Windows 8 for $15

CoachHines

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
EDIT: It seems people are still being able to get the exploit to work. Check the most recent posts to get caught up and good luck.

Not exactly gaming related but I'm sure people can appreciate a good deal when you see it.

Go to https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com and enter one of these details (if you bought a computer in the past year you could just enter your own details). The first one worked for me but I've posted extras just in case.

Windows 7 PC purchase information
Date of purchase *10/25.2012
Name of retailer * Best Buy
PC Brand *Dell
PC Model * Z14

PC Brand *Gateway
PC Model * NE56R12U

PC Brand *HP
PC Model * HP Butterfly Blossom

PC Brand *Acer
PC Model * AS5733-6838

You will get an email right away with the promo code and instructions.

EDIT: Microsoft has fixed the exploit now. You will be asked for a Windows 7 serial key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea if this is the full installation or if it's only a Windows 7 to Windows 8 upgrade installer?

[quote name='kdnewton']Any idea if this is the full installation or if it's only a Windows 7 to Windows 8 upgrade installer?[/QUOTE]
Probably the later. ;)

I signed up but couldn't find any information on how much the optional installation DVD was. I think you have to go thru the purchase to find out and I wasn't ready to do that yet, anyone know how much extra for the DVD?

[quote name='kdnewton']Any idea if this is the full installation or if it's only a Windows 7 to Windows 8 upgrade installer?[/QUOTE]

Its a full installation but it replaces your old OS serial from what I know so you might want to do a clean install, install it on an old OS you no longer use, or create a new partition for it.

Also, the installation DVD costs $15 ofacto. Not sure if that factors in shipping but that's the price I saw at checkout.

Download is around 3-3.5GB if anyone's curious.

It either asks me for a product key or just tells me no.

I really wanted to get in on this. $15 is something I'd totally do. $40 is not :(

edit: Oooh. A friend of mine gave me his upgrade code. ;)

I've already registered for 2 PCs (can do up to 5) and got the emails back for both with codes to download Win8 PRO for $15. One is a real PC from work that was probably bought at little before the June starting date, so I just fudged the date. The other is just made up info (similar to the original post's info).

My question is this - has anyone actually gone through the purchase and download process (I'm assuming we download an ISO or EXE file)? Is there any place in that process where we need to provide the Windows key from the bottom of the PC we supposedly bought to obtain the cheap upgrade? I just want to make sure that after I pay, I don't need to enter info that I don't actually HAVE :)

with these upgrades, can you do a separate install from your win7? Not sold on 8 yet so i wanted to keep my win7

[quote name='brewtownska']My question is this - has anyone actually gone through the purchase and download process (I'm assuming we download an ISO or EXE file)? Is there any place in that process where we need to provide the Windows key from the bottom of the PC we supposedly bought to obtain the cheap upgrade? I just want to make sure that after I pay, I don't need to enter info that I don't actually HAVE :)[/QUOTE]

I purchased it. Aside from the info provided in the opening post, it should never ask you for anything else aside from your name/phone number/address and billing information. The Upgrade Assistant takes a few minutes to scan your computer and tells you about programs which are compatible.

Upon payment I was sent an email with the serial key right away and the Upgrade Assistant started to download the OS right away (I cancelled it though because I've reached my bandwidth limit for the month, will have to wait till next month)

[quote name='shosh']with these upgrades, can you do a separate install from your win7? Not sold on 8 yet so i wanted to keep my win7[/QUOTE]

Just create a partition on your Hardrive and install Windows 8 on the new partition so you can dual boot both 7 and 8.

I signed up two computers that I had since last year for this and got two copies of Win8 for $30...burned a copy on a DVD just in case I ever need it again and felt proud of myself for not having to pay full price

beat me to it

I wasn't planning on upgrade yet, but this deal is too good to pass up. I tried the beta and liked it, seemed much faster than Windows 7.

[quote name='CoachHines']
Just create a partition on your Hardrive and install Windows 8 on the new partition so you can dual boot both 7 and 8.[/QUOTE]

well i know how to do separate installs, but since this is an upgrade, installing on a fresh partition is considered a fresh install. It used to be that you had to install upgrades within the OS. Is it the same case with win 8?

[quote name='shosh']well i know how to do separate installs, but since this is an upgrade, installing on a fresh partition is considered a fresh install. It used to be that you had to install upgrades within the OS. Is it the same case with win 8?[/QUOTE]

Well first you need to run the Upgrade Assistant on an existing OS like XP/Vista/7. From there on you're free to burn the ISO to a dvd and do a fresh install.

Well, after watching a handful of videos, I think I'll pass.

Windows 8 looks great for tablets, but I'm just not ready to have it as my main OS on my PC.

Still running ol' XP on my computer (though the wife's and daughter's are Win7 and bought recently). Think we'll stick with what we currently have.

I've been running Windows 8 on my PC since this morning and I got to say that while it is different I really like it, the integration with my phone/xbox were the biggest selling points for me since everything uses the same layout and has programs that easily interact with each other now.

Until there start to be exclusive features like DX11 (when people were hanging on to XP) I'll pass. WIn 7 does everything you need it to do and it will be supported for a while. I dont really see the need to upgrade unless you like to have the new shiny things everytime they're released.

[quote name='Korahn']Still running ol' XP on my computer (though the wife's and daughter's are Win7 and bought recently). Think we'll stick with what we currently have.[/QUOTE]
I was an XP diehard and never thought once to upgrade to 7 or 8, but I came across a laptop at a local auction running Windows 8 beta and I really like it. I'll probably do this offer for my desktop.

I kept looking around at first for the ol' "switch control panel appearance back to classic style" or whatever that option in XP was, but I'm now used to the new layout.

Didn't know till I read the email that I have to purchase it with the computer I wish to upgrade. Does anyone know if the DVD that can be ordered is a OEM or retail disc?

[quote name='Agent Hero']I was an XP diehard and never thought once to upgrade to 7 or 8, but I came across a laptop at a local auction running Windows 8 beta and I really like it. I'll probably do this offer for my desktop.

I kept looking around at first for the ol' "switch control panel appearance back to classic style" or whatever that option in XP was, but I'm now used to the new layout.[/QUOTE]

Ok, the best way to say it then would be - My computer wouldn't be able to handle Win7, so definitely not 8, lol. Need a new computer.

Im really enjoying it. It's different but still retains what I love about W7. Necessary? Not at all, but it adds things. The speed is nice too. I will love this on my new phone

Can a kind sir please get a promo code/email and pm the information to me. I've tried every method imaginable and everyone of them requires a Windows 7 validation method.

I've read that using the cheap upgrade deal also invalidates the activation key you upgrade from, so you can't downgrade back to 7.

If this is true, be sure you really want to use 8 from now on.

[quote name='ShocWave']Upgrade codes are supposed to require installing Windows twice for it to work.
They will not activate unless it detects that you have used the upgrade install option.

Try this:
1) Do a fresh install of Windows 8. Do NOT activate. When entering the key, uncheck the box prompting to activate immediately.
2) Run Windows Setup for a second time from within Windows 8. Choose Upgrade.
3) Activate.

The above has worked with upgrade versions of Windows Vista and 7.
I already have a full version of Windows 8 Pro, so I cannot test this, but please post your results here for all to see.[/QUOTE]
1) there's no box could be unchecked
2) can't upgrade
3) see this pic http://i.minus.com/ismXfZyDAZFFt.jpg

Gonna have to check in on this when I get home tonight. Would like to give this a go on a couple of my machines.

[quote name='darkling23']Do the ISO/USB thing. You can install clean that way.[/QUOTE]
I was doing the new clean install here.....
This key simply can't be activated since that's new clean install

YOU _CAN_ DO CLEAN INSTALL WITH UPGRADE VERSION AND ACTIVATE IT.

I got the 15$ Win8 Pro Upgrade deal and I did a full clean install and it auto activated just fine.

Upgraded from XP for 16 bucks. I'm liking it but the text is a lot smaller than what I am used to which is causing some discomfort. I also don't know where the hell anything is lol.

[quote name='tcbys']I keep getting I am invaild for this offer?[/QUOTE]

Never mind the June 2012 start date, is your copy of Win7 legit?

Bit the bullet and picked up an upgrade for $16.I didn't realize that it's going to invalidate some of my installed apps, though!
Think I'm going to sit this one out on my work box, maybe throw the upgrade on my GF's computer...

bread's done
Back