Wii U-Skylanders Giants

Erad30

CAGiversary!
11212a.jpg

I'd actually love to get this game, it looks like a lot of fun. I just know I'd lose the figures at some point....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hXA813MeBY

Late to the party on the whole Skylanders thing. Freaking loving it or what I know of it so far. I picked this up for 44$ at TRU on Sun (crazy deal) so I have it and the 3DS version too. I will say I was a little let down that this was a USB portal and not wireless like I found out that the Wii version was. So far really cool though.

Haven't got into this at all. I liked the Spyro stuff on PS1 but haven't followed the series and it seems to me that it would be all kinds of annoying swapping figures out throughout the game. I'm not sure I think the game looks all that good either.

[quote name='BREVITY']Late to the party on the whole Skylanders thing. Freaking loving it or what I know of it so far. I picked this up for 44$ at TRU on Sun (crazy deal) so I have it and the 3DS version too. I will say I was a little let down that this was a USB portal and not wireless like I found out that the Wii version was. So far really cool though.[/QUOTE]

You really lucked out by getting it so cheap. I have been interested in the game, but it seems like a huge investment when you consider the starter pack is $75 and then additional figures are $10-$15 each.

[quote name='Ryukahn']You really lucked out by getting it so cheap. I have been interested in the game, but it seems like a huge investment when you consider the starter pack is $75 and then additional figures are $10-$15 each.[/QUOTE]

Amazon's been having the first series figures for $3 a piece in the video game lightning deal section. Definitely a good value there. They'll also have the 360 version of Giants for $40 tomorrow. I would like to get this for the Wii U because of the gamepad stuff, but I'm a cheapass and have to go with the 360 version.

OMG I went from not owning anything Skylanders or really even knowing much about it to buying the Wii (last years), Wii U, 3DS (giants & last years) and iOS versions. I own something like 35 figure two carrying cases and many accessory things. Dodging questions from my wife on the cost...

[quote name='doodofdoods']Amazon's been having the first series figures for $3 a piece in the video game lightning deal section. Definitely a good value there. They'll also have the 360 version of Giants for $40 tomorrow. I would like to get this for the Wii U because of the gamepad stuff, but I'm a cheapass and have to go with the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like I should have been more prepared! I tried to grab this when TRU had the b1g1 40% off sale, but it wouldn't give the discount even though the game had it listed as being part of the sale. Oh well, I am sure there will be another sale on it eventually, and the holiday season is already giving me a ton of games to play. :bouncy:

Was able to grab the Wii U version for $50, so I decided to jump in. Time will tell if that was a wise decision or not lol :whee:

[quote name='meerkatgamer']Curious does the wii skylander portal work with skylander giants Wii U?[/QUOTE]

I am by no means an expert, but I am pretty sure I read that it is not compatible with the Wii U version.

[quote name='meerkatgamer']Curious does the wii skylander portal work with skylander giants Wii U?[/QUOTE]

Works fine! I own both and prefer the Wii one on the Wii U as its wireless. It also works fine on PC (tested) and I think I read PS3.

My bad, I misread information from GameFAQs about the portals. The post talked about not being cross-platform compatible and assumed it meant Wii to Wii U as well since you have to boot the Wii Channel up in order to do Wii stuff. :oops:

I've seen some packs called 'Adventure packs' that had a level unlock for Spyro's Skylanders. Are those still useable in Giants? Hopefully not as then I won't be tempted to purchase them.

Also, does the Battle Arena give you anything in game, or is it just for fun? (The place the cannon unlocks).

adventure packs add 1 level for each one and they work in giants. They aren't updated for actual "giants", where they cant bash down walls and such.

battle arena adds 3 new pvp maps and the gamestop version adds a 4th but its just a upgraded version of one of the three.

We picked up Skylander's Giants for Wii earlier in the month at Toy's R Us for our 8 year old for Christmas. We hadn't planned on getting the Wii U system at that time, but now that's going to be under the tree too. I know Giants for Wii will work on the Wii U, but is there any compelling reason to try to return it and get the Wii U version? I'm guessing the majority of his friends will play on the Wii, but that may be a moot point too. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

[quote name='melokeith']I know Giants for Wii will work on the Wii U, but is there any compelling reason to try to return it and get the Wii U version?[/QUOTE]

I think the main difference would be HD graphics for the WiI U version, but the gameplay should be virtually the same.

I haven't looked into whether there are any features making specific use of the WiiPad or not. Anyone else know?

[quote name='melokeith']We picked up Skylander's Giants for Wii earlier in the month at Toy's R Us for our 8 year old for Christmas. We hadn't planned on getting the Wii U system at that time, but now that's going to be under the tree too. I know Giants for Wii will work on the Wii U, but is there any compelling reason to try to return it and get the Wii U version? I'm guessing the majority of his friends will play on the Wii, but that may be a moot point too. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I would say return it. Besides having HD graphics and getting to use all the Wii Us normal stuff in it the feature where you can toss the whole game down to the gamepad and not bother with the TV is really handy (for me at least). Also the touch screen is used in game even if you are not playing the whole game on it. You can look at mission objectives and player stats and make hat changes -stuff like that.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I've seen some packs called 'Adventure packs' that had a level unlock for Spyro's Skylanders. Are those still useable in Giants? Hopefully not as then I won't be tempted to purchase them.

Also, does the Battle Arena give you anything in game, or is it just for fun? (The place the cannon unlocks).[/QUOTE]

The little items that come with it are great for the challenges areas and the arena battles. Tossing a winged boot on to get faster as a giant to finish a timed mission is priceless. Same for the hour glass or health potion.

I've never played Skylanders (or Skylanders Giants) but I really want to play this game. I think the $75 price point is too steep for me right now, especially considering all the extra costs of additional figures. Hopefully I will be able to trade for the game or the starter pack will see a significant sale (maybe in a year or so when people move on to the next hot item lol).

I am easily $500 deep into this now. -how did that happen! Its not that fun is it. I dont even know at this point. I blacked out for a few weeks there and woke up with one hell of a lot of Skylanders shit on nearly every system. Just spent 100$ on an ebay auction for some limited Skylander sidekicks.

I should seek professional help at this point. With my problem -not buying more.

[quote name='BREVITY']I am easily $500 deep into this now. -how did that happen! Its not that fun is it. I dont even know at this point. I blacked out for a few weeks there and woke up with one hell of a lot of Skylanders shit on nearly every system. Just spent 100$ on an ebay auction for some limited Skylander sidekicks.

I should seek professional help at this point. With my problem -not buying more.[/QUOTE]

This is the reason I am worried about getting into this series.

After they release the last 3 Giants figures, I will probably be over $200 spent. However, I have a young relative who absolutely loves the game and enjoys playing it with me, so it is money well spent IMO.

Thanks for the info on the adventure packs, looks like I might have to get a few of them.

[quote name='BREVITY']I am not getting any voice sounds from the TV during game but I do get it when I switch to handheld. Odd bug.[/QUOTE]

I am having the same exact issue. I wonder if the disc is defective.

[quote name='chronojin']I am having the same exact issue. I wonder if the disc is defective.[/QUOTE]

In my case it turned out I had put the Wii on surround sound when it was coming out of my TV speakers with Stereo. That center voice channel didnt have anywhere to go. Changing it back fixed me.

[quote name='EvilLizard']I hear this game is pretty much diablo. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Um.........where did you hear that at? Similar in that it has the top down look but that's it. Not sure where you would have ever heard this compared to Diablo. Nothing at all like Diablo. Sure it is a button masher and geared towards kids, but not Diablo. If you purchase this with that thought you will be greatly disappointed.

bread's done
Back