- - - - -

windows 8 on sale until jan 31 2013

#61 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30520 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

^Yes thread lost a lot of weight. Clearly the mods here don't want the link you're referring to posted. Can't say I blame them. I think it's worth the extra $25 to just buy the upgrade honestly, that's just my opinion though.

tylerh1701.png 
Check out my game reviews at Video Chums!

#62 deletion   CAG Addict CAGiversary!   1145 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

deletion

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

^Yes thread lost a lot of weight. Clearly the mods here don't want the link you're referring to posted. Can't say I blame them. I think it's worth the extra $25 to just buy the upgrade honestly, that's just my opinion though.

gotcha. thanks man.
-----
Hey CAGs, Swagbucks is your friend!
I get at least 5 Bucks in Amazon giftcards a week.
Doesn't seem like a lot, but it adds up!

Posted Image

#63 sendme   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5117 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'm sure the answer is no, but would I be able to install it on more than one computer? I have a laptop running windows 7 also and might want to upgrade it. I'm sure with out it being OEM I wont be able to install it on more than one machine, but I thought I would ask.

EDIT: Never mind looks like I'm right and that I can't.
Posted Image

#64 token2k6   LG FUAD CAGiversary!   4507 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

^you'd need a license key for each computer..you can obviously use the same disc..It won't be long before some CAGs have extra keys that they get thru nefarious ways, or there are websites that just sell keys

#65 Kanji Tatsumi   Persona 4 Fanatic CAGiversary!   382 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Kanji Tatsumi

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

Tom's Hardware did a review of the Windows 8 performance. They did not see the massive FPS difference the OP claimed. It looks like they are mostly the same with either of them running slightly better in different benchmarks (unless it is Sleeping Dogs which doesn't work at all in 8...)

http://www.tomshardw...ml#xtor=RSS-182

in both wow and swtor i noticed the increase by 60-80 fps. i dont know about other games but those 2 got a huge increase in fps

#66 darkling23   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   117 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

There is literally no way your OS is affecting the performance of two games to that extent.

Literally. 0

#67 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

FYI, when you redeem your free Media Center Pack code and they warn you that your computer will restart once, they mean it. It sat downloading (and maybe doing other things) without any sort of status notification or update for a good 10-15 minutes and suddenly restarted on me. There was no warning or 20 second countdown or anything. Just make sure you aren't doing anything important.

#68 Kanji Tatsumi   Persona 4 Fanatic CAGiversary!   382 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Kanji Tatsumi

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

There is literally no way your OS is affecting the performance of two games to that extent.

Literally. 0

it did. and after a bit of research it is due to the fact that windows 8 uses less resources to run then windows 7 (ram and such).

my computer has 6gb of ram on it*

#69 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3780 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

FYI, when you redeem your free Media Center Pack code and they warn you that your computer will restart once, they mean it. It sat downloading (and maybe doing other things) without any sort of status notification or update for a good 10-15 minutes and suddenly restarted on me. There was no warning or 20 second countdown or anything. Just make sure you aren't doing anything important.

How long does it take to get this email/code? I signed up for it last night and nothing came yet.

#70 Kanji Tatsumi   Persona 4 Fanatic CAGiversary!   382 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Kanji Tatsumi

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

How long does it take to get this email/code? I signed up for it last night and nothing came yet.

also wondering this as well. free is always good

#71 Hip Hop   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1714 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Had the same problem.

#72 darkling23   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   117 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

it did. and after a bit of research it is due to the fact that windows 8 uses less resources to run then windows 7 (ram and such).

my computer has 6gb of ram on it*

Not to continue to argue, but you are wrong.

That is all. :)

#73 Kanji Tatsumi   Persona 4 Fanatic CAGiversary!   382 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Kanji Tatsumi

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

ive played wow for 7 years and have always tried to get the best fps possible. i know what im getting and its sad that you have to resort to insulting someone . i know what fps ive been getting in those games, and since upgrading i have noticed that difference. also you dont seem to realize that ram controls how many programs can be running at once. and with 6gb of ram it isn't much, since windows 7 requires 2 alone and wow 4 to run decent.

also with you being new here you may not know, but on this site we dont go to other peoples threads starting insults with no data to back you up. if you want to continue this i will post the video where it shows windows 8 requires less resources to run then 7 if you so please

i made this thread to show how windows 8 is running the 2 games i play 4+ hours a day. . also my computer was custom built by me. if you want i will link my specs which will also show that it would not be getting this many fps with windows 7

#74 Davinatorman   CAGiversary? CAGiversary!   97 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Davinatorman

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

Doesn't the Tom's Hardware link prove you otherwise, though? I doubt under normal circumstances someone will get that ridiculous of an fps boost when a professional review shows that the realistic difference is completely minimal (and even detrimental for some games) at best.

Here's another test that shows that there's no noticeable difference in game performance:
http://www.techpower...formance/1.html

I'm personally going to stay with Windows 7 until I see raving recommendations for 8.

#75 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

It took about a day for mine to show up.

#76 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49866 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

The $40 upgrade price is for people that didn't buy a PC in the timeframe MS put out there (June 1 to current timeframe, expiration unknown) with Windows 7 pre-installed. Those people (myself included) are able to get Windows 8 Pro for $15 ($30 for shipped DVD version) as that's a promotion from Microsoft only for those people.

Trying to get it for $15 by filling in invalid/erroneous information is fraud.

#77 therealdanhill   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1037 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

therealdanhill

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

Can I just go ahead and delete the windows.old file?

Also, don't know if it's been mentioned, but there is no Start button in Windows 8. Kind of threw me for a minute. Make sure to pin any relevant programs if you use the Metro look. So far I've been sticking to the desktop, but the Metro layout is great for opening programs, just takes a while to figure out where everything is. If you don't know how to shut down, just go to "settings" when you hover at the right side of the screen.

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#78 rirath   dot com CAGiversary!   143 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Also, don't know if it's been mentioned, but there is no Start button in Windows 8. Kind of threw me for a minute. Make sure to pin any relevant programs if you use the Metro look. So far I've been sticking to the desktop, but the Metro layout is great for opening programs, just takes a while to figure out where everything is. If you don't know how to shut down, just go to "settings" when you hover at the right side of the screen.

Not well known, but in the Metro interface you can group items and name groups as well. Drag them to the side a bit to make a new group. Hit the "-" button in the far lower-right, then right click one of the now small groups. That'll let you name it.

I pin most of my frequent apps to the taskbar, some of my lesser used apps to start (aka Metro), and 99% of the time access the rest as I always have: Winkey -> Start typing a program name.

#79 Todd33   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   212 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Let's not pretend it will ever be $199. MS is trying to give the illusion of a "sale" so they can get people to switch so they can get them into their store.

Resist. Use Windows 7 and use the $40 for something meaningful.

#80 rirath   dot com CAGiversary!   143 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

Wow, it's a whopping 22GB. That's quite a chunk on my SSD. Thanks for pointing this out!
I'd research a bit more, but I'm probably removing it later tonight.

By the way, it looks like the built in Windows tool cleanmgr.exe is the easiest way to do this, aka "disk cleanup". Otherwise you might run into permission errors.
http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

Edited by rirath, 29 October 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#81 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30520 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

The $40 upgrade price is for people that didn't buy a PC in the timeframe MS put out there (June 1 to current timeframe, expiration unknown) with Windows 7 pre-installed. Those people (myself included) are able to get Windows 8 Pro for $15 ($30 for shipped DVD version) as that's a promotion from Microsoft only for those people.

Trying to get it for $15 by filling in invalid/erroneous information is fraud.

I agree.

tylerh1701.png 
Check out my game reviews at Video Chums!

#82 Yars   I'd buy that for a dollar! CAGiversary!   2900 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

As long as you're certain you don't need access to any of the files then you can safely delete it. I've deleted it every time I've reinstalled Windows and have never run into any problems. The Windows.old directory is just used as a dumping ground for most of the abandoned files left over from the previous installment.

#83 Kazuya   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

To anyone who has done the $15 upgrade (I bought a Win 7 computer last month) how long does it take to get Windows 8 in whatever form they give it? I did this offer years ago (bought XP laptop right when Vista came out) and it took like 6 weeks to get a Vista disc in the mail. Though it was free instead of $15, iirc.

#84 Hip Hop   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1714 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

How much hard drive space do you guys have?

After removing the .old folder, I have about 30 gigs being used up.

#85 funtownarcade   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   27 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

funtownarcade

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

overlordmike its likely your Windows 7 install had extra software running while you were playing Wow and just reinstalling windows is what got you the performance boost. I see increases in performance when reinstalling windows after a few years. A 90% increase in fps would be amazing but it doesn't look like anyone else is getting that.
Posted Image

#86 UW_Shocks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   871 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Isn't this a upgrade package? I doubt the full retail version would go for so little already.

With the upgrade disk, can't you still do a clean install over your Windows 7 OS ?

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#87 D1987   CAG in Training CAG in Training   30 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Protip: Be sober when you decide to purchase and install Windows 8. Ate a certain fungus and it took me forever to figure out how to work everything but now i am loving it. Haven't ran into any bugs or compatibility issues so far.

#88 Yars   I'd buy that for a dollar! CAGiversary!   2900 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

With the upgrade disk, can't you still do a clean install over your Windows 7 OS ?

Yes, through the "Custom Install" option.

#89 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

You don't even need Windows installed on the machine. I did this last night, put it on a USB drive this morning, booted it up, formatted my Windows partition, and did a clean install.

It's more of an upgrade price than an upgrade edition. It seems that you can redownload at any time and I have an .iso on my backup drive. As long as you hold on to your serial it shouldn't be much different than buying the full version.

#90 MP77   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   209 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

You don't even need Windows installed on the machine. I did this last night, put it on a USB drive this morning, booted it up, formatted my Windows partition, and did a clean install.

It's more of an upgrade price than an upgrade edition. It seems that you can redownload at any time and I have an .iso on my backup drive. As long as you hold on to your serial it shouldn't be much different than buying the full version.

So presumably I could get Windows 8 through this upgrade and directly install it onto a new machine I'm building?