ps3 hdd Seagate Momentus XT 500gb $50

[quote name='retrad']Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 2.5" HDD at newegg for $49.99 after using a promo code EMCJJJF84

Its a really solid deal if you are looking to up your ps3 hdd, from reviews Ive read it is compatible with the ps3 and this is a hybrid drive that has a 4GB SSD cache on board.[/QUOTE]

thank you, But how can I install the HDD by myself to ps3 40gb system?

[quote name='evilpotatoguy']Good deal! I currently have one of these in my PS3.

[/QUOTE]

Did you notice any major speed increase vs. the stock 5400 rpm drive?

[quote name='bgame2']Don't they take 3.5" drives?[/QUOTE]

No, they take the laptop style.

Will this fit in any PS3? My brother has the old phat 80gb that I bought him about 4 yrs ago...a new HDD is on his Christmas list, and is love to get this, as I have no idea what else to get him right off the bat.

I have a 320gb Slim, so I'm not sure how a good a deal this is anyways. Don't DIY harddrives go for super cheap anyways?

[quote name='usrevenge']it depends, a 500gb HDD is in the $50-$70 dollar range anyway, this seems to be a decent deal imo.[/QUOTE]

HD prices spiked due to the flooding in Thailand (or somewhere) about a year ago. HD companies said there was a "supply" issue, hence the price increase. Of course, it seems odd that even though production has resumed, the prices still haven't fallen all much. And they posted record profits.

[quote name='Fabrizo']any 2.5" will fit in a PS3. I'd rather put a SSD in there for better load times.[/QUOTE]

I think most people need a lot of space in their PS3 due to game installs and that fact that it's a very versatile multimedia system. The speed would be nice, but large SSDs are still expensive (I think it costs somehwere around $400 for a 256GB SSD).

Wish Newegg had physical gift cards. I'd use them as payment like Amazon does. I sure could go for a new hard drive for my PS3. Also, need to track down at least 250 GB hard drive to back up my 160 GB PS3's hard drive to.

I've been needing a new HDD for my PS3 since PSN started giving out all these free games. I wanted a 750 but this is a pretty good price for a 500. Are there any 750s around this price at this size or is this a good deal? Haven't been following 2.5" HDDs much, just SSDs for my desktop.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Wish Newegg had physical gift cards. I'd use them as payment like Amazon does. I sure could go for a new hard drive for my PS3. Also, need to track down at least 250 GB hard drive to back up my 160 GB PS3's hard drive to.[/QUOTE]Why do you need a 260gb hd? Don't you have to redownload any games you get from the PS store?

[quote name='waldo21212']Did you notice any major speed increase vs. the stock 5400 rpm drive?[/QUOTE]

I feel like the system boots faster and games load slightly faster in general, but install times are the same as a 7200RPM drive.

It also depends on the games you play. Like according to tests done here, GT5 sees significant improvements, while Bioshock does not (older games, I know).

[quote name='Fabrizo']any 2.5" will fit in a PS3. I'd rather put a SSD in there for better load times.[/QUOTE]

It only helps for load times on certain games. I've only noticed a difference on Gran Turismo and Skyrim. Skyrim's load times are still ridiculous, but not as bad as with the stock 5400rpm drive. The PS3 only has a SATA I controller on it, which bottlenecks the speed gains from a SATA III SSD. That being said, it's enough of a difference for me to justify the cost.

An SSD did however resolve that god-aweful texture loading issue in RAGE though. Installs are generally much faster too. Woo hoo!

So tempted to pick one up, especially since I just jumped on the PS+ wagon. They are still going for $25-30 more on fleabay. Worst case, my macbook pro gets a faster drive.

[quote name='sharpeone']So tempted to pick one up, especially since I just jumped on the PS+ wagon. They are still going for $25-30 more on fleabay. Worst case, my macbook pro gets a faster drive.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I'm even contemplating buying two, to have one as extra storage for the Wii U...

[quote name='evilpotatoguy']Good deal! I currently have one of these in my PS3.
[/QUOTE]

Does it increase the heat on the PS3? My 40GB Phat isn't as great as it once was and fan has to work a little harder than it use to. Currently have a 250gb but PS+ is really forcing my hand to upgrade.

[quote name='Vinny']I think most people need a lot of space in their PS3 due to game installs and that fact that it's a very versatile multimedia system. The speed would be nice, but large SSDs are still expensive (I think it costs somehwere around $400 for a 256GB SSD).[/QUOTE]Most 256GB SSDs of reasonably quality (Crucial M4, Samsung PM830, plus others) have been routinely $170-$200 for 256GB version in the last 4-5 months. Sometimes cheaper.

SSDs might not make much more of a difference in a PS3 than a good solid 7200RPM drive, though this hybrid drive is the first generation version of the hybrid drive. The second generation one is a much better hybrid drive than the first generation one.

This would be a noticeable upgrade from the stock 5400RPM drive. I just dropped a 750GB WD Scorpio Black in my Slim PS3 and that's been a noticeable difference from the stock drive. It's also as cool or cooler than the stock Toshiba drive that was in there.

[quote name='shrike4242'] The second generation one is a much better hybrid drive than the first generation one.[/QUOTE]

well besides some probable small tweaks the only really noticeable difference I can tell is 4GB vs 8GB ssd cache. Since ps3 operates at sata 1.5 gbps having a sata 6.0 gbps would be pointless.

[quote name='UltimateIdiot911']Does it increase the heat on the PS3? My 40GB Phat isn't as great as it once was and fan has to work a little harder than it use to. Currently have a 250gb but PS+ is really forcing my hand to upgrade.[/QUOTE]
There will be a very slight increase but nothing to be concerned about.

[quote name='retrad']well besides some probable small tweaks the only really noticeable difference I can tell is 4GB vs 8GB ssd cache. Since ps3 operates at sata 3.0 gbps having a sata 6.0 gbps would be pointless.[/QUOTE]

It actually has less to do with the SSD cache and more to do with the updated hardware controller that allows it to be more efficient with using the cache. http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Harddrive is a pretty cool source for the PS3's HDD capabilities.

[quote name='TrumpetDan']Same here. I'm even contemplating buying two, to have one as extra storage for the Wii U...[/QUOTE]

Hmm, good point...Might be ordering a second one myself.

My wife said ok, so I ordered it. I don't do that much gaming these days, but I remember butting up against the capacity of the 60GB drive in my original PS3 on several occassions. This is less than MSRP of a single game (not that I ever pay MSRP) - that's how I convinced myself, anyway.

Edit: Free 2-day shipping with shoprunner. I think that is the first thing I ordered that qualified for the shoprunner I got almost a year ago. I may get this a day sooner than people who ordered with the normal free 3-day shipping (I may not).

[quote name='retrad']well besides some probable small tweaks the only really noticeable difference I can tell is 4GB vs 8GB ssd cache. Since ps3 operates at sata 1.5 gbps having a sata 6.0 gbps would be pointless.[/QUOTE]It's more than just the cache, they tweaked the caching algorithms and other items to make it a better drive.

Review comparison between the two drives:
http://techreport.com/review/22057/seagate-momentus-xt-750gb-hybrid-hard-drive

It also compares the 750GB Scorpio Black (I own three of them, fantastic drive) to this drive and more times than not, the Scorpio Black beats the 500GB Momentus XT.

[quote name='shrike4242']It's more than just the cache, they tweaked the caching algorithms and other items to make it a better drive.

Review comparison between the two drives:
http://techreport.com/review/22057/seagate-momentus-xt-750gb-hybrid-hard-drive

It also compares the 750GB Scorpio Black (I own three of them, fantastic drive) to this drive and more times than not, the Scorpio Black beats the 500GB Momentus XT.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link.

That, the fact that this is the 1st gen drive, and the many issues I've read about the newer Seagate drives (I've had many Seagate drives throughout the years in my PC's, but I have read that their quality has been on the decline) has help me decide to just hold off for a good deal on a WD Scorpio black drive.

Aghhhhh!!! Why can't it be $49.99 listed on newegg?! Than I could PM at Best Buy and buy it with the Krueig coffee maker I'm getting my parents, using my 3x RZ points coupon to get about $10 more in RZ certs..

[quote name='waldo21212']Thanks for the link.

That, the fact that this is the 1st gen drive, and the many issues I've read about the newer Seagate drives (I've had many Seagate drives throughout the years in my PC's, but I have read that their quality has been on the decline) has help me decide to just hold off for a good deal on a WD Scorpio black drive.[/QUOTE]500GB Scorpio Black is $68.83 on Amazon right now (lowest price has been $59.99, pre-2011 Thailand flood): http://www.amazon.com/Scorpio-Black-Cache-Mobile-WD5000BPKT/dp/B004LR1RPK/

750GB Scorpio Black is $83.99 on Amazon right now (lowest price has been $79.99, pre-2011 Thailand flood): http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Internal-2-5-Inch/dp/B004I9J5OG

Unless you got a crap ton of money you dont need I would never do this. SSD's have a limited number of reads/writes though they got a lot better about it.

Still the speed increase wouldn't be worth it I think, and from what I've seen your better off placing a SSD into a PC or laptop and you'll be much happier with it.

[quote name='jcp42877']Aghhhhh!!! Why can't it be $49.99 listed on newegg?! Than I could PM at Best Buy and buy it with the Krueig coffee maker I'm getting my parents, using my 3x RZ points coupon to get about $10 more in RZ certs..[/QUOTE]

You should try and PM it anyway. Though honestly good luck finding the same hard drive in best buy. Every few years their upgrade selection has been getting less and less. Hell I never seen them offer any current gen GPU's (in store) in the last 6 years.

[quote name='shrike4242']500GB Scorpio Black is $68.83 on Amazon right now (lowest price has been $59.99, pre-2011 Thailand flood): http://www.amazon.com/Scorpio-Black-Cache-Mobile-WD5000BPKT/dp/B004LR1RPK/

750GB Scorpio Black is $83.99 on Amazon right now (lowest price has been $79.99, pre-2011 Thailand flood): http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Internal-2-5-Inch/dp/B004I9J5OG[/QUOTE]

Hmm been waiting on upgrading my 320gb I installed a long time back on my PS3 to a 1TB, but took a long time to get one in the 9.5mm range. Surprised you didn't list this:
1TB Scorpio Blue $90.71 http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...UTF8&colid=40NE2SRA2MUH&coliid=I2Z2YXMY4W5QZL

Read that the games are made to run at 5400 RPM. The black edition has more RPM but less space. I'm down to less than 1GB left on my 320GB and i think for the life of the PS3 i might go space wise. Any hard drive will slow down when less then 30% free space. I think it depends on speed versus memory would be the deciding factor.

[quote name='Fire2box']You should try and PM it anyway. Though honestly good luck finding the same hard drive in best buy. Every few years their upgrade selection has been getting less and less. Hell I never seen them offer any current gen GPU's (in store) in the last 6 years.[/QUOTE]

Apparently they have the exact one available at my local BBY for $79.99...must be the newest model?

[quote name='jcp42877']Apparently they have the exact one available at my local BBY for $79.99...must be the newest model?[/QUOTE]
I honestly dont know if its new or not. But they certainly are trying to market it as new, though I don't think it's any ground breaking tech and it certainly wouldn't be nearly as fast as a SSD.

For computers anyhow.

Not a bad deal, but why not add another $40-50 and double the capacity? 1 TB can be had for less than $100.

That's what I did, and I'm very glad I did. In five months, I've burned through about 400 GB so far. The majority of that comes from free PS+ games, though I also have a large music collection on there (great for games which support custom soundtracks), a handful of movies, some TV shows, and Japanese lectures. In any case, I'd be banging my head against the wall in a few months if I'd gone 500 GB, but that's just me.

Might as well bite the bullet and never have to worry about running out of space again.

On a different note...
[quote name='Fire2box']Unless you got a crap ton of money you dont need I would never do this. SSD's have a limited number of reads/writes though they got a lot better about it. [/QUOTE]
The last time I remember looking into this (earlier this year when I bought one), the general consensus seemed to be that the read/write limitations are no longer an issue whatsoever.

I recently put one of these into my PS3 (at a cost of about $70).

Load times are a bit faster than the stock (40gb in my case), and were most notable for making Tekken 6 seem more playable.

[quote name='TrumpetDan']Same here. I'm even contemplating buying two, to have one as extra storage for the Wii U...[/QUOTE]

i thought the wii u only uses USB portable harddrives for extra storage....NOT 2.5" laptop harddrives

anyways, this is a tempting deal.....i loved how sony allowed the end user to swap in harddrives so that you werent raped up the asses with certain proprietary harddrives

too bad consumers didnt reward PS3 with more sales for this perk........i forsee sony selling PS4 with a proprietary storage solution like the vita

Great deal for a hard drive upgrade.

A PS3 can't make good use of a SSD due to SATA 1.5 Gbps and lack of TRIM support, so this is the next best thing. It's also suppose to run fairly cool for a 7200 RPM.

I would buy one if I didn't already upgrade to a 500GB hDD.

[quote name='cargo555']i thought the wii u only uses USB portable harddrives for extra storage....NOT 2.5" laptop harddrives
[/QUOTE]

You could always put it in an enclosure and turn it into a external HDD, it's not strictly compatible with laptops.

Nice! Now to decide where to buy it from Amazon or Newegg. Both charge tax in California. I don't have Prime, but I do have that Shoprunner 2 day shipping. Good find!

[quote name='Vinny']

I think most people need a lot of space in their PS3 due to game installs and that fact that it's a very versatile multimedia system. The speed would be nice, but large SSDs are still expensive (I think it costs somehwere around $400 for a 256GB SSD).[/QUOTE]

It isn't anywhere near 400 for 256gb. More like 150-170.

If you have a new PS3 slim, jsut remember you may need to format a USB stick to NTFS? i think. Because the newer PS3s do not have firmware stored on the motherboard so when you change the HDDs it can cause issues if you do not have a usb thumbdrive with the latest system update.

bread's done
Back