Choosing which platform to buy each game for?

HeSaveDave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
So, like many of you, I own a PS3 and a 360. I've been wondering if there was a website that will compare each game and give you the pros and cons of buying a particular game for each platform. Graphics, bugs, extra content, etc. These are often things that I don't see mentioned in reviews. For instance. One of my favorite games ever is Red Dead Redemption. I grabbed it for 360 but it wasn't until much later that I found out that the PS3 version had extra content. I'd also like to see graphical comparisons, although this doesn't weight as heavily into my buying choice. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

I usually go 360 as I vastly prefer that controller, and if it's anything I'll play online I have friends I game with on 360 and have never played a PS3 game online in the year or so of having it.

I usually buy it for pc first because of the graphics and better prices unless I find out it is a horrible port. Plus I prefer Steam to XBL or PSN, and I can use my mouse and keyboard if it's an fps. For consoles only I just look up which version is better or has exclusives worth getting, but I tend to lean 360 because of the controller. It's hard to find a quick summary, it usually takes some searching.

I buy for both platforms but I prefer Xbox mainly due to tracking time and the Bethesda games works best on it and the controller.

Here's a great reference which links both to DigitalFoundry and Lens of Truth analyses (if available) for each game, with the former determining the "winner." The articles focus on graphics/performance but often mention content differences as well.

http://misterslimm.wordpress.com/360-vs-ps3/xbox-360-vs-ps3-head-to-head-face-off-results/

Earlier in the hardware cycle, there seemed to be much greater disparities between versions. Now, many of the games these sites analyze are considered to be a tie, either because the differences are so negligible or because each version has different strengths and weaknesses that aren't easily comparable (one might have better color while the other might have a better frame rate, so it boils down to personal preference).

For me, I set my own rules like keeping all the games within a series on the same console regardless of the analysis and sticking to PS3 only for fighting games because of the controller.

[quote name='tylerh1701']RDR has extra content on PS3?[/QUOTE]

I think it was just an extra hideout and outfit. They included it in the GOTY edition for 360.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I think it was just an extra hideout and outfit. They included it in the GOTY edition for 360.[/QUOTE]

I see. Thanks.

I tend to go with the PS3 which it seems is not the norm according to other posters. My surround sound is hooked up to my ps3 so that's why. I have gotten used to the ps3 controller over the years.

I use Eurogamer to help me decide which platform to buy a game on. They're unbiased and their face-offs are usually well done.

[quote name='BFBB Delicious']I only buy exclusives for PS3, and get multi platform games on 360.[/QUOTE]I'm the opposite. I have more friends and family members on PS3.

[quote name='buffdrew84']plus.... blu rays are very hard to scratch unlike dvds[/QUOTE]

This. I don't own an xbox360 any more though so it's not like I have the option. But it's not like I couldn't buy another either.

When I last had my xbox I got really heavy into the pirating scene and the mac address of my xbox got banned from online.

Even back then the PS3 was still hackable as I knew people irl that did it. I would borrow his only PS3 game and go home and play with that person online. Whom is the person who got me into pirating.

Though you still saw very little PS3 modding because it's 10x more complicated then pirating for xbox.

Both consoles can be modded today but it's a lot easier to do when the format is DVD over blu-ray. Not to mention my previous xbox360 RROD so I'm in no rush to get one as it would only be for exclusives.

With both consoles went on the market I was an xbox played that was during the time PS3 cost $600 bucks and even when it dropped to $400 it was a bit much. When the slim came out with $299.99 price tag I got one within days and sold my xbox and a couple games to a friend to help pay $100 off of the PS3. Since I joined the darkside I haven't looked back.

At one point since then I did purchase another xbox360 and took it home for one day and returned it the next day. Now I kind of want one again just for the choice.

For instance my PC isn't new enough to game on any more and I just had to settle on getting skyrim for PS3. Even has a Sony fanboy I know it's the worst version of the game.

If it's online, I go 360 as that's what I game with friends on. Have no friends gaming on the PS3 and I don't play with randoms.

If not, I just check reviews and see if one runs better (like Skyrim on 360). If not, I still lean 360 as I prefer the controller.

So I mainly just have the PS3 for its exclusives and PS+ freebies.

Don't care about Blurays. I don't scratch my games and I trade/sell games after beating them (never been a collector type). And few games are multi-disc and it's not a big deal to change discs one or twice through the course of a long game. And HDD installs have made that mostly moot anyway.

[quote name='dmaul1114']

Don't care about Blurays. I don't scratch my games and I trade/sell games after beating them (never been a collector type). [/QUOTE]

Even if you don't scratch them personally it's good for people who frequently buy used games, though.

True. I never do any more though. Used to use Goozex, but never get matched up for anything any more. I get pretty much everything new from Amazon, and mostly sell games on the Marketplace there after beating them.

[quote name='dmaul1114']True. I never do any more though. Used to use Goozex, but never get matched up for anything any more. I get pretty much everything new from Amazon, and mostly sell games on the Marketplace there after beating them.[/QUOTE]

If you can't get good deals on Amazon Marketplace checkout VGFive, you will have to work up a point balance but they actually have good games available right now for trade.

[quote name='camoor']If you can't get good deals on Amazon Marketplace checkout VGFive, you will have to work up a point balance but they actually have good games available right now for trade.[/QUOTE]

Are they games only, or also movies? I don't really want to build up any point balance on game trading sites as there's really not any games out I don't already have that I want and I kind of doubt I'll buy another console after this gen. So for now I prefer selling even if I don't get a lot, and low value things that aren't worth selling I just donate to Goodwill.

Is there a comparable website to trueachievements.com for the PS3? TA does a lot of things well, but it's the ability to facilitate the creation of gaming sessions that is truly awesome. I'd love to find something similar for the PS3.

bread's done
Back