Dark Souls $15.99 FSSS Amazon PS3+360

Is there supposed to be a GOTY version of this or something that could potentially release? I know PC has Prepare To Die edition, were there console plans for that?

Damn it to hell with this game! why must it keep being thrown in my face. I have been curious as hell about this game for ages now seems like. On the other hand, I'm super worried I will hate it. Why....Someone please tell me WHY I should get this game.

[quote name='krashhole']Damn it to hell with this game! why must it keep being thrown in my face. I have been curious as hell about this game for ages now seems like. On the other hand, I'm super worried I will hate it. Why....Someone please tell me WHY I should get this game.[/QUOTE]

because its one of the best games ever made:). I'm not much of a rpg/jrpg player so at first I wasn’t expecting much of this game boy I am glad that I gave this game a try. Up until now I still have no idea why I love this game this much.

Sorry, I am not paying money to get pissed off.

And the more that people say, "No, it's not that bad. You gotta try it." the more I don't want to. Those people remind me of kids who try to convince you to smoke and do drugs.

(But seriously, good deal. And I'm still not getting it.)

[quote name='CaseX']. Those people remind me of kids who try to convince you to smoke and do drugs[/QUOTE] you're missin out man...

[quote name='KonohaShinobi']Is there supposed to be a GOTY version of this or something that could potentially release? I know PC has Prepare To Die edition, were there console plans for that?[/QUOTE]

The console Prepare to Die edition was released in UK and Europe but not in the US. I am Waiting for a good deal on the ps3 version from Zavvi. I may have to wait at least a couple more months.

My instinct says get it, my gut feeling is screaming RAGE! lol This game without a doubt has made me wonder like no other game. Screw it, I'm picking it up. Worse to worse, my 14yr old son will like it.

I do not normally come on and endorse games but for this, I have to. This game is frustrating but so rewarding. The atmosphere and overall setting is something that has to be experienced. I played this on PC, but still a similar experience. Eat take out a few times less this month and pick this game up for 16 bucks you won't regret it!

[quote name='4tygames']The console Prepare to Die edition was released in UK and Europe but not in the US. I am Waiting for a good deal on the ps3 version from Zavvi. I may have to wait at least a couple more months.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it a safe bet the Prepare to Die edition is coming here? Also, wouldn't the UK PS3 version work on an American PS3 just fine?

Yeah, buy this. The sense of accomplishment I got from completing numerous challenges in the game was unlike any other game I've played.

It's wrong to rage during it. Even when you die, you're learning something. Dying isn't even a waste of time because you're getting better and learning. Also, be aware that when you die, it's your fault. There aren't any truly cheap deaths: you were either not paying attention or bit off more than you could chew.

The best way I got away from rage was don't even think about the souls you have in your possession. They're not even really yours until they're spent. Souls can be farmed pretty easily, so it's not a big deal to lose some.

If you have a choice, the 360 version is the better version in my opinion since the PS3 pvp seems more laggy, and there are some graphical glitches there as well. This is coming from someone who platted the PS3, 1000/1000 the Xbox, and is currently working on 1000/1000 the PC version. Yes, I bought it THREE times - mainly to see if there were differences in the PVP. The main difference is that there doesn't seem to be many players in the PC version. :(

Lastly, I want to mention that the game has a reputation for being difficult, but the way around something too difficult for you is to level yourself up, or summon someone to help clear and area and kill a boss!

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who has owned and beaten Demons' Souls and Dark Souls, I'd recommend this game to anyone that's a fan of the RPG or even action genres. The game's known to be difficult, but I found this one much easier than its predecessor. Also, as Ubdu mentioned, the satisfaction you get from learning, adapting, and overcoming a really difficult boss fight is crazy. Some of the fights are ridiculous, but 90% of the time it's a technique problem, not a level or equipment problem, which adds that much more to the game's depth.

I'm not gonna say "you should get this game because it's difficult and fun and the best ever", but if you've ever thought to yourself "man, games this generation are a cakewalk compared to the SNES/64/PS1 days" then you owe it to yourself to try Dark Souls out. If you appreciate a good challenge, this is the way to go. And if you wind up liking it, look into Demons' Souls too.

Graphics are pretty similar between the two systems, but if you have both systems I would recommend the PS3 version as the original was on that system so more people bought the sequel for that system so the online is more active on PS3 at least at the last time I played it about 5 months ago.

Not directly related to this deal, but FYI the DLC is semi-broken on PS3. Certain graphical effects flicker in and out of existence when playing online (including player messages and soul signs...and even a certain enemy type that you encounter towards the end of the DLC). You are forced to play offline in order to avoid this.

Konami has acknowledged this issue and I can only assume are working on a patch to fix it.

[quote name='CaseX']Sorry, I am not paying money to get pissed off.

And the more that people say, "No, it's not that bad. You gotta try it." the more I don't want to. Those people remind me of kids who try to convince you to smoke and do drugs.

(But seriously, good deal. And I'm still not getting it.)[/QUOTE]

Dude you should totally try some drugs. Drugs are the best. So is dark souls. It's my third favorite PS3 game dude.

MGS4, demons souls, dark souls = THE BEST of PS3.

You really should try some drugs though. They are good for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkTklehHaDY

And dark souls isn't a hard game. That gets overrated by casuals.

[quote name='frankmackeyspam']Not directly related to this deal, but FYI the DLC is semi-broken on PS3. Certain graphical effects flicker in and out of existence when playing online (including player messages and soul signs...and even a certain enemy type that you encounter towards the end of the DLC). You are forced to play offline in order to avoid this.

Konami has acknowledged this issue and I can only assume are working on a patch to fix it.[/QUOTE]

You sure we are playing the same game lol? JK probably a typo but if not it's "from software".

[quote name='frankmackeyspam']Not directly related to this deal, but FYI the DLC is semi-broken on PS3. Certain graphical effects flicker in and out of existence when playing online (including player messages and soul signs...and even a certain enemy type that you encounter towards the end of the DLC). You are forced to play offline in order to avoid this.

Konami has acknowledged this issue and I can only assume are working on a patch to fix it.[/QUOTE]

Finished the DLC on PS3 and had no problems playing online. The summon signs were there and invasions were plentiful.

My favorite Dark Soul story is when I read a guy bought it used at GS. He died a lot and decided to return it. The next week he kept thinking about Dark Souls and realized he actually needed this game cause it was too addicting.

This game is just a learning process that's too rewarding.

Sweet. It will be here Tuesday. I got the 360 version because I can't stand using the ps3 controllers. Any tips or suggestions when playing Dark Souls?

I want this game injected directly into my veigns however I am moving this weekend and won't have internet for at least a few weeks.

[quote name='Bumslie']Finished the DLC on PS3 and had no problems playing online. The summon signs were there and invasions were plentiful.

My favorite Dark Soul story is when I read a guy bought it used at GS. He died a lot and decided to return it. The next week he kept thinking about Dark Souls and realized he actually needed this game cause it was too addicting.

This game is just a learning process that's too rewarding.[/QUOTE]

The glitch probably doesn't affect everyone. The first hour or so of playtime I put into the DLC were fine, but then it started to glitch out on me:

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51620/t1791197-dlc-glitch/

[quote name='rbanez']because its one of the best games ever made
wink.gif
. I'm not much of a rpg/jrpg player so at first I wasn’t expecting much of this game boy I am glad that I gave this game a try. Up until now I still have no idea why I love this game this much.[/QUOTE]

damn i might give it a shot then, im usually FPS or nothing...

[quote name='mtlgamerz']damn i might give it a shot then, im usually FPS or nothing...[/QUOTE]
It's less of a JRPG and more of a Western-style action RPG like the Elders Scroll (Oblivion / Skyrim) series. In the Elders Scroll series the world and lore are the star of the show, and the gameplay (IE combat) takes a back seat. Dark Souls / Demon's Souls is kinda the inverse. The core combat and difficulty are the core focus and while the environments are varied and moody, they are not to the scale and largeness of the Elder Scroll Series. In both Soul games there are bits and pieces of story, you are just a lone warrior making your way through a land which has been 95% ravaged by evil with pockets of humanity. I lost interest fairly quickly in Oblivion since the combat is so meh and I HATED the leveling system, but the two souls games kept my interest for quite awhile.

Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, God of War etc. are more focused on taking on a great amount of enemies and raking up combos through a flurry of attacks, closer to button mashing. Dark Souls is more focused on skirmishes with you facing 1 vs 1-4 enemies in which you attack, dodge, block, then attack, etc. If you have ever played Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time they basically took that combat system (lock on to one enemy with ability to attack, block, dodge) and built onto it to make it deeper/more realistic.

Every time you block or attack you use up the replenishing stamina gauge. If the stamina gauge reaches zero you can't attack and your guard is broken causing you to be stunned. Every weapon has a 1-handed move set and then with a touch of a button, you can switch to two-handed which gives the weapon a new move set. You attack differently if you attack after dodging backward, dodging forward, dodging sideways, dashing forward, etc. Or if you want to be stealthy you can sneak around and go for backstabs which do quite a bit more damage. With a shield you can either block (and a % of the damage will deplete stamina instead of HP) or if you time it properly you can parry the enemy's attack and follow up with a counterattack which does quite a bit more damage.

===

As for starting tips I would say pick the pyromancer staring class. It's stat allocation gives you the maximum amount of customization of stat points. It also starts with a pyro flame (item which lets you cast ranged fire magic) which will make the start easier. One thing to keep in mind about classes, is they are just like starting packets of items and stat allocations, any class can learn any skill or use any item as effectively as any other class, so you could start as a magician but decided midway through to change to an archer, you are not locked into a certain style of play at the start of the game like in the Elder Scroll series.

This is high on my want list, but considering all that I have ordered the past few weeks..going to have to pass. Great value for what is sure to be a great game though.

So there is or isn't a GOTY edition coming out with the DLC at some point?

I've held off for ages on this one, and with my backlog as ridiculous as it is (thanks CAG!) I could wait a few more months to get the full package...

[quote name='guardian_owl']It's less of a JRPG and more of a Western-style action RPG like the Elders Scroll (Oblivion / Skyrim) series. In the Elders Scroll series the world and lore are the star of the show, and the gameplay (IE combat) takes a back seat. Dark Souls / Demon's Souls is kinda the inverse. The core combat and difficulty are the core focus and while the environments are varied and moody, they are not to the scale and largeness of the Elder Scroll Series. In both Soul games there are bits and pieces of story, you are just a lone warrior making your way through a land which has been 95% ravaged by evil with pockets of humanity. I lost interest fairly quickly in Oblivion since the combat is so meh and I HATED the leveling system, but the two souls games kept my interest for quite awhile.

Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, God of War etc. are more focused on taking on a great amount of enemies and raking up combos through a flurry of attacks, closer to button mashing. Dark Souls is more focused on skirmishes with you facing 1 vs 1-4 enemies in which you attack, dodge, block, then attack, etc. If you have ever played Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time they basically took that combat system (lock on to one enemy with ability to attack, block, dodge) and built onto it to make it deeper/more realistic.

Every time you block or attack you use up the replenishing stamina gauge. If the stamina gauge reaches zero you can't attack and your guard is broken causing you to be stunned. Every weapon has a 1-handed move set and then with a touch of a button, you can switch to two-handed which gives the weapon a new move set. You attack differently if you attack after dodging backward, dodging forward, dodging sideways, dashing forward, etc. Or if you want to be stealthy you can sneak around and go for backstabs which do quite a bit more damage. With a shield you can either block (and a % of the damage will deplete stamina instead of HP) or if you time it properly you can parry the enemy's attack and follow up with a counterattack which does quite a bit more damage.

===

As for starting tips I would say pick the pyromancer staring class. It's stat allocation gives you the maximum amount of customization of stat points. It also starts with a pyro flame (item which lets you cast ranged fire magic) which will make the start easier. One thing to keep in mind about classes, is they are just like starting packets of items and stat allocations, any class can learn any skill or use any item as effectively as any other class, so you could start as a magician but decided midway through to change to an archer, you are not locked into a certain style of play at the start of the game like in the Elder Scroll series.[/QUOTE]

Demons souls/ Dark souls is nothing like a WRPG. It's a JRPG.

I just hit my first 500 post topic on gamefaqs about how western gaming is runining the industry. Noobs these days calling mass effect and borderlands an rpg is the problem.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64734289

[quote name='Solder']So there is or isn't a GOTY edition coming out with the DLC at some point?

I've held off for ages on this one, and with my backlog as ridiculous as it is (thanks CAG!) I could wait a few more months to get the full package...[/QUOTE]
There are not plans in the immediate future to release a GOTY edition in the United States. If the game would just be tossed on the backlog you could hold out and wait to see if it will be released, but I kinda of figure if they were going to do that, they would of tried it for this holiday shopping season.

[quote name='Bumslie']Finished the DLC on PS3 and had no problems playing online. The summon signs were there and invasions were plentiful.

This game is just a learning process that's too rewarding.[/QUOTE]

How is a video game "rewarding"? Does the company cut you a check when you beat the game?

Amazon needs to get with the times and start offering free shipping on games like newegg

This Free Super Saver Shipping on 25 dollars or more is getting tired

[quote name='needler420']Demons souls/ Dark souls is nothing like a WRPG. It's a JRPG.

I just hit my first 500 post topic on gamefaqs about how western gaming is runining the industry. Noobs these days calling mass effect and borderlands an rpg is the problem.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64734289[/QUOTE]

I'm glad then that the industry is being ruined if you think Demon's / Dark Souls is anything like a JRPG.

Let me define something for you real quick...R...P...G...In case you didn't know, it stands for "role"..."playing"..."game". If you don't think Mass Effect is a role playing game, you've definitely got issues of denial. Games like borderlands, diablo, nwn, bg, etc are also their own kind of RPG, those are action rpgs.

Before you start calling out people as noobs with some high browed delusional perspective on the industry, you should make sure what you're saying is accurate.

Back on topic, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are incredibly great games. The way they merged multiplayer and single player into one seamless experience still has to be one of the most genius movements in game development in a long time.

I'd describe both games as RPG-focused hack 'n slash. Unlike typical HnS games, this one requires a lot of practice to master because the game holds nothing back in trying to kick your behind and it focuses on the player's skill rather than mashing buttons. Give it a try, for 16 bux, the worst that could happen is you dislike and recover full cost on ebay.

[quote name='ubdu']Yeah, buy this. The sense of accomplishment I got from completing numerous challenges in the game was unlike any other game I've played.

It's wrong to rage during it. Even when you die, you're learning something. Dying isn't even a waste of time because you're getting better and learning. Also, be aware that when you die, it's your fault. There aren't any truly cheap deaths: you were either not paying attention or bit off more than you could chew.

The best way I got away from rage was don't even think about the souls you have in your possession. They're not even really yours until they're spent. Souls can be farmed pretty easily, so it's not a big deal to lose some.

If you have a choice, the 360 version is the better version in my opinion since the PS3 pvp seems more laggy, and there are some graphical glitches there as well. This is coming from someone who platted the PS3, 1000/1000 the Xbox, and is currently working on 1000/1000 the PC version. Yes, I bought it THREE times - mainly to see if there were differences in the PVP. The main difference is that there doesn't seem to be many players in the PC version. :(

Lastly, I want to mention that the game has a reputation for being difficult, but the way around something too difficult for you is to level yourself up, or summon someone to help clear and area and kill a boss![/QUOTE]

3x Platnum? Damn dude you are boss. Also very nice opinion, I agree with everything you said. I would go as far as to say It's a crime not to at least give this game a good run at this price if you own a 360 or PS3.

[quote name='KryllFood']I'm glad then that the industry is being ruined if you think Demon's / Dark Souls is anything like a JRPG.

Let me define something for you real quick...R...P...G...In case you didn't know, it stands for "role"..."playing"..."game". If you don't think Mass Effect is a role playing game, you've definitely got issues of denial. Games like borderlands, diablo, nwn, bg, etc are also their own kind of RPG, those are action rpgs.

Before you start calling out people as noobs with some high browed delusional perspective on the industry, you should make sure what you're saying is accurate.

Back on topic, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are incredibly great games. The way they merged multiplayer and single player into one seamless experience still has to be one of the most genius movements in game development in a long time.

I'd describe both games as RPG-focused hack 'n slash. Unlike typical HnS games, this one requires a lot of practice to master because the game holds nothing back in trying to kick your behind and it focuses on the player's skill rather than mashing buttons. Give it a try, for 16 bux, the worst that could happen is you dislike and recover full cost on ebay.[/QUOTE]

I already know western influence is ruining gaming. Look at Resident evil 6 and DMC.

Capcom wants to cater to COD players because the USA/UK make the sales.

That's why my gamefaqs thread went to 500 posts. Getting a 500 post topic on gamefaqs isn't easy. I been trying since I'm 13 on multiple accounts.

Like I said the souls games are nothing like WRPG. Skyrim is a WRPG. Want to know how? Because the combat system is broken just like the whole game is.

When I think of Japanese games, I think of Mario, Link, Cloud, Crono, Moogles, Snake, Ryu, Ken, and on and on. So many memorable characters and creative fantasy worlds.

When I think of Western games, I think of faceless soldiers and generic men with guns, Tolkien ripoffs and lots of browngrey. I really want to like more Western games, but the lack of creativity and variety just bores me with most games. All the west has is Halo, Diablo, WOW, Doom, and Elder scrolls.

I should rephrase what I said. Rather then the industry being ruined it's being taken over by casual gamers who play the same sports game every year with a new roster and play the same COD game every year with new maps and weapons. Because those markets are so big that's what is catered to. Same casual players that go and call mass effect and borderlands and rpg.

You're the same kind of noob who reads what an RPG is off wikipedia and takes every mouthful of it.
Soon those same people will be calling COD a RPG because they can level up their guns and character and role play.

Such a joke.

[quote name='needler420']I already know western influence is ruining gaming. Look at Resident evil 6 and DMC.

That's why my gamefaqs thread went to 500 posts. Getting a 500 post topic on gamefaqs isn't easy. I been trying since I'm 13 on multiple accounts.

Like I said the souls games are nothing like WRPG. Skyrim is a WRPG. Want to know how? Because the combat system is broken just like the whole game is.

When I think of Japanese games, I think of Mario, Link, Cloud, Crono, Moogles, Snake, Ryu, Ken, and on and on. So many memorable characters and creative fantasy worlds.

When I think of Western games, I think of faceless soldiers and generic men with guns, Tolkien ripoffs and lots of browngrey. I really want to like more Western games, but the lack of creativity and variety just bores me with most games. All the west has is Halo, Diablo, WOW, Doom, and Elder scrolls.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... Someone hasn't played too many games, I think. The same can be said of your entire post, you can't think of one memorable character from a western-developed game? Really?

Also, no one gives a crap about your 500 post thread on gamefaqs. The fact that you've actually been trying to accomplish such a thing kinda comes across as a little pathetic. It also does nothing to validate your opinion, which as a matter of fact, is all it is - your opinion.

On topic, I'm severely tempted by this game... I guess I'll hold out for another version or an even cheaper price. It really is funny how much a few dollars can affect your mindset... At $12.99 I would have bought without a second though. :lol:

[quote name='Mixer236']Hmmm... Someone hasn't played too many games, I think. The same can be said of your entire post, you can't think of one memorable character from a western-developed game? Really?

Also, no one gives a crap about your 500 post thread on gamefaqs. The fact that you've actually been trying to accomplish such a thing kinda comes across as a little pathetic. It also does nothing to validate your opinion, which as a matter of fact, is all it is - your opinion.

On topic, I'm severely tempted by this game... I guess I'll hold out for another version or an even cheaper price. It really is funny how much a few dollars can affect your mindset... At $12.99 I would have bought without a second though. :lol:[/QUOTE]

The only name from a western video game that even comes to my thoughts is Gordon Freeman from valve's half life series. I never really liked the series either. I just remember it.

I wouldn't even remember that off the top of my head without google.

So yeah I never played a western game with memorizing characters.

There isn't much to go by considering the xbox was the first western console to actually be successful all the west did before that was develop some shitty games for Japanese consoles. Kind of like they still do now. Sega, Nintendo, Sony. What's the name of that western console again?

Master chief would be my next guess though I did already mention halo.

[quote name='Lord Hamm']Wow this thread derailed into a WRPG vs JRPG circlejerk fast

Oh dark souls, you so silly[/QUOTE]

It's not so much that for me (I love them both), I just can't believe he actually pretty much just said all western-developed games suck.

[quote name='needler420']The only name from a western video game that even comes to my thoughts is Gordon Freeman from valve's half life series. I never really liked the series either. I just remember it.

I wouldn't even remember that off the top of my head without google.

So yeah I never played a western game with memorizing characters.

There isn't much to go by considering the xbox was the first western console to actually be successful all the west did before that was develop some shitty games for Japanese consoles. Kind of like they still do now. Sega, Nintendo, Sony. What's the name of that western console again?

Master chief would be my next guess though I did already mention halo.[/QUOTE]

Yeesh... Okay, I'm done here.

[quote name='Mixer236']It's not so much that for me (I love them both), I just can't believe he actually pretty much just said all western-developed games suck.

Yeesh... Okay, I'm done here.[/QUOTE]

I never said all. Just most. I forgot to mention the company rare ( EU company). The west has that. Though to be fair since MS bought out rare the company went to shit.

It was good in the day of Banjo kazooie, Banjo tooie, Conkers bad fur day, diddy kong racing back when they were exclusive with Nintendo.

It's an example of MS ruining the few good things the west did develop. Just like Disney is going to ruin the star wars franchise.

Needler, go away. Nobody cares about gamefaqs topic counts or whatever. Your yapping has no relevance in here.

Here's somebody making a quick comment on their first DkS playthrough: http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/142jbi/just_beat_the_capra_demon/

"Killed the motherfucker!!!!! This is my first play through and i had been stuck on him since last night. He just kept killing me over and OVER, but from the moment i realized i had him on the ropes to that final fuckin plunge on his lil bull skull head was by far the greatest experience i have ever had in a video game."

[quote name='krashhole']Sweet. It will be here Tuesday. I got the 360 version because I can't stand using the ps3 controllers. Any tips or suggestions when playing Dark Souls?[/QUOTE]

As Guardian Owl said the Pyromancer class is a good one. The master key is a good item to start with cause you can unlock some doors sooner than later. If you get stuck don't forget about to use the Dark Souls Wiki.

[quote name='ubdu']Needler, go away. Nobody cares about gamefaqs topic counts or whatever. Your yapping has no relevance in here.

Here's somebody making a quick comment on their first DkS playthrough: http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/142jbi/just_beat_the_capra_demon/

"Killed the motherfucker!!!!! This is my first play through and i had been stuck on him since last night. He just kept killing me over and OVER, but from the moment i realized i had him on the ropes to that final fuckin plunge on his lil bull skull head was by far the greatest experience i have ever had in a video game."[/QUOTE]

Nobody cares about your stupid reddit post it has no relevance here.

Reddit> Gamefaqs = casuals.

That's why the noob kept getting killed like a noob.

On gamefaqs they actually understand the mechanics and character stats of the game. As sated it's casuals that over hype it's difficulty.

Not to say it's an easy game or anythiing like that. Just saying the difficulty is overrated. Much likes COD, Halo, Elder scrolls games are overrated for being good.

It's difficulty is actually so overrated it pushes and scares aware some people from being able to play a great game.

[quote name='needler420']I already know western influence is ruining gaming. Look at Resident evil 6 and DMC.

When I think of Western games, I think of faceless soldiers and generic men with guns, Tolkien ripoffs and lots of browngrey. I really want to like more Western games, but the lack of creativity and variety just bores me with most games. All the west has is Halo, Diablo, WOW, Doom, and Elder scrolls.

I should rephrase what I said. Rather then the industry being ruined it's being taken over by casual gamers who play the same sports game every year with a new roster and play the same COD game every year with new maps and weapons. Because those markets are so big that's what is catered to. Same casual players that go and call mass effect and borderlands and rpg.

You're the same kind of noob who reads what an RPG is off wikipedia and takes every mouthful of it.
Soon those same people will be calling COD a RPG because they can level up their guns and character and role play.

Such a joke.[/QUOTE]

So what is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?
Oh wait a WRPG with excellent combat...

[quote name='The Buffmuffin']So what is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?
Oh wait a WRPG with excellent combat...[/QUOTE]

Ita's a WRPG yes. I can't give my opinion on the combat system never watched game play of it nor have I played it.

I'm not a fan of western games as you can tell and certainly not western developed rpgs. I'm about to put up with Skyrim but I doubt ill enjoy the experience as much as I did the souls games.

In recent years, some have criticized Western RPGs for "becoming less RPG-like and more [like] true action games" due to the "removal of numbers and rules" that make "the genre an RPG." Christian Nutt of GameSpy has also stated that, in contrast to Japanese RPGs, Western RPGs' greater control over the development and customization of playable characters has come at the expense of plot and gameplay, resulting in generic dialogue, lack of character development within the narrative, and poor battle systems.[Nutt] It has also been argued that Western RPGs tend to focus more on the underlying rules governing the battle system rather than on the experience itself, and that Western RPGs as a whole are generally not as finely tuned and polished as their Japanese counterparts.[Nutt] Tom Battey of Edge Magazine noted that the problems often cited against Japanese RPGs (mentioned above) also often apply to many Western RPGs as well as games outside of the RPG genre. BioWare games have been criticized for "lack of innovation, repetitive structure and lack of real choice." Western RPGs, particularly Bethesda games, have also been criticized for being "derivative and over-played," focusing on "quantity over quality," lacking variety in dungeon designs, and lacking "narrative strength" or "mechanical intricacy."
It is not uncommon for Western RPGs to be called "crap games" by players in Japan, where the vast majority of console role-playing video games originate, and where Western RPGs remain largely unknown. The developer Motomu Toriyama also criticized Western RPGs, stating that they "dump you in a big open world, and let you do whatever you like [which makes it] difficult to tell a compelling story."[104] Hironobu Sakaguchi noted that "users like to categorise" Western RPGs as "a sort of different style, born from first person shooters."
Rowan Kaiser of Joystiq argues that many of the often mentioned differences between Eastern and Western games are stereotypes that are generally not true. Kaiser makes his case by pointing to the similarities between several Western titles (such as Lands of Lore, Betrayal at Krondor, and Dragon Age) and several classic Eastern titles (such as Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star), noting that these Western titles share a similar emphasis on linear storytelling, pre-defined characters, and, in some cases, "bright-colored" graphics

Please, go away, this thread isn't for your skewed hatred of Western RPG's.

I've played Demon's Souls...traded it in because it just had me so frustrated at one point I went and killed everyone in the Nexus so I wouldn't pick it up again.

With that said...I keep having this urge to get it and start it over. Maybe I'll pick this one up and see how long it takes me to break a controller.

bread's done
Back