Wii U back in stock @ Target

Depends on where you live. No target store near me has any in stock. Both Best Buy near my house don't have any in stock. Heck the GameStop I had my name on the waiting list hasn't called me about any stock.

I really just think it depends on where you live to be honest.

The time to report them being online somewhere, is when Newegg starts selling it straight up for $350. No tax for many. Unfortunately only sell it as a bundle. :(

[quote name='D.Choy']Depends on where you live. No target store near me has any in stock. Both Best Buy near my house don't have any in stock. Heck the GameStop I had my name on the waiting list hasn't called me about any stock.

I really just think it depends on where you live to be honest.[/QUOTE]

The shipments probably just haven't made it to your area yet. Every single nearby Target for me shows them in stock, I cannot believe that my area is just that lucky.

Just for kicks I checked out Ebay, looks like the only ones with bids are the ones at or below retail (or include games). Santa came early this year and he had a load of Wii Us in the sleigh ... :)

yeah these can be found pretty much everywhere around me. The two Gamestops around me have four of each version in stock since black Friday. When Ebay prices are priced retail then you know that demand on these are pretty much meeting the supply. Either way laughing at El Hoardo who believed that they can make a killing on these on Ebay.

I returned my black Wii U on Wednesday after my son says to me, I no longer want a Wii U for Christmas since there is only one good game for it (referring to Mario).

He told me to wait until there are more games and it gets cheaper. 11 year old CAG in training.

The Target I returned it to had 4 black Wii Us and 6 white on display.

I keep reading that these are rare and hard to find, and I really think it's overblown. Everytime I go out to Target, Walmart or Gamestop there are consoles available in both configurations.

There's also a bunch of clowns on craigslist trying to see them over MSRP, which makes me weep for humanity as I'm sure some poor, ignorant grandmother will be conned using her memory of the previous Wii's demand.

Thing is these things will never get cheaper until the next model is close and that's years away. Might as well buy one if you want one (at least within the next year or two) as there will be no price drop anytime soon unless it's a special sale. Also, my area has them in stock too everywhere, even the frickin' Wal-Marts do and that's usually the hardest hit store in the tri-state area I live in. I'd say either Nintendo did their job and had plenty ready this time or maybe it was the lack of release games for it, as wasn't there less than 10 games for release?

Wii was popular because it was fairly cheap and Wii sports was a huge hit to people that normally didn't play video games. Wii U is trying to compete with ps3/xbox, core gamers are not gonna buy a nintendo.

Wii U - 400k sold in its first week.

PS3 - 197k in its first two weeks in the US.

X360 - 326k in its first two weeks in the US.

Wii - 476k in its first two weeks in the US.

Obviously someone wants the Wii U.

I have looked at every store I've been to since this was released, just to see what demand was like. I saw them in stock at a Meijer for the first time yesterday. They had 2 of the basic units. Every Target and Wal-Mart I've been to has been sold out. I'm guessing the closer we get to Christmas, the harder these will be to find.

[quote name='Navex']Thing is these things will never get cheaper until the next model is close and that's years away. Might as well buy one if you want one (at least within the next year or two) as there will be no price drop anytime soon unless it's a special sale. Also, my area has them in stock too everywhere, even the frickin' Wal-Marts do and that's usually the hardest hit store in the tri-state area I live in. I'd say either Nintendo did their job and had plenty ready this time or maybe it was the lack of release games for it, as wasn't there less than 10 games for release?[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know how you can say with certainty this wont happen. History certainly disagrees with you. I still think a price drop comes to compete with the nextbox.

[quote name='Draknight']yeah these can be found pretty much everywhere around me. The two Gamestops around me have four of each version in stock since black Friday. When Ebay prices are priced retail then you know that demand on these are pretty much meeting the supply. Either way laughing at El Hoardo who believed that they can make a killing on these on Ebay.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit. Just checked eBay because of this. Unbelievable. I predict tons of returns in the near future. These have to sell (back of the envelope calculation) for ~440 - 450 to break even on the black ones.

[quote name='daminion']I returned my black Wii U on Wednesday after my son says to me, I no longer want a Wii U for Christmas since there is only one good game for it (referring to Mario).

He told me to wait until there are more games and it gets cheaper. 11 year old CAG in training.

[/QUOTE]

Your boy brings a tear to my eye... he makes us CAGs proud. :applause:

Ironically, NSMBU is the only reason I want *to play* a Wii U myself...

Just watched 3 end:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20085281300...IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=true
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181031650645?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121027114447?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
All of these lost money. eBay fees are 10% and PayPal is 3%. + console cost + tax + shipping + insurance + signature confirmation

Take the last one for instance. That one sold the most and even if it wasn't from Hawaii but was from a no sales tax state that was in the lower 48 (best case scenario), you'd be losing money.
$52 fess + 350 console = 402 right there. Add in shipping costs and BOOM losses.

This is in stock in a lot of stores near me, not always in stock but I have seen plenty. It took me at least a year or more to see my first Wii in the wild back when the Wii launched, but I have already seen plenty of Wii U in stock.

Yes its selling fairly well right now because it is before the holiday season but the stock levels are there and I don't see any major shortages. People are buying this as their kids Christmas gift and for their family to play together over the holidays.

But how many people will actually play or buy this at full price after the first few months? Sure it will be fun to have when family comes over but IMO not $350 plus games fun. When the family leaves and Nintendo Land and NSMBU have been exhausted I am betting this will collect dust in a lot of the households it gets sold to. Pikmin 3 is coming out in March but knowing Nintendo it will get pushed back 3 more times before actually comes out. Heck they are already pushing back the promised-at-launch features such as TVii.

How many people actually played their Wii after the initial fun of Wii Sports wore off and the family from the holidays left?? What I see in the households that own the Wii are Wii's that collect dust and 360's that are getting played every day unless those households have a die hard Nintendo fan in them.

The only 2 groups of people that should be buying this are 1. Die hard fans of Nintendo, most of whom probably already have one, and 2. Those who must have every gadget as soon as it comes out.

I think it will drop in price once it stops selling over the holidays and no one is buying it. The only reason this has sold more than the Wii is because the supply is there, with the Wii the supply was not there, they probably could have sold 10x more Wii's before the 2006 holiday season if they had the stock. Also for the casuals there are a lot of other gadgets competing for their business. In 2006 there was no smartphones, iPhones or iPads, iPod touch or tablet computers.

[quote name='Blaster man']Holy shit. Just checked eBay because of this. Unbelievable. I predict tons of returns in the near future. These have to sell (back of the envelope calculation) for ~440 - 450 to break even on the black ones.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and the lack of profit on Ebay is going to result in even more being available at retail, within the next couple weeks we will be reaching the end of the return period and the Christmas rush. El Hoardo will have to decide between returning it or risking a last minute Christmas week sale and possibly ending up stuck with a loss. Couldn't happen to a nicer person. I wonder how many have already returned consoles bought to scalp and now find themselves having to foot the bill for their own Wii U their "ingenuity" was supposed to cover.

It appears the Wii U is selling, but the supply has killed the scalper market - Nintendo learned their lesson. Skylanders Giants ended up the same way this year, scalpers ran in and grabbed arm loads, only to find even more back up on the shelves the next day. Great times for a gamer, not so great to be a re-seller.

yep not a reseller but I pre ordered one from Best Buy and one from Walmart just to make sure I'll have one, tried to sell one on craigslist for $400 (the deluxe), and had no takers, just not worth the time if I'm selling it for what it costs me. So I returned it to Best Buy yesterday. Look at the resellers on Ebay, after fees and shipping I don't think there's any profit to be made.

I sold 3 personally, and I made about 100 on each unit after fees and such. I sold all 3 right before release and I knew this would happen. WAY to many flippers trying to make a fast buck. $300 wasn't bad for the little effort I put forth, but you need to be smart about it, and there was no way these would hold there value after release. It's good to see the supply is there for those who really want one, but after the new year you won't be able to give these away. NO GAMES AT ALL NEXT YEAR(Exept Pikmin 3).

[quote name='chrislaustin']I sold 3 personally, and I made about 100 on each unit after fees and such. I sold all 3 right before release and I knew this would happen. WAY to many flippers trying to make a fast buck. $300 wasn't bad for the little effort I put forth, but you need to be smart about it, and there was no way these would hold there value after release. It's good to see the supply is there for those who really want one, but after the new year you won't be able to give these away. NO GAMES AT ALL NEXT YEAR(Exept Pikmin 3).[/QUOTE]

No games at all for a full year huh? I find that hard to believe.

I've seen these in stock at 3-4 different stores over the past week or so, usually both models. The BB near me had a table set up on the front of the store with at least 15-18 units stacked up in front of it.

Watching the bottom fall out of the resale market on these has been a nice dose of holiday schadenfraude for me, knowing that there are people out there sitting on a dozen or more units, waiting for the Christmas rush that will never arrive.

[quote name='Deader2818']No games at all for a full year huh? I find that hard to believe.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Nintendo will support it next year though I agree with him that demand will be dead after Christmas and likely there will be tons in inventory everywhere.

[quote name='Blaster man']I'm sure Nintendo will support it next year though I agree with him that demand will be dead after Christmas and likely there will be tons in inventory everywhere.[/QUOTE]

That's true with retail in general for the post-holiday season. Usually the period from Jan-March is pretty dead retail-wise.

It is why Nintendo is spreading out some of their more high-profile titles like Pikmin 3, so that there is still interest in buying on the other side of the usual retail slump.

[quote name='Draknight']yeah these can be found pretty much everywhere around me. The two Gamestops around me have four of each version in stock since black Friday. When Ebay prices are priced retail then you know that demand on these are pretty much meeting the supply. Either way laughing at El Hoardo who believed that they can make a killing on these on Ebay.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sengar']I've seen these in stock at 3-4 different stores over the past week or so, usually both models. The BB near me had a table set up on the front of the store with at least 15-18 units stacked up in front of it.

Watching the bottom fall out of the resale market on these has been a nice dose of holiday schadenfraude for me, knowing that there are people out there sitting on a dozen or more units, waiting for the Christmas rush that will never arrive.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of el hoardo dumbassery...taken from the craigslist stupidity thread...

10 wiius for sale

"I have 10 wii U 32 gb Deluxe sitting in my living room available for purchase. If your interested please let me know, asking 450 obo

john"
In the guy's defense, his ad does ask $450 OBO...so $450 for 10 WiiUs is a pretty good deal :D. Wonder if he'll take $400 for the lot; someone should call him up and offer up :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been contemplating getting one of the many that are sitting at Target near my house. I then think that

a) I can play most of these games on other consoles

and more importantly

b) When Zelda or Mario come out I am sure they will release a gold Zelda edition with that game for the same price or cheaper.

Be patient

I'd love to have it but have no time until our game ships. I'll make sure I have it by Pikmin 3 but hope I find a reason to get one before then.

[quote name='Fatbot3']I'd love to have it but have no time until our game ships. I'll make sure I have it by Pikmin 3 but hope I find a reason to get one before then.[/QUOTE]
What game?

[quote name='Blaster man']What game?[/QUOTE]

Check out the link in his sig.

I bet he just posts here to advertise but it did work on me as I checked it out.

BTW I do like the music.

[quote name='Octopod699']Wii U - 400k sold in its first week.

Obviously someone wants the Wii U.[/QUOTE]

An excellent launch. Congrats to Nintendo.

[quote name='chrislaustin']I sold 3 personally, and I made about 100 on each unit after fees and such. I sold all 3 right before release and I knew this would happen. WAY to many flippers trying to make a fast buck. $300 wasn't bad for the little effort I put forth, but you need to be smart about it, and there was no way these would hold there value after release. It's good to see the supply is there for those who really want one, but after the new year you won't be able to give these away. NO GAMES AT ALL NEXT YEAR(Exept Pikmin 3).[/QUOTE]

There will not be no games at all, but will there be enough games that you can't get on the other consoles (for most likely a lower price and with achievements/trophies) to justify the purchase is the question?

Nintendo games are always slow to come out, I think most of us here know that, and buy accordingly. But most people are buying this for the Nintendo published games, not the 3rd party stuff, which is cheaper and better on the other consoles. I am not buying Nintendo anymore because I have bought into their false promises and hype one too many times and I have been seasoned. If I do buy Nintendo again it will be an after-lifecycle or close to end of lifecycle purchase.

Learned my lesson with the 3DS, didn't buy one at launch, price tanked a couple months after launch, still no games out I want to play on it 2 years later (that doesn't mean there aren't games out for it, there are clearly plenty, but are there any games I want to play..... no there aren't). Thank god I didn't buy one at launch.

Many 3rd party games are also being released for the 3DS and the DS simultaneously.

Now IF and this is a big IF they had a killer Pokemon MMORPG at launch you can bet that I would have happily handed over $350 plus cost of game for this system and probably would have been very happy with my purchase. Same with the 3DS, no Pokemon RPG = No sale.

What really gets me about this system is Nintendo STILL doesn't have a dedicated account system, and they STILL require you to exchange names with your friend, then your friend has to input your name in order to register you. Not to mention they want you to hand over $60 for DLC that is tied to your system, if your system breaks goodbye DLC. They do not allow you to input a friend's name then send a message to your friend so they can register you. You both still have to input each other's names and register separately. Dear Nintendo, I am an adult and I really don't need these types of protections, that is why I have gone to the other side.

That and Nintendo's serious lack of support with Pokemon games for the Wii and 3DS is very disturbing. The Gamecube was the system to have if you wanted to play Pokemon games, because the ones they have for the Gamecube are actually good.

It's good (imho) that the shelves are full of Wii U's. Retailers will take them and this ensures a steady amount for January when everyone gets their gift cards. fuck the hoarders, unless that is legitimately their only job.

Drat. You mean the 10 I bought to resell are not going to fetch me $1,000 each???

I joke. But seriously though, I picked a Wii U up several weeks back and have yet to open it. I got it since I never bought a Wii way back when and wanted it mostly for backwards compatibility. Plus there's a couple Wii U games that look decent - and I'm sure some exclusives down the road will be awesome. I also heard the Virtual shop was neat, since it had Mario 64 and some of the classic games.

I'm still undecided if I'm going to keep it (I have a huge PS3 backlog that eats up my time). Though with the resale value being miniscule, I won't be throwing it up on eBay anytime soon. With my Bday coming up next week maybe I'll consider it an early Bday/Xmas present to myself.

[quote name='Octopod']Wii U - 400k sold in its first week.

Link?

I think a big part of this reseller frenzy is the media, I think too many people tried to capitalize on this but I'm glad Nintendo is making it more available especially for the Holiday season. Do you guys remember how hard it was to get a Wii Fit? As the poster above me mentioned I hope it does do well to get some great third party support and get some descent exclusives, I just hope Nintendo doesn't make it hard for these publishers to do so, I wouldn't want Nintendo to turn into Sega.

[quote name='Octopod']Wii U - 400k sold in its first week.

Notice he didnt state in the US for the wii u .

[quote name='SInX4Lyfe']Notice he didnt state in the US for the wii u .[/QUOTE]

That 400k number is for the US. A google search would tell you that.

I am glad that I was able to flip mine and get a good $75 profit... I think this system is dead unless Nintendo decides to release a Pokemon RPG for it. Unless they do that, it is time for Nintendo to fold up their console hardware division, and start selling software just like Sega.

bread's done
Back