in that regard IMHO - the game was more consistently fun played solo.

Giant Bomb's quicklook was pretty hilarious. 4 player co-op with a 5th person on the gamepad is crazyness.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-new-super-mario-bros-u/17-6804/

I didnt care for NSMB for the original Wii, but I do like all the handhelds so its quite nice to be able to play this game upstairs on my bed while the Wii U is downstairs. Even sitting on the couch in front of the TV, playing while watching the gamepad seems more engaging than looking at the TV 10 feet away.

Man this game is really awesome. Got to play the 3-player + 1 Gamepad mode yesterday, and it was fantastic.

I did skip out on NSMBWii so I don't know if it featured this, but I was playing single player, and I got prompted to go back and retry a level with a challenge in mind (ie: catch the thief), a la Mario Galaxy. It was really fantastic!

[quote name='drktrpr1']Man this game is really awesome. Got to play the 3-player + 1 Gamepad mode yesterday, and it was fantastic.

I did skip out on NSMBWii so I don't know if it featured this, but I was playing single player, and I got prompted to go back and retry a level with a challenge in mind (ie: catch the thief), a la Mario Galaxy. It was really fantastic![/QUOTE]

nope that was not added :) they do have a "show you how to beat the level" if you die too many times; basically Luigi pops in and it shows you how to beat the level without fail you can start the level up as Luigi at anytime.

When you open up the Map, there is a prompt to Hide Posts (or something like that - I'm at work), but I don't know if there's a Setting to adjust to permanently hide them.

I don't really mind them too much, personally.

[quote name='lmz00']Is there any way to disable the Mii stuff? (The "write a post about this level," and whatnot.)[/QUOTE]

Disconnect your Wii U from the internet before playing?

Nope. "Post to MiiVerse" actions still appear even with the net turned off. You'll just get an error message if you click "yes" with no internet on.

That's what I get for not selecting "Not Now" when it asked me to whether or not to enable that stuff. Oh, well. I've just accepted it.

[quote name='lmz00']That's what I get for not selecting "Not Now" when it asked me to whether or not to enable that stuff. Oh, well. I've just accepted it.[/QUOTE]

Poke around the options menu... there's a way to turn them off for NSMBU specifically. I've had mine switched off from day one.

Im a technical idiot. How do I get a two player game going with the controller and the screen and the wii remote going? I got this for my kids and so far haven't gotten anything going besides 2 wii remotes.

[quote name='schuerm26']Im a technical idiot. How do I get a two player game going with the controller and the screen and the wii remote going? I got this for my kids and so far haven't gotten anything going besides 2 wii remotes.[/QUOTE]

Multiplayer with the GamePad is purely adding the blocks to the screen, if I remember right. If multiple people want to be Mario/Luigi, they need to use Wiimotes. To do that, just use pick the option on the left before going into the overworld map.

[quote name='advanced']Multiplayer with the GamePad is purely adding the blocks to the screen, if I remember right. If multiple people want to be Mario/Luigi, they need to use Wiimotes. To do that, just use pick the option on the left before going into the overworld map.[/QUOTE]

Damn. Only have one motionplus controller. Thanks for the help. Time to spend more money I guess.

Finished the core game the other night. Fantastic. Right up there with SMW and SMB3. Managed to find all but 2 of the secret exits. I don't think I would have ever found the in Acorn Plains. A hidden area above a hidden area. Crazy. The other was in a ghost house.

Still one major, correction, fucking major complaint. Adding motion to 2 of the last levels? fuck you Nintendo, fuck. YOU. Leave that shit out and they could have supported the Pro Controller. Stupid decision. The motion adds nothing and those are now levels that will never be replayed.

Now, Superstar Road. Holy crap. I breezed through the core game getting all the star coins, no sweat, but holy hell these levels are kicking my ass. Only have 9-1 done so far. 9-2 is driving me bonkers.

[quote name='Corvin']Now, Superstar Road. Holy crap. I breezed through the core game getting all the star coins, no sweat, but holy hell these levels are kicking my ass. Only have 9-1 done so far. 9-2 is driving me bonkers.[/QUOTE]
The P-Acorn makes 9-2 a breeze, but it sounds like you're trying to do things the old fashioned way. God speed.

Finished the main game and now I'm almost done with Superstar Road.

Overall, this game completely caught me off-guard. All these years, I have been yearning for SMW-like game and this game is it. Difficulty is high, level and map designs are varied, secrets galore, and great implementation of Miiverse. I had to GameFAQs some of the secrets because I grew tired of replaying levels x times. Bravo Nintendo. :applause:

Now bring on a true successor to Yoshi's Island 2. ;)

I just picked up a Wii-U today and grabbed this as well. The biggest complaint I had heard about it from the gaming press was that it was too much like the other New SMB games, but since I never played those I really didn't care. Gotta say, I'm loving it so far. Classic feel updated just enough, and it's fantastic to be playing a Mario game in HD.

I haven't even touched my other 2 games yet, Nintendoland & Zombie U. The only game that could tear me away from Mario was the Rayman demo. ;)

To me the only problem that this game had going against it was NSMB2. Had that game not come out in August, we would've had a few years between this and NSMBW. Instead, Nintendo brought out two new 2D Mario traditional platformers within a few months of each other, bogging down the market.

Hopefully this game will be remembered for a long time. It is an instant classic. It is my second favorite 2D Mario game.

New Super Mario Bros. U patch to add Pro Controller support

May 30th, 2013 Posted in News, Posted by Brian, Wii U | No Comments » Nintendo is working on a patch for New Super Mario Bros. U that will arrive right around the same time as New Super Luigi U. While not overly significant, it will allow for a couple of things.
Once applied, the update will allow players to purchase the New Super Luigi U DLC in-game – no trip to the eShop will be necessary. The patch will additionally add Wii U Pro Controller support, giving yet another control option.

[quote name='Erad30']New Super Mario Bros. U patch to add Pro Controller support

May 30th, 2013 Posted in News, Posted by Brian, Wii U | No Comments » Nintendo is working on a patch for New Super Mario Bros. U that will arrive right around the same time as New Super Luigi U. While not overly significant, it will allow for a couple of things.
Once applied, the update will allow players to purchase the New Super Luigi U DLC in-game – no trip to the eShop will be necessary. The patch will additionally add Wii U Pro Controller support, giving yet another control option.[/QUOTE]

This is a remarkably reasonable (if rather late) addition. Should have been included at the start, glad to see them fixing the issue.

[quote name='Erad30']New Super Mario Bros. U patch to add Pro Controller support

Once applied, the update will allow players to purchase the New Super Luigi U DLC in-game – no trip to the eShop will be necessary. The patch will additionally add Wii U Pro Controller support, giving yet another control option.[/QUOTE]

Damn, wish they would've had this in place the first time around. Still, I will be using the Pro Controller with Luigi U.

This game is amazing (love being able to play on the gamepad). I play with my kids and we have a blast. Definite must have for any Wii-U owner.

bread's done
Back