Wii U-Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge

Erad30

CAGiversary!
ninjagaide_box.jpg

Ninja Gaiden III sucked for a lot of reasons, supposedly this version fixes all of that and then some, bringing back the gore and difficulty along with extra play modes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIBw5M6f_YA

So, looking at that trailer, there are sections from the game that are from Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2. And the combat just seems like a straight copy/paste from Ninja Gaiden 2, meaning it's a helluva lost faster and involved than Ninja Gaiden 3.

Edit:
- There's also co-op
- Ayane's a new playable character for every chapter
- Secret Ayane Feature
Shake the Gamepad for "Physics" just like Sigma 2
- DLC characters after the game launches (Might be Free, Better be Free)
- All Weapons seem to have unique animations this time around

Hmmmmm, I want to get this since I enjoyed the other 2 games, but I don't want to support them giving two systems a terrible game then going and fixing it for the people who didn't buy it, may have to pick it up used.

That's a valid point, it's just I've played the part 1 and 2 on xbox/360 so I'm used to playing these games on that platform, sucks knowing that these updates wont be coming to the other systems through a patch though. It is nice seeing Nintendo publish games more in line with this and Bayonetta though so that is definitely a positive.

I can understand what you mean. It's nice to playthrough an entire series on one platform if you can.

First Wii U game reviewed:

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge Review

Ryan McCaffrey

Can I get extra blood with that?

→ November 13, 2012 Much has changed since you may have read some unkind things about Ninja Gaiden 3 earlier this year. In fact, it’s not even fair to call the refurbished Razor’s Edge a “director’s cut.” Rather, it’s more like a film that’s been screen-tested, made changes based on lots of negative feedback, and then released in a significantly different form than it was originally shown. Of course, that makes Xbox and PS3 owners akin to screen-testers who paid $60 for the privilege, but that’s another matter. Regardless of whether you’re coming to Razor’s Edge as a Ninja Gaiden neophyte or a series veteran looking for this franchise to redeem itself, you’ve come to the right place.
Ninja badass Ryu Hyabusa has slain countless rivals and demons in his day, and that is the foundation of NG3’s gameplay. Lightning-quick moves define Ryu, be it with his trusty Dragon Sword or one of the other equally brutal weapons, such as the slicing, dicing Wolverine-esque claws or the slow-but-punishing Scythe, that you unlock over the course of the campaign. Each weapon has its own unique moves purchased with Karma points, which adds a lot of welcome variety to a game that was originally about cutting millions of guys over and over with the same single weapon and the same batch of moves. Doing well in each battle –stringing together combos without being hit, quickly finishing off batches of bad guys – earns you the Karma cash, which is tracked in real-time on the left side of the screen during each fight. It’s a bold move for an action game to say to the player, “Hey, I’m watching you. Impress me.”
wiiung3re1scrna23groupcjpg-5a7e93_800w.jpg
Bosses have been beefed up for Razor's Edge. Bring your A-game...or else.

Razor’s Edge’s pure-action gameplay will certainly impress you. The long odds stacked against Ryu in nearly every situation only serve to make you feel unstoppable as you tear through the
Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge

November 18, 2012

Ninja Gaiden 3 aims to take players on a journey with their hero Ryu Hayabusa once more, but this time they’ll see more from their protagonist than they ever imagined.

Much More

Ryan McCaffrey Says Try This Game If You Liked:

opposition, while the scores of gore effects – be it arterial sprays or severed limbs – make each encounter all the more theatrically impressive to your eye. Though the pace of combat is much smoother and faster than the first NG3 release, some moves are still glorified Quick-Time Events, and frustration abounds when Ryu doesn’t snap out of an action as fast as it seems like he should. The addition of Ayane certainly doesn’t hurt the game. The crossover cameo from developer Team Ninja’s Dead or Alive brawler series lets you lace up the leather bustier of Ryu’s equally skilled colleague. She gets her own missions in Razor’s Edge, and her faster, nimbler play style serves as both a complement and a refreshing break from Ryu’s mainline quest.
wiiung3re1scrnb03groupcjpg-5a7e95_800w.jpg
Ayane's missions serve as a nice complement to the core Ryu action.

No matter who you’re in control of, however, Razor’s Edge is going to hurt you, badly and often. The Ninja Gaiden series has never been for the faint of heart, and players familiar with the original NG3 release will find that the game’s sadistic sense has been restored on the Wii U. Bosses have had their cojones digitally restored, to the point that you should expect to get stuck on some of them for extended amounts of time (between 30 and 60 minutes at the worst, in my experience). Heck, even the regular minions start to get soul-crushingly challenging when the zombies and demons show up about halfway through the campaign. I can almost guarantee you’re going to want to hurl your controller across the room at times; a masochistic tilt has always been an unstated requirement to enjoy this series.
Speaking of controllers, Razor’s Edge might seem like a $60 game, but you should really budget another $50 on top of that, as a Pro Controller is practically (but not technically) required here. While the system’s signature Wii U GamePad is plenty ergonomic, it’s simply not a good fit, literally, for the kind of action Ninja Gaiden 3 throws at you. And as far as the GamePad’s screen goes, it’s not put to much use, with a moves list for the equipped weapon on display before you rather than tucked away in a menu.
wiiung3re2scrna02groupcjpg-5a7e94_800w.jpg
Fortunately, better weapons unlock as the bad guys get tougher.

Visually, Ninja Gaiden 3 is hardly going to make your PS3 and Xbox-owning friends envious. In fact, Razor’s Edge is arguably uglier than its cousins, with bland textures and a bad case of the “jaggies” combining to create a muddy look that would’ve been called out seven years ago during the Xbox 360’s launch. Still, the framerate stays (mostly) smooth, which is crucial for a game like this. Plus, at this stage it’s nice – if admittedly a novelty – to be playing a Nintendo game in high-definition.

Become a fan of IGN

The Verdict

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge might be the polar opposite of the usual Nintendo fare. The ‘M’ rating on the box is not a joke, what with the hyper-fast ninja action title’s unending display of severed limbs and decapitated heads. It’s fantastic to see this kind of hardcore gamer’s game on a Nintendo console – and at the Wii U’s launch, no less – and you can forget much of what you may have heard about the original release of this game earlier this year on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. It’s far from perfect and best viewed with “launch goggles” on, but Razor’s Edge’s unflinching action and unabashed violence is a great sign for the Wii U as a core gamer’s platform.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/13/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-review# Share on facebook Share on stumbleupon Share on reddit Share on tumblr Share on email More Sharing Services

Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge on Wii U

Good
Many of NG3’s issues have been addressed, giving Wii U owners a viable fast-action game to try on their new console. RT

Ryan McCaffrey 13 Nov 2012

• +Speedy, hyper-violent combat with six weapons
  • +Online co-op mode
  • +Ayane levels add variety

• – Muddy visuals, jaggies, occasional framerate stutters
  • – Rage is inevitable; some combat frustrations

Playing with the gamepad. The framerate SUUUUUUUCKS. There's no input lag or anything like that, but in encounters the game drops to a smooth 10 fps.

bread's done
Back