* * * * * 1 votes

CAG Car Thread!

#481 wwe101   waiting for hitman 5 CAGiversary!   2277 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the cleaning advice guys.  I will swing by Walmart tomorrow and see if I can find some of the stuff you suggested.

#482 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6860 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the cleaning advice guys.  I will swing by Walmart tomorrow and see if I can find some of the stuff you suggested.

Just so you know, Optimum No Rinse Wash can only be ordered online, but Meguiars stuff is everywhere. I'd strongly recommend getting decent microfiber towels and not the generic big box department store stuff. Good microfiber will hold a lot more liquid, which helps with washing and drying. Grab a decent waffle weave towel too. You don't have to get the most expensive microfiber, but the bundled generic ones on detailing sites like autopia and autogeek are pretty good. There's a clear difference when you compare the wallyworld/target/autozone crap to the stuff you get from those sites. Personally, I don't even really like the Meguiars cloth that much either.

If you decide to go with Mequiars car wash, I'd also recommend getting wash mitts and grit guards from a detailing site or amazon since you can get wash buckets anywhere.

Oh any you can also use Meguiars detailing spray for bird bombs too. I usually grab a regular napkin and wet it with some water to put on top of it for a couple minutes to pretreat the spot as it makes it easier to take off instead of smearing it all over the panel. Then I hit it with the detailing spray and a Meguiars disposable wipe to clean and buff. That way, I don't contaminate any of my microfiber. I'm pretty anal about getting shit on stuff I throw in the wash...hurr hurr

#483 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   17207 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:08 AM

Hahaha definitely won't be buying a corolla.

#484 hpbbes   I typo'd my username CAGiversary!   1267 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:13 AM

Anyone have a foam lance? Thoughts?

#485 6er   Hoping "The Wall" has Gold doors CAGiversary!   2801 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:14 AM

Nah, you just have to wait until your mid-life crisis. I already had a sporty car and have a sports car, so it's only downhill for me. :lol:

The Boss is starting to consider getting a 2015 Camry and hopefully I can steer her towards the XSE trim. I guess I have until spring to convince her that me getting a WRX is appropriate if she doesn't get the Camry. :rofl:

I think I read the XSE was waaaaay over hyped by Toyota, not very distinguished from a normal one. The Mazda 6 is getting a mild refresh, will hit lots next year, gets the Mazda 3 entertainment system.

#486 6er   Hoping "The Wall" has Gold doors CAGiversary!   2801 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:18 AM

I haven't been able to drive my bright red cop bait overpowered car since mid November due to surgery. Only a few days left....

#487 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6860 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:37 PM

I think I read the XSE was waaaaay over hyped by Toyota, not very distinguished from a normal one.

Oh for sure. I don't look at it as anything more than a superficial trim package. If The Boss insists on a Camry, I'm just going to try and push her in that direction. :D

And for those wanting to get some detailing supplies, autopia is having their annual 20% off sale:

http://www.autopia-c...mo-details.html

#488 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6860 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

Anyone have a foam lance? Thoughts?

I don't have one, but from all accounts from those that use it, they make washing cars with soap more effective because the sheer amount of foam lifts the dirt off the car better, but it's more commonly used as a pre-soak to using mitts or a no-rinse wash. It's sun and temperature dependent of course. You don't want the soap to be boiling on your car.

I'd use one if I had a garage though. :D

#489 6er   Hoping "The Wall" has Gold doors CAGiversary!   2801 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:57 PM

Oh for sure. I don't look at it as anything more than a superficial trim package. If The Boss insists on a Camry, I'm just going to try and push her in that direction. :D

And for those wanting to get some detailing supplies, autopia is having their annual 20% off sale:

http://www.autopia-c...mo-details.html

Yeah, my wife wanted a Corolla when the 09 first came out( her car had juat crapped out and she was in a bad wreck in one her friend had and walked away so she was set on them). I know how it goes....

#490 200STM   Bro-Gamer CAGiversary!   803 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:53 PM

Hey there Car CAGs its been a while but I finally got my first car a few months back and its not as nice as some of the cars you guys have posted but its something my first set of wheels that I purchased on my own paid $1,700 in cash its a 1992 Honda Civic LX. Heres a few pics Its a 4 speed auto, 4 cylinder with 102 HP! It has haha 325,017 miles and runs fine it had a engine rebuilt last year and so far shes been good to me. I bought it mainly because I was dating a girl and her mom was driving us to places so I decided to well buy a car so I can take us out to places. Eventually the relationship failed but I got some great experience and I got a car. I've been learning all about the engine and the basics of maintenance; spark plugs, oil change, air filter, wheel balance and just wrenching in general I am just enjoying what I'm learning from working on this car. I feel like maybe I did pay a bit too much for it but so far its been fun driving her around town and doing basic errands and such before I had to ride the bus or ride a bike to get to places. I know its not much but I can finally add something to this gallery hopefully I can get me a good car like some of you cags, you all started from somewhere this is my start. 10513513_10204625111614158_7418639820636143013_n2.jpg  

#491 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4477 Posts   Joined 18.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:05 PM

Hey there Car CAGs its been a while but I finally got my first car a few months back and its not as nice as some of the cars you guys have posted but its something my first set of wheels that I purchased on my own paid $1,700 in cash its a 1992 Honda Civic LX. Heres a few pics Its a 4 speed auto, 4 cylinder with 102 HP! It has haha 325,017 miles and runs fine it had a engine rebuilt last year and so far shes been good to me. I bought it mainly because I was dating a girl and her mom was driving us to places so I decided to well buy a car so I can take us out to places. Eventually the relationship failed but I got some great experience and I got a car. I've been learning all about the engine and the basics of maintenance; spark plugs, oil change, air filter, wheel balance and just wrenching in general I am just enjoying what I'm learning from working on this car. I feel like maybe I did pay a bit too much for it but so far its been fun driving her around town and doing basic errands and such before I had to ride the bus or ride a bike to get to places. I know its not much but I can finally add something to this gallery hopefully I can get me a good car like some of you cags, you all started from somewhere this is my start. attachicon.gif10513513_10204625111614158_7418639820636143013_n2.jpg

Pretty sweet man!  I have a soft spot for EG and EK Civics and yours looks to be in really good condition considering the mileage.  I'm sure you can get it to run for another 200k too :)

I'm glad to see you're doing well, I remember reading your blogs a few years ago.

#492 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6860 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:26 PM

Drove a TLX i4 Tech this weekend and I'm VERY impressed. I went in thinking I wouldn't like it at all, but the second I got in the seat, it felt perfect and better than all the various Lexus models I put my butt in. This thing is COMFY and QUIET with some decent power. Didn't even realize I was going 80 until I checked the speed to get off the freeway. If it weren't for the tranny issues with the model, I would've bought it on the spot. It rides far better than a Camry and much quieter, which The Boss will like, but it handles superbly, which I like. A WRX is going to have to really wow me.

#493 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4477 Posts   Joined 18.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

Dohdough, check out this Caddy:

http://www.herbchamb...4a33be6cd3f.htm

$15K right off the top! I would seriously consider one if I was in the market.

#494 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6860 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:03 PM

Dohdough, check out this Caddy:

http://www.herbchamb...4a33be6cd3f.htm

$15K right off the top! I would seriously consider one if I was in the market.

Wow, it actually looks pretty good! I don't think The Boss would like me bringing home a Caddy though...I think she'd hate that idea more than when I bought the BRZ. :rofl:

#495 Zoglog   Nope CAGiversary!   6498 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:56 PM

http://www.digitaltr...s-and-pictures/

"Cadillac’s 2016 CTS-V hits 200 mph with a 640-hp V8 yanked from a Corvette Z06"

2016-cadillac-ctsv-sedan-009-970x548-c.j

Oh my.... but I will probably pass since no wagon variant... and will be a buttload more expensive.

I've got my eyes set on eventually getting a C7 Z06 instead.

#496 6er   Hoping "The Wall" has Gold doors CAGiversary!   2801 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:05 PM

Oh my.... but I will probably pass since no wagon variant... and will be a buttload more expensive.

That's what the 10 year car loans are for! :lol:

Saw on the news the average new car loan passed the 8 year mark this year. Yikes. Bankers love them some bubbles.

#497 bestkeeper14   Currently Playing Madden 16 CAGiversary!   4149 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

bestkeeper14

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:38 PM

Saw on the news the average new car loan passed the 8 year mark this year. Yikes. Bankers love them some bubbles.

yea, we only do 7 year max, and that is for cars newer than 2004....

#498 hpbbes   I typo'd my username CAGiversary!   1267 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:05 AM

The average is 8 years? That's insane.

#499 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   17207 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:25 PM

The average is 8 years? That's insane.

Jesus. If you need 8 years to pay off a loan, get a cheaper car. What is the avg rate on those loans.

#500 Zoglog   Nope CAGiversary!   6498 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

f'ing ridiculous if you ask me. If you need 8 years to pay off a car you're doing it wrong. Get a cheaper car. Though honestly living in LA, I see way too many people with overpriced cars out here ;)

I got a 3 year loan for my car and at  0.8%

#501 hpbbes   I typo'd my username CAGiversary!   1267 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

I guess if you can buy a crazy expensive car ($100k plus) with an 8-10 year note, your payments certainly become slightly more affordable. But just because you can make the payment doesn't mean you should buy the car.

#502 Nophix   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   14 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:49 PM

Man, I just bought a 2012 Jetta TDI and was nervous over the 2 year note. I can't imagine buying a car I would pay on as long as a small house!

#503 UnderFire  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:21 AM

Heres my current daily/ongoing project. It's a 97 4runner base model that I've built from the ground up, good to see other car guys on CAG biv6bVr.jpg

#504 Zoglog   Nope CAGiversary!   6498 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

Heres my current daily/ongoing project. It's a 97 4runner base model that I've built from the ground up, good to see other car guys on CAG biv6bVr.jpg

I hate to break it to you buddy but you ran over some kid's stuffed animal ;)

#505 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6860 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:29 PM

tl;dr Fuck YOU EXPRESSWAY TOYOTA!!!

So I accompanied my BIL to get a car on Friday to make sure that he doesn't get ripped off. We had already been given a quote for $21900 OTD on a 2015 Camry. All we needed to do was do a test drive, sign, and come back another day to pay the balance to pick up the car. He's 27-28, but he looks like he's 18 and some salesmen have been trying to pull some fast ones.

I took a look at the car and noticed some light scratches on the clearcoat that would need to be buffed out and immediately, I knew that I can't let any of the techs wash the car. I told the sales guy about me not wanting the car washed and he scoffed at the idea of letting the car drive out of lot without a wash. Dude said that he has them wash his car all the time and that it's always nice and shiny. :rofl: I bet his car is so fucking scratched up that he's seeing holograms. I tried to explain that this is one of my requests and that I'm VERY particular about my cars. He then says that any scratches would be covered by the warranty. At this point, my bullshit meter was pinging like crazy. Next thing I know, he's rubbing the scratch aka rubbing more dirt into the clearcoat and says, "Look! It's gone! It was just tape residue." I'm standing there still looking at the scratch with his finger trails that left more scratches. Motherfuck. I explain that wax will only cover it up temporarily and after a couple weeks, it'll reappear. Asshole snarkily tells me that if I know so much, how come they haven't hired me to detail all their cars and that no one has ever said anything like this to him in his 10+ years of selling cars. I tell him I'm happy to be the first.

We go inside to finalize the deal, which should've only taken 10 minutes since we already have a quote. Dude comes back after talking to the sales manager and says that it'll be another $225 for carpets. I'm like WTF? Guy says that it'll protect against mold and shit like that; this asshole is laying it down thick.

BIL is freezing and doesn't know what to do, so I step in and say that we came down because of the $21900 OTD quote. Blah blah blah and the sales manager comes over and says that he'll "split" the cost of the carpets. BIL still doesn't know what to do, but I'm thinking that he needs to make the decision because it's his $22k. I tell him this, look up the price of the mats, and then he decides to put down a non-refundable deposit.

The whole fam goes in yesterday morning to sign the rest of the paperwork and I tell the F&I guy that we don't want any dealer advertising on the car and that the car must be scratch and swirl-free. Dude says that it's not his department and we need to talk to the salesman. I run out and start arguing with the sales guy because he's giving me shit about it. Again, he says that he's been selling cars for x years and that no one has ever been so disrespectful to him. I told him that's because I know better than to blindly accept the bullshit coming out of his mouth. He grabs the sales manager and we get it in writing that the car won't be fucked.

Me and The Boss are sick of all the bullshit and the finance guy says that if we don't trust them to do this right, we can undo the deal and get the deposit back. We say fine and then he says that he can't do it today because the bean counters won't be in until Monday. He goes to grab the GM and he tells me to show him the issues with the car. He comes back at me with the same bullshit about tape residue and that it's either the car or the deposit. He even said that maybe he'll just keep the deposit and not sell us the car as it's within his rights because they've "worked too hard for this deal." I was hoping he'd go through with the threat because no court would let him keep $500 for stealing that money from us. Hell, even if we did decide to undo the deal, no court would give him the whole $500 and it'd cost him more to have a lawyer take care of this stuff.

Just went to do some spot checking on the car and the condition is no worse than when I first saw it, so I'm glad they didn't completely swirl up the paint or try to buff the scratches out. I can't wait to Fuck them in the survey and call up Toyota to tell them what a shitty experience it was.

I've shopped around a lot and I've only been insulted once: when I made my first offer ever. Other than that one time, it's been nothing but respect and it takes about 15 minutes to come to a deal. No stereotypical salesman bullshit.

#506 soulvengeance   Beating dead horses CAGiversary!   4229 Posts   Joined 18.9 Years Ago  

soulvengeance

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

Damn, just finished reading that wall of text.  That blows dohdough.  

#507 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4477 Posts   Joined 18.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:02 PM

"Worked too hard for this deal" - riiiight..

Sucks man, but makes for a good story :)

#508 6er   Hoping "The Wall" has Gold doors CAGiversary!   2801 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:04 PM

Wow, that sounded like more than a barrel of monkeys. Notice I left the word "fun" out.

#509 6er   Hoping "The Wall" has Gold doors CAGiversary!   2801 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:10 AM

What do you guys think of Ford going Turbo crazy? Really? An EcoBoost V6 GT?

A coworker and oval blue blood in his veins. Has a 2001 Mach 1 he bought new and it still with only a few thousand miles so far, a 65 Mustang, daily is an F150 and just bought a new Explorer last year.

They were trying to get him to get an EcoBoost for $1,000 more, and he refused because he has seen and heard so much bad about it.

The new EcoBoost Mustang is tuned for 93 octane, which isn't widely available anymore. You will lose 11% power on 87 according to recent dynos.(so, several percent at least on 91) That means on 87 you make less power than the standard V6 which calls for 87. Lol.

The new F150 4 cyl EB is getting horrible MPG across the car mag landscape. Motor Trend basically says that fact is what cost it the Truck of the Year award. Autobog said that three different editors failed to get more than 18 MPG on the highway, and its rated for 26.

Geez, Ford was on such a roll.

#510 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4477 Posts   Joined 18.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:40 AM

^^ I wish we had more 91 pumps here in New England. I've only found one gas station around me that has 91 and it's more expensive tha Hess 93.