Battlefield 1942 free on Origin

I own the original, but when I tried asking a CS rep to register the game they said they didn't have 1942 on their list of games.

Glad it's back! Thanks OP!

Thanks OP, got it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is this just multi-player? Or is there a solid single player *game* there?[/QUOTE]

All the Battlefield games are just multiplayer or single player with bots. They only started to campaigns when Bad Company came out.

I hope there's only 1 or 2 responses about how much someone just HATES using Origin.

Please don't cry about Origin.

Thanks for the heads up. I deleted my fb last year but the offer pops up when you open Origin as M3w said.

I haven't played 1942 in a long long time. This should create some good nostalgia when I get some time to play.

Any news on whether they will be giving the XBLA version away? I guess that doesn't happen, but would be nice. No PC to game on here.

[quote name='crunchewy']Any news on whether they will be giving the XBLA version away? I guess that doesn't happen, but would be nice. No PC to game on here.[/QUOTE]

1942 never had a console release.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is this just multi-player? Or is there a solid single player *game* there?[/QUOTE]

No real campaign to speak of; just a bunch of "domination" style(ie, capture a flag, hold it for points) maps. You can set up a solo game and play against bots, but they may well be the stupidest bots in any FPS ever.

[quote name='clonesniper666']1942 never had a console release.[/QUOTE]

Doh! Mixed it up with the XBLA one. Not sure of the year. :)

Thanks OP! This is so exciting I put a truckload of hours into this a decade ago for some time and I still played from time to time and now I have no excuse not to play. I really hope they offer the expansion packs down the road digitally, even to be bought I would pay $5 for each happily because the base game is free, secret weapons of WWII is so bad ass lol. Road to Rome was pretty good too.

Thanks, OP!

Please have mod support, I miss Desert Combat - still one of the best multiplayer games of all time.

I'll just leave this here.....lol

3obt3r.jpg

[quote name='Microshock']I hope there's only 1 or 2 responses about how much someone just HATES using Origin.

Please don't cry about Origin.[/QUOTE]
After the Fall Harvest sale and this, I actually now ambivalent to Origin. After you install, you don't have to run it to play the games.
picture.php

Well I just tried the game and works well. One issue that many might hate is you need have origin running if you play the game. Here's a guide I found that allows you to run widescreen resolutions, the menu screen doesn't change, but in-game it does. Make sure your location that points to "Custom" is replaced with the User name you choose in the menu.

http://www.widescreengaming.net/wiki/Battlefield_1942

[quote name='Mugatu']Thanks, OP!

Please have mod support, I miss Desert Combat - still one of the best multiplayer games of all time.[/QUOTE]

It supports mods

How does Origin work for free stuff like this? Is it like PSN, where you can DL it, but its not actually in your account history, so you dont really own it?

[quote name='MysterD']Yay for FREE BF 1942. :D
For some reason, I never owned that game...[/QUOTE]

Hopefully it holds up well- was freaking revolutionary and blew my mind when I first hopped into wake island

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Hopefully it holds up well- was freaking revolutionary and blew my mind when I first hopped into wake island[/QUOTE]

Same here. After playing 1942 on a friends pc I immediately went and bought a new computer that could play it. When BF2 released I built a new PC for it. And I continued the tradition by building a new PC last October leading up to the release of BF3.

Battlefield is what got me into and kept me into PC gaming.

Here's a link to a mod that somewhat improves BF1942 visuals:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/battlefield-high-definition

Here's a blurb about it:

The modification brings the following enhancements to Battlefield 1942:

• Drastically increased view distances
  • Increased the rendering quality of the terrain
  • Increased the rendering distance of most vehicles
  • Most vehicles will stay on the map permanently when destroyed
  • Dead bodies remain for five minutes (you will rarely see them disappearing)
  • Added blood effects
  • Added third person view
  • Many more minor tweaks

I wish there was a high res texture mod or something, o well.

1943 is a hell of a fun game. I was so disappointed it never made it to pc. Got rid of my 360 a while back but it seemed as if you couldn't connect to a server half the time anyhow.

I might check this out but I do not have an Origin account. Thanks for the heads up.

I was always fond of the Forgotten Hope mod for BF1942. It added a tiny bit more realism to the game, but not too much, and also added tons of new vehicles. There were a few neat naval maps too, although they didn't work out too well unless you had a full game. They made a North Atlantic scenario with the Tirpitz and Prinz Eugen plus two U-boats vs. the Hood, some other British battleship, the Ark Royal and several destroyers. The disappearance of naval combat was one of the biggest losses is the Battlefield series.

No expansions. Just played it for an hour - brought back great memories. I just held off the entire Lutwaffe in Battle of Britian using our last remaining gun turret. Held out a long time before they finally got me. Scary that it has been 10 years already!

Saw this earlier on Battlelog. But thanks for posting this on CAG for our fellow Cag's... Hoorahh!!!

[quote name='powersurge']Does this include any of the expansions?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter it's free!!

bread's done
Back