RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

eldergamer

CAGiversary!
It looked like the old thread was closed, so it falls upon me to make a new one.

All we ever do is talk about old games anyway.

On that note, Persona 1, Persona 2 IS, and Persona 3 (Portable and Answer) are on sale on
the PSN store this week.
($4.99, $14.99 and $9.99 respectively)

Finished (nearly) Devil Survivor 2 a few months ago, so I'm a little burnt out on the whole SMT thing, but these have always been one of the best tactically complex RPGs.

Which should I pick up? I loved P2: Eternal Punishment back on the OG PS. Did not care for the setting and on-rails structure of Persona 3.

I only played the PS 2 version of Persona 3 FES.

What I meant by on rails is how some choices were made for you. Oh it's nighttime, you can't go shopping; sorry, you can't go to the dungeon and fight now, etc, etc. The combat was fine. (I played the version where you could control the characters)

I also hated how it echoed your decisions back at you. "Take a rest? Yes/No." "You choose to rest."

[quote name='eldergamer']What I meant by on rails is how some choices were made for you. Oh it's nighttime, you can't go shopping; sorry, you can't go to the dungeon and fight now, etc, etc. The combat was fine. (I played the version where you could control the characters)[/QUOTE]

It always made sense to me. When you have other commitments that day, like meeting with the team, you aren't going to be able to do other things. While that may be a pain in the ass, usually you have enough warning.

Talk of RPGs Past because lately, modern RPGs just aren't the same.

I am very much looking forward to Tales of Xillia and Ni No Kuni, though. Anything else I should have on my radar (non-portables)? The newest RPG released I played is Tales of Graces f, I think.

New thread, yippee. Not much to contribute. I beat Birth by Sleep the other day. The final playthrough felt really tedious. I still need to get one more Xenohort's report then onto the final chapter.

Overheard some guy at GS say, "Assassian's Creed 3 is probably my favorite RPG this generation"

[quote name='Rodimus']New thread, yippee. Not much to contribute. I beat Birth by Sleep the other day. The final playthrough felt really tedious. I still need to get one more Xenohort's report then onto the final chapter.

Overheard some guy at GS say, "Assassian's Creed 3 is probably my favorite RPG this generation"[/QUOTE]

Being very loose with the definition of RPG, AC3 can be considered one. Just like how every Zelda game is considered a RPG.

In other news, SWTOR goes F2P Nov 15th. For those of you thinking about playing, come to the official thread!

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331023

March 2010 in the West. Hopefully XIII-3 lands this Spring.

On the subject of past RPGs, I'm playing through FFIV for the first time (the PSP version is very nice), and currently trying to figure out how to dispose of Soego in Planescape Torment.

Whoa, it's been awhile since a new thread got started.

Currently plugging away at Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life. Recently got the blue feather, but am still only able to ship milk and eggs from my storage room.

Haven't been playing it much this week, though, thanks to Halo 4 :p

Very excited about Paper Mario: Sticker Star this Sunday. Though from what I've read it's the least rpg-like entry yet.

I just beat tales of grace f and the game was awesome. My wife is happy now since I was hooked on the game and could not put it down

[quote name='eldergamer']All we ever do is talk about old games anyway.[/QUOTE]
Hey, now. We talked about Project Eternity. That game just looks old.
[quote name='Erad30']Very excited about Paper Mario: Sticker Star this Sunday. Though from what I've read it's the least rpg-like entry yet.[/QUOTE]
Even more than the Wii game?
[quote name='panzerfaust']March 2010 in the West. Hopefully XIII-3 lands this Spring.

On the subject of past RPGs, I'm playing through FFIV for the first time (the PSP version is very nice), and currently trying to figure out how to dispose of Soego in Planescape Torment.[/QUOTE]
Ah, the Dead Nations.

Don't miss learning to speak to Stale Mary, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been trying to play Disgaea 3 but I just can't get into it. I find the MC to be obnoxious. ~_o Anyone play Ragnarok Tactics yet? If so, is it any good?

Picking up P2 during the psn sale, Going on a business trip soon so my psp is going to get some much needed love in the form of FFT & Valkyria Chronicles 2.

Just got Balthier in FFT and man is he OP. Incredible speed and equipment and 10 levels above everyone else.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Nippon Ichi's "The Witch And The Hundred Knights"

http://www.nisamerica.com/games/witch100/[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I forgot the name of this one after hearing about it on 8-4 Play podcast, Amazon deleted my browsing history. Kept second guessing myself when trying to remember what it was, confusing it with Wrath of the White Witch, which I knew was Ni No Kuni, haha.

[quote name='likeme']I just beat tales of grace f and the game was awesome. My wife is happy now since I was hooked on the game and could not put it down[/QUOTE]

Now time to start New Game+ :)
(Or Lineage & Legacies, if you didn't already)

[quote name='eldergamer']Mugen Souls just came out. No opinions?
http://www.amazon.com/Mugen-Souls-P...F8&qid=1352440400&sr=1-1&keywords=mugen+souls

Ragnarok Tactics/Odyssey?

So I plan on picking up at -least- Persona 2. Is Persona 1 pretty dated? (hmm. first person dungeons?)
I know Persona 4 Golden is coming out for the Vita. No PSP version?[/QUOTE]

Haven't opened any of them. X-Com and Mugen Souls are at the top of my list, yet I find myself playing FTL and other indie games.

[quote name='eldergamer']So I plan on picking up at -least- Persona 2. Is Persona 1 pretty dated? (hmm. first person dungeons?)
I know Persona 4 Golden is coming out for the Vita. No PSP version?[/QUOTE]

Lots of people rip on Persona 1 but I'm a firm defender of it. My opinion towards it is probably nostalgia if nothing else but damn I love that game. P1 is no more dated than an old school FF or DQ game. Plus it's got the choicest battle music, listening to it wants me to do another playthrough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ8xSqgEA_I

[quote name='The Crotch']Everything is overpowered in FFT.[/QUOTE]
not archers and their charge + 20

Alright, fair enough. And I vaguely recall geomancy being shit.

Did War of the Lions fix that infinite-resurrection female accessory bug?

Geomancy was amazing when you first got it, just not later. The abilities don't scale that impressively.

But nothing beats an assassin squad of dual-fist-wielding, teleporting monks with bracers. I unintentionally made a DBZ squad every time I played.

I've heard nothing but good things about Radiant Historia. It's probably one of the last few :ds: RPGs I haven't played. (And DQM 2)

Is Persona 4 (golden or non-golden) coming out for the PSP or just the vita?

[quote name='eldergamer']Is Persona 4 (golden or non-golden) coming out for the PSP or just the vita?[/QUOTE]

Just the Vita, as far as I know. It is why I picked up P4 for the PS2.

i had so much fun with fft. i remember rage frogging mini everyone on both teams and letting it job point boost for hours. i also raised everyone's brave to 100, and lowered their faith to 0 so magic does no damage, and with my blade grasp skill i get 0 damage from all physical damage. i am badass. lol

i also had a team full of hydras and dragons and the guy that was in love with a dragon. and a team full of ninjas and the robot. such a great game!

found the strategy i used 10 years ago it seems, lol. http://www.gameinformer.com/blogs/e...26/i-think-i-broke-final-fantasy-tactics.aspx

and found this like my frog trick i used to do and watch tv.
Wild Frogs!

First, get a wizard that knows frog. It's secondary skill should be Yin Yang Magic and should know Blind Rage. At the beginning of the battle, use frog on all the enemies, and then use frog on your units(except the wizard). Use Blind Rage on your units. When your entire team is Blind Raged, use the autofight "run like a rabbit" feature and sit back. After a few hours, and you should have won the battle, and gained a ton of experience and JP.

[quote name='blueshinra']Radiant Historia is pretty cheap on Amazon right now. Is it worth getting?[/QUOTE]

Yes, wow that is cheap I'm almost tempted to rebuy.

Finished up Tales of Graces F last night. The combat system was my favorite in the series. I'm looking forward to Xillia coming out over here.

I couldn't get into Tales of Graces F. Maybe I'm missing something but the combat doesn't seem as fun as Vesperia or Abyss. I'm just mashing attack not giving a crap about what moves I bust out.

[quote name='Rodimus']I couldn't get into Tales of Graces F. Maybe I'm missing something but the combat doesn't seem as fun as Vesperia or Abyss. I'm just mashing attack not giving a crap about what moves I bust out.[/QUOTE]

How far into the game did you get?

[quote name='Rodimus']I think I'm about 14 hours in.[/QUOTE]

I see. Well I don't really remember if it changes at any specific point, but I do know that by the end of the game, you wouldn't be able to get by on mashing. Maybe you could try increasing the difficulty for now? That might encourage you to make use of better combos.

I'll try getting back into it sometime soon after I finish off a couple other games. I popped it in a couple months back for a few hours and just remember being extremly bored. With that said I didn't start getting into Abyss until the 20 hour mark and it turned out to be my favorite in the series.

man like half the party members you meet in FFIV throw themselves to their heroic death right after you meet them. mass effect 3 all over again.

[quote name='The Crotch']Everything is overpowered in FFT.[/QUOTE]

Not in FFT 1.3, I've watched my friend do battle with that modified and rebalanced version for almost a year now, he's really close to the end of the game now (I think he has 6 or so fights left), but apparently the fights are now ungodly hard.

[quote name='blueshinra']Radiant Historia is pretty cheap on Amazon right now. Is it worth getting?[/QUOTE]

Even though you mentioned the price went back up, I highly recommend the game, if you like time travel stuff you'll probably like how the story is laid out (it basically explores the idea of someone who has the ability to traverse time and fix and change things across two divergent time lines, and seeing characters from one path in the other is often interesting since you know stuff about them or a different possible outcome for them in the other timeline). The characters grow on you, and combat requires some amount of thought since using abilities to position and stack enemies on the battle field so you can hit them all at once allows you to do the most damage so it isn't the more boring turn based RPG not just spamming your best stuff in every fight.

[quote name='panzerfaust']man like half the party members you meet in FFIV throw themselves to their heroic death right after you meet them. mass effect 3 all over again.[/QUOTE]

Oh just wait
you must not be far enough to know how almost everyone comes back to life, in fact only Tellah really dies.

[quote name='icebeast']Not in FFT 1.3, I've watched my friend do battle with that modified and rebalanced version for almost a year now, he's really close to the end of the game now (I think he has 6 or so fights left), but apparently the fights are now ungodly hard.
[/QUOTE]
Ungodly hard in a "we nerfed the shit out of all your broken stuff" way or in a "we buffed everything else so much that you have to abuse the hell out of your broken stuff" way?

I'm getting Champions of Norrath and Champions Return to Arms this or next week.. Really looking forward to playing them.. I never got around to play them when they came out.

Anyone played those?

[quote name='panzerfaust']man like half the party members you meet in FFIV throw themselves to their heroic death right after you meet them. mass effect 3 all over again.[/QUOTE]
especially baigan.

storytime-
when i was like 7 me and my brother couldn't beat baigan so we grinded a lot. we were crappy players.

then one time we fought him in the morning and we thought we were doing really well. then my parents were like "we're going to san diego now!" so we decided to leave the snes on for the entire day until we came back from san diego. we got home and then we beat him at night. lol.

I picked up Persona 2 from the PSN store. Still wavering on Persona 1.
It looks like it has an auto map so hopefully that means the first person dungeons won't be too much of a pain. If it's still on sale when the store updates tonight I'll pick it up.

[quote name='The Crotch']Ungodly hard in a "we nerfed the shit out of all your broken stuff" way or in a "we buffed everything else so much that you have to abuse the hell out of your broken stuff" way?[/QUOTE]

As in got rid of all the broken stuff, and more or less made it impossible to abuse even basic stuff like power leveling, since fights are scaled around your current level (my friend learned the mistake of that his first time through when he power leveled and discovered doing so literally made the game impossible). A lot of being able to beat your enemies now comes from being able to get better equipment then them, through stealing because enemies have better stuff than you can buy because they are always more powerful than you, and using a strategy that will hopefully give you enough of an edge to win. Seems like this page has all of the changes up to the most recent version.

Honestly I don't play that many SRPGs, nor am I a huge fan of FFT (mostly because I don't really care for SRPGs more so than the content of the game) but my friend is a huge fan of the genre and FFT in general, and having watched him play it, listened to him talk about it, and the shear amount of time it's taken him to get as far as he has; I don't doubt him at all when he tells me that is the hardest SRPG he's ever played.

FFT had some really difficult fights, and regardless if you abused your way around those challenges (which takes a long time and makes you feel like an awful person), the battles themselves were still super epic and set up in interesting ways.

[quote name='panzerfaust']FFT had some really difficult fights, and regardless if you abused your way around those challenges (which takes a long time and makes you feel like an awful person), the battles themselves were still super epic and set up in interesting ways.[/QUOTE]
I never felt like an awful person because I really felt like Square made a lot of that shit totally broken on purpose.

bread's done
Back