GameFly Subscription GC sale - effectively half price at $22.95/2 mo./2 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucket2222

CAGiversary!
GameFly is offering discounted gift certificates for subscriptions to their rental service. http://www.gamefly.com/Gift-Certificate/Buy

Although gift certificates for the various subscription plans appear to be discounted, the clear best deal by my estimation is the 2 games out for 2 months for $22.95. $22.95 is the current regular price for a 1-month 2 games out subscription, making this effectively half price.

I have long used these gift certificates to pay for my own subscription to GameFly by e-mailing the gift certificates to myself and redeeming them. The price for the 2-game/2-month certificate has ranged from $27.95-$29.95 over the last year. The current holiday deal lowers the monthly cost of a 2-game plan to $11.48. This is better than the previous regular price of $13.98-$14.98 per month using GCs, and much better than the regular costs of $22.95 per month.

The e-mail announcing the sale says there's a limit of 5 gift certificate purchases per account. Presumably, this just means 5 at the sale price, as I've redeemed about eight 2-month gift certificates to date. One can have redeemed gift certificates lined up that will automatically be redeemed for future renewals.

Threads about GameFly deals often devolve into debates about strategies for/effectiveness of the service in getting the best games at launch. For my part, I love the service and have used it successfully to get some (but not every one I've wanted) hot launch titles and kids games for which I can't bring myself to pay full price, even though my kids want them shortly after they're released.

[quote name='cjenvy']how long is the sale in effect?[/QUOTE]

The e-mail I got doesn't list an end date, though it references savings during "this holiday season".

sad when gamefly cant do simple math

2 months 22.95 x 3 68.85 x 6 137.70
6months 97.55 x 2 = 195.10

12 months 214.60

That 2 months Cant be right... 1 year of gamefly 2at a time for less then 140

[quote name='slidecage']sad when gamefly cant do simple math

12 months 214.60

That 2 months Cant be right... 1 year of gamefly 2at a time for less then 140[/QUOTE]

you cant buy a years worth via 2 month certs

picked up 10 months for little under 123

figure i can break it up a few months here a few months there

Figure pick up a a 2 games per month = 60 x 10 = 600 if i could dump those 20 games for 20 each = 400

would be 200 out of pocket.... end up saving around 75 bucks and end up with 15 bucks in gamefly certs

so save 90 bucks

at least now i wont buy a new game to keep until next thanksgiving LOL

[quote name='cjenvy']you cant buy a years worth via 2 month certs[/QUOTE]

Last year Gamefly had a stated maximum per account in their GC promotion email, but it didn't actually apply in practice. I have no idea if this year will be the same or not, but I suppose I'll find out at some point in the near future.

I believe I have cracked the math behind GameFly's non-intuitive gift certificate pricing scheme. The "problem" is that each of their pricing packages includes one free month in the calculation of the price and discount. This results in the shortest gift certificate term being the best deal, as the free month is applied on a per certificate basis. Here's an example using their 2 games out pricing:

2 months = $22.95 x (2 months - 1 free month) = $22.95
3 months = $22.95 x (3 months - 1 free month) = $45.90 minus 15% discount = $39.00
6 months = $22.95 x 5 = $114.75 minus 15% = $97.55
12 months = $22.95 x 11 = $252.45 minus 15% = $214.60

GameFly thinks it is offering no discount on a 2-month GC and 15% on the longer term GCs, but because of the built-in free month it is actually offering a 50% discount on a 2-month GC, a 43% discount on a 3-month GC, a 29% discount on a 6-month GC, and a 22% discount on a 12-month GC. You don't have to be a CAGer or a mathematician to realize that stacking the 2-month GCs is the way to go. And by the way, this pricing scheme has been in place for at least a year -- http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310279 -- so it's not just a pricing glitch in the current holiday sale.

[quote name='slidecage']sad when gamefly cant do simple math

12 months 214.60

That 2 months Cant be right... 1 year of gamefly 2at a time for less then 140[/QUOTE]

Shhh...don't tell them. I've been doing this for almost a year now. Every other month I buy a 2 month gift card. :)

So you guys are sure that I can apply this to my existing plan? It doesn't mention it in the terms but it sounds like that's what you're doing. Awesome.

Edit: Buying 5. Bought 3 2-monthers so far. Just not sure if I want to buy more 2 per month or some 1 per month...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Goomba Stomper']Can I start a one month, one game at a time trial then before the month ends tack on one of these subscription certificates?[/QUOTE]

I don't see why not :)

[quote name='Bill Mcdougal']I don't see why not :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, wasn't sure if they auto-charged you for the second month when you chose the free trial.

....But I just redeemed one of my codes without remembering to do the free trial so I guess I'm out of luck there. But I was also wondering if there is a way to turn off automatic renewal? I don't want to forget to throw on the next redemption/cancel and get charged full price.

[quote name='Goomba Stomper']Can I start a one month, one game at a time trial then before the month ends tack on one of these subscription certificates?[/QUOTE]

ya i do that all the time

and it does work with people who already have memberships ... i been using them for the last year

wait a few days before my membership expires and add another code

EVEN IF THE PRICE WASNT SO LOW its better to buy 2 month codes then a 1 year plan

I did the one YEAR Plan 3 years back and hated it ... 6 months i could not even find anything i wanted to rent ..

i was gonna say, iv been doing this for over a year since i found out about it. i didnt know it was limited sale or anything. always seems to work for me. i never pay with credit card monthly, i just do the 2 months gc plan. don't see anything different bout it today than yesterday tho...

probably going to pick up 2 or 3 of these 6 months would be nice depending just got a wiiU hoping they stay in stock of those games will see how the next 2 months go.

[quote name='Velo214']i was gonna say, iv been doing this for over a year since i found out about it. i didnt know it was limited sale or anything. always seems to work for me. i never pay with credit card monthly, i just do the 2 months gc plan. don't see anything different bout it today than yesterday tho...[/QUOTE]

Same here. This is how I usually pay for gamefly, same prices and all.

Maybe I'll stock up now just in case.

I'm a little confused if someone can help me out with a question :

I just celebrated one year with Gamefly, and obviously my subscription is set for auto-renewal. If I were to buy 6 two games out - two-month gift certificates for $22.95, do I redeem them all at one time ? If not, what's the process for existing members ? Thank you.

just redeem them all. it will add them 2 months at a time. i just got another 2 months and it says next billing date is sept 14, 2013 or such.

[quote name='Bucket2222']I believe I have cracked the math behind GameFly's non-intuitive gift certificate pricing scheme. The "problem" is that each of their pricing packages includes one free month in the calculation of the price and discount. This results in the shortest gift certificate term being the best deal, as the free month is applied on a per certificate basis. Here's an example using their 2 games out pricing:

2 months = $22.95 x (2 months - 1 free month) = $22.95
3 months = $22.95 x (3 months - 1 free month) = $45.90 minus 15% discount = $39.00
6 months = $22.95 x 5 = $114.75 minus 15% = $97.55
12 months = $22.95 x 11 = $252.45 minus 15% = $214.60

GameFly thinks it is offering no discount on a 2-month GC and 15% on the longer term GCs, but because of the built-in free month it is actually offering a 50% discount on a 2-month GC, a 43% discount on a 3-month GC, a 29% discount on a 6-month GC, and a 22% discount on a 12-month GC. You don't have to be a CAGer or a mathematician to realize that stacking the 2-month GCs is the way to go. And by the way, this pricing scheme has been in place for at least a year -- http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310279 -- so it's not just a pricing glitch in the current holiday sale.[/QUOTE]

Where do you get the 1 free month? I just bought a 2 month Cert and it's showing my start date as today ,11/26/2012, and my next renewal date as 1/26/2013. That's only 2 months, not 3.

[quote name='Arleisha']Where do you get the 1 free month? I just bought a 2 month Cert and it's showing my start date as today ,11/26/2012, and my next renewal date as 1/26/2013. That's only 2 months, not 3.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about the math from the OP's page.
Just take the price and divide by the number of months and you'll see that the 2 month plan is the cheapest rate.

Edit: Whoops, math was from Bucket2222, not the OP, lol. Carry on.

[quote name='Arleisha']Where do you get the 1 free month? I just bought a 2 month Cert and it's showing my start date as today ,11/26/2012, and my next renewal date as 1/26/2013. That's only 2 months, not 3.[/QUOTE]

If you pay full price of $22.95 a month compared to buying a 2 month GC for $22.95 it's like getting a month free... Fuzzy math.

Add me to the list of people doing the GC 2 month plan for the past 8 months as it's always the cheapest option monthly. Actually bought 2 more months yesterday at this same price as my account would renew early December. I never wanted to say anything as the less members the less release day competition. I've bought exactly 3 new releases in the last 6 months and played everything I wanted.

I've never tried but anyone on the pre-paid GC plan ever upgraded to 3 games out? Do they just charge you an extra $7 a month versus the 2 game plans regular cost or how's that work? My billing history the GC's get split equally for each month and I was always scared i'd get hit for $17 extra instead of $7 extra. Whatever it takes to get you to the $29.95 a month for 3 out...

Thanks! I had no idea Gamefly did this. I usually subscribe for two months in the summer while I'm off from work (ah, the perks of being a teacher), and this would be great to have to catch up with a backlog of titles I want to play. In for six months' worth so I can avoid buying any games and wait for the ones I really want to own come next Black Friday. Anyone know how long the gift certificates are valid for, or if there's an expiration date?

Perfect! My GF subscription just ran out and was waiting for a cheap way back in. Bought one for now, gonna come back for 4 more when the cooldown on my wallet recharges. Thanks OP!

[quote name='Lienwrath']Perfect! My GF subscription just ran out and was waiting for a cheap way back in. Bought one for now, gonna come back for 4 more when the cooldown on my wallet recharges. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

I'm in a similar situation myself, with all the black friday deals I bought. Anyone know how long we have to buy these or when this deal should be over?

Brock F'N Sampson;10218235]I'm in a similar situation myself said:
It should last all the way till Christmas.
[quote name='nhlducks35']So do I just log into my account, email the certificate to the email I'm using for my Gamefly account, then redeem it?
Yes.

Sweet. I'd been bugging my Dad to let us get Gamefly. He didn't want to do the $20+ a month for 2 games though. But with it basically 1/2 off he said I could get 4 of them. So now we have Gamefly for 8 months! :)

Forgive me if I'm stupid or missing something, but for the 2 games out at a time deal, isn't it cheaper to buy 3 two month GC then the 6 month one?

EDIT: Reread over the thread and it is a big savings after doing the math, thanks OP!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jltaser']Don't worry about the math from the OP's page.
Just take the price and divide by the number of months and you'll see that the 2 month plan is the cheapest rate.

Edit: Whoops, math was from Bucket2222, not the OP, lol. Carry on.[/QUOTE]

But I was so proud of my math...! (BTW, OP=Bucket2222) As far as I can tell, I'm the first person (possibly including GameFly employees) to understand how their gift certificate prices are set. The "free month" in my calculations isn't a "free month" you should be separately redeeming. Rather, there is one month in GameFly's calculations of prices that is not charged and that is what creates the price anomaly. Oh well, I agree with others that the math can be ignored -- the real deal is GF at half price through the purchase of 2-month gift certificates.

I note that the deal works the same for 2-month 1 game out GCs. You can purchase 2-month 1 game GCs for $15.95, the same as regular price for a 1-month subscription. I prefer to have a second game out for the extra $3.50 per month, but this could help fit GF within a tight budget.

Looks like the hard limit of 5 is accurate. I tried ordering a 6th one and it won't let me submit. Anyone else encountering this?

hmmm neat. I did it once, might do it a couple more times. I like gamefly, mainly since i abandon a lot of games i start. 2 hours in to Assassin's Creed 3 and i'm ready to return it for Xcom or Halo 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back