CAGcast #306: Joe Han

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Cheapy loves Far Cry 3, Shipwreck reminisces over Crossfire, and Wombat has a MacBook.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]215[/podcast]
Download - 1 hour 15 minutes Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

www.GoDaddy.com
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Toccata and Fugue Remix - Crossfire

[quote name='bickle']Show Notes

2:30 Dishonored
9:00 Watch This: Crossfire Hurricane
14:15 New Releases
14:15 FarCry 3
23:30 LotR: Guardians of the North
24:45 Back to FarCry 3
25:45 Skyrim: Dragonborn DLC
26:15 WiiU new releases
27:15 Mass Effect Trilogy PS3
27:30 DJ Max Technica Tune
27:45 Uncharted card game for Vita
30:00 Nov NPDs
42:30 Assassin's Creed III
47:45 Sportsfriends Kickstarter / Johann Sebastian Joust
51:30 Spaceteam (iOS)
53:00 Cagbag: Buy a new imac?
55:30 Macs made in America
56:45 Verizon's invasive DVR
58:15 THQ Humble Bundle
1:00:00 WiiU in Japan
1:01:15 Will Nintendo release it's next console early
1:05:00 Vita/PS4 bundle
1:08:30 Underdog Games of the Year?
1:09:30 FitBit[/QUOTE]

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
good show. Raptr does track Far Cry 3 correctly.

I beat the game yesterday .. 53 hrs..

awesome game but the endings where lame.

Just wanted to say that this episode has to be one of my favorites. You guys just had me laughing the entire way through, and that Crossfire outro I'm literally crying.

But then again it is 4AM, and everything's funny at this time. So I'll listen again at work later and hopefully it still holds up.

:whee: listening now - since I can't get access to work computers (stupid password was reset by corporate and no one wants to help me) and my cable seems to be frozen (I have a still picture of Early Cuyler up on my TV) all I can do is listen the CAGcast.

Well... I could play a game or something, but who does that any more!?

Ship was right last episode on nintendo. When most console lauched the systems offered a huge leap in power. I remember when the super nintendo launched. Nintendo was like their system can do 16000 colors our can do 32000 or something to that effect.

. Then during the life of the system the console would really start to show it's strength. Like Mode 7 etc. The controller was revolutionary. One actually built for gamers.

I remember the weeks of hype with sneak peaks of an awesome games like Super Metroid showing off the power of their console. I really miss them days. I have a wii u deluxe and it is unopened. I also believe the wii was the most sold least played console in the history of console gaming.

Nintendo needs to go big like microsoft or go the way of the dinosaur like sega. I am still trying to find out how nintendo was humbled. If you would have told me during the super nintendo era that they would be okay putting out weaker consoles I would have told you you were crazy.

IMO they never recovered from the n64 debacle. Sorry for the rant but it would be nice to seee nintendo seriously back in the game.

I have been listening to both of these video game podcast for over a couple of years and based on overall entertainment value Cagcast is a better product. Even though, the Giantbomb staff may have more in depth video game discussions sometimes their dissection of a video game becomes so clinical that I become disinterested because it's "polygon" overkill.
Also, I enjoy the gab of the gruesome threesome over the shooting the breeze intros of the awesome fivesome. I enjoy listening more to Cheapy's family stories than Jeff Gerstmann's food conquest. Patrick Klepek and Joe Shoemaker are the most enjoyable personalities of Bombcast. Jeff Gerstmann's options are so jaded, he borderlines annoying. Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck may be more laxed but thats what games are about having a good time and a greater podcast from another is how much enjoyment the listener has for those 1-2 hours.
C is better that G so V.D.O your way Out! Cakes done.

Wombat should know the console version of Far Cry 3 is a big step down from the PC version Cheapy has been playing. I'm going to wait till I get a new PC to play it, like I waited till I got a gaming PC in 2007 to play Far Cry (which was released way back in March, 2004).

I got Dishonored on Black Friday but still haven't started it because I've been playing games on my new Vita and 3DS XL. Looking forward to it, though.

Wombat, you said Farcry didn't receive much promotion. I just wanted to mention that I've been seeing it on the front page of the Steam store everyday for about the last two weeks, so maybe they are just aiming for PC market.

XBOX 360 Console Launch Prices
November 22, 2005
Launch of Xbox 360 Premium (20 GB) – $399.99
Launch of Xbox 360 Core – $299.99

PlayStation 3 Console Launch Prices
Nov. 17, 2006
20 GB Console - $499
60 GB Console - $599

I am curious of the what the PS4 and the new Xbox launch prices will be and if they will have multiple SKUs.

Cheapy,

Why do you keep saying the last Far Cry took place on a tropical island? Far Cry 2 took place in Africa. Other than that goof up the show was great.

BTW: Did you ever hang out a Spize in Farmingdale?

My current favorite thing to do in Far Cry 3 is drive through the jungle, full throttle on one of the Quads. Flying/crashing off the side of a mountain into the canopy below, all while in first person, is pretty exhilarating!

Pro-tip for hunting sharks: get a gun boat and drive around until you spot one. Shoot it then dive down to skin it.

Shipwreck. The mission you're on, one of the side missions you can do is finish it without killing anyone. It doesn't tell you about it, but switch to your fists for your weapon. If you kill someone with your fists whether it's stealth or in combat, it doesn't count as a kill. Or atleast it didn't count as a kill.

So just wait in the bushes, kill the guy who comes by, go to each cannon and kill all the enemies there, disable the cannons, then follow the guys to finish it off. If you don't kill everyone else, it's very hard to follow the people without getting caught.

Anyways. I'd recommend just quitting the game now. The missions throughout the rest of the game are as shi**y as the missions you've already been on. You'll get very bored later on and just start rushing through the game to just finish it. The game doesn't deserve the hype it received.

MS & Sony should copy the entire controller. I don't see any downsides to the Gamepad compared to a traditional controller except cost. The touchscreen is awesome for the tv remote functionality, taking extraneous crap off the tv screen, new ways to play, looking up something quick on the 'net and continuing some games sans TV.

Cheapie not interested in Wii U and Shipwreck not having enough games to play on a just launched console? News at eleven.

I'm on the same mission as you, Shipwreck. I rarely "rage quit" any games and AC3 has made me do just that. I tried that same mission over a dozen times. I'm probably going to have to wind up bypassing the side mission of disabling the cannons just to get on with the story. I can't stand spending 10-15 minutes every time sneaking up on every person in that fort just to have the last guy (who's guarding the map in the tent) spot me. Shipwreck, I know you said that so far the game "feels like Assassin's Creed" but I have to disagree. I think the amount of frustrating missions the game gives you so early on in the narrative is very unlike the rest of the games in the series.

I know a lot of people are feeling letdown by the Wii-U being only slightly better than the Wii but honestly I think that's going to be a trend going into the next generation of systems. I feel like I say this every console cycle but I can't see how much better graphics can get on these next gen systems. I think the next gen systems are going to be dominated more by gimmicks like the tablet controller and the Kinect than be truly powerful machines.

Ah yes, that fort mission, that and the overly-long boat segment at the beginning were probably the worst parts of the introduction for me. I can't remember how I did it with full sync (since I know I didn't use the non-lethal method posted above). I think the guards up near the 2nd cannon and map were distracted by something, so they left their posts. Probably would have helped if I knew that the fists would fulfill the non-lethal requirement.

On paper, it's a nice idea for a mission (spy on a famous figure, read secret plans), but the problems with that mission are two-fold: 1) It is not compatible with the game's stealth system; when a guard sees you and the red triangle starts filling, you cannot hide unless you break the line-of-sight first. Unfortunately, there are also small "holes" in the tall-grass areas where your character will inexplicably stand up and be spotted, dooming or prolonging the mission unless you can hide behind a wagon or wall without exiting the eavesdropping area. 2) The checkpointing; every time you fail, you have to eavesdrop on the entire conversation all over again, which quickly gets very tedious.

Far Cry 3 is fine on console or PC in my opinion. Sure, PC wins as always, faster loading and a bit more smooth. PS3 laggy as usual compared to Xbox and PC(not as much as other games though). But it's really not super different compared to the console version. It will take a new gaming engine/console to improve graphically now a days. That is just my opinion though. The game is definitely great and hope to see it get more of a reception and maybe be as good as Assassin's Creed someday, especially if they improve the gameplay system from the great system it already has right now.

Skyrim's new Dragonborn DLC will most likely not be hitting PS3 at the same time as PC. The PS3 version hasn't had any of the DLC on it yet, because they can't get it working or some shit. Kind of surprised you guys hadn't heard this.
Also, Shipwreck, if you were referring to Hearthfire when you said you haven't played the last DLC, you're not really missing anything. Whereas Dawnguard added quest content and stuff, Hearthfire only added the ability to buy/build houses and adopt children. So you're not missing "real" content per se if you were talking about missing Hearthfire.

Cheapy, you probably have to run the Raptr desktop app in order for it to track Far Cry 3 properly. You should be running this, anyways. Since you're now a PC gamer and you use Raptr, there's no reason to not be running the desktop app. It will definitely track your games accurately. Otherwise, it just takes the time off of Steam, which usually is right, but obviously not with Far Cry 3. I assume Shipwreck runs the app, which is why he said that Raptr tracks it properly.
Or maybe you do already use the app, in which case I have no idea why it wouldn't be tracking properly.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I won?! What?! Thank you CheapyD! And thank you Marvelous Entertainment.[/QUOTE]

Congrats to you too! I was REALLY shocked when I was on the way home from 7-11 on a slurpee run when I thought I heard my name.....I think I'm dreaming. That or its a sugar rush.

One of the two!

I'm so excited....I feel like squee'ing like a teenage schoolgirl at something chibi and adorable.

PS: I owned a Crossfire growing up, was one of the more fun "board" games out there next to Forbidden Bridge. Wish I still had mine lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, for next week can you do a general gift roundup of (1) good stuff you have given or received for Hannukah/Christmas, (2) good stuff you are planning on giving or receiving for the holiday (tech and non-tech alike), and (3) a what do Cheapy, Wombat and the gentile want for Christmas segment?

Hey Cheapy,
You've mentioned a few times that you game on your PC through your TV, and I'm guessing that you're using a wireless HDMI transmitter as opposed to running a long cable. I just built a new gaming PC and would like to try that but I wanted to know if there were any issues using the PC with wireless HDMI orjust on such a big screen in general. Also, if you are wireless and like the transmitter you're using, do you mind sharing the model#/Make?

Thanks

[quote name='maxiell']Guys, for next week can you do a general gift roundup of (1) good stuff you have given or received for Hannukah/Christmas, (2) good stuff you are planning on giving or receiving for the holiday (tech and non-tech alike), and (3) a what do Cheapy, Wombat and the gentile want for Christmas segment?[/QUOTE]

I'd like to hear this, too. Believe it or not, you guys have quite a following for both your gaming and non-gaming discussion. It'd be cool to go "holiday theme" with an episode.

[quote name='Edward351']Hey Cheapy,
You've mentioned a few times that you game on your PC through your TV, and I'm guessing that you're using a wireless HDMI transmitter as opposed to running a long cable. I just built a new gaming PC and would like to try that but I wanted to know if there were any issues using the PC with wireless HDMI orjust on such a big screen in general. Also, if you are wireless and like the transmitter you're using, do you mind sharing the model#/Make?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Asked him the same question before, he uses io data (Japanese brand).

Show Notes

2:30 Dishonored
9:00 Watch This: Crossfire Hurricane
14:15 New Releases
14:15 FarCry 3
23:30 LotR: Guardians of the North
24:45 Back to FarCry 3
25:45 Skyrim: Dragonborn DLC
26:15 WiiU new releases
27:15 Mass Effect Trilogy PS3
27:30 DJ Max Technica Tune
27:45 Uncharted card game for Vita
30:00 Nov NPDs
42:30 Assassin's Creed III
47:45 Sportsfriends Kickstarter / Johann Sebastian Joust
51:30 Spaceteam (iOS)
53:00 Cagbag: Buy a new imac?
55:30 Macs made in America
56:45 Verizon's invasive DVR
58:15 THQ Humble Bundle
1:00:00 WiiU in Japan
1:01:15 Will Nintendo release it's next console early
1:05:00 Vita/PS4 bundle
1:08:30 Underdog Games of the Year?
1:09:30 FitBit

@CagCrew

You guys are really cool to support Penny Arcade's charity despite them having been major dicks towards you. Kudos. Not too often these days do people take the higher ground as opposed to flinging mud.

I never thought you could do something I would want to be negative about, but really?

You bash the local multiplayer kickstarter (which was funded) then rave about spaceteam... which is...

Local multiplayer.

Get it together guys.

[quote name='Tonezorz']I never thought you could do something I would want to be negative about, but really?

You bash the local multiplayer kickstarter (which was funded) then rave about spaceteam... which is...

Local multiplayer.

Get it together guys.[/QUOTE]

Are you comparing the number of people with iOS devices to those with a PS3 and 2 Move controllers? It's kind of a different animal.

yeah crossfire is so great. 80's! i thought 'crossfire, you'll get caught up in the, CROSSFIRE!' too cool. and yeah i accidently watched a far cry 3 ending online! damn

Стань богатым, ты этого достоин! Узнай секрет, не нужно вкалывать ,нужно правильно мыслить!
Советы Дональда Трампа.
81984fere.jpg

bread's done
Back