Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure or Giants?

WormFOODx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
So I really hesitated at getting into the Skylanders game series. This Christmas I decided to go ahead and take the plunge on a version for the Wii (I don't like my 6 year old having free access to my Xbox). The big question is, do I get the original with the hopes of finding figures that are cheaper or do I start up with the new game, Giants?

Thoughts?

I would go with Skylander Giants. I think Sears has it on sale right now for all platforms.

Keep in mind that the original "small" figures from the first game will work just fine in Giants as well :) So you won't limit yourself by picking up the Giants version at all.

Giants is a little shorter than the first Skylanders, but you also have to keep in mind that the level cap in Giants is higher (15 vs. 10 in original), and has a lot more items (Hats, bonus items, etc.) that you can buy, so if you / your children like to collect cosmetic items, upgrade their hero, etc., it adds a lot of time to it :) And every hero levels separately.. so there's a lot to do if you have multiple hero's.

Amazon has the Giants starter kit (game, portal, plus 3 characters) for $59.99 on all platforms currently. The first game (Spyro's Adventure) is $60 at Walmart.com.

$40 used isn't too bad, but I tend to stay away from used games, so it's personal preference :)

crap i picked up giants off ebay just to find out you need the first game to play it for some reason

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='WormFOODx']Do you need the first Skylanders to play Giants?[/QUOTE]

Nope :) The only thing is that you need to make sure you get the Starter Kit - not the "Portal Owners Pack" since you don't have the little portal device yet. All of the figures from the first game work in Giants, though.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I don't think so. That's coming from slidecage, so take it with an entire shaker of salt.[/QUOTE]

i was taking it from amazon..did not know their was 2 sets

Requires Skylanders Spyro's Adventure® to play - Only purchase this pack if you already own Skylanders Spyro's Adventure®

Slidecage, you are probably looking at the Portal Owners Pack - that is slightly cheaper, but doesn't come with the portal. You'll need to pick up the Giants STARTER pack if you don't own the portal :) Giants is a standalone game, so you do not need the first to play it.

I don't think Giants is shorter than the first - although EVERYONE says so. There are fewer levels, but those levels feel significantly longer than the first game's. I HIGHLY recommend you get Giants...it's so much better than the first (not that the first game was a slouch). But IF you had to choose, grab Giants. And prepare your wallet...it will weep openly!!!

[quote name='slidecage']is the game very short or will they got a lot of time out of it.. heard you can beat the story in 2 hours[/QUOTE]

That would be a speedrun. You can also beat Super Mario Bros. in under 6 minutes.

Planned on playing one level last night with my son thinking it would be about 20 minutes...Level 7: Wilikin Village. Took us at least 45 can't-stay-up-past-your-bedtime-AGAIN minutes to thoroughly beat. These longer levels make the lack of save-anywhere a bit annoying, but it's still a great game.

Giants is also more challenging. We play on normal, and the other night I barely made it through to the end of a level with red-blinking health after all of our other 10 Skylanders were killed.

As cool as he looks, Ignitor is the worst for kids. His average arrival-to-death time is between 2-15 seconds if we're in a tough spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only bummer about getting a Giants starter is that you can't just get the first game in a disc-only version. If you get the first one, you can at least get the Portal Owner's Pack for the second. Still happy I got the Giants starter for

The first Skylanders lasted me between 10-12 hours... Of course I did do some grinding, some of the challenges, and I did have all of the level expansions. I don't even have kids and I enjoyed it, and I'm 24! It's a solid little action RPG. I don't have Giants yet but I'll pick it up as soon as it goes on sale.

bread's done
Back