CAGcast #304: Skum Baggins

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Shipwreck learns something about Metacritic, Wombat is tired of being the bad guy, and CheapyD is misunderstood, again.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]213[/podcast]
Download - 1 hour 23 minutes Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

www.GoDaddy.com
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: One More Time (Daft Punk) - One to Grow On

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very curious to see what the title is about.

I have been playing Lego Lord of the Rings and it is pretty good. I haven't watched the movies recently and the original voices and the music are bringing that all back and making me want to go watch them again soon.

That Lego Batman game Cheapy and Wombat raved about doesn't interest me all that much (because I'm not into the characters) but I couldn't pass on Lego LOTR - preordered it even.

Will listen to the CAGcast now...

Wombat: I saw Wreck-It Ralph a few days ago too. My not-quite-5 year-old (his birthday is on Black Friday!) started getting a little restless about 2/3 the way through so I understand what you went through. He was getting "climby" too (I think that's what you said). Fortunately we were in the row with the bar in front so him getting up and down and kicking the bar didn't bother anyone. I had to pull him back into his seat 5 or 6 times and tell him to cool it though. And yet he really loved the movie and asked me as soon as we left when "we could get it" (meaning on DVD).

Everytime you guys say "polygon" I get confused for a second because you guys are the only ones I've heard mention that site and polygon is a bad name. It's like calling a home repair magazine "Brick."

BTW wasn't LA Noire a Rockstar game? You're a "good guy" in it.

So, Walmart deals vs. Amazon possibly price matching...

Yeah, Cheapy, I would much prefer to order these games (in particular X-COM) from Amazon. The problem is, will we know before 8pm Thursday if Amazon will match these prices? If we have to wait until Friday to see if Amazon matches, it will be too late to get the games at Walmart.

I know this is not the case for most people, but for me Walmart is just not convenient. I have to drive kind of far and dealing with the normal crowds at Walmart is something I dislike. I can only imagine what it will be like on Thursday night.

Wow, I had wondered if people were going to get on Cheapy for his comments from last week. I feel he has really been influenced by Howard Stern's work, and so I figured he was mostly just joking. Howard has that same sort of rough humor sometimes with his co-host when they talk about their personal lives. Though at the end of the day you know he does care about them and loves working with them. That's his thing. His and Cheapy's! :)

Bend studio is the main AAA games company for Vita right now, some others aren't bad, but no where near what Bend does with handheld games. At least for the US/Europe.

Sleeping Dogs is a good open-world game where you play as a cop, though it does consist of a lot of violence when you are not doing cop missions. You can choose not to be super violent though it makes it a little tougher sometime.

Was drinking coffe when cheapy said to wombat "How come she couldn't get her shit together". Almost coughed it all over my laptop. Cheapy = compassion.

Shipwreck was wrong. Garcia died in 2011 so Buckner & Garcia did not sing the Wreck-It-Ralph song but it was Buckner and Jamie Houston.

Also Fun Fact: my walmart is calling black Friday, "blitz Friday" because the name black Friday is offense.

[quote name='ILikePopCans']Shipwreck was wrong. Garcia died in 2011 so Buckner & Garcia did not sing the Wreck-It-Ralph song but it was Buckner and Jamie Houston.

[/QUOTE]

Alert the official soundtrack which credits the song to Buckner & Garcia! Get Walt Disney on the horn and get this corrected.

Move is a failure because theres no games to play? So the Kinect is a failure too, because theres no interest there despite the past claims of it being a success due to its sales numbers.And that was when the numbers were lower than what Move currently sold.

I just dont get the arguments sometimes, and the Blops vs Halo is a good example too. The multiplayer in Halo is like Call of Duty, but its better because....why exactly Cheapy? You didnt actually give a reason. And the campaign for both? Ship conveniently had to have Cheapy bring up its lame story while having that as a knock against Blops. And Halo is a better game because it looks better and has some open areas in its still funneled gameplay. Come on now. Ypu wonder why you guys are labeled as xbox biased?

[quote name='4thHorseman']Move is a failure because theres no games to play? So the Kinect is a failure too, because theres no interest there despite the past claims of it being a success due to its sales numbers.And that was when the numbers were lower than what Move currently sold.

I just dont get the arguments sometimes, and the Blops vs Halo is a good example too. The multiplayer in Halo is like Call of Duty, but its better because....why exactly Cheapy? You didnt actually give a reason. And the campaign for both? Ship conveniently had to have Cheapy bring up its lame story while having that as a knock against Blops. And Halo is a better game because it looks better and has some open areas in its still funneled gameplay. Come on now. Ypu wonder why you guys are labeled as xbox biased?[/QUOTE]

Yes, "convenient". I'm tired of arguing this crap. Cheapy's playing Black Ops 2 on the PC and I'm playing it on the 360 and somehow us preferring Halo is Xbox bias. Makes perfect sense. Also by that logic, Playstation Move is well supported by Sony and has an equal if not greater mindshare as Kinect in the general populous.

I explained why I prefer Halo's structure better than Black Ops in the show.

There was a unspoken "financial" reason why the new Spiderman was made.

Keeping it real brief, if Sony/Columbia didn't reuse the license again in a certain period of time, the film rights would be reverted back to Marvel, in which they can use the character again in whatever they wanted.

It's why some critics perceived the film as soulless since they believed the film was a "by-the-numbers" job made purely for monetary support.

This is also what people are worried about when it comes to the Avengers because while it's still possible for him to appear in a sequel. Most of the rest of the Marvel universe is owned by Disney now so there will be some slight legal hurdles. But who knows what's going to happen in a few years from now.

[quote name='ThomasTruong']There was a unspoken "financial" reason why the new Spiderman was made.

Keeping it real brief, if Sony/Columbia didn't reuse the license again in a certain period of time, the film rights would be reverted back to Marvel, in which they can use the character again in whatever they wanted.[/QUOTE]
That explains why the movie had to be made. Doesn't explain why they had to do the origin... again. When I saw the trailer at the movies, there was a collective groan from the audience when they saw it was the origin again. Should've just started us off on a new Spider-Man adventure.

[quote name='ThomasTruong']There was a unspoken "financial" reason why the new Spiderman was made.

Keeping it real brief, if Sony/Columbia didn't reuse the license again in a certain period of time, the film rights would be reverted back to Marvel, in which they can use the character again in whatever they wanted.

It's why some critics perceived the film as soulless since they believed the film was a "by-the-numbers" job made purely for monetary support.

This is also what people are worried about when it comes to the Avengers because while it's still possible for him to appear in a sequel. Most of the rest of the Marvel universe is owned by Disney now so there will be some slight legal hurdles. But who knows what's going to happen in a few years from now.[/QUOTE]

This is also the reason X-Men Destiny was demanded by Activision to be put out by Silicon Knights no matter the shape, and why there's a new Fantastic Four movie and X-Men First Class movie/sequel by Fox.

Also, nice to see CAG getting some nice linkage/credit by the gaming press in the last two days, even Kotaku! :)

I can sympathize, Wombat, my wife is kind of a wimp, too. At my place in BK, we've had some lingering issues from the storm, though the resolution weighs more on our landlord than on the local utilities or government. It can be frustrating when your SO can't deal with stress well.

[quote name='PMAN7103']I love how Wombat pretty much gave a synopsis of LA Noire and the light bulb never went off in his head.[/QUOTE]

I should have been more clear and said a GTA game, not a Rockstar game. Also I have never played LA Noir.

[quote name='banodyne']That explains why the movie had to be made. Doesn't explain why they had to do the origin... again. When I saw the trailer at the movies, there was a collective groan from the audience when they saw it was the origin again. Should've just started us off on a new Spider-Man adventure.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's true, and I totally agree it should've been a new adventure.

For the origin reason, it's beause everyone tied to Spiderman 3 were asking for a lot more money to stay on board and the studio felt more damage would've been done to recast everyone in the same canon; over simply taking the easy way out and starting over again where they could keep control of the director, writer, and direction of this new "storyline".

This ties into the fact that past director Sami Raimi was heavily urging to have more control over the potential Spiderman 4 than he was allowed with the prior films, which (imo) did become a lot more disjointed with 2 and 3.

Since the last film came out 5 years ago as well, they didn't think the "fanbase" and backbone they've built up was worth latching on to. Although that certainly hasn't stopped other films.

So in other words, Sony's being Sony.

Great show as always. Thanks to Cheapy, Wombat and Ship. :applause:

This is also what people are worried about when it comes to the Avengers because while it's still possible for him to appear in a sequel. Most of the rest of the Marvel universe is owned by Disney now so there will be some slight legal hurdles. But who knows what's going to happen in a few years from now.[/QUOTE]

Fox has a similar deal with the Xmen I believe. That one actually turned out ok though since First Class was surprisingly decent.

[quote name='banodyne']That explains why the movie had to be made. Doesn't explain why they had to do the origin... again. When I saw the trailer at the movies, there was a collective groan from the audience when they saw it was the origin again. Should've just started us off on a new Spider-Man adventure.[/QUOTE]

It makes sense that they'd want to change everything up since it's a new cast and director, and it seems there are plans for an ongoing arc to the new Spidey movies. So from that perspective it kind of makes sense.

But it was a drag having to watch the origin again, they should have compressed that. That time could have been used to strengthen the Gwen/Peter relationship, which felt really rushed.

@Shipwreck
For today only, make a post that irks me on the new CAGcast show thread and get a free sarcastic reply.

Challenge...Mike Brown is the best thing to happen to Cincinnati since someone decided to put chocolate in chilli.

Cheapy:

Suggestion for the prize wheel: A guest appearance on CAGcast! Personally, I would take that option in a heartbeat over a $100 Amazon gift card; however, a $300 Amazon card might be too much to resist. I'd have to ponder on that one. Anyway, great show--as always--I think that's 'nuff said.

PS: @ Tronny: The same could be said for Cleveland.

Show Notes

03:30 Show Feedback
08:15 Watch This: Amazing Spider-Man
11:15 Wreck-It Ralph
15:15 New Releases
15:30 CoD: Black Ops 2
31:00 Lego Lord of the Rings
34:00 Wonderbook: Book of Spells
35:00 Paper Mario Sticker Star
38:00 Shopping News
42:30 Assassin's Creed III
44:30 Tom Hardy as Sam Fisher in Splinter Cell movie
48:15 Metacritic/Gamespot review
56:00 Forza Horizon
56:30 Halo 4
1:03:15 Xbox Live 10 year anniversary
1:06:00 Cagbag: PS Vita additions to PS+
1:07:30 Best Thanksgiving deals
1:12:45 Jeff Rubenstein leaving Sony
1:18:15 WiiU excitement and lack thereof
1:22:00 Achievements
1:22:30 Nintendo network?
1:23:00 GTA V trailer
1:24:45 Vita or 3DS?
1:27:00 Best selling holiday game
1:28:15 Update game pc to Win8?

had to skip through the movie and BLOPS2 talk. i will relisten after i experienced them.

[quote name='shipwreck']Yes, "convenient". I'm tired of arguing this crap. Cheapy's playing Black Ops 2 on the PC and I'm playing it on the 360 and somehow us preferring Halo is Xbox bias. Makes perfect sense. Also by that logic, Playstation Move is well supported by Sony and has an equal if not greater mindshare as Kinect in the general populous. [/Quote]

No, being biased is saying product A is flawed because of one thing, and although Product B has the same flaw, is overlooked and ultimately dismissed as a moot criticism when brought up. And please explain how contradicting your own statements is logical, because thats exactly what happened with the Move talk. Kinect = success because of sales. That was as far as you guys went about why it was a success, because if the mindshare mattered, it would be considered a failure as has been stated by disappointment from it damn near everywhere. But Move? Sales dont matter. Nope, its a failure because of games. Logical indeed.

Both are horrible add ons, but dont hold different standards to them when they seek similar audiences.

[quote name='CheapyD']We should have the Amazon deals on Monday.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks! I'm really hoping I can avoid having to go out at all Thurs/Fri.

Wombat - I played more of Lego LOTR after I listened to the CAGcast. You are in for a treat. There are some awesome set piece levels coming up. For example,
you get to fight the Balrog as Gandalf after falling from the Bridge of Khazad Dum
. Also, I'm not sure if this is a new thing or if they had this in Lego Batman 2, but there are now quests you get from random NPCs as well as a huge collection of items you can craft using the (mythril) bricks you earn from completing levels and such. These items can be worn and used by characters to give them powers that in older games only certain characters would have.

[quote name='4thHorseman']No, being biased is saying product A is flawed because of one thing, and although Product B has the same flaw, is overlooked and ultimately dismissed as a moot criticism when brought up. And please explain how contradicting your own statements is logical, because thats exactly what happened with the Move talk. Kinect = success because of sales. That was as far as you guys went about why it was a success, because if the mindshare mattered, it would be considered a failure as has been stated by disappointment from it damn near everywhere. But Move? Sales dont matter. Nope, its a failure because of games. Logical indeed.

Both are horrible add ons, but dont hold different standards to them when they seek similar audiences.[/QUOTE]

http://imageshack.us

$200 for a Vita isn't bad, but then I'll want to buy a bigger memory card - a 4 GB card is nothing when you consider how big the game files can get. I'd take advantage of the PS+ games, so I'd have to upgrade to a bigger card.

I thought Wreck-It Ralph was merely okay. The first half has tons a great references, but the second half focused too heavily on Sarah Silverman's character for my taste. I never cared for her humor.

So I listened to the CAGcast. When you said you would "Nazi us next week", is that influenced by all the killing of the Africans in Blops 2? Just askin'. Also, will the sequel have lots of white people killed?

Also, I had no idea what a Beard Papa was. Turns out there's one in Chicago. Do people find lots of beard hair in their pastries?

Good show guys. Just listened to the latest Rebel FM. They gave cheapassgamer.com a shout out for info on gaming deals and the community.

I'd love to even just hear Shipwreck calling in live from Wal-Mart as a show next week. I'm shocked that his store in Cincinnati is a dead-zone on Black Friday. I live in Oro Valley, AZ just north of Tucson, and my store was shoulder-to-shoulder full of people in every aisle. Maybe I'm overestimating the size of Cincinnati though.

As for the Wii-U not having any kind of achievements/trophies, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I know the argument that achievements/trophies mean nothing but for certain titles like the LEGO games, they're a reason to complete everything in the game. I find that I keep games longer when I have more than just the main story to complete. I'm hoping they get added in post-launch like the PS3.

I don't get all the hate on CheapyD on shows where he rips into Wombat. 99% of the time he's joking. If you can't tell after 300 episodes what are you even listening too?

I understand where wombats coming from with GTA 5 but i think you will find the characters in GTA will be more light hearted than GTA4 which will make the killing and exploring more enjoyable. Also you should probaly check out LA Noire.

I won't be able to listen to the show this week - can someone tell me if there's going to be a 12am CAG call-in thing like there was last year?

The Spider-Man reboot would have been solid if not for Garfield. He's the worst Peter Parker ever . . .worse than Hammond, even slightly worse than Italian Spider-Man.

bread's done
Back