Singularity, Red Faction: Arma (PS3), Rise of Nightmares (360), Blood Drive (360) $10

Bosamba

CAGiversary!
Discounted prices are valid till 12/5/2012.

$9.99 :shipfree:
:ps3: Red Faction: Armageddon
:ps3: Singularity
:360: Singularity
:360: Rise of Nightmares
:360: Blood Drive

(I'm including the article that convinced me to give Singularity a shot for others who haven't tried this game yet.)
Do not let Activision bury Singularity. It's fantastic and you need to play it

"The chances are you’ve already forgotten that Raven Software's Singularity exists. To honest, I’ve only remained aware of it because a notorious press demo last year, which portrayed it as a BioShock rip-off so shameless that myself and a colleague nearly passed out with disbelief.

Since then, every screenshot has seemed to confirm my incredulous reaction, and Activision has done a grand slice of bugger all to promote the game to us. No preview events. No preview code sent to the office. Barely a peep about it at all. It’s not even on the front page of Activision’s website. And it’s out today in Europe and on Tuesday in the US. Naturally, I assumed it was a clunker.

But then earlier this week I got to play it, and found out that it’s fantastic, inventive, refreshing, brutal, and frankly, the most fun I’ve had with an FPS in a long time. You need to know about it. So I'm telling you about it.

Why you don’t know about it
I don’t blame you if you’re not aware of the game. Like I said, it’s had nothing in the way of promotion, and images like the one above make it look like a me-too BioShock clone too cynical for even God himself to imagine. With no direct experience of the game, we were left with that (deeply false) impression right up until this week. But it’s an impression that only relates to the tiniest bit of Singularity’s surface gloss. There’s immensely more going on in this game, and it’s all very, very good.

Why it’s brilliant
There’s a massive irony with Singularity that I have to get out of the way right now. The fact is that while it doesn’t play like BioShock at all, it absolutely is a game made up of borrowed elements. But the ideas it chooses to take, and the skill and imagination with which they’re combined, make it not a shameless retread, but a gleefully fresh cocktail of the FPS genre’s disparate best bits, blended to a brand new, incredibly tasty flavour.

A small dash of BioShock’s visuals and faded ‘50s kitsch. A big splash of Half-Life 2’s fast-flowing, creative combat and savvy environmental puzzling. Squeeze in a wedge of F.E.A.R.’s time-bending spectacle and crush in some breathlessly paced variety and set-pieces, and you have not only an incredibly hackneyed games journalism cliché, but a game that simultaneously pays tribute to and adds to the best moments in first-person shooting to date.

In this age of increasingly dull pseudo-realistic military shooters and overly-orchestrated, plodding, shooting-gallery-style combat, Raven’s game is an exhilarating kick up the arse to the days before Call of Duty became everyone’s standard shooter model. It has a monstrously infectious ‘more is more’ philosophy to gameplay mechanics. It’s the kind of game that lets you kill 20 different enemies 20 different ways in under a minute, via creative combinations of its cleverly complimenting weapons and gadgets.

You can slow down time for individual enemies, leaving everything else (including yourself) running at full speed. You can throw time dilation bubbles into the combat area, turning bad guys into frozen sitting ducks. You can pump them full of bullets, then deactivate the bubble and watch as every shot catches up at the same time. You can use that same bubble as a shield, to slow down incoming fire.

You can rapidly age enemies to death. You can devolve them into zombies and let them do the work for you. You can shockwave them into the air. You can shockwave them into the air, freeze them in time, then devolve them into zombies, and unfreeze them just as one of their friends gets close. Oh, and did I mention that you also have a gravity gun? And a sniper rifle with bullets you can steer manually? And a railgun that works like Gears of War’s Torque Bow? And that every skirmish area is a wide, multi-levelled playground of tactical angles of attack, designed to bring out every ounce of creative violence in your body?

If you’re feverishly thinking ‘Half-Life 2’ here, you’re right. Singularity is the first non-Valve FPS in years that has come close to evoking that particular brand of clever, inventive, fast-flowing brutality known as ‘Going Gordon Freeman on someone’s ass’. And it has a remarkably good, time-zone-hopping storyline as well, which manages to be high-concept and engaging, while remaining pacey and fun. Even if it does shamelessly borrow a couple of H-L2’s character archetypes along the way.

But the shamelessness of Singularity’s influences really doesn’t matter, however obvious they are to a genre-savvy FPS player. In fact they’re part of the fun. It’s one big mega-mix love-in that brings together the previously separated elements of so many games you love and makes them work cohesively together for the first time. So well in fact, that it almost makes them feel completely new. Don’t let mystifying lack of fanfare put you off. It’s an absolute stormer and you need to give it your time."

Last edited by a moderator:
Singularity is a good FPS, if you don't mind that it's heavily influenced by BioShock. Rise of Nightmares is supposed to be pretty crappy gameplay-wise, but it's something for Kinect that's not a dance game or minigame collection. Red Faction: Armageddon wasn't as good as the previous one, Two Worlds 2 is better than the first but still not great. Trials/Limbo/Splosion 3-pack is absolutely worth it. Never heard of Blood Drive.

I bought Singularity at full price and enjoyed it. Get the game for sure!

Oh, and that Two Worlds 2 game is PC only for the $10.00 ...Wish it were Xbox!

[quote name='gotdott']popping in to give +1 recommendation for singularity as i always do[/QUOTE]

Yes, Singularity is great.

minecraftq.jpg

I just finished singularity about a week ago. Get it, it's great. My only problem at all with the game was no option for subtitles. Gave me a little motion sickness as well, but nothing some ginger root capsules/ benadryl or dramamine won't fix.

[quote name='InvaderZim']Yes, Singularity is great.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why you keep spamming the picture of Abe and Rebecca.

[quote name='Be3fJerky']Anyone know if Singularity has been cheaper? Swear to god Gamefly has had it for like $7-$9 with FS?[/QUOTE]

This ships free to. Why not $10 for a brand new copy?

[quote name='Blaster man']Two Worlds 2 and the trials, limbo, splosion man triple pack also.

anyone know if Rise of Nightmares is any good?[/QUOTE]

I played through about 70% of it before I traded it in (to take advantage of high value and promotion at Best Buy). Game is decent, but the controls can be tiring at times as well (detections isn't 100%). Lot of cool weapons and slashing. I think it would have turned out pretty well had they allowed the option to play with a controller in addition to the Kinect controls.

Think I might pick it back up at this price to finish it (and get the Avatar awards linked to it).

[quote name='Blaster man']Castlevania should be added to the OP.
[/QUOTE] All the other games that people have listed are either Newegg's normal price, or under different promotions. The games I've posted are for this promotion only and the sale ends 12/5.

[quote name='Blaster man']Who are those people?[/QUOTE] I don't know either. I don't watch TV besides PBS so that may have something to do with my lack of reality show knowledge.
Edit: Quick Google search shows they were shown on a reality show called "Breaking Amish." I dealt with with real life Amish people back in 1999. I don't know how they're being portrayed on the show, but I found them to be among the most humble and hardest working people I've ever met.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']I played through about 70% of it before I traded it in (to take advantage of high value and promotion at Best Buy). Game is decent, but the controls can be tiring at times as well (detections isn't 100%). Lot of cool weapons and slashing. I think it would have turned out pretty well had they allowed the option to play with a controller in addition to the Kinect controls.

Think I might pick it back up at this price to finish it (and get the Avatar awards linked to it).[/QUOTE]

Okay so it's worth it for $10 then. Is the game on rails?

[quote name='Blaster man']Okay so it's worth it for $10 then. Is the game on rails?[/QUOTE]

This questions begs the answer: Try the demo! It's not on rails (it does have a semi-autopilot for some areas), but it's definitely something you should try out first. I wanted to like the game so much but I can't see myself playing it for more than an hour total. That still puts it higher than Haunt, which I could only stand for 10 minutes.

[quote name='Be3fJerky']Anyone know if Singularity has been cheaper? Swear to god Gamefly has had it for like $7-$9 with FS?[/QUOTE]

That was like a year or two ago, doubt gamefly will be including it in sales anymore considering how old it is. Might as well jump on this because you're not going to find it new in many places at this price point

[quote name='gotdott']That was like a year or two ago, doubt gamefly will be including it in sales anymore considering how old it is. Might as well jump on this because you're not going to find it new in many places at this price point[/QUOTE]
Or used either.

[quote name='roedaniel19']This ships free to. Why not $10 for a brand new copy?[/QUOTE]
cuz my backlog is hugee and I'm a CAG, why not get it for cheaper if you can?

Nice.. Rise of Nightmare is finally at my price point.. but I've heard it was really bad, so I'll probably pass.

[quote name='Be3fJerky']cuz my backlog is hugee and I'm a CAG, why not get it for cheaper if you can?[/QUOTE]So you're going to troll for a $1? :roll:

The demo for Rise of Nightmares is enough, imo. No need to buy the game...you'll get all your enjoyment for what the game is simply by playing the demo over and over. It's not like you'll be hooked on the story.

Rise of Nightmares, to me, felt like the old PS1 days of seedy "scare" games like that banned fighting game Thrill Kill. The "atmosphere" of the game is very much like those. Not a lot of production value...

[quote name='Be3fJerky']cuz my backlog is hugee and I'm a CAG, why not get it for cheaper if you can?[/QUOTE]

http://www.gohastings.com/product/GAME/Singularity/sku/281438007.uts

Used copy for $5.49 + 2.28 shipping. Or you can wait for the free shipping promo that they run every so often and hope that it's in stock. It's common knowledge that buying used from goHastings is a gamble so YMMV.

Your other option is to see if you have a Sears near you that carries it. Doubtful if they have any in stock because they were clearanced out a long time ago for as low as $3.97 (?) or something.

Still recommend this game new over saving a few bucks.

[quote name='KryllFood']The demo for Rise of Nightmares is enough, imo. No need to buy the game...you'll get all your enjoyment for what the game is simply by playing the demo over and over. It's not like you'll be hooked on the story.

Rise of Nightmares, to me, felt like the old PS1 days of seedy "scare" games like that banned fighting game Thrill Kill. The "atmosphere" of the game is very much like those. Not a lot of production value...[/QUOTE]

I guess I'll pass on it then. Any opinions on Two Worlds 2? I played the first and it was pretty bad.

[quote name='Blaster man']I guess I'll pass on it then. Any opinions on Two Worlds 2? I played the first and it was pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

Second game is leaps and bounds improved compared to the first, but it's still pretty clunky in parts. The spell system is pretty interesting, but I would recommend you check out some gameplay videos to see if it's your cup of tea.

[quote name='roedaniel19']I just finished singularity about a week ago. Get it, it's great. My only problem at all with the game was no option for subtitles. Gave me a little motion sickness as well, but nothing some ginger root capsules/ benadryl or dramamine won't fix.[/QUOTE]

The game should have a "Benadryl not included" tag?
I got motion sickness from Stacking and Iron Brigade. I think I'll stay clear of this one.

[quote name='gotdott']http://www.gohastings.com/product/GAME/Singularity/sku/281438007.uts

Used copy for $5.49 + 2.28 shipping. Or you can wait for the free shipping promo that they run every so often and hope that it's in stock. It's common knowledge that buying used from goHastings is a gamble so YMMV.

Your other option is to see if you have a Sears near you that carries it. Doubtful if they have any in stock because they were clearanced out a long time ago for as low as $3.97 (?) or something.

Still recommend this game new over saving a few bucks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd def pay the extra $1 for the new copy. If you want used get it from Gamefly. Atleast you get everything with it including the online passes. Gohastings is terrible.

[quote name='ooga']The game should have a "Benadryl not included" tag?
I got motion sickness from Stacking and Iron Brigade. I think I'll stay clear of this one.[/QUOTE]
It isn't any worse than other FPS's for people with motion problems. Singularity really is one of the best games of 2010.

I bit on Rise of Nightmares. I have had it for about 2 months during that free Blockbuster rental thing because it was one of the few games that was ever available. This way I can send it back and try to rent something else that will be out of stock for 4 months. $10 was the exact price I was waiting on, new copy? Winner. I also enjoyed Haunt by the way. Quirky, funny, neat use of Kinect IMO.

Definitely give Singularity a try guys. Its an overlooked game but one of the best I played. What makes it great is the Bioshock feel. It also helps that you're practically a God with your powers. xD

[quote name='Scorch']I don't understand why you keep spamming the picture of Abe and Rebecca.[/QUOTE]

Probably because Rebecca is cute, although somewhat jailbait-ish?

Note: About a third of Singularity's achievements are linked to MP, which is pretty much dead for obvious reasons. Letting you achievement whores know now before you rage later.

If enough people pick this up and enjoy it, we can get a CAG group going for the MP. It has a L4D feel to it, in the same way Dead Space 2 tried to emulate, and I thought it was pretty fun actually.

[quote name='gotdott']Note: About a third of Singularity's achievements are linked to MP, which is pretty much dead for obvious reasons. Letting you achievement whores know now before you rage later.

If enough people pick this up and enjoy it, we can get a CAG group going for the MP. It has a L4D feel to it, in the same way Dead Space 2 tried to emulate, and I thought it was pretty fun actually.[/QUOTE]

I checked MP and only 1 person was there. :lol:

Singularity is well worth $10. As is Castlevania, and I wouldn't mind getting it again.

Blood Drive I absolutely could not stand, do not roll the dice on this one.

[quote name='destro4eva']Singularity is well worth $10. As is Castlevania, and I wouldn't mind getting it again.

Blood Drive I absolutely could not stand, do not roll the dice on this one.[/QUOTE]

I love the signature. LOL@earthbound HD

[quote name='ooga']The game should have a "Benadryl not included" tag?
I got motion sickness from Stacking and Iron Brigade. I think I'll stay clear of this one.[/QUOTE]

If you get motion sickness easily, as I do, I highly suggest trying ginger root capsules. They work just as good as motion sickness medications, but with no side effects. If I'm going to play a game that gives me trouble, I take one about an hour before I play, and then another right when I start the game. I never have any trouble. It's rather inexpensive as well.

If Singularity had come out the week before Bioshock it would be held in high regards as a generation transforming game, but it came out after and has been plagued with comparisons.
Bioshock is one of the greatest games this generation, Singularity is great... just not as great.

[quote name='destro4eva']Singularity is well worth $10. As is Castlevania, and I wouldn't mind getting it again.

Blood Drive I absolutely could not stand, do not roll the dice on this one.[/QUOTE]

Blood Drive is the only one on the list I thought I might try. That bad, huh? Be aware I already have tried Singularity and it's pretty good. I've yet to finish it, however. Someday! :D But a large backlog of games to go still.

On another note, I love your signature! Such a great movie, and it made me laugh. :p

BTW, anyone played RF Armageddon? I loved Guerilla, but I've heard it's nothing like it. Have it but haven't played it yet.

[quote name='nixmahn']Probably because Rebecca is cute, although somewhat jailbait-ish?[/QUOTE]

lolwut? Not sure if serious.

If so, to each their own.

[quote name='daywalker2k2']Thanks op decided to try out Singularity Figures it was worth a shot![/QUOTE]

Just curious, why post a link to the same thread this message was posted in? Seems very unnecessary and frankly...weird.

bread's done
Back