PC Gaming Controller Help

shadow007

CAGiversary!
I heard that some PC games can be played with a gamepad or game controller. Can anyone recommend me any specific brand or any good controllers that are cheap?

A quick glossary of terms:

Xinput - Xbox 360 controllers are the only ones that support this natively. Most games are coded to use this for gamepads, meaning if you don't emulate this or have an Xbox 360 controller, you won't be able to use a gamepad with most games. (It can be emulated. See MotioninJoy and x360ce entries)

Directinput - All other controllers use this. Games won't work out of the box with these controllers.

MotioninJoy - Software that works as a driver/emulator for a PS3 controller with windows. Lets your P3 controller do Directinput, Xinput, or keystroke emulation.

x360ce - Converts directinput to Xinput through the use of profile setups.

xpadder - Converts diretinput into keystrokes, letting you use controllers on games that don't support xinput or directinput (such as minecraft).

Do you have an Xbox or PS3?

[I have an Xbox] If your controller is wired, plug it in and it should work. If it's wireless, you're going to need an Xbox controller wireless receiver. They're $20+ I believe. I think Amazon & Newegg sells them. This requires the least software tinkering with most games. Minecraft, etc. will still need xpadder.

[I have a PS3] Download MotioninJoy and hook up your PS3 controller with a mini-USB charging cable. If you have bluetooth support (or buy it) you can probably go wireless, otherwise the USB cable will work. See the glossary to better understand the awesome features of MotioninJoy. This is pretty easy to setup, as motioninjoy is all you need (no x360ce or xpadder).

[I have neither] PS3 and Xbox controllers are expensive. If you don't want to shell out for either, there are programs that can make third party controllers work with PC games. Power A Pro EX controllers from Toys R Us, for example, are very good. This will require a high degree of tinkering, as you're going to need the right driver and then x360ce and possibly xpadder on top of this.

My advice? Grab a PS3 controller and use it if you have one (least hassle, motioninjoy is easy). Use the Xbox 360 second (I hate xpadder setup). Get a third party if you don't own either, and be prepared to learn x360ce and xpadder. Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers too expensive compared to the $15-20 Power A Pro Ex.

A 360 gamepad is what you need. Wired works out of the box, just plug in and go. MS doesn't sell wireless receivers separately anymore, and they haven't for many years. DO NOT buy a 360 wireless receiver from eBay unless you're 100% certain it's genuine. The knockoffs do not work properly and will lead you to endless configuration nightmares, if you can even get them to work. Newegg fairly frequently has sales on the 360 gamepad w/ PC wireless receiver, though. I got mine for very cheap a bit over a year ago. If you're in no rush, just watch and grab one when it goes on sale.

Pretty much every modern game supports a 360 gamepad natively. If it doesn't, it's a fairly unique case. EVERY other gamepad requires some or all of the software mentioned above. None of it is necessary with a 360 gamepad for most of the games you're likely interested in.

Have fun =)

Will agree with everyone else, 360 gamepad. I love mine. I use the COD Blops controller (because it was $9.99 as a DOTD at Best Buy a few months ago). I had to mess around with drivers a bit to get it to work, but now it's perfect.

[quote name='darkling23']A 360 gamepad is what you need. Wired works out of the box, just plug in and go. MS doesn't sell wireless receivers separately anymore, and they haven't for many years. DO NOT buy a 360 wireless receiver from eBay unless you're 100% certain it's genuine. The knockoffs do not work properly and will lead you to endless configuration nightmares, if you can even get them to work. Newegg fairly frequently has sales on the 360 gamepad w/ PC wireless receiver, though. I got mine for very cheap a bit over a year ago. If you're in no rush, just watch and grab one when it goes on sale.

Pretty much every modern game supports a 360 gamepad natively. If it doesn't, it's a fairly unique case. EVERY other gamepad requires some or all of the software mentioned above. None of it is necessary with a 360 gamepad for most of the games you're likely interested in.

Have fun =)[/QUOTE]

this. i bought a chinese dongle off of ebay and it didnt work properly(it was from china). get the real thing for about $20 from amazon.

This is what you want.
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wire...48&sr=8-6&keywords=xbox+360+controller+dongle

Heey! There's one! When I was looking for one, I had no luck whatsoever. Then again, I had to find one that shipped to Canada. :)

bread's done
Back