Wal-Mart workers To Strike On Black Friday????

highly skilled laborers like Walmart salespeople will be hard to replace.

There are many industries that operate 24/7 365 days a year. Obviously I don't support retaliatory actions as the article suggests is occurring but throwing a fit because you got scheduled to work (insert holiday here) is a little childish.

[quote name='GBAstar']highly skilled laborers like Walmart salespeople will be hard to replace.

There are many industries that operate 24/7 365 days a year. Obviously I don't support retaliatory actions as the article suggests is occurring but throwing a fit because you got scheduled to work (insert holiday here) is a little childish.[/QUOTE]

Many of those industries are essential for society such as emergency workers. Retail isn't, in any fashion, an essential service. There's no reason for retail to be open on Thanksgiving, give people a day off to spend with their families.

[quote name='GBAstar']highly skilled laborers like Walmart salespeople will be hard to replace.

There are many industries that operate 24/7 365 days a year. Obviously I don't support retaliatory actions as the article suggests is occurring but throwing a fit because you got scheduled to work (insert holiday here) is a little childish.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much my sentiment. Just a big temper tantrum. Maybe they should get better jobs so they don't have to work retail? What pisses me off is you don't see convenient store employees walking off the job or striking and if anything they have the worse job.

Great quote at the end of the article:

"If you come into a workplace knowing that's an agreement you might have to make, then that's your choice to have that job," shopper Rae Luce told the station.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/1...-mount-black-friday-job-action/#ixzz2CQEiqbuc

Fox News attracts such lovely people. I'd actually LMAO if this happened. I'd go down there and congratulate them.

It's about time people from Walmart strike. I wonder how many spots their anti-union aircraft can be at once to stop these strikes. It's a joke that they encourage their employees to go on welfare for their health benefits. I will not shop at Walmart no matter how low their prices are. I'd rather pay the extra dollar and no that my money isn't going to billionaires that refuse to donate a penny to those less fortunate. What a disgusting corportation.

I remember when holidays were instituted to give workers a day off and now, they're expected to work longer than their typical shifts.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RedvsBlue']Many of those industries are essential for society such as emergency workers. Retail isn't, in any fashion, an essential service. There's no reason for retail to be open on Thanksgiving, give people a day off to spend with their families.[/QUOTE]

If no one showed up at the store to buy anything on Thanksgiving they'd reconsider being open real quick.

Some people may not have families and may even want to work that day. (Holiday pay?)

The thing of it is, no one's forcing them to work. This a coal mine with unsafe conditions or 18 hour factory with locked doors. It's Wal-Mart on Thanksgiving.

No one's forcing them to work, except for ya know, life.

This pisses me off so much.
One person says "No one is forcing them to work!"
So they refuse, and are fired.
The next person says "Damn moochers, leeching off society, get a job you bum!".

You expect to work until when most Walmarts close, which is at 11pm. You may work an hour or two later if you stock, but still not that later. A lot of people are just scheduled to work that night, not a choice, and I am totally for it. Thanksgiving is its own Federal Holiday where people should be sitting around eating a lot, being grateful for how awesome it is to be American. Instead, Christmas sticks its head out earlier and earlier every year and Thankgsiving is now literally getting taken over. Walmart and Target are doing this because they want a leg up on competition and they decided to not follow an unspoken rule: Black Friday should be on Friday. Plus, at 8pm, everyone is in a food coma and don't feel like moving.

I am a little biased, though. I was born on Thanksgiving.

It seems that the strike is for a proper cause so I support that.
However if the motive is that they believe that they should get a day off because it is a federal holiday, then they are pathetic.
If everyone took a day off because it was a holiday, who would be running the hospitals, putting out fires, running electricity etc?
i think that is the wrong way of interpreting entitlement.

This really seems more about them wanting a holiday off in retail, which is ridiculous. I worked at Blockbuster for 6 years, they were open every single day of the year. I never minded working those days, but what always did piss me off were people coming in and saying "why are you open today?". Some fast food places are open on holidays too, don't see those people getting all upset and threatening to strike, they knew what they were in for when they took the job.

[quote name='Erad30']This really seems more about them wanting a holiday off in retail, which is ridiculous. I worked at Blockbuster for 6 years, they were open every single day of the year. I never minded working those days, but what always did piss me off were people coming in and saying "why are you open today?". Some fast food places are open on holidays too, don't see those people getting all upset and threatening to strike, they knew what they were in for when they took the job.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%! I dont mind working holidays and since I'm not salary I get double time. However, super annoying to be asked that question while working a holiday. There's a chance I wouldnt be working if you weren't here. To be honest I'm a little upset I'm working to many weekends and holidays but I'm a new manager in retail so of course id het last pick and I have to deal with it until I find a better job

heh, I read similar things with employees being upset about this at places like Target as well. I just want the Black Friday sales to be at the AM hours of Friday again, it really did let me plan better and not cut into the day (Plus I'm usually awake during the night instead of the day so there's that as well).

I choose not to shop on brown or black holidays simply because I value my life. Last thing I need is some crazed woman stabbing me as walk too close to the latest "tickle-me-whatever" display. The last time I went out on black Friday, I witnessed a young, semi-attractive woman laying across the top of a pallet of $30 DVD players. At that moment, I decided, "no... this is not for me."

I hope those people realize that they're risking their job in doing so. But I think it's ridiculous to start Black Friday an early than on Friday.

I love how some people just say they should get better jobs if they don't like it. Not everyone that works at Wal-Mart has the option to do that and working on Thanksgiving is shitty for them.

If they want to do this as a statement to the company, then fine. It may get them all fired but it is their right to do so. I honestly HATE Wal-Mart so I hope they get screwed over by this in some fashion as a company.

*when hiring potential employee*

Employer: "Now, you understand that you may be required to work holidays, correct?"
Potential Employee: "Yes".
Employer: "Great, can you start Monday?"
New Employee: "Yes, thank you for this job!"

*few months later*

Employer: "We have you scheduled to work a shift on Thanksgiving. Not the entire day, just one shift from mid-day to evening".
Employee: "That's not fair, I'm going on strike".

Anyone see the problem here? I don't care if this is the only job you can get, lady luck isn't always on our side. You acknowledged you might have to work holidays when you took the position. Don't fucking cry about it just because you can't spend the WHOLE day with your family. Welcome to adulthood and earning your living.

While I was in college, I worked at Movie Gallery and we were open 365 days a year. Do you know how much it sucks to work on Christmas? I didn't threaten to strike or say it was unfair for me to work on that day because when I accepted the job I knew there was a possibility I would have to work on Christmas. If you don't like what your job requires you to do then you need to better yourself and look for another job. There are to many opportunities in this country for people to better themselves for people to have to settle on a low skilled job.

Wal-Mart could easily do away with the majority of their cashiers and replace them with automated check outs.

Black Friday one of the biggest shopping period of the year. Retailers should be open. It's like best buy employees whining because best buy has extended hours during the holiday season. That's how they hype up the start of shopping season and make money. Suck it up, it comes with the territory.

I would work thanksgiving all the time at a previous job. It's not like they are selling insurance on Thanksgiving.

[quote name='LordVila']Wal-Mart could easily do away with the majority of their cashiers and replace them with automated check outs.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I wish they would. A local grocery store here have self-checkout and there are 6 "lanes", 3 on each side, and there is a cashier in the middle to assist people and monitor as well.

[quote name='LordVila']

Wal-Mart could easily do away with the majority of their cashiers and replace them with automated check outs.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've worked for Wal-Mart for 10+ years and that is the future, along with a more automated backroom (not sure how that will work). But in the long run Wal-Mart wants to get rid of cashiers and have more stocking. That's good for the company in terms of keeping the shelves full and helping customers, and also helps their bottom line (as if my company needs more profit) since that would be like a 20% staff cut.

Also this is more about working on Thanksgiving then anything. My only holiday left is Christmas and I'm sure that will go the way of the dodo down the road.

With all that said, I would not be stupid enough to call out on Thanksgiving/Black Friday because I value my job. I get paid decent money for what I do considering I have no college education and if I were to lose my job I would be taking a 40%+ paycut and having a helluva time finding full time hours as well.

Personally, I'm in the position that because I'm 4 hours from my nearest family (including my fiancee), working my Thanksgiving shift would mean I'm spending Thanksgiving alone due to being scheduled till 4AM on Thanksgiving morning for setup and then again at 7PM on Thanksgiving night. I spend most of my time alone while I'm finishing school, I'm not doing it on Thanksgiving.

Not everyone cares about holidays. A person should be able to work on a holiday if they want. When I was younger I worked on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at Disneyland and got overtime. It was great. The hours dry up after New Years and you can have all the time off you want. I loved working on holidays because it gave me an excuse not to have to do any holiday stuff. Now I have paid holidays and I have to go eat with three families. Dad, mom and girlfriend's family.

[quote name='cheapbrokegamer']It's like best buy employees whining because best buy has extended hours during the holiday season. [/QUOTE]When I worked these kinds of jobs I asked for extended hours. They had a sign up sheet where you could volunteer to be called in for holidays and stuff. It was the best time to work because there was zero accountability. The only goal was making sure the store didn't burn down or something. It was so busy that no one gave a shit if you sold M-rated games to minors or anything. You weren't going to be audited during the fucking holiday rush.

Yup I worked at Best Buy for nearly 5 years, double shifts during holidays were pretty normal and I never complained, especially when my paycheck came.

[quote name='KingBroly']I hope those people realize that they're risking their job in doing so. But I think it's ridiculous to start Black Friday an early than on Friday.[/QUOTE]

Gotta love the heartless conservatives suddenly feigning concern for the job security of Walmart workers.

Love it, and can't wait till UB replies.

[quote name='lowgear26']I love how some people just say they should get better jobs if they don't like it. Not everyone that works at Wal-Mart has the option to do that and working on Thanksgiving is shitty for them.

If they want to do this as a statement to the company, then fine. It may get them all fired but it is their right to do so. I honestly HATE Wal-Mart so I hope they get screwed over by this in some fashion as a company.[/QUOTE]

You get it. Some people never will...

[quote name='SynGamer']Anyone see the problem here? I don't care if this is the only job you can get, lady luck isn't always on our side. You acknowledged you might have to work holidays when you took the position. Don't fucking cry about it just because you can't spend the WHOLE day with your family. Welcome to adulthood and earning your living.[/QUOTE]

Employment is nothing but a contract between a company and an individual. There is absolutely nothing wrong with contract renegotiation.

Executives do it all the time. Do you have similar objections when a CEO asks for more money from the board (because this happens all. the. time.)

If guys want real BS, my thanksgiving and christmas are cancelled because my sister has to work on both those days. She is a freight manager at a grocery store, which is clossed by the way and they dont get any freight on weds,thurs(thanksgiving), or friday. Same goes with christmas eve+day. She has to go in to straighten up the store.

Just have the more people do it, there wont be any customers anyways. >.<

p.s. I got lucky I go into target at 9am black friday for grocery(gravy shift + paid day off for thursday)

Good thing I shop at Wal-mart maybe once per year, and I do nothing but party on Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

As long as there is someone at the liquor store on Wednesday, I'm good.

The rest of y'all can blame each other for this disaster. Did you really, really need a $15 blender?

[quote name='mykevermin']Good thing I shop at Wal-mart maybe once per year, and I do nothing but party on Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

As long as there is someone at the liquor store on Wednesday, I'm good.

The rest of y'all can blame each other for this disaster. Did you really, really need a $15 blender?[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry I participated in the spectacle as long as I did. I'm out this year, I have enough "stuff" as it is that I don't need more of it. This whole debacle has had me seriously reconsider my priorities and getting a bunch of good deals on stuff I don't need isn't what I want.

Right-o. I look forward to cooking a ton, eating a ton, drinking a ton, and spending way too many hours with friends.

Shopping can EAMFD compared to spending time with awesome people on a holiday.

There's something about the attitude towards Wal-Mart employees (or hourly wage employees) in this thread that bothers me, though. It's the general idea that they are the lowest of the low, the scum of the earth, and that they should shut up and accept the scorn we heap on them. They should not only work on Thanksgiving, they should work on Thanksgiving AND we can treat them disrespectfully about it. I think that's incredibly distasteful.

[quote name='mykevermin']Right-o. I look forward to cooking a ton, eating a ton, drinking a ton, and spending way too many hours with friends.

Shopping can EAMFD compared to spending time with awesome people on a holiday.

There's something about the attitude towards Wal-Mart employees (or hourly wage employees) in this thread that bothers me, though. It's the general idea that they are the lowest of the low, the scum of the earth, and that they should shut up and accept the scorn we heap on them. They should not only work on Thanksgiving, they should work on Thanksgiving AND we can treat them disrespectfully about it. I think that's incredibly distasteful.[/QUOTE]

It really isn't much different in the Hostess thread really, its just masked as disdain for the unions there but its really the same principle of absolutely no support for our fellow working man.

Why be mad at the corporate executives forcing employees into the position of having to choose between a livelihood and time with their families when you can just be mad at those whiny, lazy losers because they knew what they were getting into? Never mind the fact that many of these stores gave no advance warning that Black Friday was being moved into Thursday this year until just couple weeks before. Granted some of those stores have always been open Thanksgiving but for many this is completely new.

I guess it's always been a little different for me since I grew up with just mother and she was a nurse and since we lived in a small town growing up, she had to work every holiday so we (cousins, aunts and uncles) would all pick a day in Dec and have a Xmas dinner. Also, as some one who did work for Wal Mart about 15 yrs ago, I know I would be working holidays and especially Black Friday and back then, right at 5 am, we would pull the pallets out with the items on them and people would swarm onto them like crazy. Being 6'2" 250lbs really came in handy when I would tell some one to back off the items until I put them in the spot and pulled the pallet jack away. It has gotten out of hand and I do all my shopping online. If I can't get it online, I don't need it.

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']I guess it's always been a little different for me since I grew up with just mother and she was a nurse and since we lived in a small town growing up, she had to work every holiday so we (cousins, aunts and uncles) would all pick a day in Dec and have a Xmas dinner. Also, as some one who did work for Wal Mart about 15 yrs ago, I know I would be working holidays and especially Black Friday and back then, right at 5 am, we would pull the pallets out with the items on them and people would swarm onto them like crazy. Being 6'2" 250lbs really came in handy when I would tell some one to back off the items until I put them in the spot and pulled the pallet jack away. It has gotten out of hand and I do all my shopping online. If I can't get it online, I don't need it.[/QUOTE]

Right, 5-6am on Friday was reasonable and expected, 7-9 pm on Thanksgiving, on the other hand, is too far.

First let me say that I don't have any kids, just nieces and nephews and I know thats not the same. I know most wont like what I am about to say but hey, I understand. I think the biggest problem with Black Friday is parents wanting to give their kids so much, they will stand out in the cold and rain to get a certain item. If people really looked around their house, they would see they have so much already. I know my mom worked her tail off to give me more than she had and I will never forget it but there has to be an age where most people have what they want (thinking of adults here) and just spend the money on the kids and those who are less fortunate. Rant over.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Right, 5-6am on Friday was reasonable and expected, 7-9 pm on Thanksgiving, on the other hand, is too far.[/QUOTE]

If the shoppers don't come, they won't open so damn early. We as shoppers need to make a stand for the workers.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Right, 5-6am on Friday was reasonable and expected, 7-9 pm on Thanksgiving, on the other hand, is too far.[/QUOTE]

You make it sound like a big retailer isn't staffed 24-7 this time of year; that if they hadn't decided to open 12 hours earlier all those workers would be home with their family...

shit even small retail stores in shopping malls and plaza's are staffed nearly 24 hours a day getting the stores ready for black Friday.

American's whine; While these complaints hold some water we are a society that likes to call out sick so we can get drunk on our birthday or when our favorite team is playing in March Madness.

Regardless of what time the physical Walmart B&M stores open this week closing a few hours earlier isn't going to allow those working in the warehouses, call centers, driving the trucks, etc. get anymore time off.

Everyone wants to work standard hours M-F; fewer people want to work evenings, weekend and holidays. As long as their is extra incentive for those shifts (i.e. pay differential) and are given advance notice that they'll be scheduled (two weeks is enough in almost all states) then I don't see why they're that upset.

Try being a middle manager in one of these stores that is on SALARY working 60+ hours and not getting over time and then go ahead and complain. I've worked in several settings where the salary staff has made less per hour once you factor in the extra hours they work but aren't getting paid for vs the overtime other employees pick up and are getting time and a half or holiday pay.

As a Residential Coordinator at Job Corps I was in a position where if we were short or had staff call outs I absolutely had to come in (24/7 center). There were hours I did NOT get paid for and I was still expected to work my regular schedule (i.e. I could not comp out a scheduled day because I was forced to come in on a non scheduled day).

Having been in that situation many times I don't really feel bad for those that are scheduled in advance to work a holiday.

[quote name='GBAstar']You make it sound like a big retailer isn't staffed 24-7 this time of year; that if they hadn't decided to open 12 hours earlier all those workers would be home with their family...

shit even small retail stores in shopping malls and plaza's are staffed nearly 24 hours a day getting the stores ready for black Friday.

American's whine; While these complaints hold some water we are a society that likes to call out sick so we can get drunk on our birthday or when our favorite team is playing in March Madness.

Regardless of what time the physical Walmart B&M stores open this week closing a few hours earlier isn't going to allow those working in the warehouses, call centers, driving the trucks, etc. get anymore time off.[/QUOTE]

Well, I can speak with certainty in telling you that not every Target had people in the building on Thanksgiving because I used to run security at one of the Targets and we always had to find one of the$managers who was staying close to the
store to be on call in case of emergency.

So... yeah, most of you don't understand at all. Why wal-mart sucks is this..

My request for medical leave of absence was denied due to Thanksgiving. Nevermind that I talked to my manager several months in advance. We were planning this out, said they were cool with me taking my leave starting 11/17 (when my son was due). When i called on 11/10 (when my son was actually born) they said no luck can't give you the time, because of Thanksgiving. not black friday, but Thanksgiving. Now i'm scheduled to work 4pm-12am, and don't have time off to help my wife with our son.

Look, Thanksgiving is meant to be thankful for what you have, not for what you are going to get. Black Friday should legally have to start at 12 am Friday. You can keep the stores open through Thanksgiving, but sales have to start on Friday.

[quote name='makito']So... yeah, most of you don't understand at all. Why wal-mart sucks is this..

My request for medical leave of absence was denied due to Thanksgiving. Nevermind that I talked to my manager several months in advance. We were planning this out, said they were cool with me taking my leave starting 11/17 (when my son was due). When i called on 11/10 (when my son was actually born) they said no luck can't give you the time, because of Thanksgiving. not black friday, but Thanksgiving. Now i'm scheduled to work 4pm-12am, and I don't get to enjoy my Thanksgiving dinner with my sisters coming into town.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what your medical leave was for (that is your business) but if it was covered by FMLA they can't deny the leave; if it was something more personal then medical or you don't qualify for FMLA then Walmart can tell you to suck it. It makes them assholes but they have no legal obligation to give you time off. In your defense if I was promised time off (I would get it in writing (e-mail)---just how I am) and then it was later revoked I'd be pissed too.

[quote name='Predator21281']Look, Thanksgiving is meant to be thankful for what you have, not for what you are going to get. Black Friday should legally have to start at 12 am Friday. You can keep the stores open through Thanksgiving, but sales have to start on Friday.[/QUOTE]

Some states have laws that protect retailers. I know it Maine it used to be unless you were so many thousands of sq feet you could NOT open until midnight. I think that is still the law and the only stores that are typically large enough to qualify to open earlier then midnight are the largest of the retailers like Target and Walmart. I know in years past that TRU and BB were not large enough to qualify.

Welcome to the 24/7 world. As of nov 20 there will be 18,500 new people that will be more than willing to accept those spots. At my job everytime a full timer leaves. My employer brings in 2 temps to replace them.

I don't see what people are complaining about. You shut up and work and you better not complain about anything. I live in California and it has a much higher unemployment then when you see in the news. So there would be a lot of happy people willing to work.

bread's done
Back