Is a PS Vita worth it?

NEWTS2012

CAG Veteran
Hey all, just had a quick question...
Do you think a PS Vita is good investment at this point in time???
I was looking at the game selection and Uncharted and the new Assassin's Creed interests me but outside of that I'm not sure what's coming down the pipeline...
I'm kinda on the fence about getting one right now but I just wanted to see the different opinions people have on it right now...

Thanks!

I got one recently and love it, and I'm excited about the games coming out (Assassin, Persona 4 Golden, etc.)
Futureshop has the Vita + AC: Liberation + 4GB memory card bundle on sale right now with a $50 gift card (in-store purchase) or $50 rebate (online purchase), so I think now is a good time to get one!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you find one for around $150 then it might be a good buy but at $250 it is not since you have to buy a memory card.

Game wise the Vita offers very little. Uncharted is okay but is nowhere near as good as the PS3 games.

The next big releases would be:
Assassins Creed Liberation
Ragnarok Odyssey
Persona 4 Golden
COD Black Ops Declassified
Playstation All Stars

And then no games are planned between December 11, 2012 till February 5th, 2013.

I have had one since Launch and have used it very little except for playing the occasional Hots Shot Golf.

[quote name='StryderOmega']You forgot about virtues last reward and that music tap game that I can't recall the name of at the moment lol.[/QUOTE]

They are already out.

The good games that are out now:
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Hots Shots Golf World Invitational
Zero's Escape: Virtues Last Reward
Disgaea 3 (if you like the series)
Sound Shapes

That is all that really stood out as being solid games.

If you do not mind importing from Japan the you can add a few more titles to the list.

I've had my Vita for about 3-4 months now and I love it. Golden Abyss was my favourite Uncharted game, and Mutant Blobs Attack will probably always be in my top 10 of downloadable titles.

On top of the retail releases that were mentioned above, there is also a steady stream of downloadable titles, as well as an increase in cross-platform games (playstation all-stars for example).

Also, if you've had a PSP in the past, they are steadily increasing the backwards comparability of PSP games released via PSN. if you haven't had one, this is a great opportunity to play some of the back catalogue.

The major factor is price of course. As a strong digital platform, a 4 gb memory card is a joke. I have an 8 gb and am constantly having to delete and juggle games. Long term you'll want to upgrade to a 32 gb as soon as possible, which is going to tack on another $100. I lucked out and got my system with a $50 discount from SDM and further rebated with optimum points.

The other factor is portability. The 3G model is coming to Canada very soon, so you may want to wait until it is here. I personally don't look at the Vita as a "portable" system primarily because it is a bit bulky and I'm paranoid about damaging the screen or analog sticks while it's in my pocket. Also, with wifi being so prevalent, online capability through 3G isn't so important unless you plan on doing a lot of multiplayer or using Netflix/browser etc on the go.

[quote name='spiderman4657']If you have to ask if its worth it, it probably isn't.[/QUOTE]

This. Its different for everyone. While I can appreciate the sexy hardware, the software just doesn't do much for me and the memory card prices don't help much.

Ask yourself if you like the games, do you have a lot of games you're looking forward to in the future? If you have to have one, the Assassin's Creed bundle is a good buy.

Also not to sound like a fanboy but I'd recommend the 3DS at this point, it has far too many great games to be miss out on. The Vita right now is a wait and see situation to see what other games it gets.

Yeah, I've been weighing this question too... Bottom line for me is I've got a ton of stuff to play, but if I didn't I'm not sure the software is enough yet (and there's no big-time killer app for me at this point) and I'd like it to be a little cheaper.

For the record, the 3G version is available in Canada now.

Not worth it at launch , but if you can find it now under $200 (with or without a memory card) I'd say go for it.

Especially when PS+ is coming next month (with free games!!) and a handful of killers title that would definitely satisfy any gamers taste.

As a PC and Console gamers that have picked up both 3DS and Vita at launch; Sony handheld definitely suit my gaming style much more than 3DS .

Don't worry too much about the memory card, you can always back up your data on a PC or PS3 and restore it anytime. I have a 8gb and never had any trouble with space on my Vita

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Nobody mentioned the MGS collection, they're only some of the best games of all time.[/QUOTE]

Superior on consoles. Multiplats and crossbuy (which is nice if you have both PS3 and Vita) shouldn't be the selling points of the Vita. It can't be a console-hand-me-down experience, it needs to have its own identity.

[quote name='Hung_real']

As for the memory card, you can always back up your data on a PC or PS3 and restore it anytime.[/QUOTE]

I forgot that if you erase the game/data from the Vita without backing up it permanently deletes it for most games, I had to start over in Hot Shots because of this.

Also MGS Collection is not the HD versions so not much point since it does not add anything, unlike the 3DS version of MGS 3 adding crouch walk.

Seems like you're trying to make Vita's library seem worse by disregarding good games for silly reasons. I don't own Vita but I know that a good game is a good game.

[quote name='clonesniper666']
Also MGS Collection is not the HD versions so not much point since it does not add anything, unlike the 3DS version of MGS 3 adding crouch walk.[/QUOTE]

Say what you want but my MGS collection looks gorgeous on that little OLED screen :bouncy:

And I still hate Kojima for releasing MGS3DS , the texture are sub-par, the frame rate drop here and there .... and don't even get me start on the draw distance :whistle2:#

[quote name='Hung_real']Say what you want but my MGS collection looks gorgeous on that little OLED screen :bouncy:

And I still hate Kojima for releasing MGS3DS , the texture are sub-par, the frame rate drop here and there .... and don't even get me start on the draw distance :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say the game doesn't look good but it is the same price a the PS3 collection and is 1 game short.

I also hate the 3DS version but th crouch walk was nice

[quote name='CoachHines']Superior on consoles. Multiplats and crossbuy (which is nice if you have both PS3 and Vita) shouldn't be the selling points of the Vita.[/QUOTE]

Only relevant if the OP has a current-gen console. If we're listing the pros and cons of the Vita on its own merits, then any good game that's available on it, port or not, multiplatform or no, should be taken into consideration.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!!!
I do have a XBOX and PS3 but I was juggling the idea of a PS Vita cause the FS/BB deal right now... Oh first world problems!!! hahaha...

Stardust = awesome. Replay Value with the leader boards.

Free content comes out all the time via the psn. As mentioned earlier with Ps+ you can be guaranteed free games.

Memory cards are not THAT bad. I just picked up (amazon.ca sale) 3 4 gig cards for $15. They retail at $20 ea.

To date i own (never paying more then $20 a game) stardust, lumines, mortal kombat, MvC, Little deviants, wipeout 2048, Resistance, unit 13 .

Also for Cheap Accessories i suggest this: monoprice.com

Its also worth noting that because of the lackluster sales retailers are always having sales on their games. A large number of games are $20.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Seems like you're trying to make Vita's library seem worse by disregarding good games for silly reasons. I don't own Vita but I know that a good game is a good game.[/QUOTE]

It's not a silly reason when PS3 MGSHDC is 720p, 60 fps and has Peace Walker over the PSV one, for the same price no less. That's the facts.

And I wouldn't bother with a PSV, personally, until next year when there's more games. Only thing I'm interested in is P4G, and that's something I already have. Ragnarok as well, but that's something I can wait for. If anything is going to make it a must have for me come the new year, it's Sony giving it a spotlight at a trade show and showing off new games for it.

I would wait until next year as well. My son has a Vita and it just doesn't get used. There were a few games but Sony's support for it has been lackluster. Hopefully that changes in the future.
Besides next year it will be cheaper and all the games you want will be cheaper and there will be more games added to the list by then. Besides this place is about being a cheap ass.

PS Vita is my main hand held since I got it (and secondary gaming platform behind 360 - and I pretty much got em all), and it only keeps getting better.

Right now I'd say it's my 2nd favorite hand held of all time, behind GBA....they could honestly stop making games tomorrow, and I'd be happy with my purchase. I don't touch my PSP, 3DS, GBAs, or DSi any more.

Games like Silent Hill Book of Memories or Mutant Blobs Attack may not be for the average Angry Birds/Call of Duty gamer...but if you got an open mind & want more original/creative games, they're some of the best hand held experiecnces I've had....and I've owned every main platform and have been gaming since the 80's...

But honestly, you should just compare Vita with it's direct competition - iPad/Andriod & 3DS.

Little Big Plant Vita, Mortal Kombat, Uncharted, Rayman Origins, Capcom's fighters, Blaze Blue, Gravity Rush, WipeOut 2048, Virtua Tennis 4, MGS HD Collection, Mutant Blobs, Sound Shapes, Zen Pinball 2 (hands down the best version), Pinball Arcade, etc...are so far above & beyond anything similar on competing platforms it`s ridiculous.

That’s not even considering PSP and PSOne backwards compatibility...

I don't think it is worth it at this time.

I had a Vita for a good 3 months before selling the system and games on amazon.

Most of the good games are ports/Vita versions of PS3 titles which in my honest opinion play much better using a PS3 controller rather than the small Vita control sticks and buttons. Playing MGS Collection, UMVC3, and Uncharted felt awkward in the hand and most of time I ended up turning the system off to play the much preferred PS3 version. The one game I did enjoy was Gravity Rush, although again it is an experience that can be found similarly on the PS3 (Crackdown, Infamous) and alone it is not worth spending $150-$200 on a handheld for.

Until an adequate library of games made to play on the Vita is made I don't think it is worth picking up at this time.

I'd recommend a PS3 and a PSP to someone before they pick up a Vita.

And the reason I have my PSP as opposed to the Vita is because it is much more portable.

Not worth it. My favorite game on the Vita is Mutant Blobs attack, which can be purchased on PC. PS Vita is currently all flash, no substance. Controls for Uncharted leave something to be desired. Fighting in Gravity Rush is horrible, because of the controls. Haven't tried Little Big Planet, but I have never been too invested in that franchise. Too scared to buy resistance because of the horrible reviews. MGS HD collection is alright, but that game has been rereleased so many times already. I won't buy mainly to play PS games. I want to play new games that make us of the technology. PS one games are for nostalgia, but its not your main course.

Anyways, I wish I could sell you my Vita, that I hardly use. Im too scared to mail such an expensive item to a buyer. Im not much of a physical seller.

Bought one at release and have been thoroughly disappointed. It seemed like there were going to be a whole bunch of great games, but most ended up lackluster with little I want on the horizon. The games I have:

Uncharted - was amusing for a while but got bored of the same style missions about halfway through
Modnation Racers - It was cheap, but I still prefer mario kart controls
Wipeout 2048 - I enjoy these games, but they always have a sharp learning curve if you don't play it frequently enough
Ninja Gaiden - Good game, but nothing really new if you've played it
Army Corps of Hell - worth maybe $5
Fifa Soccer - I like the use of touch controls, but the rear touchpad becomes annoying, because your player tries to shoot if you actually rest a finger on it
Lego Batman 2- terrible port of the 3ds version ( I miss the original star wars trilogy on the psp)
Unit 13- was fun, but I don't keep up with leaderboards
Resistance- Was a really boring story and game in general
Hot Shots golf - one of my favorite franchises, but not really a reason to buy the console
Gravity Rush- Interesting controls and story, but fighting is a pain
Lumines- Another one of my favorite franchises, but again not enough of a reason to buy the system
Metal Gear Solid - The touch controls really didn't add anything, so unless you need this portable buy the HD collection ( you said you had a ps3)
Little Big Planet- Just getting into it, but it is holding my attention better than the other 3 in this series
Escape Plan - Fun but short lived
Mutant Blobs Attack - Probably my favorite game on the console.

Overall the titles have been pretty mediocre (either lack of story or poor controls). I love playstation, but similar to the psp they have proven they don't understand pacing for portable games. If I have a few minutes of down time I can't pull this out and play a mission. I have to save (if possible) in the middle and pick it up later when I have to remember what was going on. If you want a portable console I would suggest the DS or 3DS. The games tend to be better pacing, there is a lot bigger game collection, the prices tend to be cheaper for the quality, and the battery life allows you to leave it on and come back to it sometimes days later.

Sorry this was such a long post. I don't want this system to fail, as its abilities are amazing (and I want them to continue making better games). But the game content and prices are just ridiculous right now for what you have to look forward to.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Got mine for $110 used on cowboom... not sure if that was worth it[/QUOTE]

Not bad since it is a really nice piece of hardware. I think I only had $120 in my 3G Vita and 16GB memory card at launch thanks to BestBuy last year.

If you can get a Vita for $100-$150 I would say it is a good deal, even better if you can get a memory card with it.

I love my Vita. Gravity Rush is actually one of my favorite games this generation. Very original and a breath of fresh air.

Most people on the internet don't understand that their (usually biased & uninformed) opinion is not fact.

If I were to look to the internet for advice, I'd actually investigate/consider the opposite of whatever the popular opinion is. It has more chance at being the correct way to go.

If I trusted the internet (and subsequently gaming journalism, because that’s where the average Joe, who makes up the internet, grabs their opinion from), I would miss out on a ton of amazing games.

[quote name='True Kronic']Most people on the internet don't understand that their (usually biased & uninformed) opinion is not fact.

If I were to look to the internet for advice, I'd actually investigate/consider the opposite of whatever the popular opinion is. It has more chance at being the correct way to go.

If I trusted the internet (and subsequently gaming journalism, because that’s where the average Joe, who makes up the internet, grabs their opinion from), I would miss out on a ton of amazing games.[/QUOTE]

People usually say things like this when they really like something that popular opinion is trending against, sorry to say. If this thread were 99% pro Vita I am sure you'd be fine siding with "popular opinion"

The OP *asked* for opinion most likely to measure the satisfaction of folks who have already spent the money. Nothing wrong with that. I am sure there are plenty of people who love their Vita, but as platform launches go, this is clearly not a wildly successful new platform.

Even if the game library had been phenomenal with regular releases, and the pricing more reasonable, it would have been facing an uphill battle simply as a result of market dynamics. As it is, with a high price tag, lackluster library, and slow release cycle, even many *hardcore* players are taking a pass. You cant just gloss over that with an "everyone is just an idiot!" argument.

I own pretty much every portable made since the Sega Nomad just to have them, but I wouldnt buy a Vita at full retail. Used for $100 just to add it to the collection sure, but full retail no way. The fact that so many hardcore gamers agree with me is a problem with the system, not with us.

[quote name='True Kronic']But honestly, you should just compare Vita with it's direct competition - iPad/Andriod & 3DS.

Little Big Plant Vita, Mortal Kombat, Uncharted, Rayman Origins, Capcom's fighters, Blaze Blue, Gravity Rush, WipeOut 2048, Virtua Tennis 4, MGS HD Collection, Mutant Blobs, Sound Shapes, Zen Pinball 2 (hands down the best version), Pinball Arcade, etc...are so far above & beyond anything similar on competing platforms it`s ridiculous.

That’s not even considering PSP and PSOne backwards compatibility...[/QUOTE]

Yes. I'm with you on that. I own a own all 3, Vita, 3DS, iPad (and iPhone). Vita gets the most play time (the iPhone gets more sessions though, much smaller, though). I'm really only buying the Vita exclusives. I just wish I had more time to play it.

[quote name='antlp89']I don't think it is worth it at this time.

I had a Vita for a good 3 months before selling the system and games on amazon.

Most of the good games are ports/Vita versions of PS3 titles which in my honest opinion play much better using a PS3 controller rather than the small Vita control sticks and buttons. Playing MGS Collection, UMVC3, and Uncharted felt awkward in the hand and most of time I ended up turning the system off to play the much preferred PS3 version. The one game I did enjoy was Gravity Rush, although again it is an experience that can be found similarly on the PS3 (Crackdown, Infamous) and alone it is not worth spending $150-$200 on a handheld for.

Until an adequate library of games made to play on the Vita is made I don't think it is worth picking up at this time.

I'd recommend a PS3 and a PSP to someone before they pick up a Vita.

And the reason I have my PSP as opposed to the Vita is because it is much more portable.[/QUOTE]

Gravity Rush has very little in common with Crackdown and Infamous, IMO. Superhero games, yes, but the gameplay of Gravity Rush is entirely different. It's a unique concept. Along with Uncharted, truly justified the purchase.

[quote name='stevo1002']Bought one at release and have been thoroughly disappointed. It seemed like there were going to be a whole bunch of great games, but most ended up lackluster with little I want on the horizon. The games I have:

Uncharted - was amusing for a while but got bored of the same style missions about halfway through
Modnation Racers - It was cheap, but I still prefer mario kart controls
Wipeout 2048 - I enjoy these games, but they always have a sharp learning curve if you don't play it frequently enough
Ninja Gaiden - Good game, but nothing really new if you've played it
Army Corps of Hell - worth maybe $5
Fifa Soccer - I like the use of touch controls, but the rear touchpad becomes annoying, because your player tries to shoot if you actually rest a finger on it
Lego Batman 2- terrible port of the 3ds version ( I miss the original star wars trilogy on the psp)
Unit 13- was fun, but I don't keep up with leaderboards
Resistance- Was a really boring story and game in general
Hot Shots golf - one of my favorite franchises, but not really a reason to buy the console
Gravity Rush- Interesting controls and story, but fighting is a pain
Lumines- Another one of my favorite franchises, but again not enough of a reason to buy the system
Metal Gear Solid - The touch controls really didn't add anything, so unless you need this portable buy the HD collection ( you said you had a ps3)
Little Big Planet- Just getting into it, but it is holding my attention better than the other 3 in this series
Escape Plan - Fun but short lived
Mutant Blobs Attack - Probably my favorite game on the console.

Overall the titles have been pretty mediocre (either lack of story or poor controls). I love playstation, but similar to the psp they have proven they don't understand pacing for portable games. If I have a few minutes of down time I can't pull this out and play a mission. I have to save (if possible) in the middle and pick it up later when I have to remember what was going on. If you want a portable console I would suggest the DS or 3DS. The games tend to be better pacing, there is a lot bigger game collection, the prices tend to be cheaper for the quality, and the battery life allows you to leave it on and come back to it sometimes days later.

Sorry this was such a long post. I don't want this system to fail, as its abilities are amazing (and I want them to continue making better games). But the game content and prices are just ridiculous right now for what you have to look forward to.[/QUOTE]

You're missing some pretty great titles; Gravity Rush, MotorStorm RC, Sound Shapes, Super Stardust Delta, Dokuro, Zero Escape. Clearly, there's a lot to play!

[quote name='mlambert890']People usually say things like this when they really like something that popular opinion is trending against, sorry to say. If this thread were 99% pro Vita I am sure you'd be fine siding with "popular opinion"

The OP *asked* for opinion most likely to measure the satisfaction of folks who have already spent the money. Nothing wrong with that. I am sure there are plenty of people who love their Vita, but as platform launches go, this is clearly not a wildly successful new platform.

Even if the game library had been phenomenal with regular releases, and the pricing more reasonable, it would have been facing an uphill battle simply as a result of market dynamics. As it is, with a high price tag, lackluster library, and slow release cycle, even many *hardcore* players are taking a pass. You cant just gloss over that with an "everyone is just an idiot!" argument.

I own pretty much every portable made since the Sega Nomad just to have them, but I wouldnt buy a Vita at full retail. Used for $100 just to add it to the collection sure, but full retail no way. The fact that so many hardcore gamers agree with me is a problem with the system, not with us.[/QUOTE]

This is where the Vita picks up mate. In order for the system to have regular releases, there needs to be a base of players who actually buy the games. If everyone buys in, and buys games, publishers will provide us with more games (which is a little insane, considering how great the library is, considering the system's been out for less than a year, here).

~

To sum up my opinion; This is the best possible time to buy a Vita. I bought it at launch, and had a great time with my Vita, especially Uncharted, but then, after the initial awesome launch titles, releases were infrequent. That's changed recently. In fact, there's too much to play on Vita, right now. Plus, if you're primarily a console gamer (as myself), and the Vita is just a compliment, the library at present could probably last you... Oh, I don't know, a year or two? =$ If it's the ONLY platform you're playing on, you've still got a solid few months, for sure.

I don't believe the deals on the Vita are going to get any better than this either. And Sony's recent statements seem to place a price drop an eternity away, E3 at the earliest.

Just get it, I got mine since launch and don't regret it, great games are coming out in the next weeks and the games that are already out are great and some of em are cheap, the only game I regret buying was Army Corps of Hell.

I can recommend Rayman Origins, Mortal Kombat, MGSC, Uncharted, Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom, Super Stardust, Hot Shots Golf, Sound Shapes, Escape Plan

Also some games surprised me like Resistance Burning Skys and Gravity Rush, I almost didn't buy em because of bad/so so reviews but I enjoyed them

[quote name='Booyakz']
This is where the Vita picks up mate. In order for the system to have regular releases, there needs to be a base of players who actually buy the games. If everyone buys in, and buys games, publishers will provide us with more games (which is a little insane, considering how great the library is, considering the system's been out for less than a year, here).

.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I feel reading this thread. If you feel like the Vita isn't worth it yet, that's your opinion and can't be really argued against. That being said, if we (the consumers) don't support it, it will never be "worth" it.

I am holding off because of the whole no bc for PSP drive. This could have been a great opportunity to keep PSP fans happy by keeping the drive in the back but instead you got this touch panel in the back. With sony's history of revisions, I am going to wait til the next revision comes out.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I am holding off because of the whole no bc for PSP drive. This could have been a great opportunity to keep PSP fans happy by keeping the drive in the back but instead you got this touch panel in the back. With sony's history of revisions, I am going to wait til the next revision comes out.[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think a later version will have a UMD drive. Sony has moved on completely from the PSP and I would be absolutely shocked if a 3rd party made an external UMD drive for the Vita.

I don't use CAG nearly as often anymore but I saw this and wanted to add my thoughts on it.

The PS Vita is my favourite videogame system of the moment. I don't play my PS3 or 360 very much anymore, mostly use them as an entertainment hub in the living room for family and guests.

The price is honestly pretty damn steep, $250 + a 32gb proprietary memory card at $80 or whatever I paid (by price matching CostCo at Best Buy). I feel like the 32gb memory card is almost mandatory, if there was a 64gb one I'd have bought that I think. I download almost all of my games.

Incentives: if you decide to buy a 32gb memory card and are cool with downloading your games: you can purchase all of your games digitally on day one release, they're usually cheaper, they seem to include all of the dlc that comes from pre-ordering physical copies (little big planet vita included both dlc pre-order bonuses instead of none or just one), if you buy psn $ cards from my experience there is no tax when buying the card or when buying from the store so the ~$4 usual savings from digital purchasing really is more like an ~$8 to ~$12 savings if you live in B.C. On top of that, I use it for netflix and occassionally to skype, use youtube, browse the internet, watch downloaded movies, etc. You can stream some content off your PS3 (if you have one) which is also nice. There is an ever growing amount of ps1 games available if you're into that. They're introducing Playstation Plus to Vita in November, which if you already have PS+ for your PS3 account will transfer to both PS3 and Vita at no extra cost (a nice bonus). Some very good Vita titles already (uncharted, unit 13 is pretty good, gravity rush, hot shots golf, and the upcoming AC3:L and ragnarok odyssey as well as a few more all look very solid from what I've seen). Some very good PSN games as well such as tales from space: mutant blobs attack (a lot funner than I was anticipating even with all the great feedback I've read about it). A catalog of seemingly every PSP game with a few titles missing, the always growing ps1 catalog, and cross-buy and cross-play features seeming to gain more momentum. And the screen itself is beautiful.

Disadvantages: honestly, it's a pretty damn high initial amount of money to invest, $350 - $370 and some change (including taxes) but I think they usually have some incentives - buying an AC3:L bundle with a $50 gift card tacked on makes the initial burn a little easier to deal with. You can't use umd cards from the PSP days on your Vita, which sucks, a lot. Not every ps1 game is on the PS Store yet, same goes for PSP games (your favourite game might not be available). Not a great amount of developer support yet (although I do see that changing now and being more noticeable sooner than later).

If you want to use a Vita for entertainment (netflix, skype, youtube, downloaded videos and/or music) as well as being able to play some very good games from 3 generations (ps1, psp, psvita, and a few ps2 games) PSN games, cross-buy/cross-play games, I'd say it's a pretty good investment. A simply put great piece of hardware that is at the moment lacking a deep customer base and better developer support, but with an improvement to one comes an improvement to both of those things.

Whether you end up getting a Vita or not, I hope reading what I wrote was helpful and insightful. Good luck, O.P.

Unlike some people, I'll be honest here: I *want* to evangelize the Vita because I want it to do better then it has. I bought a 3DS and it has been collecting dust for almost a year since Mario 3DS (Luigi Mansion and Paper Mario will probably make me bring it out, but once they're done...?).

Meanwhile I've been carrying my Vita around and using it every day.

Full disclosure: I don't own an iphone/ipad/PSP/PS1/PS2, so the Vita is my "movie player / comic book reader / old game player / etc" on the go, and the value may be reduced for those with other machines that provide the same functionality, but the games I have gotten thus far have held my attention significantly:

----------------

- Uncharted: GA (yes, it's more like UNC1 then 2 or 3, but aside from a few sketchy controls was a pretty fun romp most of the time)

- Escape Plan (cheap PSN game, tons of fun, deserves our money)

- Gravity Rush (not for everyone, but to paraphrase the old beer ad, those who like it... like it *A LOT*!)

- LBP Vita (I bought 1 & 2 cheap for PS3 and never really got into it, the reviews and a great FS trade in deal convinced me and I have not been able to put this sucker down since HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! This series was MEANT for Vita...)

- Pulzar (a 2$ game and I loooove it! The best use of AR cards I've ever seen, in fact, the only time I've ever seen them actually be fun and not merely a gimmick.)

- Plus some PSP/PS1/PS2 games in between
-----------

Games I want to get (current and upcoming):

- Sound Shapes (crossplay)
- MGS HD (crossplay)
- AC III:Lib
- Persona 4
- Ratchet and Clank (crossplay)
- Sly Cooper (crossplay)
- Soul Sacrifice
- Zero Escape
- Smart As (John Cleese + Brain Age FTW!)

---------------------------------

Bottom line:

PROs:
- enough great games and features for someone who has a job and not massive amounts of free time (possibly not enough for those with oodles of time, like kids)
- I love the screen
- It is a great SYSTEM, so the more ppl buy it the more games will come down the pipe
- It uses the battery better then 3DS, I can leave it all day and it won't die on its own, which is the main thing I got annoyed with on 3DS, even if I disabled wifi.

CONs:
- the memory cards (a hidden cost and I DON'T like hidden costs. That was a bullsh*t move, Sony. Make them non-proprietary or cheap.)
- price drop / new version may be incoming within 6 months (but then again it may not)
- The battery life is really not as awesome as it could be. Good for short trips, but not all day car rides.

---------------------------------------

"Your move, scumbag!" (err... I mean... nice person who is considering a Vita purchase)
---
Sam.

[quote name='Wikkidkarma']This is exactly how I feel reading this thread. If you feel like the Vita isn't worth it yet, that's your opinion and can't be really argued against. That being said, if we (the consumers) don't support it, it will never be "worth" it.[/QUOTE]

The PSV was an absolute no-show during Sony's press conference at the last E3; you know, their main event that sets up the rest of the event? If it's the case where Sony spends any time of their conference to focus on 3D gaming (2011, which they have since dropped) and they completely ignore PSV the following year (2012), you know there's problems behind the scenes.

What I'm saying is, before consumers can even start convincing third parties that PSV is a viable platform, Sony has to do that themselves first, and that's by having the MAIN internal developers create original content for it and not their B teams. And while it's noted they've attracted a few third party exclusive, something like a sub-Wii effort Call of Duty won't cut it.

And no, this is actual concern and not trolling if anyone was to assume. I'm not particularly big on the idea of a handheld future that comprises of touch screen apps.

Only if you like whats on it right now or MUST play Persona 4 Golden. They haven't showed off prety much anything for 2013. (Gamefaqs shows nothing for 2013 for most systems, but we know the 3DS is getting Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion along with lots of other gams). Also, Sony is going to cut the price as soon as they can (IE It's more profitable for them or they can break even and make money off software) .. probably sometime 2013?

I can't stress enough that a lot of the Vita games that are coming out will probably better on consoles as well. IE Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, Need For Speed , Sonic All Star Racing and Lego Lord Of The Rings.

That's also my biggest beef with the system: Games that are both handheld and consoles. As a console owner I feel it hard to justify buying a game on a handheld when It's on a console. I'm sure thats very good for people who don't own a PS3/360 and just a Vita, but they are in the vast minority.

[quote name='mlambert890']People usually say things like this when they really like something that popular opinion is trending against, sorry to say. If this thread were 99% pro Vita I am sure you'd be fine siding with "popular opinion"

I own pretty much every portable made since the Sega Nomad just to have them, but I wouldnt buy a Vita at full retail. Used for $100 just to add it to the collection sure, but full retail no way. The fact that so many hardcore gamers agree with me is a problem with the system, not with us.[/QUOTE]

Eh...seems like the thread is about half and half, and the people who actually like their Vitas make more sense than those who don't.

The nonsensical arguments like "Vita has no games" or "Vita games aren't made for portable gaming" are just people's biased opinions. They’re not facts, far from it.

You're entire post just proves my point perfectly....but you probably don't understand why.

And no - hardcore gamers DO NOT make up the internet...the average, casual Joe does. The only FACT here is the bigger your presence is on the internet, the less time is being spent actually playing & enjoying video games (which explains the massive presence of Nintendo zombies on the internet, cuz y'know, if you ain't got nothing to play on your systems...may as well complain on the internet...)

I havent been updating on CAG as I ahould, but this thread caught my interests.

The system came out in february, was not interested at all back then. But I honestly feel that after 8 months it has made incredibly great progress and I dont regret my recent investment.

the T1s from futureshop really changed my decision on whether or not to invest in a vita. But looking back at the psp, my most used piece of hardware since 2007, I was ready to put down the money on the vita, because the psp never dissapointed me and it was the ONLY reason I got into the playstation family and ditched PC gaming and nintendo subsquently. I picked up a ps3 in 2011, and while I feel that I had more memorable times with the psp, I havent really spent too much time on the ps3 due to time constraints but easily racked up a backlog of 25 physcial games and 30+ downloadable games since I picked up the system in october 2011 and I dont regret it at all.

So ask yourself this. If the psp didnt dissapoint you, and the ps3 didnt, and you enjoyed both or either of them, the vita wont dissapoint you either.

I was waiting on a deal since late august, but nothing popped up so I picked one up used by the time lbp vita came out with uncharted GA, a 4gb for $150 from some guy in my area.

Though Im not a big fan of uncharted, it is a good game, never bothered to finish it because I have only had the system for a month and been playing wipeout, lbp, and allstars.

Already preordered ps allstars for the ps3 to give me vita crossbuy. Game will be a good favourite of mines, and I tried the beta out for awhile. I definitely prefer the vita one pver my ps3 one on my 43" out of preference and privacy, the two are identical.

Lbp vita is the best lbp I have played to date. The rear and front touch controls are not gimmicky at all, the implemented it into the game in the perfect way, and the online is much better than lbp2.

As for wipeout, I originally picked up my psp after watching the wipeout pulse trailer over and over again on the internet. It was the very first video game I pickedmup at lauch, and I didnt regret it. Nearly 100%ed the game.
It also pushed out alot of features the psp didnt have back thrn such as screenshots and ingame music, online gameplay via infraatructure. It was a total gem that was looked over, IMO. That game, gundam vs gundam, jeanne darc, and ys seven were the top 4 on my psp.

The vita version, not so much. The first thing that came to my mind is the graphics. They are ps3 level on that screen honestly, you wont get better graphics on a portable system for awhile that will make a huge push in the industry for awhile. The game is missing racebox, and the gameplay feels more frustrating than pulse. Pulse was challenging, but the vita version is just frustrating as the tracks are much tighter, and the soundtrack is garbage compared to pulse.

My main gripe is that there are only 5 team ships and you have to slowly unlock them. EG x doesn't exist yet, which was my favourite team and my preferred ship, so I been resorted to AG systems since I cant unlock pir hana yet either. So yes, the game looks amazing, but after being out of wipeout for alot of years (i siipped out on wipeout hd) the controls arent as tight as they were, and its really frustrating. It maybe too much to handle for newcomers, so be wary. I will be purchasing the dlc for this and checking out wipeout hd for the first time as well on my ps3 soon enough, so a return to this framchise ( a shamr the dev was closed down).

On top of that the vita comes with a few free great titles like treasure park and ToM blitz. ToM blitz especially, since its probably my most played casual ttle and most played puzzle game ever. Its also the first videogame my mother enjoys and steals from me alot. Infact, I wish I never showed her it, she doesn't like to share. Frobisher says just came out on tuesday and is also free. Its similar to warioware/ simon says. I prefer warioware, but this game was free and plays great, thoughh some requests like using the rear touch pad to scratch frobisher's back are plain creepy and wrong.

So if you didnt read any of my mini software reviews above. The psp felt like a portable ps2 with a ps3 media center kinda layout. The vita feels like a portable ps3 that is truly next gen for portable consoles. I wouldnt even call it a handheld, my 3ds is a handheld, I got in february, hardly ever use it. To me, that aystem is a dissapointment and probably the last thing I will purchase from nintendo for awhile.

So with only 3 titles I purchased, the vita has exceeded my expectations. I gave away my 3ds to my brother if that doesnt reassure your opinion.

I should have mentioned that the main reasons I got this was to play shadow of the colosuss through remote play. It runs beatifully by the way, but I only did it a few times and started playing vita titles.

Funny, I originally got my psp as a movie played/ mp3 player but ended up seeing wipeout pulse and buying games for it . I just wanted thr vita to play shadow of the colosuss away from the tv, but emded up enjoying the vita for its own thing.

I hope if turns out as amazing the psp did, amd it probably will.

Loooking forward to my preordered copy off allstars. Im buying wipeout 2048 dlc, and stardust on the 31st to put towards to october psn promo.

Really looking forward to crossplay/crossbuy for sly4. Might pick upmassassinsmcreed liberations at a later date, as I have enough titles to play for now.

Also please forgive me for typos, I was typing this out on my ipad.

[quote name='poiuiu']The PSV was an absolute no-show during Sony's press conference at the last E3; you know, their main event that sets up the rest of the event? If it's the case where Sony spends any time of their conference to focus on 3D gaming (2011, which they have since dropped) and they completely ignore PSV the following year (2012), you know there's problems behind the scenes.

What I'm saying is, before consumers can even start convincing third parties that PSV is a viable platform, Sony has to do that themselves first, and that's by having the MAIN internal developers create original content for it and not their B teams. And while it's noted they've attracted a few third party exclusive, something like a sub-Wii effort Call of Duty won't cut it.

And no, this is actual concern and not trolling if anyone was to assume. I'm not particularly big on the idea of a handheld future that comprises of touch screen apps.[/QUOTE]

Mate, your ignorance is showing (or perhaps you just don't follow the industry very closely? If that's true, disregard that comment.). Yes, Sony did essentially skip over the Vita at E3. Gamescom and TGS? Not so much. Gamescom, they announced first party exclusives, namely; Tearaway and Killzone Mercenary, plus showed off some already released games, and detailed the Cross-Buy feature, for games like R&C:Full Frontal Assault, PS:All-Stars and SC:Thieves in Time. TGS was much more Japan-focused (for obvious reasons) and they announced God Eater 2 and Valhalla Knights 3, and they showed of a lot of Japan-centric games, along with stuff like SH:Book of Memories, LBP, PS:All-Stars. Oh, and the re-release of Muramasa (which would be pretty awesome on a Vita).

So, yes, you are correct, E3 sucked for the Vita. Thankfully, E3 doesn't matter much, there's loads of trade shows to pack with announcements and junk.

Oh, and MediaMolecule and Guerrilla, not B teams. Nor was Japan studio on Gravity Rush. Or Liverpool on Wipeout 2048. Or Evolution on MotorStorm RC. Or Zipper on Unit 13. Most of the Sony stuff was produced by great first party devs. >.<

And throwing out the baby with the bathwater much? We don't know Declassified will be rubbish yet, maybe Nstigate figured things out, they might bounce back from Resistance: Burning Skies.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Only if you like whats on it right now or MUST play Persona 4 Golden. They haven't showed off prety much anything for 2013. (Gamefaqs shows nothing for 2013 for most systems, but we know the 3DS is getting Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion along with lots of other gams). Also, Sony is going to cut the price as soon as they can (IE It's more profitable for them or they can break even and make money off software) .. probably sometime 2013?

I can't stress enough that a lot of the Vita games that are coming out will probably better on consoles as well. IE Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, Need For Speed , Sonic All Star Racing and Lego Lord Of The Rings.

That's also my biggest beef with the system: Games that are both handheld and consoles. As a console owner I feel it hard to justify buying a game on a handheld when It's on a console. I'm sure thats very good for people who don't own a PS3/360 and just a Vita, but they are in the vast minority.[/QUOTE]

Assassin's Creed is a different game! There's stuff on the way, just no solid dates. Last I remember, Killzone, Kickbeat, God Eater 2, Sly, Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway andare all slated for 2013. Sly is definitely early February.

I only buy the exlcusives, and I'm satisfied. I'd like another Uncharted, or something SR3-like, but satisfied.

[quote name='Booyakz']Mate, your ignorance is showing (or perhaps you just don't follow the industry very closely? If that's true, disregard that comment.). [/quote]
You're right, I don't follow the industry and haven't for over a year. I essentially stopped when followings news became too much of a chore, gaming in general is headed in a different direction than I want it to, and most conversations relating to it invariably leads to pointless name-calling that goes nowhere. The most recent Keighley picture actually sums this up nicely.

TGS was much more Japan-focused (for obvious reasons) and they announced God Eater 2 and Valhalla Knights 3, and they showed of a lot of Japan-centric games, along with stuff like SH:Book of Memories, LBP, PS:All-Stars. Oh, and the re-release of Muramasa (which would be pretty awesome on a Vita).
Not gonna comment on Gamescon stuff since that's coming over eventually, but stuff like God Eater 2 and Valhalla Knights 3 (ha) sounds like support NamcoBandai had no choice to finish since they expected PSV to continue where PSP left off. Whether they'll continue to show support or not remains to be seen; this is especially the case when the PSV has only recently sold 1 million in its home territory. (japan and na sales is pretty much the only aspect of gaming I still follow). And Valhalla Knights is not a series to write home about, regardless of which system it comes out in.
And while it's technically support, don't give me drek like Muramasa. It wasn't good on Wii, it won't be any different on PSV.

So, yes, you are correct, E3 sucked for the Vita. Thankfully, E3 doesn't matter much, there's loads of trade shows to pack with announcements and junk.
E3 may not be relevant to gamers anymore, but it's still the biggest show gaming centric gathering featured in North America, and it's where Sony shows off stuff which gets reported to the casual customer, ie the people that keep the industry afloat, ie the people Sony needs to sell to. Sony already has their mid to biggest fans in the bag, they need to convince the general (smart phone owning) populous that the PSV is worth buying. And since I don't know Sony's habit of public relations (like most general consumers), I can only rely on E3.

Oh, and MediaMolecule and Guerrilla, not B teams. Nor was Japan studio on Gravity Rush. Or Liverpool on Wipeout 2048. Or Evolution on MotorStorm RC. Or Zipper on Unit 13. Most of the Sony stuff was produced by great first party devs. >.

Sony is so horrible at pricing and marketing in the US. I wish I could smack all of their marketing masterminds for making the PS Vita such a uphill battle.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to AC liberation this week! Might pick up LBP Vita alog with it!

I didn't think the Vita had a great launch, but decided to buy one around a month ago when it was announced that the PSOne downloadable games would be playable. I love having a dozen or so classic PSOne RPGs on the thing at all times in case I feel like playing Final Fantasy or Chrono Cross.

I use my Vita a decent amount, far more than my 3DS. I really like that the games I've bought for it feel like a console game that hasn't been scaled down to work on a portable. Hot Shots, Katamari, and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 impressed me a lot, as did the recent beta for PlayStation All-Stars. It impresses me to no end that Sony is working on cross-compatibility and offering a download of the Vita version of some games when you buy the PS3 one. I've been enjoying Retro City Rampage that way on both PS3 and Vita, and I look forward to getting the full version of All-Stars when it comes out.

The online capabilities are nice with the built-in web brower, friend list, Twitter, and such. I'd probably use it for Facebook as well if the interface wasn't so clunky (scrolling with the rear touch pad is a stupid idea and results it way too much accidental scrolling and clicking).

It's a nice little system. I like it far more than I did the PSP, and if Sony keeps releasing a wide range of games for it, then I'm sure it will keep me buying games for a long time.

I absolutely love the Vita. I just hate the games. Uncharted could have been amazing like its console brothers, and the first chapter illustrates that, but it goes downhill once it brings in the touch, camera, and motion features. It turns into more of a Vita tech demo, sort of like a "look at all the things you can do with your new toy!" rather than an awesome portable Uncharted entry. This alone pissed me off to no end. I couldn't finish it. That says A LOT for me considering its Uncharted, probably my favorite game franchise of this console generation.

Modnation Racers also could have been amazing. It wasn't. They managed to take a popular online-oriented game from the PS3, put it on a fully-featured online-oriented handheld, and left out all online-oriented features except for user-created content. How could they screw that up?! Laziness is all I can think of.

The system is amazing and is capable of so much, but considering the length of time its been out, there should have at least been a bunch of decent games announced by now, or at least a system seller, but there haven't been. I'm holding onto my Vita just in case, but I don't have high hopes.

bread's done
Back