Dragon Quest VII coming to 3DS! JPN 02/13, NA TBA!

johnnypark

CAGiversary!
Feedback
57 (100%)
DRAGON-0001.jpg

Via Operation Rainfall:

This morning, news is making the rounds of a Dragon Quest VII remake for the Nintendo 3DS. This is not a resurfacing of the rumor that was posted late last year to this effect. Dragon Quest VII has been confirmed for the 3DS, and it currently set to release February 2013 in Japan.

Dragon Quest VII (Dragon Warrior VII in the USA) was originally released on the Playstation One almost twelve years ago. Given Nintendo of America’s track record for localizing Dragon Quest DS games like DQ4, 5, 6 and 9 respectively, I’d say this game has a high chance of being localized. Stay tuned for more news from both the east and west!
Japanese magazine scans with a few screenshots at the link.

http://operationrainfall.com/dragon-quest-vii-being-remade-for-3ds-february-2013-release-in-japan/

This is awesome news! DQ7 is such a long game that I never had the time to sit down and play it. Being on a portable system, though, I'll finally be able to play it. Still unconfirmed for NA but we've gotten pretty much every DQ game in the past 10 years, so I'd be really surprised if they didn't publish in NA.

What I'd really love is for them to do 7-9 on 3DS, similar to 4-6 on DS, especially because of how much more awesome DQ9 would be with full Street Pass functionality and a slightly higher resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
THANK GOD. This news is inevitable, in a way, but it's nice to have some sort of confirmation.

I'd been looking into getting the original DQ7 recently, but complete copies in good condition aren't cheap. This is a Day One purchase for me once it comes out in English... and I don't even have a 3DS yet!

Oh Goddess yes! My only complaint with the game was that the interface was really outdated compared to FFVII. If they could remake in the style of the Zeneithian Trilogy, I'll be really happy.

tumblr_mcphufDbsQ1qzp9weo1_400.jpg

Ooh 3D models. I hope Tose will at least use some of their DQM assets on it.

Sweet. I still have a black label of Dragon Warrior VII that I never played. But what I really want is Dragon Quest 1-3 on the Wii like Japan got.

There was a rumor a long while ago about how "Oh, that VII is coming to the 3DS." There was heavily speculation this was for Cloud's Funtime Happy Squad and the Oedipus Rex, but I guess that's not the deal.

and hopefully soon dq 8 will happen that was such a great game, I hope that I can finish 7 this time

Here's hoping this comes across the ocean. They went to the trouble of localizing DQ IV, V, and VI. It would be a shame for them to leave this one out. I especially want them to localize VII so I can complete my collection.

(DW I - IV on the NES)
(DQ IV - VI on DS)
(DQ VIII on PS2)
(DQ IX on DS)

I still don't have a copy of VII on the PS1.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Here's hoping this comes across the ocean. They went to the trouble of localizing DQ IV, V, and VI. It would be a shame for them to leave this one out. I especially want them to localize VII so I can complete my collection.

(DW I - IV on the NES)
(DQ IV - VI on DS)
(DQ VIII on PS2)
(DQ IX on DS)

I still don't have a copy of VII on the PS1.[/QUOTE]

Ha, that is exactly my situation as well. This release statesides (along with AA5) would make me definitely get a 3DS in a heartbeat.

[quote name='Josh5890']Sweet. I still have a black label of Dragon Warrior VII that I never played. But what I really want is Dragon Quest 1-3 on the Wii like Japan got.[/QUOTE]

It's been a long time since I've played DW7. I remember it being a long time before you fought your first battle; seemed like several hours. I'm not sure what happened between me and the game, but I guess it didn't end well. Not only did I not complete the game but it ended up sold on ebay. My gaming ADD was an all time high back then though, so I think I'd really be able to get into it this time.

Please let this come out in NA.

DQ7 is such a great game. Long sucker, too. Takes about an hour and a half to get to the first battle. I love it.

I don't know what the heck ever happened to my PS1 copy, but I spent many hours on it as well, definitely one of my favorites in the series. I'd love to revisit it as well, hope to see a North American date announced soon!

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This is the worst DQ but I will probably buy it anyway.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping the remake will make it more playable/accessible. I got a good deal on a PS1 copy a few years ago and fired it up, only to find I didn't have the time or interest to play the two hour prologue. On a portable, I might just have the patience.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This is the worst DQ but I will probably buy it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, there's a subject I agree with dead of knight on. *Checks for atomic bombs dropping* Wow, the world isn't ending?

I put over a hundred hours into it on the PS1 and loved it. Don't have a 3DS but if I did, I'd pick this up.

In your opinio, what is/are the best DQ games?

I just started VIII and it seems like a really good game. Also might pick up IX on the DS.

[quote name='antlp89']In your opinio, what is/are the best DQ games?

I just started VIII and it seems like a really good game. Also might pick up IX on the DS.[/QUOTE]

You can't really go wrong with any of them except maybe the first one as turn-based combat with a single party member is kinda dull. Then again, you can beat it in an afternoon so it's not like it requires a major time investment.

If you're gonna play the DS ports though, try to play them in order as they're loosely tied together story wise, and you'll find the occasional nod to a past game that you'd miss out on otherwise.

Here's a list of all the DQ games I beat with my completion times for the main quest in case you wanna get the most out of your dollar or start with the shorter ones.

DQ1 - ~5 hrs
DQ4 - 20 hrs
DQ5 - 22 hrs
DQ6 - 35 hrs
DQ8 - 67 hrs
DQ9 - 45 hrs

DQ Monsters Joker 2 - 22 hrs
DQ Heroes - 11 hrs

Anyway, I hope you enjoy DQ8 as much as I did since it's my second favorite game of all time and turned me into a fan of the series.

Favorite of the series is DQ8, followed by DQ7 and DQ5.

I am in love with all things DQ, though, sort of biased. Only game I didn't get into in depth is Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker. Looking to change that though.

i am intrigued but not completely sold on it... haven't been a fan of the localization that they've been doing. i mean, i like the fact that they do it, but i think it's a little too whimsical.

on the other hand, the dw7 we received was ugly looking and the translation was ugly too. i am curious....

best dq games? 1-2 have aged poorly, the rest are all really good in their own way.

dq3 is iffy because i vastly prefer the original to the remakes, i really do not like the personality system or that weird board game.

[quote name='Axersia']You can't really go wrong with any of them except maybe the first one as turn-based combat with a single party member is kinda dull. Then again, you can beat it in an afternoon so it's not like it requires a major time investment.

If you're gonna play the DS ports though, try to play them in order as they're loosely tied together story wise, and you'll find the occasional nod to a past game that you'd miss out on otherwise.

Here's a list of all the DQ games I beat with my completion times for the main quest in case you wanna get the most out of your dollar or start with the shorter ones.

DQ1 - ~5 hrs
DQ4 - 20 hrs
DQ5 - 22 hrs
DQ6 - 35 hrs
DQ8 - 67 hrs
DQ9 - 45 hrs

DQ Monsters Joker 2 - 22 hrs
DQ Heroes - 11 hrs

Anyway, I hope you enjoy DQ8 as much as I did since it's my second favorite game of all time and turned me into a fan of the series.[/QUOTE]

had to be damn lucky or used a cheat sheet to beat JOKER 2 in 22 hours (if you counting the final boss after all of the credits role) if your talking just main story before the credits yea i can see that but the final final boss had to be damn lucky

If this comes out in the USA along with news of a real Pokemon game on the 3DS I might actually be sold on the system which I do not own yet. The 3DS is something that I want to like, but the support for games just isn't there yet (pretty sad considering its almost 2 years into the console's lifecycle) Provided they don't include too many "you must pass local people playing this game" features into this game, because that stuff is useless to me since no one here plays any DQ game. On the other hand maybe I can skip the 3DS entirely and go with whatever Nintendo's next handheld will be which will likely be backwards compatible with the 1-2 3DS games I will want to play.

[quote name='slidecage']had to be damn lucky or used a cheat sheet to beat JOKER 2 in 22 hours (if you counting the final boss after all of the credits role) if your talking just main story before the credits yea i can see that but the final final boss had to be damn lucky[/QUOTE]

If by cheat sheet you mean the monster synthesis table on Woodus.com then yes, I used a cheat sheet. Ended up beating the game with a Jum lvl 20 (B+4), Abyss Diver lvl 29 (B+5), and Dark Slime lvl 21 (B+4). Didn't really come close to dying either thanks to my Dark Slime having Cleric.

It's only the worst if you:

1. Have no patience.
2. Have a life.

It's probably by far the longest of any of the Dragon Quest / Warrior games released.

New screenshots indicate that monsters will be visible on screen instead of random encounters ala DQ9:

http://www.destructoid.com/new-dragon-quest-vii-3ds-screens-have-me-whimpering-238585.phtml

here's how crazy i am, i put 117 hours into DQ7 on the ps1, and hated it. i think i only put in the time because i played it at work. i liked DQ4 on the ds, and i remember loving the first one on the nes way back when. dont think ill be buying it.

My favorite DQ game (I've beaten every one other than VI and X)... also one of, if not THE, longest JRPGs I've ever played--easily around 70 hours just to beat the main quest. Many games claim to be that long, this one actually is... consider yourself warned. Thankfully, it's amazing--I'll be grabbing this day one.

[quote name='kainzero']i am intrigued but not completely sold on it... haven't been a fan of the localization that they've been doing. i mean, i like the fact that they do it, but i think it's a little too whimsical.

on the other hand, the dw7 we received was ugly looking even compared to any game on the NES and the translation was ugly too. i am curious....

best dq games? 1-2 have aged poorly, the rest are all really good in their own way.

dq3 is iffy because i vastly prefer the original to the remakes, i really do not like the personality system or that weird board game.[/QUOTE]

There, fixed it for ya! ;-P But seriously, this is the game that was so fugly in 2D it was unplayable for me. Like, I could easily pop in a NES game and think it looks better. Maybe the frame rate in this was for shit too and that threw me off as well.
This is the first time I think I'll ever say that moving a game from 2D to 3D may actually make me able to play it. I mean this is considering the 2D version makes anyone who knows what decent or even tolerable looks like almost want to stab their eyes out.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The new screens are pretty fugly.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44330120&postcount=777

Fugly 2D to fugly 3D. Hooray![/QUOTE]

Game looks like shit. I rather have the original 2d sprites. At least those can have some sort of charm even though they have very little animation. Will this game load instantly like the PSone game or is it going to have bullshit load times now too?

[quote name='antlp89']In your opinio, what is/are the best DQ games?

I just started VIII and it seems like a really good game. Also might pick up IX on the DS.[/QUOTE]

Man, super tough call. My order changes all the time, but it's looking something like this for the mainlines right now from an 'objective' point of view.

V, III, IV, VII, VIII, II, I, VI, IX, X.

That's the order I recommend for people just getting into the series without experience. III & II (and I) remakes for SFC are my personal favorites with V remake for PS2 trailing just behind. VII and VIII next with IV coming in just next. VI (even the remake) is a bit bland for me and IX and X are lacking as single player titles.

I'm not gonna go crazy with the spinoffs but if you have a DS, Rocket Slime is an absolute joy to play. Joker 2 is pretty good as well.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Man, super tough call. My order changes all the time, but it's looking something like this for the mainlines right now from an 'objective' point of view.

V, III, IV, VII, VIII, II, I, VI, IX, X.

That's the order I recommend for people just getting into the series without experience. III & II (and I) remakes for SFC are my personal favorites with V remake for PS2 trailing just behind. VII and VIII next with IV coming in just next. VI (even the remake) is a bit bland for me and IX and X are lacking as single player titles.

I'm not gonna go crazy with the spinoffs but if you have a DS, Rocket Slime is an absolute joy to play. Joker 2 is pretty good as well.[/QUOTE]

IV might mainly be nostalgia for me but its definitely my favorite. I beat it in the NES multiple times as a kid and absolutely loved it. The chapter progression was pretty unique at the time, and the way they tried to give all the characters their own feel and personality was ahead of its time. Plus, running a store as Taloon was really creative for an NES game. Sadly, the otherwise fantastic remake was marred by the localization team's insistence on goofy dialects anf some silly dialogue which I felt took away from the charm of the original.

V on the DS was fun and I liked the way they tied the story together over generations, another example of some storytelling that wad ahead of ths hardware of the original.

I got VI but never finished it (DS). It just didn't grab me the way the others did which was kind of a bummer.

Other than that... loved III on the GBC, I&II haven't aged as well, VIII was fun but I never finished it because I don't have time for console RPGs. And IX might be my favorite DS game ever, which isn't an easy choice to make. God I wish they'd port IX to the 3DS for proper Street Pass functionality!

The dragon warrior games for the GBC are really good (I forget what they are called), I have 2 copies of each I think since they were on sale at Gamestop for like $2 each one time which is cool because that means I can trade between cartridges. I mean the dragon warrior monsters games, the ones that are like pokemon.

I mean I know that isn't too relevant today, but its still nice to know I have those games and 2 Game Boy Colors so I can properly play them. I let a lot of my GBC games go this holiday season on ebay since they were worth quite a lot of money each and I wasn't playing them much but I won't let those games go (mainly because I haven't spent that much time with them), you will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands to get them from me.

[quote name='johnnypark']IV might mainly be nostalgia for me but its definitely my favorite. I beat it in the NES multiple times as a kid and absolutely loved it. The chapter progression was pretty unique at the time, and the way they tried to give all the characters their own feel and personality was ahead of its time. Plus, running a store as Taloon was really creative for an NES game. Sadly, the otherwise fantastic remake was marred by the localization team's insistence on goofy dialects anf some silly dialogue which I felt took away from the charm of the original.

V on the DS was fun and I liked the way they tied the story together over generations, another example of some storytelling that wad ahead of ths hardware of the original.

I got VI but never finished it (DS). It just didn't grab me the way the others did which was kind of a bummer.

Other than that... loved III on the GBC, I&II haven't aged as well, VIII was fun but I never finished it because I don't have time for console RPGs. And IX might be my favorite DS game ever, which isn't an easy choice to make. God I wish they'd port IX to the 3DS for proper Street Pass functionality![/QUOTE]

I know why you didn't beat VI for the same reason a 2nd playthrough is going slow for me: the party is unbalanced. Carver is the heavy hitter that dishes out the majority of damage, the hero is worthless, and the casters have too weak of hp.

If there is a SMAP commercial I need to see it ASAP! However I follow a Johnny's blog through email and they always have the latest CM's so I am sure that it will make its way to me when it is out.

While I love these games, I think it is bad that I really have no idea which ones I've played on the DS and which ones I haven't. I mean, I know I played IX since I put 160 hours into it. But I'm not sure on the others - will have to find the carts and load them up to see what game saves I have. It is entirely possible I have one I have never even opened :oops:.

[quote name='io']While I love these games, I think it is bad that I really have no idea which ones I've played on the DS and which ones I haven't. I mean, I know I played IX since I put 160 hours into it. But I'm not sure on the others - will have to find the carts and load them up to see what game saves I have. It is entirely possible I have one I have never even opened :oops:.[/QUOTE]

I own 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 and I've only played 5:D

[quote name='Josh5890']I own 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 and I've only played 5:D[/QUOTE]

Well, 8 I played on the PS2 and it was probably my favorite PS2 game. 9, like I said, I played for sure. And I'm pretty sure I played the first one that came out on the DS (in the U.S.). That was 4, right? Where it gets iffy for me is whether I ever played 5 or 6. I think I may have played 5, but not 6.

I just read the synopsis for each game at metacritic and NONE of them sound familiar to me at all though I know for sure I played at least one ;).

And I know this is off-topic but I don't see a thread for the game and figured people reading this thread might be interested in the game: what gives with the complete lack of reviews for Etrian Odyssey IV? My copy shipped from GS a few days ago and I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it so I wanted to see some reviews first. GS.com was supposed to swap it for Fire Emblem. I called to do that and they said they couldn't do it then but would before FE came out - but instead they ended up adding FE to my order so I got both (and paid for both).

[quote name='io']And I know this is off-topic but I don't see a thread for the game and figured people reading this thread might be interested in the game: what gives with the complete lack of reviews for Etrian Odyssey IV? My copy shipped from GS a few days ago and I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it so I wanted to see some reviews first. GS.com was supposed to swap it for Fire Emblem. I called to do that and they said they couldn't do it then but would before FE came out - but instead they ended up adding FE to my order so I got both (and paid for both).[/QUOTE]
There's a lack of reviews for EO4? Huh, saw one just the other day - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/game/nintendo-3ds/etrian-odyssey-iv/legends-of-the-titan

bread's done
Back