Wii U-Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed

Erad30

CAGiversary!
sonic-wii-u-box-art.jpg

Many might be waiting for the next Mario Kart game but they may be missing out on a pleasant surprise as Sonic Racing was actually pretty good while the last 2 Mario Kart games were fairly disappointing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3GhOj4FJZI

Due to the price i'm considering picking this up, going to wait to see a livestream of it before getting it though.

I kept going back and forth with this game before deciding to keep my pre-order. $29.99 at newegg so I should get a ton of value.

Yeah I don't have the Wii U yet (the gamestop I pre-ordered at doesn't open for several more hours) but they had a few Wii U games for rent at the Family Video near my work including this so I rented it to see if it was any good.

[quote name='nugarp']This game is fantastic! If you have it, add me: pragun[/QUOTE]

Yup. Awesome game. I am having a ton of fun with it.

[quote name='nugarp']This game is fantastic! If you have it, add me: pragun[/QUOTE]

Thirded. My favorite game so far - some of the courses are just jaw-dropping and it's the best Sega nostalgia fix I've had in awhile.

I really want this game. 39.99 seems like a bargain as a launch title, but I only had enough cash for one game and Mario was a clear cut winner. This is likely one of the next games I buy, though.

Well maybe we can at least get a CAG group going or something, I loved what I played but tried to find an online game for over 30 minutes with no luck, I don't think many picked this up.

[quote name='Erad30']Well maybe we can at least get a CAG group going or something, I loved what I played but tried to find an online game for over 30 minutes with no luck, I don't think many picked this up.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it depends on time of day. I was able to get into a number of 6 to 8 player matches on Sunday night. I sent friend requests to all of the CAGs on the Nintendo Network thread, so hopefully we can get something started. I haven't even opened Nintendo Land, Assassin's Creed III, or ZombiU since I've been so taken with New Super Mario Bros U and Sonic.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Can you play this with the Mario Kart steering wheels?[/QUOTE]

I stopped using that a long time ago. Whenever I play Mario Kart Wii I use my classic controller.

So the boost rush mode is missing its checkpoints and I can't get past that point. Everything else seems to be locked though. For now are we only able to play the tracks up to that point and the multiplayer or am I missing something?

[quote name='Octopod']So the boost rush mode is missing its checkpoints and I can't get past that point. Everything else seems to be locked though. For now are we only able to play the tracks up to that point and the multiplayer or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

Lose 4 times in a row on easy and it will let you skip the event and move on.

[quote name='coolz481']Lose 4 times in a row on easy and it will let you skip the event and move on.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. No way I would have figured that out on my own.

Which controllers can I use for this game? I have the gamepad (obviously) and 4 wii controllers. Could I play the 5 player local mode that way? Basically, I want to know if the wiimote is usable or whether I need the pro controller for local coop.

Thanks!

I also still want to know if I can use the steering wheels. :p I have the game, but it's put away fro Christmas... I want to break out my new Club Nintendo Japan gold wheel. :)

I'd like to know if you can use a classic controller/pro. I am told it doesn't support the Wii U Pro Controller. That kind of sucks. I'm not sure why they wouldn't support it.

i have the game and it does support all controller types. Used a pro controller which works great. Classic controller works but its kind of odd button setup, seeing it uses the same button layout as the pro controller.

Has the game been patched yet? I heard boost mode was screwed on Wii U and wanted to make sure it was patched before picking it up tomorrow.

[quote name='asgaga']i have the game and it does support all controller types. Used a pro controller which works great. Classic controller works but its kind of odd button setup, seeing it uses the same button layout as the pro controller.[/QUOTE]

It does, seriously? The back of the box says otherwise. This makes me very upset and happy at the same time.

And I don't think it's been patched yet.

based on what i googled it hasnt been patched, really annoying since i havent updated my wii u yet. supposedly the patch should come today

No patch yet.

A word of caution as well for those getting for your kids. This is not like the last game, where you were always rewarded for just playing the game, and could eventually unlock everything by playing on easy.
This game requires lots of track memorizing, and using specific characters/mods combinations to beat certain challenges. The only way to unlock everything is by completing certain events on hard or even expert levels.
If you don't help your young ones, they will never complete the game.

Is the game explicit, though, about what you need to do to unlock those levels? My son won't mind the challenge, as long as he doesn't have to guess at what's required and go through a bunch of nothing before stumbling upon the right combination randomly.

And when people say "all" controller types, does this include the steering wheels?

[quote name='soonersfan60']Is the game explicit, though, about what you need to do to unlock those levels? My son won't mind the challenge, as long as he doesn't have to guess at what's required and go through a bunch of nothing before stumbling upon the right combination randomly.

And when people say "all" controller types, does this include the steering wheels?[/QUOTE]

Well, the game currency is/are 'stars'. You get one star for completing events on easy, two for normal, three for hard, and once you've completed a certain portion of the game
you unlock the expert difficulty, which opens a fourth difficulty for all the events in the game.

You can unlock maybe one or two of the characters as you progress through the game by playing on easy. However, there're also sections of the game 'locked' based on how many stars you've collected. So, not only will you not ever unlock more characters, but you will never access those sections unless you start playing on normal.

To be fair, a good amount of the content can be completed by just playing on 'normal'. That said, the game suffers from Mario Kart syndrome at times. Often times you'll find yourself in 8th place, and notice that the 7th place character has a powerup. Instead of such character sending his power-up forward to move up in place, he'll send it backwards towards you, and send you back to 10th place.

A few other examples as just poor A.I. programming or glitches: a) You send a projectile to the character in front of you, but he doesn't get hit b) The computer and you hit the same boost panel at the same time, but somehow they boost way ahead of you. c)The cpu characters all seem to direct their weapons strictly at you, regardless of anything else going on in the race.

I was planning on ignoring this game, despite the lower launch price. But then I read the GiantBomb review, and they stressed that the game does a great job of paying homage to more than just Sonic. I did not know that they throw in references to a lot of other classic Sega franchises, such as Golden Axe and Crazy Taxi. While a Sonic-themed racing game didn't appeal to me, a Sega-themed racing game with plenty of retro references tickles my fancy.

They also had a lot of positive things to say about the rest of the game's various features. I would like to know if anyone has experience with how the game performs on the Wii U? Is the framerate consistent? Do the models look good/detailed? How is the shading and lighting? Did they do a good job with the art style?

Kart-style racing games have always been a favorite for local multiplayer. As this is the Wii U's primary strength, I am seriously considering picking up a copy of Sonic Racing.

the main plus on getting the wii u version, is that its the only version that has 5 player local play. 4 on tv and 5th on the gamepad.

I played the demo of this last night and I have to say its extremely fun just from the one level I played. I'm strongly considering picking this up as my next Wii U purchase

[quote name='GameNChick']I played the demo of this last night and I have to say its extremely fun just from the one level I played. I'm strongly considering picking this up as my next Wii U purchase[/QUOTE]

Get it! You will not regret this purchase. Certainly the best single player kart racer ever made with all of the different modes and world tour. Plus a boatload of fan service for those of us who grew up Sega fans.

I think this game is really good, but I have two big complaints about it.

#1 - Unlocking characters is H.A.R.D.; it takes like 140~ stars to unlock them all, and those can only be earned in World Tour. In the original, everything you did gave you Sega Miles, which was how you unlocked music, characters and tracks. It was a better system for everyone since it didn't force any one mode on the player.

#2 - Why is unlocking characters hard? Because the AI can be unbeatable at times. Sometimes the game just flips a switch that says 'the AI wins, even if you run a perfect race, hit them 20 times and you don't get hit/crash yourself.' This happens on every difficulty setting too. It's ridiculous.

But other than those two things it's a pretty good game.

Man I've heard nothing but praise for this game and it really makes me want to pick it up ASAP. The Sega Genesis was the first console I owned when I was 6 so it's great to hear this game does pay a little bit of homage to the old genesis classics. So I assume this game is defentially worth the $39.99 asking price?

[quote name='KingBroly']I think this game is really good, but I have two big complaints about it.

#1 - Unlocking characters is H.A.R.D.; it takes like 140~ stars to unlock them all, and those can only be earned in World Tour. In the original, everything you did gave you Sega Miles, which was how you unlocked music, characters and tracks. It was a better system for everyone since it didn't force any one mode on the player.

#2 - Why is unlocking characters hard? Because the AI can be unbeatable at times. Sometimes the game just flips a switch that says 'the AI wins, even if you run a perfect race, hit them 20 times and you don't get hit/crash yourself.' This happens on every difficulty setting too. It's ridiculous.

But other than those two things it's a pretty good game.[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree.
I'm currently at 125 stars, and after spending about 1.5 hours just to get a single additional star, I'm not sure I care enough to try to get to 165.

I'll gladly pay a few dollars for a DLC code that lets me have the additional 2 characters.
I don't care about forgoing any trophies/chievos, etc. to get those two. The reward is not worth the time it would take to get those additional 40 stars.

easiest stars to get are vs., battle mode, tank mode.

tank mode just take it slow, the tank will never move far away from you and will always have the same pattern. Build up 9 missles and shoot when he opens up in the back.

battle mode stay in the back and let the other players kill each other.

vs. mode learn the map and take the shortcuts. also when you are about to beat one of the racers hold a weapon to save when the next one spawns. easy win if you just repeat.

Really for all the races is practice the track and if you need the extra help choose someone with high balance. Like Tails with balance mode.

also major plus learn to triple boost at the start of each race, really helps.

[quote name='GameNChick']is NiGHTs a playable character? ;(

If not, is there at least a level dedicated to NiGHTs?[/QUOTE]

Yes

I hope they have a difficulty nerfing patch. The latter stages of World Tour is rather ridiculous.

[quote name='KingBroly']
Yes

I hope they have a difficulty nerfing patch. The latter stages of World Tour is rather ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Yes to which one?

[quote name='guyver2077']really liking this game!

protip: $28.79 keep it now price for long standing gamefly customers. Any better deals out there?[/QUOTE]

You can take advantage of the buy 2 get 1 free deal at target. Costs more in the long run but you get more bang for your buck.

found a easy way to beat world tour. you can have 5 players join you in all world tour modes. For some events this doesnt help much, boost races, but in races, vs., battle races really makes it way easier. Also, if you dont have 5 friends just turn on all the controlles and let them sit there, makes 9 vs 1 to 5 vs 1. There is a timer after while it will end the match, but you still will get credit for a win.

Just a random story, but I was at Best Buy on Christmas Eve, and a random lady came up to me and started asking me for a great family Wii U game to buy (I was wearing a blue shirt, so she probably thought I worked there). Based upon the reviews here at CAG, I told her to get Sonic All Stars Racing, felt weird suggesting a Sega product for a new Nintendo Console.

Anyways, back on topic, how is the online doing after Christmas in terms of amount of players? I probably won't be getting a Wii U for some time, but the traffic now would be telling of future populations when I finally get into it.

Is it just me or does it seem like sometimes out of no where the game automatically drives you into the wall? It happens to me occasionally, especially when I'm changing vehicles.

bread's done
Back