What do you shave with?

Dr.Zoidberg

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Ok, I know it's an odd question but I was put in the hospital last week due to headaches and it ended up being a blood clot in my brain. Out of the hospital now and am doing better. But now I am on blood thinners and was told to start using an electric shaver instead of my Mach 3 turbo that I have been using for quite a lot of years.

For those who use electric shavers, which kinds do you have or used in the past? Do you prefer foil or rotary? I used an electric shaver for about a month 10 yrs ago and hated it but now I don't have a choice. Thanks.

I've never liked electric. I've got thick, bristly hair, and a 5 o clock shadow that shows up by noon.

I've always just used disposable razors. Just the gillette twin blade or something similiar. The triple or quad blades seem to rich for my blood, and usually cause me to end up drawing blood.

Gillette Good News Sensitive Skin disposables with the pivot heads seem to do the trick for me, but I generally don't cut myself that often save for a stupid mole just under my nose.

I'd recommend if you're going electric for fear of cutting yourself while on blood thinners, I'd go for a trimmer rather than shaver depending on how you typically keep your facial hair. Mine doesn't usually grow in very thick, so a basic rechargeable trimmer on the lowest setting (I use a cheap Remington) handles the job while leaving me a respectable "haven't shaved in a few days" stubble. Between rotary or foil, I'd go rotary simply for cleanliness. Cleaner heads will result in sharper blades, and that'll go a long way towards being gentler on your skin overall.

Braun used to make decent electric shavers a handful of years ago but the recent model "updates" took a huge dip in quality. I think the company was sold to a different mega-corp parent company or something like that, thus the bad changes. They even eliminated the heated dry function from the cleaning stations in later model revisions. Pay more, get less! I personally dislike rotaries so the old model Braun I have works great for my purposes. If I could bum around and only shave once or twice a week I'd stick with the Gillette MACH3 Turbo.

Braun Advantage 8995. Then go over it with a Gillette Fusion--no shaving cream, just water since is just some short hairs left in trouble spots and my skin isn't sensitive. That combo keeps me just as smooth as shaving with just the fusion and shaving cream, but is quicker and less messy.

I've used both rotary and foil shavers. I find the foil ones give me a closer shave. Easy to keep clean with the cleaning station or just wiping off with the brush it comes with after a shave.

I used to use a Braun, but like others have said, the quality took a dip and the razor was terrible. Currently I use a generic Mach 3 turbo. Been on the same razor now for almost a year due to the jeans/towel trick.

I still have the old model Braun, but I have the new series 5 foil and blades on it now as that's all they make that fits it now. They got so-so reviews on Amazon, but they seem fine to me. Maybe just because my old ones were so worn out. In any case, still doing the job for me. But maybe it's not just the foil/blade change but changes in the newer shavers that make them suck?

I shave with a rusty hunting knife, the only way a man should!

No, actually I use a Mach 3. I've got a Fusion that I bought a while back, but that thing seems to hang a lot, I get more nicks and cuts with it then I do the Mach 3.

I, too, am curious about electric razors that might be mentioned in this thread. I have extremely sensitive skin (especially under my jawline and neck). I want to the make the switch to electric, but I'm not sure which type (foil or rotary) to buy. Some of them are pretty expensive!

Also, what is this jeans/towel trick that has been mentioned?

[quote name='shieryda']

Also, what is this jeans/towel trick that has been mentioned?[/QUOTE]

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/disposable-razor-sharp-jeans.htm

Yes, this actually works. I rinse the blade, then dry it every time. That alone will help tremendously. Before I shave, I grab a pair of my jeans or a towel laying around and wipe the blades on it. It stays sharp for a loooong time this way. I've literally been using the same disposable razor now for about 11 months.

I have used a Gillette Fusion Power for a while. I use to years ago use an electric razor (tried several), but I found those irritated my skin. I switched back to a good old manual razor and never looked back. So much better. More comfortable and a better shave. The more blades the merrier - less chance of cuts and the blades last much longer.

But how often do you shave? I'm an every other day guy myself. And there's still spots around my lower neck that get irritated/rough nearly every time unless I go slow enough.

And sure enough, the shadow is back a few hours later.

I'm using a Dovo Shavette right now. Wasn't very pretty (nicks/not shaving every area evenly) when I was first learning to use it, but now I hardly ever nick myself and would find it hard to go back to my old Fusion.

I've found it to be less irritating to my skin, and 200 blades for $10-11 ish certainly doesn't hurt.

Obviously not the best idea for your situation though.

I've used electric all my life. I don't like rotary blades. I used one once and by noon it looked like I hadn't even shaved that day, but I have a pretty heavy beard. It just doesn't give as close of a shave for me. However, I can still nick my adam's apple area a little if I'm not careful with my foil, so if you're worried about cutting yourself even a little you might just go with a rotary. I currently use this (I didn't pay nearly that much for it though). It's ok. I don't like the tiny third foil on it. I never pop that foil up separately, so I'd rather just have a third full sized foil. I have only bought a new electric razor like twice in my life, and I just buy whatever I can find on clearance.

Oh, I didn't read the OP originally. Oops. So blade razors are out. I've got nothing I can provide as useful input, unfortunately.

Schick Hydro 5 Power Select user here. I'm always looking for the smoothest one out there and this one has been good to me so far.

A good lather is just as important so don't skimp on the good stuff. I picked up a free kit from a store called The Art of Shaving and they have a nice selection of pre-shave oils and creams that really do feel a lot better than the conventional stuff you'd find at a drugstore or grocer.

For the OP: Braun or Remington's traditional foil electrics could be a good choice. How thick is your facial hair? Does it follow a particular pattern? I used to be an electric user for years but as my facial hair grew thicker, it would always leave behind a few spots, especially around the jaw and neck areas where my growth pattern would vary a lot.

Another thing to consider with switching between electrics and blades is that it takes at least a couple weeks to 'train' your beard because of the different ways they cut, which usually results in more irritation at the beginning.

And there's usually a subreddit for these kinds of things. Might be a good place to start as any: http://www.reddit.com/r/malegrooming/

I use a trimmer since I usually don't mind the little hair left. If I want to go completely smooth, then I trim it and then I shave it off with a Gillette Fusion. Makes it easier on the razor.

I use a Wahl beard/mustache trimmer to cut the excess hair off, then a Remington rotary electric shaver to get it close. I used to use just the Remington and it hurt like a bitch, because it would pull the hair if it was longer than stubble/shadow.

[quote name='whoknows']Electric doesn't keep my face as silky smooth as my Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor does.[/QUOTE]
This is exactly my deal.

[quote name='davo1224']I use a Wahl beard/mustache trimmer to cut the excess hair off, then a Remington rotary electric shaver to get it close. I used to use just the Remington and it hurt like a bitch, because it would pull the hair if it was longer than stubble/shadow.[/QUOTE]

That's one great thing about a lot of the Braun foil shavers, they have a blade in the middle of the foils for cutting longer hairs.

Still need to use a trimmer if it's really long, but I can go 2-3 days in between shaves and get no pulling as that middle blade cuts the longer hairs shorter, and then the stubs then fit in the foils and get cut close by the main blades.

Rotary shavers are bad about pulling longer hairs, and foil shavers without that blade just end up not cutting a lot of longer hairs as they just bend instead of going in the foils.

My dad has this awesome Braun foil from like 25+ years ago. I love that thing and it still runs like a champ. I hope to inherit it and pass it down to my son if I ever have one.:D

I have used the Mach 5 turbo for a few years up until the the Fusion Proglide Styler came out. Yes, the one with the commercial that has Andre 3000 and the other guys.

It's awesome. The shave is great, the power vibrate is stronger than the turbo models. I love it. Just make sure you dry off the blade after every use. Those things are expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Fusi...id=1351863960&sr=8-3&keywords=fusion+proglide

Well worth it.

Disposables that are pitched after about 4-5 shaves. I just use dollar shave club. I know I can buy their blades in bulk but I'd rather just pay extra to not have a big bag of razor blades in my closet.
I used to use electric but finding and replacing the blades I am not sure how to do and too lazy to bother with so pretty much when the blades mess up then I never use it again.
I tried wetshaving but it took too long for me and I can shave with disposables in like a minute. Would rather do the quickest way.

After using the electric shaver, I don't know if I will go back to a razor after I get off these meds. The first shave wasn't so great but I blame myself since I had a decent beard and should have used my trimmer first but have been using the electric since last week and I am impressed. Overall, I would give it an 8. There are parts of my face that seem just as smooth as with a razor but there are a couple of tough areas but I took others advice and go back over my face lightly with a razor and that seems to work really good. I am going to try some pre-shave lotions/oils and see if they help at all.

[quote name='Strell']Anyone here do wetshaving? I'm slowly transitioning into it from using disposables.[/QUOTE]

I'm using a Merkur double edged w/ Feather blades. I've tried a lot of stuff since my beard a real chore to deal with, and that's defnitely the combo I've had the most success with. Plus I'm saving a lot of money buying the Feather blades vs your usual triple/quadruple blade setups.

Takes a little bit of practice to perfect the wet shave, but if you're already in the process it shouldn't be too bad, just a matter of taking your time. Make sure you're using quality stuff for your lather (ie stuff you mix yourself, not the usual Barbasol stuff from a can) for beat results. There are plenty of Youtube vids on it that help a bit, after you get over he fact you're watching some dude in his bathroom grooming himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg'] I am going to try some pre-shave lotions/oils and see if they help at all.[/QUOTE]

I find the Williams Lectric Shave oil helps some. Stiffens the hairs to stand up and go in an electric razor a little better.

[quote name='KaneRobot'][stuff][/QUOTE]

Have you tried a straight razor at all? There's a lot of positive buzz about Merkur stuff everywhere I go when I research this stuff. I've gotten really annoyed with using disposables because they don't give me a close shave, and decided it's got to be a combination of technique and the equipment.

Straight razors seem classy, but perhaps more difficult to use. Safety razors seem more common and there's tons of helpful information (as you said, the youtube videos, which was a funny comment by the way). Basically I feel like I need to start using something more - for lack of a better word - manly.

I use safety blades - it is the official cheapass way to go. I don't use a straight razor because I don't want to slice my head off.

Every other month or so I'll nick myself but I don't care, I'm not going to get ripped off by Gilette or Schick. Some of the nicks are pretty rough though, I won't lie...

I use a Merkur Single Blade 180 safety blade, and I have to say it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. It costs about $35 and replacing the blades are $5 for a pack of 10. In the long run it becomes cheaper replacing blades than buying those Fusion or Mach 5 replacments at $15 for only 3 or 4 blades. That shit's expensive.

It's sharp as hell. I hacked my face up a couple times getting used to it. But once you get the hang of it it'll be the closest shave you'll ever have. Just remember to take your time and work slow and the stubles will comes off like slicing through hot butter. It has a nice weight to it being stainless steal. It feels great to wield like a samurai with his katana.

I just tried the Fusion Pro Glide (was using Fusion), and it does seem to be better. I find that the Fusion ones last far longer than disposable razors. So the cost ends up probably about the same (I haven't actually got numbers for you - just a feeling :), but the shave is better and there's a bit less waste too (you're only tossing out the cartridge, and doing so far less often).

In case it's not obvious, you can use the pro glide carts on the original Fusion handle. I have the battery one.

If you have a Costco (and I imagine Sam's Club as well) membership, that's a good place to get Fusion blades since it's a good bit cheaper to buy in bulk and be set for a while.

bread's done
Back