windows 8 on sale until jan 31 2013

overlordmike

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
might have been mentioned b4 but windows 8 is currently on sale for 39.99 on microsofts website reduced from the normal price of 199.99.

i am posting this in the gaming section due to the fact that when playing my mmo games such as wow and tor. i noticed a 80 fps difference than with windows 7. was running 100-120 fps. now running 190-200 fps avrg in tor

There's also tons of Windows 8 games that come with new achievements, with more coming on a regular basis. This helps tying it to gaming even more =]

You can actually get it for $15 if you fake info into thinking you bought a new PC recently

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='vantheman']Are the games with new achievements free?[/QUOTE]

Some are free with ads.

I've installed and really like it. I was a huge fan of win7 so I was a little skeptical about a week 1 install but everything has been buttery smooth and now that I am used to the changed I actually prefer it!

Edit: Also, 15 bucks for it is a must not pass type of deal. (even if you sit on the install for later)

[quote name='lancielegend']bought it, $15.89 total, thanks op![/QUOTE]

Is it the basic version or pro? Does it allow a reformat/fresh install?

I have used Boot Camp on my MBP, I use my Windows side for gaming (Macs with dedicated graphics cards are actually pretty good for gaming), and I used my upgrade from a PC I bought back in the summer, and got immediate BSOD's from Windows 8.

That said, I did a fresh install of W7 and am redoing W8, it seemed like a very cool OS.

EDIT: Didn't see post above me. It's a pro upgrade, even if you're using Home Premium. It will take over whatever programs you have and tell you which are compatible and which are not.

25372317.jpg

Good deal though, but I'm gonna stick with 7 until the launch bugs are fixed. Then I'll give it a try.

[quote name='LD_Helix']

Good deal though, but I'm gonna stick with 7 until the launch bugs are fixed. Then I'll give it a try.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious to ask this... how can anyone hate Win8 if all that's different is the metro theme, which is optional?

Still skeptical about Windows 8.

I have used it since i sell computers. But i don't know if i would like it.

Alright i have a computer that is a yearish old.

If i fudge the model number and what not is that going to effect the windows 8 purchase?

[quote name='Romeo']Does it allow a reformat/fresh install?[/QUOTE]

AFAIK you have to have a previous version of Windows on your computer the first time you install Windows 8. Assuming you have a previous version of Windows on your machine you can do a what is essentially a fresh install by choosing the "custom install" method. Windows 8 then puts all the existing files it finds in your C: drive into a Windows.old directory which you can easily delete after the installation.

Windows 8 also has a reformat option built into the OS now. It appears that you just click a button and it does the rest for you.

[quote name='Pixie Stix 88']Still skeptical about Windows 8.

I have used it since i sell computers. But i don't know if i would like it.

Alright i have a computer that is a yearish old.

If i fudge the model number and what not is that going to effect the windows 8 purchase?[/QUOTE]

It asked me for my Windows 7 COA as well.

[quote name='Romeo']I'm curious to ask this... how can anyone hate Win8 if all that's different is the metro theme, which is optional?[/QUOTE]

lol wow what ignorance you have my friend.

[quote name='Romeo']I'm curious to ask this... how can anyone hate Win8 if all that's different is the metro theme, which is optional?[/QUOTE]

Because it isn't all that is different since there are some other changes and MS really wants you to use metro. At least in the RC versions they had removed the option to not boot up into it and it will drop you back into it.

Personally I don't see any reason to move from Win 7 because 8 felt like an OS that doesn't know what it wants to be. I really like the idea of having an OS that can switch from being a tablet to a laptop easily but they should be completely separate. It isn't a deal breaker to me so while I won't be actively avoiding it, I am not going to upgrading to it either.

It asks for the product key, what doI put in? I tried putting mine in, said I wasn't eligible. Can someone maybe PM me one that will work or explain what you did to get around it?

Edit: nevermind, I got it lol, thanks op

Last edited by a moderator:
My Security Check said 5BUTS. Lol. I took a screenshot I will upload it once my internet stops being slow due to the weather.
Anyway THANKS OP!

How hard is it to install a new OS? I'm pretty much a noob at this, but would like to upgrade to 8 from Vista. And are there any hardware specs that could cause problems, as my laptop is about 5 years old.

[quote name='sunasun']Went ahead and got my promo code, just in case in a year I decide to use Win 8.[/QUOTE]

The promo code expires in January I think.

[quote name='tylerh1701']How hard is it to install a new OS? I'm pretty much a noob at this, but would like to upgrade to 8 from Vista. And are there any hardware specs that could cause problems, as my laptop is about 5 years old.[/QUOTE]

If anything your PC will be light years faster. Vista killed PCs. Hell, I ran Win7 RC on a single core P4 with 1GB of RAM three years ago and it worked with no issues.

[quote name='Wario64']The promo code expires in January I think.[/QUOTE]
yeah, saw that but once you buy it, I don't think you have to install it right away, just don't wanna have to pay 200 if I decide I want it in the next few years.

[quote name='Romeo']If anything your PC will be light years faster. Vista killed PCs. Hell, I ran Win7 RC on a single core P4 with 1GB of RAM three years ago and it worked with no issues.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I'll try it out later tonight.

it's Windows 8 Pro, the Ultimate/Enterprise equivalent, so for $15 it's a really good deal.
and if you have a... let's call it an unusual version of Windows 7 that just happened to be on your PC one day like magic, right now it's still entirely possible to upgrade to it. It's a win/win situation: you get a legit, supported, and good copy of Windows 8 Pro, they get money. It's actually not at all a bad system either. Some stuff to it that's really good, though I don't particularly like hot corners. Needs more keyboard shortcuts.

I just filled out the promo info with information I made up...just to see what it asks for...but it never actually asked for a laptop serial number or anything...It just went through and now I got the promo code emailed to me...is it really that easy lol? I bought a macbook this year...but I dont think thats eligible lol

Uhh....
I tried this numerous times. Tells me that my serial number is bad when entering a random, made up one. When using my correct one, it tells me I'm not eligible (I got my current computer before June 2012). Any help; or did they fix it?

Just go to newegg, grab a computer's model number and maker, use that and put it after June 2nd. Magically you'll get a promo code in your inbox.

signed up, didn't ask me for a computer serial, got the email with promo code within a few minutes after... now just got to think if i want to upgrade or not ...

Thanks yo! I just ordered one. Hopefully its a smooth process and doesnt ask for windows 7 key when im trying to install 8

Does anyone know if you need a prior OS to install Windows 8?

I want to try that $15 promo but I'm currently using the Preview on this PC, but since it's freshly built, I don't have Windows 7.

My computer has been in need of a clean install for the last couple of months but I was waiting until I could buy Win8 to do it. When you go through the downloadable upgrade process I assume they give you a serial. Has anyone tried using it to do a clean install? Are there any weird hoops you have to jump through to do it?

It's been a couple of versions since I've done a clean install with an upgrade. They used to ask you to insert a disk/disc from a previous edition of Windows, but in this post-physical media society that obviously isn't going to be the case.

Can anyone running battlefield 3 comment on it's stability on windows 8? I'd like to upgrade but I just got a new superclocked gtx 670 running bf3 smoothly on ultra and don't want to give that up.

So do you need a Windows 7 PC for this to work?

I have one that is Windows 7 and eligible for a free upgrade through staples.

But I also have an older laptop running Windows Vista, could I upgrade it using this offer?

[quote name='Wario64']https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/

Just fake some info, say you bought a new pc in the last 2 months. got my promo code already in email immediately[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Just picked up Win 8 for $15 for my HP TM2 tablet (which I bought almost 2 years ago lol). Not sure if I want it on my desktop yet. How long until this deal expires?

bread's done
Back