Barnes & Noble 50% off Criterion sale - 10/30 to 11/19

arcane93

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Haven't seen a thread for this yet, but all signs are pointing to the November Criterion sale at Barnes and Noble starting a bit early this year, on October 30th. See threads here and here. All currently available Criterion Collection blu-ray and DVD titles, as well as those which come out during the sale, will be on sale for 50% off of their suggested retail price.

The OP on blu-ray.com thread lists it as an "Art House/Criterion sale", but it's not clear as of yet which, if any, non-Criterion "art house" titles might be included. Last time there were a limited number of other titles (the "art house" status of which were, in some cases, debatable, hence the quotes) by other companies as well.

A B&N membership will get you an extra 10% off in-store or free shipping online. As of right now, there are no active coupons, however if any come up they'll likely be listed in this DVD Talk thread.

Pre-orders for titles coming out after the sale ends are very YMMV. You won't be able to do it online, but you might be able to do it in-store if you get a really nice cashier.

Many questions regarding the sale can be answered by looking at threads for past sales; here and here are the most recent ones.

Oh F me. Here we go again. :lol:

Last time they did this when they had the "art house" portion of the sale on-going during the Criterion sale, I think it was mostly random foreign films added into the mix.

I'm going to try to keep it small this time too.

Plans are to pick up:

The Game
Rosemary's Baby
The Royal Tenenbaums

I'll be lucky if I can keep it that sparse.

Quadrophenia, Rosemary's Baby, The Game. That's my main goal. Smiles of a Summer Night would be nice too though.

Sigh, I'm going to try and resist but Harold & Maude, Rosemary's Baby, Rushmore, The Game, and A Night to Remember might say otherwise...

I've been meaning to get "Salo" and "Gomorrah". I've read how fucked "Salo" is so I think I'll get and keep a vomit bag on me while watching it.
I'd like to buy "The Seventh Seal" as well as a few others. I've wanted "Hunger" after hearing how good it is but one of the best one's I'll likely get is "Modern Times".

[quote name='Sarang01']I've been meaning to get "Salo" and "Gomorrah". I've read how fucked "Salo" is so I think I'll get and keep a vomit bag on me while watching it.
I'd like to buy "The Seventh Seal" as well as a few others. I've wanted "Hunger" after hearing how good it is but one of the best one's I'll likely get is "Modern Times".[/QUOTE]

I've seen Salo twice now and it's pretty overrated both in terms of vulgarity and in terms of the film's quality. It has a few gross scenes but nothing I could see someone vomiting over and the film for the most part is pretty boring. I'd definitely recommend any of those other films you mentioned over it.

Thanks for the heads up. Got Being John Malkovich and Rashomon. I'll get my next paycheck before the deal is up so hopefully I'll get Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums and another blu ray. Love these deals.

[quote name='commandercody83']I hope to not find Godzilla. I'd like to purchase it, but shouldn't.[/QUOTE]

You've got to get it. It's got the best packaging with the pop up Godzilla and all.

DO IT!

[quote name='v0yce']You've got to get it. It's got the best packaging with the pop up Godzilla and all.

DO IT![/QUOTE]

I like the pop-up Godzilla (albeit, the rendition is unlike any Godzilla ever), but I hate how tight the digipak is in the slip

[quote name='rapsodist']The sale is already live online. I picked up some December pre-orders at 50% off, not sure how long that'll last so act quick![/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks for pointing that out. I threw in pre-orders for Brazil and Following.

According to Barnes and Noble, Dark City, The Song Remains the Same (Led Zeppelin), and March of the Penguins are "art house" films. :rofl:

Cool about pre-orders working online (for now, at least)--I just pre-ordered the blu-ray Qatsi Trilogy set. I love those movies, and I bet they'll look (and sound) gorgeous on blu-ray, and I'm anxious to get them, too, as I already sold my non-Criterion DVDs of them in anticipation of this release.

Sooner or later I'll go to a store and grab Rosemary's Baby and In the Mood for Love on blu-ray (both upgrades from my DVD versions), but I'll probably wait a while and see if a coupon pops up first; I also need to get Week-End (again an upgrade from the old New Yorker DVD), which comes out 11/13, so maybe around then if a coupon doesn't surface prior. That'll likely be all I buy this go-round, unless I buy people Christmas presents from the sale, or a really good coupon comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grr... Renewed my membership (which had expired about a month ago) online earlier today in order to place the pre-orders. Definitely shows up as being renewed in my account status on the website. Went to the store this evening to pick up a few titles, and the renewal isn't showing up in their in-store system yet. Come on, B&N, get your shit together.

[quote name='Trojann']How much do their Criterion Blu Rays go for normally?[/QUOTE]MSRP start at $39.99. Can be more depending on the release, but usually this is the retail price.

Hope I'll be able to go to the store tomorrow. Frankenstorm put my shopping plans on hold. I did pre-order the Shochiku DVD set online.

[quote name='fight_the_youth']Members only

$5 Off Purchase of $50 or More Members Printable Coupon (Expires 12/2)
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pi...ber/ee/0911_StoreWelcomeCoupon_1gen5off50.gif

$8 Off One DVD or Blu-ray $40 or more Members Printable Coupon (Expires 12/2)
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/email/2012/09/Member/ee/0911_StoreWelcomeCoupon_2dvd.gif[/QUOTE]

Be aware that those are "new member" coupons, and are technically only supposed to be used by people who have purchased new memberships (not renewals) between September 3rd and November 7th (see the "details" section in the fine print). For anyone else trying to use them, they're YMMV -- while the B&N system itself won't refuse them (I don't think their system is that smart), the cashier can do so. The last time I tried to use them (a couple of Criterion sales ago), I got shot down. That being said, can't hurt to try.

[quote name='arcane93']Be aware that those are "new member" coupons, and are technically only supposed to be used by people who have purchased new memberships (not renewals) between September 3rd and November 7th (see the "details" section in the fine print). For anyone else trying to use them, they're YMMV -- while the B&N system itself won't refuse them (I don't think their system is that smart), the cashier can do so. The last time I tried to use them (a couple of Criterion sales ago), I got shot down. That being said, can't hurt to try.[/QUOTE]I've never had any issues with then in the past as long as you have at least one item per coupon.

Their system isn't that smart, save that it needs 1 item per coupon. The cashier normally eyeballs it as "one item that's applicable to the coupon per item", so you can't pad the purchase with a bookmark to a single Criterion.

If their system let them check how long you've been a member (which I'm not sure if it does or not), then you might have a worry.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']It has both versions.[/QUOTE]

Actually I was referring to the Americanized 1998 version. Thank God it's not that one!

Please forgive my ignorance.. but what exactly is superior to these Criterion Collection blus vs non Criterion?

[quote name='dsimmelink']Please forgive my ignorance.. but what exactly is superior to these Criterion Collection blus vs non Criterion?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much everything. Excellent transfers excellent audio, multiple cuts where available, superior bonus contents, superior booklets. There's only been a few instances where you'd have to make the choice between a Criterion and non-Criterion of the same title, but I think in every case the Criterion release is far superior.

Criterion also releases niche titles geared towards film buffs that likely wouldn't see a regular release otherwise.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Pretty much everything. Excellent transfers excellent audio, multiple cuts where available, superior bonus contents, superior booklets. There's only been a few instances where you'd have to make the choice between a Criterion and non-Criterion of the same title, but I think in every case the Criterion release is far superior.

Criterion also releases niche titles geared towards film buffs that likely wouldn't see a regular release otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Right on thanks for the quick reply. I figured it was something similar to that but good to now know! I'm definitely going to have to bite on a few of my favorites here!

Awesome deal I got Godzilla the packaging is amazing an the bonus feature are awesome and it came with the American version it came up as $21 sooo worth it, also got Benjamin Button for $11. I love Criterion Collection movies really have a lot of bonus features.

So far I'm heavily considering getting The Killing and Quadrophenia.

Slightly off topic but what films would you love to see Criterion release on Blu complete with their always excellent mastering. A few I can think of off hand....

Spartacus (as the current Universal Blu is awful)
Barry Lyndon (current Warner Blu has no extras which is a shame given most Kubrick films on Blu have a decent amount of extras)
Chasing Amy (if anything at least Criterion wouldn't run the film through heavy noise reduction)

Got The Gold Rush and pre-ordered Brazil last night. Thanks for the head's up on this one. Been waiting for it.

[quote name='Demolition Man']So far I'm heavily considering getting The Killing and Quadrophenia.

Slightly off topic but what films would you love to see Criterion release on Blu complete with their always excellent mastering. A few I can think of off hand....

Spartacus (as the current Universal Blu is awful)
Barry Lyndon (current Warner Blu has no extras which is a shame given most Kubrick films on Blu have a decent amount of extras)
Chasing Amy (if anything at least Criterion wouldn't run the film through heavy noise reduction)[/QUOTE]

The Killing is a must get. Especially since it's actually a two pack containing Killer's Kiss.

Used the B&N Buzz code to get Rosemary's Baby for $15 last night. I will use it again for recently OOP Chunking Express today and Rashomon next week.

placed an order yesterday but never got an email about it and it is not showing on my account on the site. Called today and the woman I spoke to said all the orders are processed at an office in the New York area and they have no clue how soon all that will be up an running again. She said they started having issues about mid-day yesterday. Not sure if I should just go pick up what I ordered at a local store or wait it out and hope the order went through.

Does anyone know if the BN BUZZ $5 off a $15 purchase works anymore? I was told by a employee it expired 11/1 but it doesn't have an expiration date on the coupon.

Since I don't have a B&N near me I Pm'ed Rosemary's Baby and The Game at BBY. Hopefully going to make a trip to a B&N about 30 mins north of me to see if I can grab some others I was hoping to get (Dazed and Confused, Royal Tennebaums, Godzilla, The Killing)

I PM'ed the DEAL at Best Buy because they are selling most of the collection for $29.99. I got Rosemary's Baby, The Game, and Dazed and Confused for $14.99 each. Might come back later tonight, or perhaps tomorrow to get a few more titles.

Oh, also, rumor over at DVD Talk (from the OP of the B&N coupon thread, who is usually right) is that there will be a 20% off member coupon starting on Thursday.

[quote name='arcane93']Hrm. Rashomon is listed at $34.04 on the website. Hope it rings up properly as part of the sale in the store...[/QUOTE]

Worked fine for me in store.

bread's done
Back