Visiting Canada...EB Games Questions

jkircos

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I am visiting Canada on business this week and had a few questions about EB Games. Can I trade in games even though I have a US address? Can I use my credit from the US stores in the EB Games in Canada? Are the trade in values the same in the US and Canada. I would like to take advantage of the trade 2 for 60 and the trade >$8 for the Xbox promotion. Any help would be great.

[quote name='jkircos']I am visiting Canada on business this week and had a few questions about EB Games. Can I trade in games even though I have a US address? [/QUOTE]I would think so. Any photo ID should be fine AFAIK.

[quote name='jkircos']Can I use my credit from the US stores in the EB Games in Canada? [/QUOTE]I'm fairly certain that wouldn't work. I can't even use my Edge discount in the USA.

[quote name='jkircos']Are the trade in values the same in the US and Canada. [/QUOTE]No. If you'd like to get an idea of Canadian TIVs check out:
http://www.tivs.ca/

Keep in mind that not every price listed there is current.

Prices in Canada are generally worse. Also unfortunately as of recently, you can't use an eb edge card for gamestop and vice versa. Trade ins should be fine as I have traded games in in the USA before.

[quote name='jkircos'] Can I trade in games even though I have a US address?

Can I use my credit from the US stores in the EB Games in Canada?

Are the trade in values the same in the US and Canada.

[/QUOTE]

Yes

No

Don't know

I've never been asked for an address for any trade ins, so I cannot believe that would be an issue.

You can certainly buy the games here, but could not use any credit from the US stores. I pretty sure Best Buy and the Rewards Zone are the same, as I couldn't use my account in the US last year.

Trade in values are different, and probably lower. There could also be an issue if the games you are trading are English only, as all products sold in Canada must contain English and French on the outside. I believe this might apply to in store used games (although not to private sales). I'm not sure if the US retail games have French language packaging. The SKU may be different and not accepted in their system. I am not 100% sure.

I know I tried to do a trade of an imported European retail game, and couldn't do it.

You can also check bestbuy.ca and futureshop.ca both have online sites with a list of games accepted for the 2 for 1 trades. Generally they are much more generous with trade in values and credits than EB. YMMV, but I won't deal with EB anymore.

[quote name='diskdocx']I've never been asked for an address for any trade ins, so I cannot believe that would be an issue.

You can certainly buy the games here, but could not use any credit from the US stores. I pretty sure Best Buy and the Rewards Zone are the same, as I couldn't use my account in the US last year.

Trade in values are different, and probably lower. There could also be an issue if the games you are trading are English only, as all products sold in Canada must contain English and French on the outside. I believe this might apply to in store used games (although not to private sales). I'm not sure if the US retail games have French language packaging. The SKU may be different and not accepted in their system. I am not 100% sure.

I know I tried to do a trade of an imported European retail game, and couldn't do it.

You can also check bestbuy.ca and futureshop.ca both have online sites with a list of games accepted for the 2 for 1 trades. Generally they are much more generous with trade in values and credits than EB. YMMV, but I won't deal with EB anymore.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information about Bestbuy.ca and Futureshop.ca! I will have to check those out as well.

Bestbuy/Futureshop TIVs are also listed on that site I linked earlier, for easy comparison.

[quote name='diskdocx']Trade in values are different, and probably lower. [/QUOTE]
Actually from what I've heard a reasonable portion of our values are higher. But a lot of our purchase prices are higher too, so I'm sure on average we get screwed more.
But the point is to pick out the regional aberrations that make for a deal.

[quote name='diskdocx']There could also be an issue if the games you are trading are English only, as all products sold in Canada must contain English and French on the outside. I believe this might apply to in store used games (although not to private sales). I'm not sure if the US retail games have French language packaging. The SKU may be different and not accepted in their system. I am not 100% sure.[/QUOTE]
No EB is going to complain about trading in a US version, it happens all the time. Just skim over their pre-owned stuff looking for them and you'll see. I've never noticed any SKU differences between US/Canadian versions. If by some miracle there is a variation that isn't in their system, they just need to manually search the title. They take disc only games, and those come in without any handy barcodes...

[quote name='diskdocx']I know I tried to do a trade of an imported European retail game, and couldn't do it.[/QUOTE]
That's YMMV, but they do in fact take European games. You need a CSR that isn't dumb though. The game needs to be playable in this region obviously so it'll work for the next guy, and the CSR just needs to search it's title/sku because it obviously has a different barcode than our releases.

[quote name='ragnar14']That's YMMV, but they do in fact take European games. You need a CSR that isn't dumb though. The game needs to be playable in this region obviously so it'll work for the next guy, and the CSR just needs to search it's title/sku because it obviously has a different barcode than our releases.[/QUOTE]

The only time I've bothered to import was for a game not available here. They couldn't value it since it didn't exist in their system.

In general I find their trade in values very poor, and resell prices too high. BB/FS are better because of the trade 1 or trade 2 to get the new release free.

What I can't understand is why more people don't use Kijiji. I have listed a number of games there - for more than I would get as a trade but well less than retail new or used pricing - but only get stupid low ball offers :roll:

[quote name='jkircos']I am visiting Canada on business this week and had a few questions about EB Games. Can I trade in games even though I have a US address? Can I use my credit from the US stores in the EB Games in Canada? Are the trade in values the same in the US and Canada. I would like to take advantage of the trade 2 for 60 and the trade >$8 for the Xbox promotion. Any help would be great.[/QUOTE]

Glossed over the other replies but I didn't notice anyone mention this. The "trade to to get 60$ credit towards X games" deal that is going on at the moment is not as enticing as it first appears, the minimum trade-in value for that deal is 15$ per game, not the usual 8$.

For EBgames you should be ok to trade stuff in.

I know like if you go to futureshop , and try to trade in some US games , it doesnt work because the UPC wont match ours (I had bought a game from ebgames canada, it was US , and tried to trade it to FS after)

Generally you will get a worse deal here than in the states though so not sure you would want to bother.

bread's done
Back