PART 2 !! : Important WiiU remote question! (Not about Wii Motion Plus)

soonersfan60

CAGiversary!
Feedback
132 (100%)
Okay, I really want to figure this out, but don't know the answer... Which Wii Remotes have the sync button that is accessible without removing the battery cover? I've seen the picture in the instruction manual for the Wii U and so I just assumed that it was the Wii Remotes in the new blue boxes... it's not! I just bought one and opened it, but inside it's the same one. I want a Wii Remote with the button accessible so that I can switch back and forth between my Wii and Wii U more easily. Does anyone know about those newer remotes, where they are, how to get one? Thanks.

See Post #15 for new, related mystery...

Last edited by a moderator:
The weird part about these new controllers is that people reported getting them much earlier this year, as if it was a redesign meant to be distributed everywhere. I guess we need to get the actual UPC at this point.

I want a few as well, as I am a lazy consumer slut.

For now, at least, it seems there's no real way to guarantee getting your hands on them. I believe Nintendo first started letting these trickle out earlier this year. They've decided to go with this newer model going forward, but I imagine at the moment they're trying to get rid of the older stock as well. So, the newer and old versions are all mixed in from what I can tell, but you have a higher chance of getting a newer model if you buy the Wii U branded remotes. I'm not sure if there's anything different in the SKU, but I don't think there would be as they're all being sold for the same price and altogether.

For the forseeable future, which is to say until their current stock of the old model depletes, it's just the luck of the draw on which one you end up with.

I bought a blue box black wii mote last week and it doesn't have the external sync button. Doesn't bother me though, I use them unwrapped so it's easy enough to take the battery cover off, plus the batteries have to be taken out for replacement/charging anyways.

It's really not much of a pain if you leave the silicone case off(I hate them anyway), snapping the battery case off and on is easy and only takes a couple seconds. I do wish Nintendo would have just phased out the normal model all at once, though.

I don't want to stat a new thread, but does anyone know where I can get a Motion Plus Wiimote and Nunchuck for cheap? Was at Gamestop today, didn't realize the things are like 60 bucks, seems pretty high for something so common. Has to be cheaper somewhere, right?

[quote name='therealdanhill']I don't want to stat a new thread, but does anyone know where I can get a Motion Plus Wiimote and Nunchuck for cheap? Was at Gamestop today, didn't realize the things are like 60 bucks, seems pretty high for something so common. Has to be cheaper somewhere, right?[/QUOTE]

As crazy as it sounds, they've never really gone on sale. To get something cheaper, you'd be better off trying to find one of those games that includes a remote on clearance(TRU just had the Flingsmash one on sale for like, $23) and see if you can get a nunchuck for a dollar or so off on Amazon. Or you could just buy one of those cheaper knock-offs they sell in stores.

Ok, Mixer is correct about these. Walmart got a new shipment in and re-stocked the shelves so I opened 2 blue box Wii Remotes that were accessible, and both of them have the external sync button. The ones I opened were pink and white. Curious thing, though, is that both had clear covers and gray straps... I guess white ones don't have white straps anymore. I'm really curious about the black ones, but I'm assuming they still have black covers and strap. Can someone confirm once they get one? (I've decided I'm going to stick with the "older" black and white remotes until there's a B1G1 sale to take advantage of.)

I just bought a new-style (external sync button) black remote at Targets. Both the cover and strap are also black.

\\:D/

[quote name='soonersfan60']Okay, I really want to figure this out, but don't know the answer... Which Wii Remotes have the sync button that is accessible without removing the battery cover? I've seen the picture in the instruction manual for the Wii U and so I just assumed that it was the Wii Remotes in the new blue boxes... it's not! I just bought one and opened it, but inside it's the same one. I want a Wii Remote with the button accessible so that I can switch back and forth between my Wii and Wii U more easily. Does anyone know about those newer remotes, where they are, how to get one? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The remotes with the external sync buttons have "USZ" on the top flap of the box. The ones which are in blue boxes, but without the external sync button don't have "USZ".

WiiRemote_USZ.jpeg

;)

Ok, I saw USZ on the Wii Remote boxes... but now I also see that on the nunchuck boxes! Are there any physical differences (inside or out) between the "origina" nunchucks and the new USZ ones?

I have a really old remote (the light blue one) that I got at least a year ago if not longer and it has "USZ" on the top. I don't know where the sync button is because it is still sealed (and I may sell it as I have a couple from the Flingsmash bundles that I ended up using instead). But I just wanted to throw that out there - there could be older models with USZ that don't have the extenal sync button. Of course this is not a Wii U-branded box. So maybe you are safe with Wii U brand ones that also have "USZ" on them.

Just curious, where would the sync button be, anyway, if they aren't in the battery compartment? I can't picture where they'd be.

And also, why would you want to switch between Wii U and Wii so often? Why not just transfer everything and use the Wii U? That's what I did with my older Wii that had most of my VC stuff. I have a newer (red) one that I am keeping but I don't imagine I'll play it more than a couple times a year - if even that ;). I'm just keeping it because it has GC-compatibility and while I still have a GC that might die one day so I'm keeping the Wii as a backup.

First of all, the red sync button is visible thru a small hole in the battery cover and the jacket... you can use a pin-like protrusion on the new wrist strap to reach it. I don't have a picture of it, but you can see it in the manual for the new Wii U system.

Second, I always use my old systems to save wear and tear on the new system. I still have the Gamecube setup and play those games there even with a backwards compatible Wii. I've always done that.

Just a heads up - if you call Nintendo and hit the options to go into the parts line, you can order replacement covers - and specify that you want the new ones with the sync button - for $1 each with $5 shipping for the entire order.

So, $9 for a set of four.

It's not a spectacular deal, but cheaper (and less trouble) to replace your existing ones than alternate methods.

[quote name='UncleBob']Just a heads up - if you call Nintendo and hit the options to go into the parts line, you can order replacement covers - and specify that you want the new ones with the sync button - for $1 each with $5 shipping for the entire order.

So, $9 for a set of four.

It's not a spectacular deal, but cheaper (and less trouble) to replace your existing ones than alternate methods.[/QUOTE]

Actually, this is great news to hear. Effectively upgrade all of my existing controllers. Can you specify color? I'm not aiming to get a gold one for my Skyward Sword, but getting some white/black would be helpful. No big deal either way.

Also good to know in case more Wii __ bundle games go on sale again like Flingsmash did last year for $8.

You can specify color as long as you don't want a special edition color (red/gold). White, Black, Blue and Pink are what they had available.
Just remember to call and specify that you want the new ones - don't just order them online.

Part numbers for black (76391) and white (976390). Don't know about the other two, as I didn't order either of them. I did ask about a red one for my red remote and was told they didn't have them. Though I am left to wonder about the red remote that comes in the new Canadian-only Wii-Mini...

I've got an older remote and a new one with the external sync. The only difference is the battery cover on the new one has a pass-through pin and the rubber cover has a hole to access the pin.

And yes, the new battery cover works on the older controller. However if you use a rubber cover you'll either need a newer one or punch a hole in the old one...the rubber is too thick to find and use the new button.

Here are some pics...

WiiRemote_USZ_02.jpeg

WiiRemote_USZ_03.jpeg

WiiRemote_USZ_04.jpeg

WiiRemote_USZ_05.jpeg

WiiRemote_USZ_06.jpeg

Last edited:
bread's done
Back