- - - - -

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection VITA $19.99 @ Amazon.com

#31 silver001   silvermember CAGiversary!   70 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

silver001

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

LMAO you realize the MGS franchise is the most in detail with the story.
?

Telling someone it's ok to skip games in this franchise is like telling them they can watch the last LOTR movies return of the king without having had seen the first two LOTR movies and the reference would catch the up. Just no no no.

MGS is the last game you want to skip on to sequels. Most of MGS4 is cut scenes vs gameplay. This isn't god of war or uncharted where a noob can start at part 3 and be ok.

This is a series where the story connects through all the games unlike any other games.

you seem to be misunderstanding something. Yes, mgs is about the story, nobody will dispute that, BUT you don't NEED to know the history of the first game to get into the 2nd and third. Also LOTRO is far different than MGS and like someone said, if you need to compared it to LOTRO you already lost.

#32 needler420   car title is lost CAGiversary!   2229 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

you seem to be misunderstanding something. Yes, mgs is about the story, nobody will dispute that, BUT you don't NEED to know the history of the first game to get into the 2nd and third. Also LOTRO is far different than MGS and like someone said, if you need to compared it to LOTRO you already lost.

In that theory you don't need to know the history of any book, movie, comic book, video game etc. to jump into the most current.

My point is with games like MGS and books like LOTR and the movies that they aren't best when skipped. They are highly regarded for their stories so it's not like you can tell people who are new to them that any time is a good jumping on point.

If you're talking about killzone3, resistance 3, Uncharted 3, God of war 3, Gears of war 3 and all that crap then I would say it doesn't matter if you played the previous games. That is not something you can say with the MGS series.

You're literally taking one of the most notable games know for their story and telling people it's ok to jump into the sequels.

needler420.png

#33 joeyshadows   CAGiversary! Validating   1729 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

joeyshadows

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

I really wish this included an hd copy of the first game. It'd be nice to play all 3 with a more updated look. Favorite franchise right behind the nintendogs series.

#34 Edzo04   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   370 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Is it important that I play MGS for PS1 before I play these?

yes it is. i highly recommend playing it. one of my favorite games

#35 Kendro   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3541 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

Is MGS: Digital Graphic Novel on the PSN Store? I feel like breezing through that for the story and jumping right into MGS2.

#36 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5164 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

The vita version is better graphic quality, the 3DS has a third dimension. So take which ever thing you prefer.

Vita hands down.

3DS version is a terrible port, lots of framerate issues. The only redeeming quality is that it has a crouch walk option, but there's no reason to play it over the vita port.

Well looks like I'm leaning towards the Vita version since the PS2 version of Subsistence is my current console version.

Is MGS: Digital Graphic Novel on the PSN Store? I feel like breezing through that for the story and jumping right into MGS2.

Yes, it is like $7.99 or something like that.

#37 MechaGojira   Custom User Title?! CAGiversary!   184 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

MechaGojira

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

It's also available on YouTube...!

Personally, I played through MGS1 just this year for the first time and am halfway through MGS2, and I think it is worth a playthrough. Just my two cents!
Posted Image

#38 Kendro   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3541 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

Personally, I played through MGS1 just this year for the first time and am halfway through MGS2, and I think it is worth a playthrough. Just my two cents!

Played it and beat it on PS1 many years ago. I just forgot most of the story so I wanted a refresher.

#39 Yanksfan   Cubs Fan Too :( CAGiversary!   5389 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:24 AM

I am in the camp that believes you should play MGS first. You don't absolutely have to, but I feel you will get the best appreciation possible for doing so.

I've just played a little of it so far on the Vita and MGS2 is fantastic.

#40 Woocls   Grumpy Old Gamer CAGiversary!   1120 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:49 AM

I am in the camp that believes you should play MGS first. You don't absolutely have to, but I feel you will get the best appreciation possible for doing so.

I've just played a little of it so far on the Vita and MGS2 is fantastic.

The issue with skipping 1 is that the story on 2 is REALLY terrible if you don't understand 1. I actually think you'll get the most out of the games if you play them 3-1-2-4 (aka story chronologically) Sure parts of 3 will be a little weaker but that game is just so strong it won't matter because it'll strengthen the rest of the games. Gameplay wise 1 is very rough around the edges but still worth a play through or 3.

#41 Dacoops3   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   42 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Dacoops3

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

Thank you for sharing! Been waiting for a deal on this!! Thanks again OP!

#42 CrimsonX   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   15 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

CrimsonX

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

I'm thinking about buying it on 360 just for Peace Walker, I already have MGS2&3. Hell for $20, I'd love to go through MGS3 again even though I bought it twice before, but I never owned Peace Walker so its a good deal to me. My only question is the buttons, It'd be weird with out the type of buttons like on the PS2/3 versions of those two games.

#43 AmongPatriots   CAGiversary! A Hwat? CAGiversary!   241 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

AmongPatriots

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

I can see one of these if not both being free for the PSVita soon.

#44 United_Korea   Gunpla Addict CAGiversary!   899 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

United_Korea

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

just bought my 4th version of mgs3.

Most Hyped For: Tekken 7, Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV

#45 zzamaro   CA'G CAGiversary!   360 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

The issue with skipping 1 is that the story on 2 is REALLY terrible if you don't understand 1. I actually think you'll get the most out of the games if you play them 3-1-2-4 (aka story chronologically) Sure parts of 3 will be a little weaker but that game is just so strong it won't matter because it'll strengthen the rest of the games. Gameplay wise 1 is very rough around the edges but still worth a play through or 3.

The thing is that if you play MGS3 first, it will spoil previous games a lot, especially MGS1. MGS3 has a lot of gameplay mechanics.
[This signature was deleted at the request of the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo.]

#46 wilflare   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2083 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

price just jumped to 29.99 ><

#47 atreyu25   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   14 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

atreyu25

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

Alright, I'm going to throw in a crap load of spoilers to explain why I think MGS1 isn't a necessary play to enjoy 2 & 3. Keep in mind this is my own two cents. and again... *SPOILERS*

Most people in the USA started playing Metal Gear around MGS1. That means they haven't touched Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 (almost no one in America even played MG2). The things that happened in Zanzibar are pretty important, as well as the importance of Big Boss. MGS1 did a great job of filling you in through the codec and the cut scenes so you didn't have to know what happened in the minefield in Zanzibar or any of the previous backstory.

Introduce MGS2. It's pretty common knowledge now that Solid Snake is NOT the main character. The only thing I think is important about MGS1 that new players to the series will not catch is the reference to the bosses to MGS1 [which happens near the end. Yes that reference includes the cyborg ninja too]. That reference will be tied to the explanation in the end that ties the whole story together.
The important things to know in this story are explained in the first part of the game. Solid Snake is a hero. He has a twin brother. Their father is a legend. Metal Gear is a weapon. Snake beat it before.

With that in mind, you start the game with a whole new character. That's where the game messes with your mind. If you played MGS1 before, once you switched characters, you're playing this game with a new set of eyes. If you're new to the game, that's perfect. Because like the main character, you have no idea what's going on, and you believe snake is a legendary hero. The only times when MGS1 gets directly referenced is in the end, but if you have been paying attention to the story, you don't need to know all the details, minus a little reference about the bosses.

In MGS3, the game can stand on its own because it is the first game chronologically. You play as Big Boss, the antagonist in Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2. You will be playing as him, so you will presume him as the good guy. For me, I feel MGS1 isn't important to play, but MGS 2 is a wonderful supplement to this game. If you play MGS2, then you will approach this game with a more open mind. That ending in MGS2 will make you wonder what the hell happened? So you go back in time to dive deeper into the story. Why did big boss become bad? Who are the Philosophers?

The only game in the series where I feel playing through all the Metal Gear Solids is MGS4, but that's not included in the collection, so I'll skip out on that.

#48 zzamaro   CA'G CAGiversary!   360 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

price just jumped to 29.99 ><

Wow, that was fast. Didn't even last a day. I am glad I got it in time.

I was planning to wait because I wanted to buy around $25 to get the $5 discount because I had a hard time finding stuff, and I only found an almost $5 official vita card case to hold up to 10 games at it was on discount as well. The price of it was normally $5.99 but when I when to checkout, it didn't count the discount only for around 30 cents. I was going leave it that way, and I remember I could check erasers(for school) and found a 3-pack for a little over 1 buck which was also at discount.

So I got the game, the vita card case, and eraser for almost the same price I would have spent for the game alone.
[This signature was deleted at the request of the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo.]

#49 the_ENEMY_   Undead CAGiversary!   1066 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

the_ENEMY_

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

i love how people ask if they should play MGS1 before playing these, even though metal gear for NES also featured "snake" and the crew. if you play games for the story, any game out of japan shouldn't be taken seriously story-wise. it starts serious, but by the time you play MGS4 you wonder if they were making parts up just to Fuck with you.
Posted Image

#50 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3097 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

To be fair, MGS4 was a complete joke. How Kojima managed to shit that one out after Snake Eater is beyond me. So glad Peace Walker was nothing like it.

Hopefully Phantom Pain will revolve completely around Big Boss.

#51 TommyLove   CAGiversary! Banned   912 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

IGN says they haven't even gotten a developer's version of the Vita that has an HDMI out due to availability and cost. This is why their reviews are of someone filming a vita screen. That's pretty pathetic that Sony won't get better equipment to reviewers so their product looks better in review videos, etc. But that's Sony marketing for you.

So it sounds like video out is not a huge priority for Sony and the Vita any time soon...

Thank you for your detailed research.
I think Sony can profit some money with an accessory for customers that enjoys recording their game plays or maybe they should somehow make it possible to hook a vita to the ps3 or ps4 so you can play vita exclusive games on a tv.
My collection and trade-list:
H: The Legend Of Zelda: Hyrule Historia LE in Mint condition W: equal value in trades or amazon/eBay prices
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=330790
My game plays:
http://www.youtube.com/tommylovehd
Posted Image

#52 Tranzience   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   16 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Tranzience

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Haha, I can't believe it. I missed the Best Buy $10 off coupon by a day and now I miss this deal by a few hours. Ah well, surely third time's the charm.

#53 wilflare   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2083 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Haha, I can't believe it. I missed the Best Buy $10 off coupon by a day and now I miss this deal by a few hours. Ah well, surely third time's the charm.

unrelated.. but what $10 coupon?

#54 Zanpakuto   vs. the World CAGiversary!   238 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

unrelated.. but what $10 coupon?

I think they are referencing the Best Buy Reward Zone Offer that was given out last month (but now has been expired) for $10 off the Vita or PS3 version of MGS Collection.

Missed out on it as well so had to jump on this price last night. Thanks OP!