Costco/Newegg Seagate Backup + 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External HD (STCA3000101) $100

Took me 4-5 tries to add it to my cart but it finally let me, and then I successfully was able to check out quickly. Just got the confirmation email too.

Thanks OP!

[quote name='Scouter']i'm used to portable external hard drives. do all desktop drives like the 3tb seagate one require an AC adapter?[/QUOTE]

this one does.

[quote name='Hwoarang']Thanks OP, jumped on it, I trust Seagate, as WD customer service sucks when my WD 3TB caviar crashed![/QUOTE]

I used to be a bigger fan of Seagate, but three weeks ago I bought three OEM 3TB Barracudas which is the same line that is in this drive. One died in less than a week, and two days later another started disconnecting itself like the first one originally did before dying.

I sent them all back to Newegg and replaced them with WD 3TB Greens. My original plan was to run a storage space with drives from different manufactures to prevent failures all at the same time, but Seagate forced my hand to just stick with the WD Greens which I haven't seen any issues with yet.

I've had good luck with WD customer service when I had issues with the originally pre-advanced format WD Green 2TB. These had a tendency to die, but the RMA process was very smooth. Enter the S/N, give them my CC they shipped me a new drive, I packed up the broken one and sent it back.

Tempting based on price, but there are a lot of reports about this drive failing.

[quote name='fifthcore']Hard drive won't work with the Wii U only 2TB or under.[/QUOTE]

The Wii U will partition and format 2 TB of the 3 TB drive.
You can format the last 1 TB for anything else.

Reading some bad things about these drives, but I've had Seagate before and never had a problem. Also, I think people tend to write negative reviews more than positive because they are motivated to write about it when disappointed. So the ratio is probably skewed. It's probably less than 100-1

Hmm, I've heard nothing but bad things about Seagate External Hard Drives. I wonder if there is such a thing as a reliable external hard drive?...:whistle2:k

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Damn it I just bought this for like $140 a few days ago at amazon![/QUOTE]

Email them. Seriously, you will get your money back. Amazon customer service is fantastic. They will tell you "our policy is that we do not retroactively price match, but we will make an exception in this case".

I've gotten over a dozen "exceptions" and is one reason I keep coming back to Amazon.

On topic: Hoping this deal pops up again during the week/on Black Friday. It's crazy how quick HDD's fill up... (fucking steam sales and an obsessive need to install everything grumble grumble)

Went with a friend to BB and we got them not long after they opened, and there was still a few left. There was no waiting outside, we just walked right in and the checkout line wasn't so bad either.

ETA: Store pickup option is available online again for BB, if any stores still have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back