PS3 or 360? The Winner is Decided!

burritoman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
I'm probably going to be getting one of the holiday bundles this year, but which one?

I'm looking at the PS3 w/ Uncharted and Infamous bundle

or 360 w/Forza and Skyrim, possibly the 4GB Skylanders one.

They are in the same price range, and software is basically similar. The only PS3 exclusives I am interested in are Ratchet and Clank games. I don't play online much, so Xbox Live isn't a huge deal either. I dislike First Person Shooters, but play some. I mostly play RPGs and 3rd person action games like Tomb Raider, Ratchet and Clank, Hitman.

The part that I am stuck on is which one has a better and cheaper library.
I know either one or both could be going away in 2-4 years, and that's not a big deal. I play PS2 all the time now.

I'm just really unsure on which one would be a better investment, at this price point I don't know if either one is too much worse.

Thanks!

Update: I got the PS3 bundle and a couple games. When I got to Walmart last night around 7:30 the Xbox bundles were sold out, so I ended up being #4 in line for the PS3. I guess people here just hate the PS3 that much or love the Xbox that much more.

Thanks for the advice guys, it was helpful in comparing the consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own both, but if I had to make a decision to only keep one I'd pick PS3. It was the 2nd one I bought and I had a blast going back buying up all the older games I couldn't get on the Xbox like Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, the JRPGS like Valkyria Chronicles or the Atelier games.

If you already have a Blu Ray player and are not really interested in JRPGs, go for the Xbox 360.

Both have very solid libraries, and you can't really go wrong with either.

That's what I was thinking for the price point. Both have a lot of similar games, and there are a few platform specific games for each one.

I may end up picking while standing in line.

I'm just guessing for normal gaming w/o downloads or installs, the 4GB Xbox is gonna be fine.

The only reason to get a 360 over a PS3 at this point imo is if you have friends you want to play online with that have one or if you're a big fan of Halo/Gears. Otherwise, the PS3 is definitely the way to go - way more exclusives.

Let me start by saying I have both; my 360 is mainly used for the few exclusives I'm actually interested in (Gears, Forza, Halo). Mass Effect is now on the PS3 and there are very few other exclusives that I have any interest in. To be honest I put more hours in using the HBO GO app on my Xbox 360 then anything else. Unless something has changed the 360 has more users and you will most likely be able to find more games used and at a cheaper price. Keep in mind if you want to do anything online (even watch netflix) you will need a XBL Gold subscription. While MSRP is $59.99 you can typically pick these up for $35 if you're patient.

It doesn't have bluetooth (this comes into play when using the media remote---it's obnoxious it has to be pointed directly at the console) or blu-ray. The controllers are defaulted to run on AA batteries but you can get rechargeable packs for fairly cheap.

IMO the PS3 has a much wider exlcusive library. I am not going to get into a fanboy battle and say "better" but I think it offers much more.

The system itself has both bluetooth and a blu-ray player. Almost all games are going to be on just one discs (Versus multiples with quite a few 360 games). I liked the XMB navigation set-up better then whatever Xbox is currently doing but that might just be me.

If you can find a deal on PS+ you'll get a good ROI. Plenty of quality games are free each and every month (also decent discounts on other games and content) and as long as you keep your subscription you keep the games.

I think at this stage in the lifespan the PS3 offers more but if you're just going to casually game and are only interested in the R&C franchise (the fact that you made a point to say that is the only series that interests you makes me think you have already decided to go with the Xbox)----IMO there are at least 5 or 6 better Sony exclusives.... but again that's my opinion) I would suggest going with the Xbox.

Think what you'll be using it for most and which system is going to cost you more 1, 2 and 5 years from now.

I have both and highly prefer my xbox. Everything on the ps3 feels slow to me...menu screens, friend lists, trophies, also everytime you pop in a new game you wait 30 minutes to download and install it, same with updates with the system itself.

That xbox with forza and skyrim is a nice deal, skyrim is an awesome game and you'll actually be able to play and enjoy it on the xbox. Both systems have a good library and exclusives but unless you have to have certain jrpgs its no big deal. Xbox does have some nice exclusive jrpgs though like Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey.

I bought my ps3 because I felt like I was missing out on really good exclusives but the only two Im glad to have played were Demons Souls and Heavy Rain.

Also take your pic, but I feel the xbox controller is vastly superior, especially if you get the ones with the new d pad. You have to use batteries but its easy to do rechargeables. That ps3 charging cord is terrible if your controller starts to die while playing, unless you sit a foot from your system since its so short.

Im sure I sound like an xbox fanboy, but after owning both systems I just really prefer that one. PS3 is good if you do blu rays, but I didnt buy it for a movie experience. Either way good luck on black friday and enjoy whichever you choose.

I am still looking into it. Just went to Gamestop and a lot of the games are the same. I guess it comes down to whichever one I end up with. I think they're both good deals. I think the PS3 may have a slightly longer life span, but I'm not sure if it's a year or 3.

I plan on picking up older games anyways, such as Fallout, Marvel VS Capcom, Oblivion, War in the North among others.

Overall the PS3 bundle may be a better deal, 3 Uncharted games and 2 Infamous. I love Ratchet and Clank, probably the only game besides Metroid Prime that I play on a regular basis.

It may be easier and cheaper to find 360 games, so still not sure. Still p in the air on either one. I've cooled way off on the Wii U lately or it would be an easy decision.

In your situation I would go PS3.

Bluray player and the fact that you dislike FPS games. 360 is the best console at the moment strictly for online play (Live) and FPS games (controller is built to play FPS games) but the PS3 has a lot more single player offerings and much better content (imo). PS3 is the best value at the moment for someone wanting to jump into gaming.

I use my Xbox for most of my gaming needs because most of my friends are on it and I prefer the 360 controller, but the PS3 offers the most bang for your buck. You are getting a blu-ray player, 500gb hdd and free online play. It truly is the superior package with a larger library of exclusive games. Unless you are a fan of a particular Xbox franchise (which i am) or have a need to play Skyrim and it's DLC content, you would be hard pressed to pick the 360 over the PS3.

The quality exclusives left on the Xbox 360 are basically Halo, Gears of War, Fable, and Forza. If you don't like first person shooters (half the exclusives are FPS) and you play online play sporadically (Xbox 360 multiplayer costs), then it's a pretty easy choice to make, PS3.

Demon's Souls (old difficulty action RPG with modern combat mechanics)
Uncharted series (as close to playing a good Indiana Jones-esque blockbuster as you are ever going to get)
God of War series (combo-beat-em up in the vein of Devil May Cry)
Heavy Rain (serial killer murder mystery)
Infamous series (gritty open world super hero game)
Ratchet and Clank (witty platformer with lots and lots of guns)
Shadow of the Colossus HD
Valkyrie Chronicles (strategy RPG)

There are also quite a few quality PSN downloadable titles.

Now that I look over that list of exclusives I can see why I lean more toward the PS3, I play more single player games and occasionally multiplayer. Whereas most of the Xbox 360 exclusives the draw is multiplayer.

For the most part generally the
price of multi-platform games is the same. The other criteria is which system (if any) your offline friends have and which system they prefer to play games on. That would probably have the most sway. If you have no offline friends who play either system then it isn't a factor.

I only play online multiplayer sporadically so the PS3 works fine for me. There really isn't much difference in the actual online playing performance of the game, it's the interface in keeping connected between people on your friends list, cross-game chat, etc. which is superior on the Xbox 360.

The PS3 has the more reliable hardware and free online play (as well as the Sony exclusives) but the 360 has a better interface, online play, and some of its own worthwhile exclusives. Overall I wouldn't want to live with just one or the other.

[quote name='Rozz']The PS3 has the more reliable hardware...[/QUOTE]

I really don't think this applies any longer unless you are buying a first run, 5 year old 360.

In fact, my first PS3 had a YLOD out of the box while both my fat and slim 360 consoles have never RROD once.

[quote name='antlp89']I really don't think this applies any longer unless you are buying a first run, 5 year old 360.

In fact, my first PS3 had a YLOD out of the box while both my fat and slim 360 consoles have never RROD once.[/QUOTE]

In my experience the slim PS3s are very reliable. Mine has been running like a champ since 2009 while I've had to replace the various 360 models more than once. Also, the 360 controller sticks tend to break or other issues come up (such as ghost walking after putting in a few months of use on them) while I never have had any issues with the PS3 controllers.

I have both and I agree it's a tough decision. For the most part they are equal, but the reason I would go with the XBOX is because I hate the updates that PS3 has to do. Some (not all) games take 30-minutes to download content into the PS3 and I seriously hate it when that happens.

My opinion on this is that if I could compare these consoles to restaurants it would go as follows

PS3 is like a restaurant you hear about in a newspaper review. A refined taste that might take some getting used to, you might hate it right off the bat, or you might love it. In this restaurant you'll find dishes you're used to but also dishes you've never even heard of before, a new taste. Variety is key in this restaurant but with that being said, quality is mediocre.

And XBOX360 is like your local diner. You know everything on the menu, you know what you love and you might find something fresh and new once in awhile but most of the time you won't be surprised but quality is key and if you know what you want I suppose this is the way to go.

I'm personally a PS3 gamer! and Nintendo Wii is your chuckie cheese, bring the fam.

Update: I got the PS3 bundle and a couple games. When I got to Walmart last night around 7:30 the Xbox bundles were sold out, so I ended up being #4 in line for the PS3. I guess people here just hate the PS3 that much or love the Xbox that much more.

Thanks for the advice guys, it was helpful in comparing the consoles.

bread's done
Back