The Xbox 720 Is Coming Sooner Than Anyone Anticipated

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!
Do not want until a half decent library surfaces. The only launch title that could possibly change my mind besides Fallout 4 is (god forbid...) Bioshock Infinite.

You meant to say: "Missed getting my preorder in, dodged a bullet watching 30-50% of the new XBoxes go up in smoke..."

[quote name='GUNNM']If there's no BC I won't even buy it[/QUOTE]

With so much spent on digital games and DLC I'd be really upset if they don't at least offer a version of the next Xbox with 100% bc. I'd gladly pay more for the feature. I know there is a group that will just say leave your 360 plugged in. But f that. I love being able to jump from game to game without having to shut one down and power up the other. Not to mention avoiding unnecessary clutter.

+1 for the BC camp as well. One of the reasons I bought a PS3 was for BC. Never got a version of that so it's no surprise mine is a $300 black paperweight. Reeeeeeaaaalllllyyy need to sell this bitch.

BC is a must for me too. I may wait a year anyway, though, for a price drop or at least larger library to choose from. But who knows. Also the rumors that you can't play used games has to prove to not be true. If they are blocking out the used game market I don't know if I'm going to go there at all.

Do we even know anything about the 720 besides what has been rumored? It's not like MS is marketing it now, so with a little more than a year until it is supposed to be released we should have heard something. If these reports are accurate it seems like it would be a rush-job. After the RROD problems I am leery about buying a 1st Run Console from MS; especially if it's what I personally perceive to be a rush-job.

And as far as Backwards Compatibility goes I'd be really annoyed if they don't have a system in place for the digital content. I play Carcassonne every day.

I am not sure 8 years between consoles are a rush job. The secrecy is mostly due to MS not wanting to tip their hand. The 360 is still selling really well and I am sure they do not want to lose sales by announcing the new system too early. If anything, waiting till the system is almost 100% ready is the way to go before showing it off. Look at the 2011 E3 when Nintendo showed off the Wii U 18 months before release. It was a very luke warm reception and created more question than hype for the system.

The 360 was shown at the 2005 E3 also, the same year it released so this would be nothing new for MS.

Will M$ finally bow down and admit blu-ray format is a better format? If so I could see why BC isn't possible and will accept it. The only way I'll buy the console if it doesn't have BC

bluray wasn't even done (specs kept changing) by the time the 360 was released so it was a nonfactor. they weren't going to wait a year and release at the same time as the ps3 just to have bluray. and the decision worked out in their favor.

the next Xbox may or may not have it. it'll definitely have a large capacity drive. but it could be just a large capacity disc rather than bluray, if anything, to skip out on the royalty fees.

and the big reasons Microsoft had against bluray in the first place was 1) that bluray did not want to include managed copy (the ability to make copies of the disc) and 2) bluray would not allow iHD for interactivity and would only allow the java-based BD-J.

later on, bluray would also include managed copy but not before it was way too late for Microsoft to consider it.

If they don't go blu ray they should go a 3 disc in one hard drive route so you don't need to switch discs to play games like FFX13. ^_^

I'm not sure how people are so surprised by this... They have been manufacturing the boards for almost a year now in quanities that would all but confirm dev units were being produced and possibly sent out. It will be interesting to see if they got the issues sorted out with the boards in order to get enough units manufactured by what a few places have speculated as a September 2013 release.

If anything they may have taken too long to get this rolling. Especially with the PS4 or "Orbis" dev kits already out.

Do not want until my 360 backlog is whittled down. So like in 4 years. :lol:

Of course they're probably going to announce Mass Effect 4 as a launch title for the new console so my plan will be ruined.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Do not want until my 360 backlog is whittled down. So like in 4 years. :lol:

Of course they're probably going to announce Mass Effect 4 as a launch title for the new console so my plan will be ruined.[/QUOTE]Assuming it's not an EA-created mess as a cash grab, of course.

[quote name='shrike4242']Assuming it's not an EA-created mess as a cash grab, of course.[/QUOTE]
Come on, like you wouldn't still buy it anyway.

Eh, I'll probably pick one up a year or two after launch. New consoles always need time to build up a library and work out any issues the launch units may (and probably will) have. Still, I think MS learned their lesson with the RROD. Don't think the new system will have a problem as widespread and massive as that. MS probably lost millions just replacing the defective units.

Disc backwards compatibility doesn't matter to me, but if there is no GoD/XBLA/DLC backwards compatibility I will be done with Microsoft and possibly console gaming altogether.

If MS doesn't go backwards I *MAY* consider just going the PC route from here on. I spent a god damn killtacular amount on 360 games, DLC and XBLA titles. To not be able to carry over DLC and XBLA titles is a crime in itself. Since DLC is tied to older games working all games have to work in general. I've also spent a few dollars on Games on Demand titles.

With that said I believe everyone was expecting holiday 2013 but I could be wrong. A few months earlier would not shock me.

This is not the same situation as the XBox 1. Y? Because DLC was very limited in those games, and a majority of them were for free. This is a situation where people have spent a lot of money on digital content and it should be backwards.

Again, if MS doesn't go backwards I (and a few others) will seriously consider switching sides. It would be a great insult to their costumers. Especially those that spent a lot of money on digital content.

Let's not forget the fact a lot of us bought multiple 360s due to the RROD problem.

Yeah not really a surprise, showing at next E3 and release system holiday of next year. Currious how they'll handle backwards compatibility, cloud computing and of course IPTV. Oh and of course seeing a new and improved Kinect, like what was leaked like encasing the entire room with a display.

I'll own it day one.

If they were smart, they would follow the "basic" and "deluxe" route (I know, it was Arcade and Elite, etc) like when the 360 was released.

"Basic" would be the system with a small hard drive, no BC included.
"Deluxe" would be the system with a large hard drive, BC included.

It would cater to both markets (those who care, those who don't) and there would be no bitching about it.... wait, who am I kidding, there will always be bitching.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Still, I think MS learned their lesson with the RROD.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Let's not forget the fact a lot of us bought multiple 360s due to the RROD problem.[/QUOTE]

This is where I feel paranoid. I think gaming companies might look at that and see that as long as you have decent software, the hardware doesn't always need to be reliable. I know people will disagree with what I'm saying, but I can't see how.

The 360 Red Light of Death issue became apparent just a year after the launch of the system, yet it still sold well. Microsoft did offer that 3 year warranty for that specific issue, but only after a lawsuit and settlement to avoid bad public image, and then were able to spin it to them being nice enough to cover their rushed system.

This is the first generation I've ever sold or traded-in my games because I know that in five years the system probably won't be functioning. I've never experienced that with any of my other consoles. My brother's PS2 had the disc read error happen, which apparently was common, but he still bought a PS3, which has had Yellow Light of Death issues for many people.

Like above, when I had two Xbox 360's red light on me I did the 'smart' thing and traded in the refurbished model Microsoft sent me for the brand new 360-S that GameStop had the promo running for. I later felt like an idiot, wondering why I was willing to buy another, redesigned system that hadn't been proven, when my previous experiences had both failed on me. Addiction to games? My Live had already been paid for? The abundance of unfinished or unplayed games I had? I can't decide.

I keep telling myself to just play what I have now, finish all the games I currently have, and by that point in 'next gen' I should be able to see who has good games and a reliable console. But I still feel concerned that there isn't really a need to have a dependable machine if you know people will buy a replacement or redesign. I'm not saying that all gamers or consumers will do this, but it doesn't seem like it's a small group that would buy a replacement gaming system rather than abandon it, either. I'm also not saying that console makers will intentionally make defective machines, but I can't see them being too concerned with the quality when they're aware that when they catch you with their games, you'll buy another system to keep playing them.

I don't know, I think Microsoft knows that the RROD was a giant PR black eye for them. Hopefully they learn from Sony that being complacent at the start of a new generation is the way to lose your lead.

I really wish we knew about BC right now. Every other spec can wait, but I really want to know about BC. If this new system wasn't BC, I think I would seriously consider canceling most or all of my 2013 360 preorders. I would also start weeding games out of my existing collection immediately. I am absolutely not the guy who keeps old hardware around.

I'm also really curious about the first party launch exclusives. They just released a Halo game and the latest Gears game comes out in the first quarter, but from a different studio. I guess turn 10 could be working on a proper Forza sequel since another studio did Horizon. I'm guessing a significant amount of the exclusives are going to be Kinect garbage. What if every new XBox comes with a Kinect? Will Rare and Twisted Pixel continue to be wasted by having them make Kinect games that nobody wants to play?

I don't know the math on this, but if it even remotely makes financial sense, I would get season 2 of Telltale's The Walking Dead as a timed exclusive for the new XBox with episode 1 available at launch.

Fortnight at launch would be potentially great as well.

There's too many 360 games I still need to play. I won't be buying the new system for a while. Hopefully there's massive discounts on 360 games after the 720 is released. :)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I don't know, I think Microsoft knows that the RROD was a giant PR black eye for them. Hopefully they learn from Sony that being complacent at the start of a new generation is the way to lose your lead.[/QUOTE]
I'd like to believe that, and hopefully you're right. I do wonder how many will hold off from purchasing the next Xbox early because of what happened this generation, though.

Fall 2013 is exactly when I expect it.

[quote name='GUNNM']Will M$ finally bow down and admit blu-ray format is a better format? [/QUOTE]
Has Blu-ray become faster since the PS3 was released? If not, I wouldn't want to see anything running from DVD or Blu-ray, and would prefer they just install everything to the hard drive.

I'm home sick and wanted to play TTT2. Half an hour later I'm still downloading a system update which I'm sure adds nothing. That's the main reason I can't see getting the 720.
Oh wait there are commercials on the launch page now great.

bread's done
Back