Disney buys Lucasfilm & announces Star Wars: Episode VII

Maybe they'll actually be able to make a good SW movie now for a change, didn't care much for I-III. Does this mean he can't go back and change any more stuff in his films now?

Jesus fucking Christ, first Marvel, now Lucasfilm, is Disney trying to having a monopoly on ALL my childhood memories?

[quote name='Nogib']They should have waited until Dec 21 to announce this. Then it would all make sense.[/QUOTE]

That would be a fun press release, however they need to hurry up and get the movie written and then made.

My grandpa is happy. I'm a Star Trek fan. I just want a decent movie.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Jesus fucking Christ, first Marvel, now Lucasfilm, is Disney trying to having a monopoly on ALL my childhood memories?[/QUOTE]

It's probably more that they're creatively bankrupt right now. Just look at how bad John Carter bombed and the last Pirates movie didn't do so well. So they've decided to buy established franchises and use those ideas for movies/tv shows.

It worked well for Marvel, since the movies released after the purchase were produced well(unlike most of the ones before the purchase).

As for Lucas having creative control, I hope not. Considering laughably how bad some of the acting and lines were in the prequel trilogy, I hope they at least have someone assist him(if he's working on the sequel trilogy).

Star Wars has been dead to me for quite some time, so all I can do is lolol.

Holy shit.
Seems like good news to me. The problem with the prequels is that no one told Lucas "No." That won't happen again, I hope.
And I know John Carter didn't do very well financially but the movie itself was quite enjoyable, IMO.

As a massive Star Wars fan, I don't know what to think.

I suppose I'll refrain from judgment until they release the movie. But I have a bad feeling about this...

I'd still like to know if this means he can't go back and bastardize any more of his films from now on.

From reading the press release it sounds like he's giving up all control of the franchise, except staying on as a "creative consultant", whatever that entails.

[quote name='Clak']Well it's been nice knowing all of you.[/QUOTE]

Hell hath indeed frozen over.

My first reaction to this thread was to check the date and see if it was April 1.

[quote name='keithp']I'd still like to know if this means he can't go back and bastardize any more of his films from now on. [/QUOTE]

Probably not(at least not on his own), since those movies are owned by the studio, which is now owned by Disney. So I'm guessing that if he wants to go back & "reimagine" them, he would have to get Disney's approval first.

I seriously expected some huge joke, I even checked to make sure it wasn't an Onion article that got way out of hand. On the upside, I don't think they could fuck it up more than Lucas himself has. Short of placing Disney characters in the film, or another Jar Jar type character.

As a monumental Star Wars fan, I retain hope. I think that the franchise needs less Clone Wars and more material in the foundation and culture of what Star Wars is all about.

I honestly didn't think that the prequels were as bad as everybody said they were. I think people just really love to bitch. Given that, I think that these future films will be pretty stupid. It's going to take a lot of creative writing to come up with good story lines that actually make sense.

[quote name='Clak'] Short of placing Disney characters in the film, or another Jar Jar type character.[/QUOTE]

But that's what scares me. I can see them trying to make the franchise less "adult" and more "kid-friendly", which means more Jar-Jar type characters.

[quote name='keithp']But that's what scares me. I can see them trying to make the franchise less "adult" and more "kid-friendly", which means more Jar-Jar type characters.[/QUOTE]
Eh, they've done ok with Marvel comics, and everyone was afraid we'd see Mickey fighting Wolverine or something. We;ll just have to wait and see.

guess now we can expect a star wars level in the next kingdom hearts game. " sora, donald goofy use the power of the force" not sure what to expect of a new wars film either its been so long and most of the people for the original are so old now but whose to say it wont be animated or cgi.

I'm just as curious to see what comes out of the games department. Not just for Star Wars, but other franchises as well. Indiana Jones in an Uncharted inspired game perhaps?

From CNBC:
Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger, in prepared remarks for analysts, said the plan was to release a new movie in the series every two to three years thereafter.

Lucas, a Hollywood icon known for exercising control over the most minute details of the fictional universe he created, will remain as a creative consultant.

A new movie every 2-3 years? Wow, I guess they'll constantly have one in production. Don't the special effects take like a year alone to do?

Does this mean they could release the original without the edits? I seriously haven't watched the original movies (in full) since the old VCR tapes. I saw a few minutes of the 'revised' New Hope years ago and found it very offputting.

I couldn't care less about episodes 1-3.

Does this mean we get a better chance of them releasing the original trilogy untouched then since they seem so contempt on milking the franchise now?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bardockkun']Does this mean we get a better chance of them releasing the original trilogy untouched then then since they seem so contempt on milking the franchise now?[/QUOTE]

I'd say yes, actually. I doubt they'd invest $4 billion for three movies over the course of 9-10 years. Not to mention Lucas will now have to go through Disney to eff with the movies anymore.

[quote name='Travman93']I'd say yes, actually. I doubt they'd invest $4 billion for three movies over the course of 9-10 years. Not to mention Lucas will now have to go through Disney to eff with the movies anymore.[/QUOTE]
I Hope this comes true and it has all the extras from the DVD set.

Plus I can only dream this happens, but...A Pixar Indiana Jones film would be amazing.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']As a massive Star Wars fan, I don't know what to think.

I suppose I'll refrain from judgment until they release the movie. But I have a bad feeling about this...[/QUOTE]

I see what you did there.

[quote name='Blaster man']Please change the title of the thread to: "George Lucas to ruin 3 more films". Thanks![/QUOTE]

Very unlikely since this acquisition confirms his announcement that he has retired from filmmaking. He said that back in late May.

It'll just be someone else that ruins it. ;)

[quote name='Travman93']Plus just think of all the games that could come from this. An Indiana Jones Uncharted-esque game?[/QUOTE]
Meh. If Lucasarts wanted to do that, they would've already done it. There's no reason why the gaming side of things should change since Disney's game company themselves don't do any big blockbuster titles. Plus Lucasarts is already working on an Uncharted'esque Star Wars game anyways.
[quote name='Blaster man']Please change the title of the thread to: "George Lucas to ruin 3 more films". Thanks![/QUOTE]
He's only "creative consultant" plus if that title were to be used we'd be saying "No, he ruined more then that."

Ah, I kind of forgot about Star Wars 1313. I'm hopeful that this will be great for the franchise, but as a replica prop collector and maker, I'm pretty scared as to what Disney will do in the world of Star Wars costuming and props. They've been notorious for shutting down anyone who crosses them.

[quote name='bardockkun']Meh. If Lucasarts wanted to do that, they would've already done it. There's no reason why the gaming side of things should change since Disney's game company themselves don't do any big blockbuster titles. Plus Lucasarts is already working on an Uncharted'esque Star Wars game anyways.

He's only "creative consultant" plus if that title were to be used we'd be saying "No, he ruined more then that."[/QUOTE]
I know he's only "creative consultant" but I'm sure he'll have a pretty big hand in what happens considering it's his baby. I was mostly making a joke. I figured people would get it.

Another thing, I'm glad I didn't ever bother buying the first six on Blu Ray yet...

[quote name='bardockkun']
He's only "creative consultant" plus if that title were to be used we'd be saying "No, he ruined more then that."[/QUOTE]

If he is now, he won't be for long.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-05-31/news/31931425_1_star-wars-episode-iii-george-lucas

“I’m moving away from the company,” he said. “I’m moving away from all businesses, I’m finishing all of my obligations and I’m going to retire to my garage with my saw and hammer and build hobby movies.”

-------

“Why would I make any more [Star Wars films], when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?” he told the New York Times in January.

[quote name='Blaster man']I know he's only "creative consultant" but I'm sure he'll have a pretty big hand in what happens considering it's his baby. I was mostly making a joke. I figured people would get it.

Another thing, I'm glad I didn't ever bother buying the first six on Blu Ray yet...[/QUOTE]
To be fair, I wanted the thread title to be "Disney buys Lucasfilms! GEORGE LUCAS AND HOWARD THE DUCK REUNITED! HOWARD THE DUCK 2!"

I'll always take more Star Wars. As other's noted, the Marvel movies have mostly been very good and not made kid friendly or anything, so no reason to expect any different from Star Wars.

[quote name='bardockkun']To be fair, I wanted the thread title to be "Disney buys Lucasfilms! GEORGE LUCAS AND HOWARD THE DUCK REUNITED! HOWARD THE DUCK 2!"[/QUOTE]
I like it! The prudes on this board would have bitched though. Good plan not putting that up as title.

They have the lofty high jump of the original trilogy and the meager limbo bar of the prequel trilogy. Safe bet is this is going to fly right between those two points.

For the acquisition I remain indifferent for the time being. Lucas has been mediocre in his franchise revivals and filmwise Disney wouldn't have much to talk about if Marvel wasn't doing gangbusters under them.

[quote name='eLefAdEr']If he is now, he won't be for long.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-05-31/news/31931425_1_star-wars-episode-iii-george-lucas

“I’m moving away from the company,” he said. “I’m moving away from all businesses, I’m finishing all of my obligations and I’m going to retire to my garage with my saw and hammer and build hobby movies.”

-------

“Why would I make any more [Star Wars films], when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?” he told the New York Times in January.[/QUOTE]

The press release of the acquistion says otherwise.

"Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59381

[quote name='ced']They have the lofty high jump of the original trilogy and the meager limbo bar of the prequel trilogy. Safe bet is this is going to fly right between those two points.

For the acquisition I remain indifferent for the time being. Lucas has been mediocre in his franchise revivals and filmwise Disney wouldn't have much to talk about if Marvel wasn't doing gangbusters under them.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they'll go all out on the 3 films so I'm not really all that concerned. They're probably hoping to cover the whole cost of the acquisition with the three movies + merchandising.

[quote name='bardockkun']The press release of the acquistion says otherwise.

"Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59381
[/QUOTE]

I don't doubt they'll ask him for approval on the direction they want to take the story, but I'm inclined to take his wording from late May that his influence will be fairly minimal. It really sounds to me like he's done with that level of intense involvement.

bread's done
Back