Election Day 2012: I Voted for Kodos

KingBroly

CAGiversary!
Welcome everyone to the end. The end of the world. The end of the United States of America. The end of days. The end of the 2012 electoral season...maybe. Today, November 6th, 2012, marks the final time will see such lovely advertisements on our televisions, newspapers, internet sites and other forms of media featuring "prominent" politicians. The two most notorious of these beings are none other than President Barack Hussein Obama and Former Massachusetts Governor Willard Mitt Romney.

Romney-and-Obama-debate-via-AFP.jpg

WHAT'S AT STAKE?
- The Presidency of the United States of America
- 33 seats of the United States Senate
- 435 seats of the United States House of Representatives
- 11 State Governors

In a few short hours, people will begin to do what feels like the right thing to do in this country. And that's play Halo 4. Seriously, have you seen the graphics? THEY LOOK AMAZING! Wait, what? A political election? Alright. I guess that's important too. Once people vote, they will begin to proclaim how great it is to vote and how great their country is only to berate it a few hours later once they realize that their candidate was vanquished in an electoral landslide. Which side will you land on this time?

Make your Own Map
www.270towin.com
Here you can determine your own political map by method of clicking until your heart's content.

Last edited by a moderator:
22 of the 33 Senate seats up for grabs this time are expected to go to the incumbents. Regardless of which presidential candidate wins, they will have a tough time getting both parties to meet in the middle to get anything done.

[quote name='IRHari']This is different from the 2012 election thread...how?[/QUOTE]

It isn't overrun by personal insults.

Yet. ;)

[quote name='IRHari']This is different from the 2012 election thread...how?[/QUOTE]

This is specifically for Election Day and Election Day Coverage. I asked about it in the other thread and got no objection.

It isn't? :lol:

We have 3 2012 election threads already. I don't think another one is going to kill us...now if we had another 2, that'd be another story.;)

Anywho, the title is disappointing.:cry:

[quote name='eLefAdEr']It isn't overrun by personal insults.

Yet. ;)[/QUOTE]

Douchebag ;)

[quote name='eLefAdEr']22 of the 33 Senate seats up for grabs this time are expected to go to the incumbents. Regardless of which presidential candidate wins, they will have a tough time getting both parties to meet in the middle to get anything done.[/QUOTE]

Srsly, they do meet in the middle to get stuff done. Granted, it's terrible things that are done, like the Patriot Act, NDAA, the Iraq War, etc., but hey, it's bipartisan, right?

[quote name='dohdough']It isn't? :lol:

We have 3 2012 election threads already. I don't think another one is going to kill us...now if we had another 2, that'd be another story.;)

Anywho, the title is disappointing.:cry:[/QUOTE]

I'm apt to change if there are any suggestions.

I had a couple as a subtitle:
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Revenge, Rape and Republicans
- "Voting the Best Revenge"

But I couldn't help but think they'd be in bad taste or would go over people's heads.

Internal Campaign Polling is usually very good, assuming they're done right. In 04, I believe it was Kerry's internal team who forgot to do polling in rural Ohio, which is where Bush won the election. "Night of the Living Dead" is what I think it was called.

And what team Obama thinks about Pennsylvania and Wisconsin is apparent when you look at where Obama is making appearances and sending Bill Clinton.

Yes but I'm kind of regretting it, I could have used it as an excuse for coming into work late. Then again, standing in that line for hours.....shudder...

Polls don't open here in nevada for a few more hours. Looking forward to exercising my god given rite as a american

I didn't bother voting early as friends who did said the lines were long at the couple places around the city here. Figured lines will be shorter today with a ton of polling places going rather than just the handful of early voting locations.

Will head out in a bit, nice being able to walk to my polling place--though hoping the rain lets up.

Early Voting for me this time was a lot easier than when I did it in 2004. That took me about 4 hours. This time it was 1. Now that was a mess.

I am just hoping my brother in law stays away hunting one more day. Either way I don't want to be around him if Obama wins or losses. I know he will be too happy or too upset than is actually called for.

[quote name='onikage']I'm going with:

Obama - 303
Romney - 235[/QUOTE]

I just played around with one of those electoral college maps. Went conservative and gave Romney Florida and Virginia (really I think he just gets one of those two, most like FL) and that brings it to:

Obama- 290
Romney- 248

If Obama gets VA, then he jumps up to your prediction, and I think that's probably most likely.

Nate Silver's analysis shows Romney has a < 10% chance of winning: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...ains-for-obama-leave-romney-with-longer-odds/

Of course, you can cite one article from a British tabloid (what is it with conservatives and the Daily Mail? Is that a News Corp. property?) to show that Romney has a chance. But no reasonable person who looks at objective data and analysis is giving Romney much of a chance at all today.

I'm less sanguine about those prospects. Data show Obama has all the momentum he needs, all polls but Rasmussen (whose methodology oversamples Republicans and therefore has Romney ahead) point to Obama leading (a few, like Gallup's last poll, show ties).

But Romney might be able to win, and if he does, the name John Husted will, I guarantee you, be on the lips of every single American in coming months. Voting controversy in Ohio will be the only way Romney will win.

[quote name='mykevermin']Nate Silver's analysis shows Romney has a < 10% chance of winning: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...ains-for-obama-leave-romney-with-longer-odds/

Of course, you can cite one article from a British tabloid (what is it with conservatives and the Daily Mail? Is that a News Corp. property?) to show that Romney has a chance. But no reasonable person who looks at objective data and analysis is giving Romney much of a chance at all today.

I'm less sanguine about those prospects. Data show Obama has all the momentum he needs, all polls but Rasmussen (whose methodology oversamples Republicans and therefore has Romney ahead) point to Obama leading (a few, like Gallup's last poll, show ties).

But Romney might be able to win, and if he does, the name John Husted will, I guarantee you, be on the lips of every single American in coming months. Voting controversy in Ohio will be the only way Romney will win.[/QUOTE]

That last paragraph is the only thing that really has be chomping at the bit today. Like I said before, the only thing that can really win it for Mittens is voter suppression and tampering. I really hope this doesn't come down to another Supreme Court decision.

Vote Zod!

Oddly this was the easiest vote ever for me. I was in and out of the place in about 5 minutes.

I just played around with the electoral map more. Even giving Romney Florida, VA and Ohio, it still comes to 272-266 in favor of Obama with giving him the other swing states.

Just hard to find a path for Romney to win unless the swing state polls have somehow been systematically biased across the board.

Here are the poll closing times (EST)

6 p.m.
Indiana
Kentucky
U.S. Virgin Islands

7 p.m. (60 electoral votes)
Georgia
South Carolina
Vermont
Virginia

7:30 p.m. (38 electoral votes)
North Carolina
Ohio
West Virginia

8 p.m. (172 electoral votes)
Alabama
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Illinois
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Mississippi
Missouri
New Hampshire
New Jersey
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Tennessee
Washington, D.C.

8:30 p.m. (6 electoral votes)
Arkansas

9 p.m. (156 electoral votes)
Arizona
Colorado
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan
Minnesota
Nebraska
New Mexico
North Dakota
South Dakota
Texas
Wisconsin
Wyoming

10 p.m. (21 electoral votes)
Iowa
Montana
Nevada
Utah

11 p.m. (82 electoral votes)
California
Hawaii
Idaho
North Dakota
Oregon
Washington

1 a.m. (3 electoral votes)
Alaska

What the fuck is wrong with Indiana and Kentucky. Both have split time zones throughout the state. Either way, closing down voting at 6 p.m. ET for some or 7 pm CT for others is stupid. Actually looking at some of the other times it seems a few other close at 7 pm local. They should be open till 8 or even 9. The results can wait to be sure people can vote. I know they have to let you vote if you are in line but some people do work.

[quote name='nasum']Vote Zod!

Oddly this was the easiest vote ever for me. I was in and out of the place in about 5 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Only five or so people ahead of me. Less than five minutes even with filling out the form and getting driver' license scanned (GA requires photo ID).

Guess around 11am is a good time as you miss the morning voters and beat the lunchtime rush.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmaul1114']Same here. Only five or so people ahead of me. Less than fine minutes even with filling out the form and getting driver' licence scanned (GA requires photo ID).

Guess around 11am is a good time as you miss the morning voters and eat the lunchtime rush.[/QUOTE]

Were they hauling people away left and right for voter fraud?

Didn't see any problems. Not a new law here so I assume most are aware if it. I live and vote in a pretty well off and liberal part of the city though so probably not many residents without photo IDs at this polling place anyway.

[quote name='KingBroly']Internal Campaign Polling is usually very good, assuming they're done right. In 04, I believe it was Kerry's internal team who forgot to do polling in rural Ohio, which is where Bush won the election. "Night of the Living Dead" is what I think it was called.[/QUOTE]
You know who else said last minute internal polling showed tightened races or leads in PA, IA and Ohio? McCain.
The Wall Street Journal today publishes an internal McCain campaign polling memo from yesterday. Bill McInturff, the campaign’s lead pollster, paints a rather different picture than the one we’ve seen in most media polling, and suggests those media polls will begin dramatically to tighten in the next day or two.
[...]
The McCain campaign has made impressive strides over the last week of tracking.
The campaign is functionally tied across the battleground states … with our numbers IMPROVING sharply over the last four tracks.
The key number in our mind is Senator Obama’s level of support and the margin difference between the two candidates.
As other public polls begin to show Senator Obama dropping below 50% and the margin over McCain beginning to approach margin of error with a week left, all signs say we are headed to an election that may easily be too close to call by next Tuesday.
[...]
We are witnessing a significant shift across the battleground states. The race has moved significantly over the past week, closing to essentially tied on the last two-day roll. [...] Finally, in terms of critical improvement, even as this track shows more Republicans voting for us than Democrats supporting Obama, we are witnessing an impressive “pop” with Independent voters.
[...]
I am becoming increasingly persuaded it will be very difficult for Senator Obama to perform much above his percentage of the vote in a state. This puts any number of historically red states very much “in play” and MUCH more competitive than is generally believed by the media. But critically, as Obama drops below 50% in other blue states, some of these states may also becoming back in play as well.
Stop me when this starts to sound familiar. Do you expect any of these guys to say "Nope, we're boned. Everyone just give up; the dozens of polls showing us losing key states are right..."

Well that was as easy as it gets. In and out in 5 min. No ballot measures to vote on and I live in a super Republican area so all local elections were unopposed so I skipped them. The best part was being able to vote against Paul Ryan Twice. Once for Rep and Once for Vice President. I really don't like that guy.

So much different than 08 when I lived in FL. 3+ hour wait but at least the weather was nice.

Damnit, dohdough said to make a witty title.

[quote name='eLefAdEr']It isn't overrun by personal insults.

Yet. ;)[/QUOTE]

I loved you when you were fat.

I had basically no wait to cast my ballot. I used a optical scan ballot and then had to wait for my wife as she opted for the touchscreen. She said she had enough scantron tests in school. ;)

President, Senate, House, 2 state-wide questions and 2 county bond proposals.

Went before work and the line was wrapped around the building. Went back around 11 am and the line was about 30 deep but moved pretty quick.

Early voting is self defeating where I live. Took all of five minutes to vote at the empty church 3 blocks from my house today.

Mail in voting for the win. If I recall you can only pick up a contested ballot at polling places these days. If you don't get your ballot in the mail, you can't vote.

[quote name='EdRyder']Early voting is self defeating where I live. Took all of five minutes to vote at the empty church 3 blocks from my house today.[/QUOTE]

Same, other than for me it was 4 blocks and in the party room of a high rise condo building. Friends reported long lines at early voting places, but there were only a handful for the whole city/county where as there are a ton of specific polling places on election day.

For me it would be the other way around. When I voted on election day last time I stood in line for hours.

[quote name='IRHari']
Srsly, they do meet in the middle to get stuff done. Granted, it's terrible things that are done, like the Patriot Act, NDAA, the Iraq War, etc., but hey, it's bipartisan, right?[/QUOTE]

Totally. And of those, barely anyone who voted one way or the other read the respective bills in their entirety. Probably so they could get back to their constituents and listen to what they have to say (read: go back home and do mostly nothing until the next session).

If you want a lot of vacation time, become a congressman.

http://www.spillingbuckets.com/2010/10/just-when-does-congress-work.html

The United States PATRIOT ACT and its' renewal are probably the most fascinating pieces of legislation I've ever read. It's really the tip of the iceberg about what goes on in Washington D.C. I believe.

[quote name='Clak']For me it would be the other way around. When I voted on election day last time I stood in line for hours.[/QUOTE]

I've never had hours long lines, but had 30-45 minutes sometimes in the past--smaller city in WV, suburbs in DC area.

Seems it's easier in big cities as with the population density there are a lot more polling sites for different neighborhoods etc. so you get fewer people at each one.

Also just a matter of beating the rush, lines are long in morning and evening before and after work. Not so much during the day as you don't have as many retired or other non-working folk living in the city (at least in the pricier areas where it's mostly small condos etc.), but lots rushing to get it in before or after work.

Took about 20 mins or so this morning at 7:30 here in the burbs at a Catholic church. There was a long line for some but the folks with last name A-D (which is me) didn't really have a line. Me and my wife and 2 year old went - was surprised to see as many kids as I did.

bread's done
Back