Last issue of Nintendo Power - Cover revealed (On newsstands 12/11)

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
From Reddit:

Fe0AA.jpg

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if they still kept the subscription cards in there?

Sad to see this magazine go, been with it since the Nintendo Fun Club.

Would really like to see a complete archive released. Lost most of my early issues when the basement flooded.

End of an era? That has sailed long by. I doubt most people who were moaning the death of Nintendo Power were doing it because they were current subscribers but because of nostalgia reasons. They probably haven't really picked up a NP in years, especially before Nintendo started to cut it down and then removed it from the company. Who honestly read Nintendo Power during the Gamecube years? Very few of us. And besides, like many closing magazines, our enthusiasm for Nintendo Power sure didn't match subscription numbers.

My subscription ended this September, so I think I'll be picking up the magazine in next/two week(s).

When does this issue hit stands. I just got the last issue with the pack of Kid Icarus AR cards maybe two weeks ago.

[quote name='Octopod']When does this issue hit stands. I just got the last issue with the pack of Kid Icarus AR cards maybe two weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how you managed to read the topic title without reading when it hits newsstands.

Don't be an idiot like me and make the same mistake. I stopped into a bookstore the other day and remembered about this so I went looking on the racks to see if it was out yet. Right next to the Nov issue I see a magazine called "Nintendo" and "final issue special." So in my haste, I accidentally bought a "final issue" of Nintendo "Gamer" magazine for $10!!! I hadn't bought a nintendo power in so long I just figured the slightly bigger size and cover look had to do with it being the final issue. Needless to say, no returns on magaziines, so I just donated $10 to that rag. I bet they did that to capitalize on this.

I will be buying this, simply for posterity sake. I remember when NP use to be good, when Nintendo was financing it so we didn't have to see all those stupid ads(ads are not CONTENT, they're garbage FILLER!!!!), the full issue strategy guides on one game, etc. Good days. Sigh.
Too bad Sony and Microsoft never tried that idea, of having next to no ads or just no ads starting out with their gaming mags.

Might get it or take a glance through it while at a store.

Sad to see it go, but the last time I read Nintendo Power I thought it was pretty awful, so this may be for the best.

I guess I'm the only one who liked the latest rendition of the magazine. I loved all the great interviews they had, and the fact they were okay with talking about the competitor's systems and third party games that were on them. It felt like the magazine had matured along with me, and my interests in a gaming magazine versus when I was a child reading Nintendo Power.

I haven't read it this year because I couldn't find a good deal on a sub (the deals used to be killer, 3-5 bucks if I remember right) I think I'll be picking this up to say goodbye.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']End of an era? That has sailed long by. I doubt most people who were moaning the death of Nintendo Power were doing it because they were current subscribers but because of nostalgia reasons. They probably haven't really picked up a NP in years, especially before Nintendo started to cut it down and then removed it from the company. Who honestly read Nintendo Power during the Gamecube years? Very few of us. And besides, like many closing magazines, our enthusiasm for Nintendo Power sure didn't match subscription numbers.

My subscription ended this September, so I think I'll be picking up the magazine in next/two week(s).[/QUOTE]

You're flavoring your apprehensiveness towards the simple phrase "end of an era" with ignorant hyperbole targeted at people like me who haven't subscribed to any magazine since childhood. Why not just agree that the magazine will be missed by both "true fans" with recent subscriptions like yourself and fans who haven't been subscribers in years? There's no reason to distinguish a trivial level of seniority over a dying publication. We'll all miss the magazine, and establishing that you'll miss it more than someone else who used to get it is foolish.

Nice cover (love the homage), but I never really planned on reading the magazine again.

The cover is terrible, it looks so forced and goofy.

Oh well, I'll probably still pick this up just 'cuz. NP was a great mag and I still buy back issues if I ever see them in pawn shops.

Saw this at Wal-mart yesterday, definitely gonna pick it up. I haven't read the magazine in years, and even by the time I dropped out (2009ish?) I had lost most interest, but this mag was a huge part of my adolescence.

I remember buying an issue with the second half of Paper Mario walkthough when I was a kid, and loving the mag cover-to-cover. I subscribed all through middle school and high school, from the mid-2005s rough times of "Now Playing" review sections and boring walkthroughs for games no one wanted to play, up through their great redesign around the Twilight Princess release when they became much more self-aware and started responding to letters with random photos of Mr. T.

Gotta have this for the nostalgia.

Also, I'll always remember Alan, the slime on staff.

BlueSlimePlush.gif

I picked it up yesterday at target. I thought the poster with every single Nintendo Power issue on it was really cool. Brings back great memories of Nintendo Power

Not all of my targets seem to sell this, but one did. Nice for collectors that it comes in a sealed plastic bag. My walmart didn't carry this, but safeway had a ton. Still have my issue #1 somewhere, although it has been beaten up pretty bad from numerous readings and age.

Do the subscribers get anything different, like they usually do?

[quote name='my2k2zx2']I cannot find this issue anywhere. Where is everyone finding it?[/QUOTE]

The official street date should be tomorrow. People are reporting it in Target and Ralph's (I've never heard of a Ralph's).

I'm going to check Barnes and Noble, Target, and various grocery stores.

[quote name='Strell']The official street date should be tomorrow. People are reporting it in Target and Ralph's (I've never heard of a Ralph's).

I'm going to check Barnes and Noble, Target, and various grocery stores.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to see if any are available on Saturday. Wont be able to check anywhere until then.

It is also available now directly from the publisher's site. Go to nintendopower.com and clicking the link to buy this issue now will take you to the back issues. $1.50 for shipping and will probably get all bent up in the mail, but is an option if you can't find it anywhere else.

From what I can see, the only difference between subscriber and newsstand covers is the barcode on the front. Anyone with a subscriber version know of anything else?

Saw more of them at another target today (in the dedicated magazine section, not at the checkout), so maybe all carry but just usually sell out each month.

bread's done
Back