- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 3/26: Huge Square Enix Game/DLC, THQ, PixelJunk, and Worms Sales!

#2281 cancerman1120   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10986 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

cancerman1120

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

You would have to import a physical copy.

Yeah you can get it through Amazon for like $20. Figure I could resell it then after playing.

#2282 LouieT  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Chronovolt is going to be the next game made free for PS+ members next week.
link to article - last question:

When can we expect to see the game here in the US?

The game and the first DLC will be available in the US in the 31st of December. The game will be free for PS+ subscribers.

Expiring for PS+ Next Week:
Games
BioShock 2
Bloodrayne Betrayal
Jet Set Radio - Vita

That was a typo on the blog. Bloodrayne Betrayal already left the free section weeks ago.

#2283 johnnypark   Farewell My Viking! CAGiversary!   3391 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Having just the opposite problem. I'm sick of missing out on good sale prices because I can't purchase games that have been part of the IGC in the past. Last week LBP2 and now the Simpsons arcade game -- and they're not the first.

It's to the point where I hesitate to download anything from the IGC now. I'd rather own a game for a good price than borrow it until my subscription lapses. I *want* to give them my money and Sony won't allow it. Bizarre...

Not ideal but you could make a second PSN ID just for those purchases, have them on your system but play them on your primary. Trophies, saves, etc will all still be attached to the primary.

Wouldn't work for Vita but for PS3 content it'd be a simple way to work around this (very absurd) problem of Sony not wanting your money. I do it with my Euro account and it works just fine.

#2284 chuckie88   Molder of Minds CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Welcome. I recognize you from being a really cool guy in the XBLA thread. Hope to see you here once in a while, in my humble opinion, Sony has been taking MS to school on the digital front as of recently. So you'll run into lots of great deals here.

Thanks, it's nice to see a few familiar friendly faces here as well. I agree that Sony has been giving Microsoft the business as of late. As you may recall, my big draw for XBL Gold was the ability to watch all ESPN content. When that was neutered 4 months ago, it gave me no reason to renew my subscription. PS+ on the other hand has been an outstanding value for me as I've only had my PS3 for just under a year and so far have only played a few of the free games prior to them being offered. I look forward to continuing to increase my PS3 playing!:D

Assuming I'm a former PS+ subscriber (it lapsed about a month ago and I haven't renewed yet), anyone know if I'll have the same issues with purchasing discounted games now that were previously free?

I believe that you can only freely download titles that are currently listed as such. If the game has expired from the list and is no longer free you will have to pay for it. By that I mean that you will not be able to freely download a title that both arrived on and left from the free games list while your PS+ was not active. At least I think that's how it works anyway, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by chuckie88, 25 December 2012 - 09:48 PM.
Removed inquiry for a thread I ended up finding.

#2285 PimpLimp   Pimpin Aint Easy CAGiversary!   1671 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

PimpLimp

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Haha I fucking knew it! I called this a couple weeks ago. I guess this is what's getting rotated in the Vita IGC when Jet Set Radio leaves.

#2286 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30712 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Is Quest for Booty worth $7.49? Better to try and find a physical copy?

Also, no trophies, if that sort of thing bugs you.

link to article - last question:

That was a typo on the blog. Bloodrayne Betrayal already left the free section weeks ago.

Sweet! A day one game! Was expecting this to come out eventually, Joystiq had mentioned that more than likely US PS+ would be getting it for free. Wonder if we'll get 2 games since 2 are expiring.

#2287 LibertyGeis   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   34 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

LibertyGeis

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Not ideal but you could make a second PSN ID just for those purchases, have them on your system but play them on your primary. Trophies, saves, etc will all still be attached to the primary.

Except that doesn't work for Plus discounts. You'd have to pay for Plus a second time on the second account to get (for instance) the Simpsons $5 discount this week. For non-Plus sales, yeah, it works... but that's an unwieldy solution that only addresses about half the problem.

#2288 aaf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   122 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

also I think we should have a free PS3 game to replace bioshock 2. unless Chronovolt has a PS3 version

#2289 espy   Original Transported Man CAGiversary!   2817 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

I believe that you can only freely download titles that are currently listed as such. If the game has expired from the list and is no longer free you will have to pay for it. By that I mean that you will not be able to freely download a title that both arrived on and left from the free games list while your PS+ was not active. At least I think that's how it works anyway, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

You guys are actually talking about two separate things.

1. Games that you got "free" during PS+ are games that you added to your cart and completed check out with. So even if it was free during your membership, if you never checked out with it, and it leaves the Instant Game Collection, you lost out on it. So obviously games during a membership lapse you never had the opportunity to checkout with, are games you won't get free.

2. The original question is if games you got "free", if you could purchase them for keeps (not just active during your PS+ membership) once your membership lapsed. I THINK the answer is no. Once you've checked out with a free PS+ game, it can only be active with a renewed subscription, you're not allowed to actually buy it. I'm unfamiliar with this subject though but someone else chime in if you know.

#2290 Kazuya   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

Got my eye on Metal Gear Solid Collection for Vita at the PS+ price, but I've heard you can't play it with a 4GB card even if it's completely empty? Can anyone confirm?

#2291 Ubichu   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   183 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

When will Retro/Grade go on sale for $4.90 for PS+? The PS Blog site said the game updates are on 12/24 and 12/31, and it didn't happen today, so does that mean it will happen on 12/31 (or will it actually not happen until Tuesday 1/1)?

1. Games that you got "free" during PS+ are games that you added to your cart and completed check out with. So even if it was free during your membership, if you never checked out with it, and it leaves the Instant Game Collection, you lost out on it. So obviously games during a membership lapse you never had the opportunity to checkout with, are games you won't get free.

Is it true that if a PS+ free game is removed from the PS Store and no longer free, but if you checked out with it, you can still download and play the full game as long as you have PS+? I always thought you had to play them before they were withdrawn as free even if you already got them in your account.

#2292 Blabadon   I just like video games CAGiversary!   2276 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

So I got MGS HD Collection as my consolation prize for missing out on LBP Vita. Feels like I'm in for a hell of a ride.

#2293 Yars   I'd buy that for a dollar! CAGiversary!   2900 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Got my eye on Metal Gear Solid Collection for Vita at the PS+ price, but I've heard you can't play it with a 4GB card even if it's completely empty? Can anyone confirm?

I've also seen numerous posts stating that the game won't work with a 4GB card. It appears that the collection is roughly 3.4GB. Assuming that Vita games need to be installed like PS3 digital games do, then you'd need even more space to unpack the downloaded file.

#2294 Strange   Little Blimp CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

When will Retro/Grade go on sale for $4.90 for PS+? The PS Blog site said the game updates are on 12/24 and 12/31, and it didn't happen today, so does that mean it will happen on 12/31 (or will it actually not happen until Tuesday 1/1)?

It was on sale last week.

Is it true that if a PS+ free game is removed from the PS Store and no longer free, but if you checked out with it, you can still download and play the full game as long as you have PS+? I always thought you had to play them before they were withdrawn as free even if you already got them in your account.

That is true. As long as you add the free games to your download list, you can play them as long as your PlayStation Plus subscription is active.

#2295 TheLongshot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2495 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

TheLongshot

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

2. The original question is if games you got "free", if you could purchase them for keeps (not just active during your PS+ membership) once your membership lapsed. I THINK the answer is no. Once you've checked out with a free PS+ game, it can only be active with a renewed subscription, you're not allowed to actually buy it. I'm unfamiliar with this subject though but someone else chime in if you know.

I would assume you could buy them after your account expires, because the system acts like you never bought them.

Personally, I scratch my head at those who want to buy games they already got for free with PS+, particularly when there isn't a huge amount of value in digital ownership that can be wiped out just like that.

#2296 chuckie88   Molder of Minds CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

You guys are actually talking about two separate things...

...Personally, I scratch my head at those who want to buy games they already got for free with PS+, particularly when there isn't a huge amount of value in digital ownership that can be wiped out just like that.

My mistake, I didn't realize that this was what the question was about. I also wonder about buying a game that was already obtained for free. In some cases it might even make more financial sense to just buy one month of PS+ to play the game you already got for free.

#2297 gkrykewy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1246 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

Chronovolt looks like a total dog from reviews.

#2298 exopuppy   I'll wait CAGiversary!   92 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

exopuppy

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

1. This is true

2. This is also true, in my experience, but it is not intentional. I attempted to purchase the Walking Dead season pass after having downloaded eps 1 & 2 free, and then letting my subscription lapse. It worked fine while the sub was active, but after lapsing and resubscribing the system treated me like I had not purchased anything. After going through customer support the conclusion was that this is a known glitch: games received free through PS+ do not properly "release" their license and thus cannot be purchased for money. (clarification: You can give them money. You won't get the game though.) Surely they are working to fix this.

#2299 LurkerLito   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   90 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

LurkerLito

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:02 AM

Personally, I scratch my head at those who want to buy games they already got for free with PS+, particularly when there isn't a huge amount of value in digital ownership that can be wiped out just like that.

Well for me it's not about the value of a digital ownership, it's a value of the game I want to play. For example, say I really love a game that I play often that I got for free on PS+. I value the ability to play the game when I want to play it. If my PS+ membership lapses let's just say because I don't have time to really use the PS+ IGC stuff anymore, then it would be better for me to just let my membership lapse and buy that game I got for free. But as the system is now, I can't, so either I have to keep a rather useless $50/year subscription around, or I have to give up playing that game because I can't even buy it. This is especially complicated for Vita owners IMHO because you can't just make a secondary account to buy the game since the Vita only lets you have 1 user per device.

Personally I can't understand why this isn't a simple fix for Sony. The license is just a simple file on the HD. All they have to do when you actually buy a game is overwrite the current license file. The most they have to do is check if your already have a PS+ license for the game being purchased, and put up a warning note that the game is already on your list and purchasing it will update the license from a PS+ IGC license to a regular purchased license.

#2300 GodOfUncharted   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   656 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

GodOfUncharted

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

Hopefully the headliner of week 3 is Sound Shapes. That would be phenomenal.

#2301 depascal22   Daddy Fat Sacks CAGiversary!   10195 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

Why not just start a secondary account, buy whatever you want on that account, and play them on your primary?

#2302 Kazuya   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

I've also seen numerous posts stating that the game won't work with a 4GB card. It appears that the collection is roughly 3.4GB. Assuming that Vita games need to be installed like PS3 digital games do, then you'd need even more space to unpack the downloaded file.

That's what I'm seeing too. If so, it's borderline criminal for Sony to not make this known on the Metal Gear Solid HD download page. I don't have any problem with needing to buy a bigger memory card to play larger games. But I think it's natural to expect that you could download and play a 3.3GB game on to a 4GB card unless Sony gave you a heads up somewhere.

#2303 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   71073 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

Personally I can't understand why this isn't a simple fix for Sony. The license is just a simple file on the HD. All they have to do when you actually buy a game is overwrite the current license file. The most they have to do is check if your already have a PS+ license for the game being purchased, and put up a warning note that the game is already on your list and purchasing it will update the license from a PS+ IGC license to a regular purchased license.

It's probably because it isn't as simple as you think it is. I don't think the account system differentiates the two versions of ownership like you and others do. You basically own the game in both circumstances as far as its concerned, so you're asking for a way to disown a game you already "own" so that you can purchase it for a slightly different form of ownership. I don't know of any digital marketplace that lets you disown a product that you've purchased.

I'd imagine that you could see that happen if they ever figure out a way to implement a used digital games marketplace on PSN to sell/trade licenses, which would basically allow for the conversion from PS+ ownership to normal ownership with it.

#2304 LibertyGeis   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   34 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

LibertyGeis

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:37 AM

So, as an aside, is there anyone who has installed Two Worlds II Velvet GOTY who wouldn't mind testing something? I picked the game up for $5 but don't have room to install it yet, but on the Playstation forum there's a thread claiming the Defense DLC that is included is incompatible (they're saying it's the EU version or something that won't work with the US base game). Has anyone here had trouble accessing it?

If there's no one able to test this, this weekend I'll delete a couple things to download it and report back.

#2305 jay_remedy   Mila Kunis > Banned   6791 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

jay_remedy

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:40 AM

Sony probably didn't implement the feature because they didn't think people would want to pay money for something they have for free. They probably have yet to implement it because the amount of money they would get from doing so is less than how much it would cost to do so, or it's less than the potential profit they could make by putting those resources to use elsewhere.

#2306 roundhouse   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   487 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:10 AM

So, as an aside, is there anyone who has installed Two Worlds II Velvet GOTY who wouldn't mind testing something? I picked the game up for $5 but don't have room to install it yet, but on the Playstation forum there's a thread claiming the Defense DLC that is included is incompatible (they're saying it's the EU version or something that won't work with the US base game). Has anyone here had trouble accessing it?

If there's no one able to test this, this weekend I'll delete a couple things to download it and report back.

Yea I looked all over the multiplayer menus where Defense mode is supposed to be and I don't see any way of playing it. Unless it is part of your Village, but I can't buy one because it costs 10,000 auras.

#2307 admiralvic   大将 CAGiversary!   6469 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

Well for me it's not about the value of a digital ownership, it's a value of the game I want to play. For example, say I really love a game that I play often that I got for free on PS+. I value the ability to play the game when I want to play it. If my PS+ membership lapses let's just say because I don't have time to really use the PS+ IGC stuff anymore, then it would be better for me to just let my membership lapse and buy that game I got for free. But as the system is now, I can't, so either I have to keep a rather useless $50/year subscription around, or I have to give up playing that game because I can't even buy it. This is especially complicated for Vita owners IMHO because you can't just make a secondary account to buy the game since the Vita only lets you have 1 user per device.

I never really got this logic... maybe it's just me, but it really never made sense to me. While I own most of the games offered for PS + (always a great feeling when you have 350+ games and see another one you have come up...), I still almost MAGICALLY get $50 dollars worth over a calendar year.

This year I got Shank 2 (thats like $15 right?), Double Dragon ($10 right?) and KoF XIII (lets go with $20), so all I need is a $5 - $10 dollar game and I break even. I find it hard to believe most people don't come away with $50 dollars worth of value... but perhaps I am mistaken.

Sony probably didn't implement the feature because they didn't think people would want to pay money for something they have for free. They probably have yet to implement it because the amount of money they would get from doing so is less than how much it would cost to do so, or it's less than the potential profit they could make by putting those resources to use elsewhere.

-looks at the new store-

Personally... I think Sony should implement the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" policy, since things tend to get worse if they "fix" it. I already can't use the fucking store, now you want to kill my download list too?!

On a slightly more serious note, I think Sony believes everyone should be able to break even and so they don't really think about it. As I mentioned above, I've played 350+ games and plus still offers me things I don't have and actually want. Going off the @Gamer thread... I might be one of the few people that are content getting at least my moneys worth.

#2308 espy   Original Transported Man CAGiversary!   2817 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

2. This is also true, in my experience, but it is not intentional. I attempted to purchase the Walking Dead season pass after having downloaded eps 1 & 2 free, and then letting my subscription lapse. It worked fine while the sub was active, but after lapsing and resubscribing the system treated me like I had not purchased anything. After going through customer support the conclusion was that this is a known glitch: games received free through PS+ do not properly "release" their license and thus cannot be purchased for money. (clarification: You can give them money. You won't get the game though.) Surely they are working to fix this.

I also don't think it's intentional, honestly just a result of a poorly thought out system (which is common with online systems from Japanese companies). But yeah, you summed it up much better than I did.

I can see why it might be valuable for some people, if a game ever drops so low in price that it's lower than a monthly PS+ subscription, I too would prefer to buy the game rather than re-up. Or if you plan to play it over a few months, but don't want to pay for a multi-month subscrition. Sometimes the choices may not make the most fiscal sense, but the choices still need to be there.

#2309 wtsutton   Lost my hippie lettuce! CAGiversary!   943 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

I know this question might seem "out there" but, in the event Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) goes on sale next week, can Vita users map the camera rotation to the right analog stick? I might take a shot at it if it goes on sale but only if I can map the camera like that.

#2310 johnnypark   Farewell My Viking! CAGiversary!   3391 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

I know this question might seem "out there" but, in the event Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) goes on sale next week, can Vita users map the camera rotation to the right analog stick? I might take a shot at it if it goes on sale but only if I can map the camera like that.

Is the camera mapped to L/R? If so then yes. I did it in Persona 3 and use the right analog stick to rotate the camera in dungeons. Best of all, R/L maintain their functionality, so if those buttons are used in menus for navigation etc you can still do so.