Computer sound problems

Tsel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
328 (100%)
Alright, I figured this would be the best place to post it. Just recently my laptop has started to cut off the sound after about a minute or so of watching a YouTube video. I'll watch a YT video and after a minute, the sound on everything cuts off. No iTunes, no YouTube, nothing. All I have to do is put my laptop to sleep and the sound works again. It's really annoying and it happens every time I watch a video now. What could be the problem and why is it so easily fixed?

[quote name='dohdough']Do a full reboot.

Is it only when you watch youtube? Do any updates lately?[/QUOTE]

Only when I watch YouTube. No updates that I know of. I might try a system restore just for the hell of it anyways. If by full reboot, you mean shut down and restart, that was the first thing I tried. That fixed the sound, but it went out the very next time I watched a video. That's when I tried putting it to sleep and waking it right back up to see if that worked and sure enough, it did. It's a very odd problem.

Alright, it's still happening. Earlier I watched about 7 minutes of a video before the sound went out and I found out it's not just on Youtube. I was watching a Gamespot stream and the sound went out on that too. I can listen to iTunes all I want, but watching videos cuts out the sound entirely until I reset my computer. What gives?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Have you tried a different browser?[/QUOTE]
Not yet, but that's a good suggestion. I'll try that shortly.
[quote name='JJSP']How about video through QuickTime/iTunes/VLC (ie, not streaming)?[/QUOTE]

Watching something on VLC and it seems to be working just fine. I honestly have no idea what the problem is. What's even weirder is how easily it's fixed. It doesn't make any sense.

check your volume mixer, I think it may be windows adjusting volume automatically

right click on the speaker icon on bottom right corner of screen, hit sounds
then under communications tab, make sure the " do nothing " is checked... mark it if its not and apply the settings

^^ that's what fixed my problem when the sound kept on getting turned off when playing games

[quote name='Hybrid5006']check your volume mixer, I think it may be windows adjusting volume automatically

right click on the speaker icon on bottom right corner of screen, hit sounds
then under communications tab, make sure the " do nothing " is checked... mark it if its not and apply the settings

^^ that's what fixed my problem when the sound kept on getting turned off when playing games[/QUOTE]

I just did that, but the sound just went out while watching a Youtube video.

EDIT: Something else weird just happened. The sound turned off as usual, so I went into the sound settings, but didn't click anything. The sound then magically came back.

EDIT 2: I don't want to jinx it, but I just watched a Youtube video in its entirety, so I don't know what the hell's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was fixed, but it just happened, this time while listening to music through iTunes. What in the fuck.

Check your audio driver. Go to whatever manufacturers website you need to and redownload it. Most likely issue. How old is your laptop?

[quote name='slickkill77']Check your audio driver. Go to whatever manufacturers website you need to and redownload it. Most likely issue. How old is your laptop?[/QUOTE]

That's my next test. It's still happening and it's happening on all fronts; iTunes, YouTube, Spotify, VLC, etc.

This isn't an old laptop by any means. It's not even a year old. Close to it, but not quite. Never had a single problem with it until this started happening.

EDIT: All drivers are up-to-date or so it says. I'm stumped. It goes in and out. I don't even have to shut anything down now. If I just wait a little while, the sound will be back.

[quote name='slickkill77']Something wrong with the speaker wires perhaps?[/QUOTE]

Why would it go out, only to come back in after a while? Seems random. My next test is to plug in headphones the next time it goes out and see if I can hear it through those.

I haven't said it, but I do appreciate all of you guys trying to help. I'm normally very computer/tech savvy, but this one has me stumped.

I'd suggest still downloading the latest driver, removing the existing driver, reboot, and then install the replacement driver after it's done with the reboot.

It isnt by chance an ASUS laptop and you happened to plug in head phones? If so, the connector is shorting out. The only way I can hear sound thru my ASUS is to use head phones.

ASUS laptops are notorious for 'sticking'.

[quote name='Number83']It isnt by chance an ASUS laptop and you happened to plug in head phones? If so, the connector is shorting out. The only way I can hear sound thru my ASUS is to use head phones.

ASUS laptops are notorious for 'sticking'.[/QUOTE]

Nope, it's a Toshiba Satellite.

[quote name='dohdough']I have a weird question. Are any of your power settings timed for 7 minutes?[/QUOTE]

Not that I'm aware of.

[quote name='Tsel']

EDIT: All drivers are up-to-date or so it says. I'm stumped. It goes in and out. I don't even have to shut anything down now. If I just wait a little while, the sound will be back.[/QUOTE]

Can you remember if you updated any drivers recently prior to the issue? Could be a conflict happening there.
(This happened to me updating the video card. Audio was locked out because it configured everything for HDMI audio w/ video. Frakkin toaster thought it knew best)

Have you tried to go back to a system restore point from before the problems started? Did you try headphones? It doesn't make sense to me why it's going in and out like that. It's like the speakers are being bypassed or something.

[quote name='dohdough']Have you tried to go back to a system restore point from before the problems started? Did you try headphones? It doesn't make sense to me why it's going in and out like that. It's like the speakers are being bypassed or something.[/QUOTE]

Haven't done the system restore yet, but that's what I'm planning on trying next. The sound was out, I plugged in headphones and heard sound through them, then unplugged and heard sound through the speakers. What gives?

The sound went out again, I plugged in my headphones and then immediately unplugged them and the sound was back. So weird.

EDIT: It gets even weirder. I accidentally plugged in my headphones in the wrong jack and the sound STILL CAME BACK ON. Now every time it goes off, I just plug or unplug that jack and it comes back. What. The. fuck.

As of now, it still happens regularly. I've tried everything; system restore, uninstalling/reinstalling/updating drivers, etc. It's so weird because all I have to do to get the sound to come back briefly is plug in my headphones into a jack, but it doesn't matter which jack and even the slightest touch brings the sound back. I'm stumped.

It seems like something is telling the computer to cut the speakers and push sound through the headphone jack, but corrects itself after you jack in, then out. Honestly, I'd just get some warranty work done on it because they'll have the diagnostic tools and service bulletins to fix it properly if it's a hardware problem.

I tried disabling the sound device, rebooting my computer, and then reenabling it and now I'm not getting any sound whatsoever through YouTube. VLC and iTunes are fine though.

bread's done
Back