PS3 slim noise issue

Donut2922

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Everytime I turn on my PS3 slim it starts making that loud humming noise the first couple of minutes. It goes from low to high to low to high and stops. I tried researching online and people say it's the fan being overworked. I didn't keep up with maintaining my system from dust over the years but after cleaning out the exterior dust, it still makes the loud noises at startup.

Is this a sign that my PS3 is doomed to a YLOD? Or is it nothing serious? I think I remember CAGs sharing that their systems would be loud as heck over time and nothing would happen to them. Sucks that I didn't have this until after the GS trade in bonus offer for hardware just expired. I'm seriously considering a trade in to upgrade to the new PS super slim models with Black Friday around the corner. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance.

It's not a YLOD.

It's the stupid Bluray drive not maintaining itself correctly.

The older slim models used to make popping noise after they were shut off, just the plastic expanding. Now the Bluray drive spazzes out and makes a lot of noise.

Remove the disc inside, unplug the machine, and try to squish the thing together. So hold it firmly and apply some pressure into the top, start from the sides and ignore the middle squishy section. It will eventually wear off and you'll have to do it again, it's super annoying. I wish I knew a permanent solution.

Thanks for the tips. What is the middle squishy section you're talking about? With a side view, it just looks like it has a top and bottom half split right in the middle where the casing meet together.

update: sounds like the fan noise issue went away. now I wonder whether it just took awhile for all the dust to clear out and now the fan is back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
look on the bottom/flip over the ps3 and check the four corners of the console, there should be 4 little rubber squares filling in four holes, and this is jsut the rubber "stands" so that the ps3 doesnt slide on whatever surface its on...if one of those little rubber pecies fell out or is missing, the ps3 will vibrate slightly. check it out

bread's done
Back