CAGcast #303: The Hurricane

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Wombat will tell you his story of the hurricane; Shipwreck and Cheapy complain they had too much electricity while playing Halo 4 and Assassin's Creed III. Also, Sony is cheap!

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]212[/podcast]
Download - 1 hour 23 minutes Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

www.GoDaddy.com
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Dazed & Confused movie clip: http://youtu.be/d8WHOiQZGok

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wombat! You can't just have a Hungry Man on Thanksgiving! I had Thanksgiving alone last year and my mentality was "go big or go home." I had 2 boxes of frozen White Castle burgers, a Digiorno supreme garlic bread pizza, and 3 pints of Ben and Jerrys. So unless you're gonna be eating 3 different Hungry Mans, go out and stock up on unhealthy frozen foods to make this the best Thanksgiving ever!

Welcome back Wombat, nice to have the whole crew again (although it's still enjoyable either way). Not sure if I'll be making it to "brown Thursday" due to the madness that occurred at some of the stores yesterday, but I'll definitely hit up some other stores on black Friday. Also, prize wheel with $9 gift cards!

Wombat glad you and your family are okay. My family and I were without power or water for 4 days. We empathize with you something Cheapy lacked. Cheapy we know earthquakes are popular in Japan; however, hurricanes the magnitude of Sandy are not this side of the east coast in the USA. Love you man but sometimes "the jerk " role is not humorous.

Hey Cheapy, did you upload the cagcast to Zune, yet? It looks like there's two copies of last weeks cagcast there, but not this one.

Capcom makes games that look good but play like shit.

Glad to hear Wombat is doing much better than a lot of people in the area. I'm somewhat surprised the media isn't covering it as much as they did with New Orleans.

Show Notes

01:45 Hurricane Update
15:00 Watch This: The Adventures of Tin-Tin
15:45 BounceTV - Breakin', Breakin 2
18:15 New Releases: Halo 4
26:00 Midway Arcade Origins
28:45 Nascar the Game: Inside Line
31:00 Mass Effect Trilogy, Sants Row III Complete Package, Little Big Planet Carting
31:45 Pokedex 3D Pro
34:30 Shopping news: Best Buy, Walmart Black Friday & Brown Thursday.
43:15 NPD results
48:00 Assassin's Creed III
50:45 Need For Speed: Most Wanted
53:15 Pid (they probably should've googled that name before deciding to use it)
56:15 Origin
57:45 GTA V details
1:00:30 Navy Seals/Medal of Honor reprimand
1:03:30 Xbox Smart Glass app update - Halo 4, Forza Horizons
1:06:30 Sports Friends
1:13:00 Star Wars Angry Birds
1:15:00 Cagbag
1:17:00 Ship drops the ball on the NBA Baller Beats video review

Cheapy, what you described for what they should do with Medal of Honor is basically exactly what Unit 13 is for the Vita.

[quote name='Mixer236']Cheapy, what you described for what they should do with Medal of Honor is basically exactly what Unit 13 is for the Vita.[/QUOTE]

What he said. Cheapy, Unit 13 is the perfect template of the kind of shooter you describe. You should check it out if you haven't already. It'll breath new life into your vita. :booty:

Still not seeing the episode to download (Pocket Casts app on my android phone). Something wrong with the rss feed?

[quote name='jstew9']Still not seeing the episode to download (Pocket Casts app on my android phone). Something wrong with the rss feed?[/QUOTE]

Not seeing it yet for iOS either. I have Automatic Download turned on, so there must be an issue with the feed or something.

CheapyD really sounds heartbroken over Wombat and family's troubles. cmon CheapyD, hug it out.
Glad you are ok Wombat! Also my wife had another lil baby, lil grrl Lux! Peace and Great Show!

[quote name='hunterny77']Wombat glad you and your family are okay. My family and I were without power or water for 4 days. We empathize with you something Cheapy lacked. Cheapy we know earthquakes are popular in Japan; however, hurricanes the magnitude of Sandy are not this side of the east coast in the USA. Love you man but sometimes "the jerk " role is not humorous.[/QUOTE]

To defend Cheapy, his parents had their home destroyed pretty much, and just before they were about to sell it. They'll probably be stuck with it for months or years repairing trying to fix it up. So they had it much worse off than Wombat, and Wombat should feel lucky that he only lost power during all of this. I do feel for Wombat (glad to have you back on CAGcast!), but when there are people much worse off, it's harder to feel sorry for a 10 day inconvenience. At least that's how I interpreted Cheapy's reaction.

Capcom does fall back on Resident Evil too much, but apparently the 3DS (or DS?) one was good, so it still holds some hope. Without talking about DLC, Capcom did do Asura's Wrath and Dragon's Dogma. That's gotta mean something, right?

Great show! It felt much more fluid, and Wombat being back is proof of that :)

Good job not dying Wombat. Solid.

Watch this Bitches - The Loved Ones

I watched friends play through Halo 4 and rewatched Halo Legends and am really impressed by how they're holding the universe together; thoughts?

Last edited:
Good to hear from Wombat again. Pokedex 3D Pro sounds cool, but $15 is a ridiculous amount of money for that app. I wish Nintendo was more consistent in their prices of E-shop stuff.

"A man is born, he's a man of means.
Then along come two, they got nothing but their SHOES."

:???:

I think it's jeans.

Wombat, LIPA really does sound like a turd. Every time after a major natural disaster, blizzard, Irene, Sandy, they always take too long with fixing and explaining things. If they've run out of poles, why the hell haven't they found a way to put power wires underground like in the city?

Cheapy, I think your observations about the beginning of Assassin's Creed III are spot-on and I'm disappointed that so many reviews gloss over the first few hours of this game. They are incredibly slow and the character that you have to play as is not nearly as interesting as past assassins. I hear he becomes an important part of Connor's story but that doesn't take away from the fact that I'm forcing myself to get through the first few sequences which is something I've never had to do with an AC game.

Thanks Cheapy, Ship and Wombat. Glad to hear Wombat is getting back into his normal groove.

I agree that the first few hours of AC3 is pretty slow. I *think* I see their attempt at the payoff later in the game but overall the pacing is just so inconsistent. Combine that with the multitudes of bugs you're bound to encounter, it felt like a disappointment. I still enjoyed it, but my expectations were pretty high for the fifth title in a series. I expected polish out the wazoo and instead I got a Brown Thursday.

Being from Miami and tasting both types of pizza and hotdogs, Cheapy and Wombat are delusional in saying NY style is better than Chicago. For hotdogs every NY one is way to salty, and if you eat a Chicago style one it HAS to be with Vienna Beef which offer a very pleasant "snap" when bitting into them. As for pizza nothing beats a Giordano's stuffed special, one slice and your full for the rest of the day with a smile on your face, unlike NY style that's flimsy and really not even better than the thin crust pizza in Chicago as well.

[quote name='Sway']I expected polish out the wazoo and instead I got a Brown Thursday.[/QUOTE]

Best review ever :D I'm currently slogging through the boring part, hopefully it gets better.

Welcome back, Wombat! You were indeed missed last week. Not exactly fair of Cheapy to compare Tokyo's disaster preparedness to Long Island's. I feel like Tokyo has had a lot of practice, what with 50-plus years of giant monster attacks.

[quote name='kaw']"A man is born, he's a man of means.
Then along come two, they got nothing but their SHOES."

:???:

I think it's jeans.[/QUOTE]

I always thought the same. I mean, that's the rhyme right?

But hey when is Wombat ever wrong? :razz:

On a serious note- Wombat I'm glad to hear your family is safe and things are starting to go back to normal. Everyone else in NY living through this- our prayers and best wishes are with you.

[quote name='ZombieJeebus']I always thought the same. I mean, that's the rhyme right?

But hey when is Wombat ever wrong? :razz:

On a serious note- Wombat I'm glad to hear your family is safe and things are starting to go back to normal. Everyone else in NY living through this- our prayers and best wishes are with you.[/QUOTE]

Kaw is correct, I was misremembering. I like posting about TV Theme show lyrics a lot more than not having power :).

Been having a bit of a twitter conversation with CheapyD about the podcast not showing up in my feed. After some troubleshooting I emailed the app team (PocketCast for Android) and got back the following response:
I couldn't help but notice in your log file that you are running an old version of Pocket Casts which you probably downloaded from Amazon as part of their free app of the day. It's a bit of a long story, but after being treated very badly by Amazon we've pulled out of their store almost a year ago (Tech Crunch do a good summary here: http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/02/am...when-we-give-your-app-away-and-youll-like-it/ ).The latest update is only available from Google Play. If you purchased our app from Amazon, happy to refund the cost of the Market purchase. If on the other hand you got it for free, then we're humbly asking people to pay for the app to support further development :)

We're already up to version 3.9, with many great new features, and we don't intend to do this again, so apologies for the hassle. If you do want to migrate (and we're not forcing you to):
- From the Amazon version: go into the settings tab of our app, and export all your subscriptions from there (you'll get an email with an opml file attached)
- Once you delete the app (and you have to do that part, it won't install properly over the old one), and re-install from Google Play, you can import this file straight from your mail client

Any podcasts you had downloaded will appear to be non-downloaded, but just tap the download button and it will find the already downloaded file.
I got said response to a 6am Sunday morning email, which was actually impressive.

I went ahead and dropped the $3 on the app in in the Play Store (I use my phone more for podcast listening more than I do for anything else).

Unfortunately this did not fix anything, for some reason the feed is only showing through Nov 2. Both when I search/add CAGcast by name, or when I manually enter the RSS url direct. I have written back to the support team, will be interesting to see what they come up with.

/csb

For Shipwreck

Photo%20Nov%2011%2C%202%2045%2047%20PM.jpg

993RwXpl%20

Finally the episode is up. I really love the show, but I'm honestly so tired of the Playstation hate from Cheapy. Catching up on listening to the older episodes, I figured you would eventualy get over your Xbox bias at some point.

Nope.

Glad you're back, Wombat.

Love how cheapy tries to make Wombat feel like shit for describing how uncomfortable his last week was. What a great friend. I guess that's what happens to you when you sit at home all day every day.

Wombat, that wasn't a waste at all. I wouldn't say I enjoyed hearing about your experience since it was terrible, but it was good to hear a first hand account of the experience. I have family in NY/NJ and luckily they are all back to normal.

Hey Wombat, I too was without power in NJ, Got it yesterday so 14 days in total. I have a generator but with the gas issues I had to conserve it and ended up by my in-laws. These two weeks were pretty rough so I can relate to what you went through. Don't listen to Cheapy short changing it!

On a side note, I still don't understand the 3DS outselling the VITA. I realize cost is definitely a factor but the Vita is far superior. The 3DS hasn't even gotten that many interesting games lately and the VITA catalog is growing. I'm also looking forward to PS Plus coming to VITA. Hopefully Sony will drop the price soon to compete.

[quote name='billyok']Love how cheapy tries to make Wombat feel like shit for describing how uncomfortable his last week was. What a great friend. I guess that's what happens to you when you sit at home all day every day.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he was already sick of hearing about it or something, but it was kind of amazing how much of a douche he was being to Wombat.

Last year when Cheapy was describing how the Japan earthquake affected him and his family I don't remember Wombat trying to downplay it by interjecting that the earthquake in Haiti was much worse.

[quote name='Miada']I really love the show, but I'm honestly so tired of the Playstation hate from Cheapy.[/QUOTE]

He's right this time, IMO. You will never find a bigger Sony fan than me. I do not own a 360, nor have I ever. But even I have come to terms with the fact that Sony are cheap asses. Forcing the JS Joust guys and the other indie developers to Kickstarter to beg for money, instead of investing in the Move. Move has gotten ZERO support from Sony basically. That's one of the reasons it has been such a colossal failure. This time next year, you will see Vita devs panhandling on Kickstart and Twitter to get their games made while Sony sits on their asses. Sony is so cheap, I bought a new Dual Shock controller today, and they don't even pack in the mini USB cord to charge them anymore! Basically to save them like 15 cents. I love my PS3, love my Vita, but in conclusion, fuck Sony.

Hey Wombat, glad to hear you and your family are safe regardless of the massive amount of chaos. And just so you know, you said that you just wasted 12 minutes, that is hardly the truth and I for one was glad to hear what has been happening with you and your family.

Also anyone else on the east coast, I hope you are doing well!

Good show as usual. I enjoyed hearing Wombat's story and I'm glad he's alright. Cheapy and Shipwreck were awfully mean to push him through his story. I didn't feel he talked "too much". Anyway, The Adventures of Tin-Tin actually has really awesome animation and the story is pretty decent. My friends and I feel it's the real Indiana Jones 3.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Wombat, LIPA really does sound like a turd. Every time after a major natural disaster, blizzard, Irene, Sandy, they always take too long with fixing and explaining things. If they've run out of poles, why the hell haven't they found a way to put power wires underground like in the city?[/QUOTE]

It's expensive and no one wants to pay for it :wall:

Just wanted to give you guys some props. Ever since Ship and Cheapy got a PC things've been a lot more entertaining for us PC gamers. It's been nice to see indie titles and obscure PC multiplayer stuff (War of the Roses, Chivalry) discussed.

Keep up the good work. Still hoping Ship and Cheapy will get into Minecraft.

Hey Cheapy,

You mentioned how Origin and Steam are the same and you don't understand why there's so much Origin hate.

EA's Origin EULA allows it to "scan your entire hard drive, and report back absolutely anything you may have installed, and indeed when you may use it, and then pass that information on the third parties."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/24/eas-origin-eula-proves-even-more-sinister/

So fuck EA for forcing us to install their spyware if we wanna play their games.

[quote name='ryogahibiki']EA's Origin EULA allows it to "scan your entire hard drive, and report back absolutely anything you may have installed, and indeed when you may use it, and then pass that information on the third parties."[/QUOTE]Most people probably don't care about that. People dislike Origin because in short: Steam is like XBLA where Origin utilizes the Nintendo strategy.

Think about it, the analogy holds scarily well.

* EA pricing isn't competitive with Steam.
* Origin doesn't support achievements.
* They're lacking in other social features.
* The selection sucks, which results in you installing another client just to play EA specific titles like ME3 and BF3.

[quote name='Das_Regal']
* EA pricing isn't competitive with Steam.
* Origin doesn't support achievements.
* They're lacking in other social features.
* The selection sucks, which results in you installing another client just to play EA specific titles like ME3 and BF3.[/QUOTE]

Well spyware was the main reason I didn't install Origin but all your reasons also work.

In the end, Origin sucks.

For the 5 people that use Pocket Casts and have had troubles getting this ep:
After emailing with the support team throughout this week everything seems to finally be fixed. Got odd for a bit, EP 303 was showing up but it was pulling down the audio for 302 which was just missing.

But as of this morning everything is working.

Per the support team:
I've deleted all their episodes and made our server do a full re-parse of their feed. Long story short everything should be back to normal now, though you may get the newest 3 episodes again,

Great support from their tech team, made dropping the $3 to buy the app for real (not through Amazon) a bit easier to swallow. Very happy with the app on Android.

Now I finally can listen to the hurtful CheapyD hate on Wombat (based on posts in this thread)!

Not sure if the GTA V segment was serious or not. Still isn't anyone out there that can compete with Rockstar when it comes to open-world games.

C'mon y'all, don't be salty because the king is back.

Enjoyed this episode, but I am always surprised at the apathy from you guys towards R* games.

Other open-world games are so dull in comparison to me, it's not even close.

bread's done
Back