Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward free with any Vita bundle, including 3G PS+ bundle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a huge Vita fan but I am absolutely SHOCKED that sony made a new 3G bundle/model. I wonder if this means they will be developing new features / applications that support 3G? It's pretty bare right now...

[quote name='GBAstar']I'm a huge Vita fan but I am absolutely SHOCKED that sony made a new 3G bundle/model. [/QUOTE]

I'd wager it was part of their agreement with AT&T as AT&T's way of assuring that Sony would push out the consoles so AT&T could get some sweet, sweet subscriber money.

If I had the money I'd get the Assassin's Creed Liberation bundle. Then again, I kind of hope the watch bundle for Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward comes back.

Comparing this to the BF deal that pass'd
199bundle plus zero escape 39.99
comes out to about the same price as this
still pretty good. but after tax comes out to 270 for me
Aaarrrrg. dont know if i should pull the trigger....

Man, wish I had Amazon credit. Too much GS credit, want a Vita, but no sales there.

Do I have to play 999 to 'get' Zero Escape (and is the Vita version supposed to be 'better' than the 3DS one?)?

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Man, wish I had Amazon credit. Too much GS credit, want a Vita, but no sales there.

Do I have to play 999 to 'get' Zero Escape (and is the Vita version supposed to be 'better' than the 3DS one?)?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. I just started Zero Escape and it seems pretty standalone. I'm sure like most things, having played the previous game helps but I don't think it's essential.

Vita version has no bugs.

where are you guys seeing a $199 console that comes with ZE: VLR? All the eligible consoles on the promo page are $249.99 or $299.99

[quote name='confoosious']I don't think so. I just started Zero Escape and it seems pretty standalone. I'm sure like most things, having played the previous game helps but I don't think it's essential.

Vita version has no bugs.[/QUOTE]

Finish the game first. Playing 999 first is a must

[quote name='confoosious']I don't think so. I just started Zero Escape and it seems pretty standalone. I'm sure like most things, having played the previous game helps but I don't think it's essential.

Yeah, if I could have played VLR on the Vita instead of the 3DS, I'd have chosen the Vita in a heartbeat due to it's lack of save-corrupting, game-crashing bug.

I'm so angry that my game crashed in the PEC Room, even when I just closed the DS (didn't "save" at all!). Lost that entire playthrough because I hadn't saved up to that point (Yes, that's my fault. I know XD).

Haven't played it since, but will pick it up after finals.

[quote name='GBAstar']where are you guys seeing a $199 console that comes with ZE: VLR? All the eligible consoles on the promo page are $249.99 or $299.99[/QUOTE]
There isnt one. The 199bundle was referring to the deals that came out on BF.
I was simply stating that, even comparing this deal to the 199 BF with a purchase of ZeroEscape, comes out to the same price as this.

Thanks for the 999 and Zero Escape info, makes my choice a bit easier. Just need to decide which bundle to get. Probably whichever has the better game to trade in here, BB, or GS. Really want PS+, but might just pay out of pocket for it since that bundle costs a bit more I think and I know I won't use the 3G.

[quote name='GBAstar']where are you guys seeing a $199 console that comes with ZE: VLR? All the eligible consoles on the promo page are $249.99 or $299.99[/QUOTE]

I think people are saying this is like getting the console for $199 if you planned on picking this game up anyway.

You definitely should play 999 before playing VLR if you can.

Also, I love this game but honestly this bundle deal isn't very good. Find a better deal on a Vita and buy the game separate.

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Man, wish I had Amazon credit. Too much GS credit, want a Vita, but no sales there.

Do I have to play 999 to 'get' Zero Escape (and is the Vita version supposed to be 'better' than the 3DS one?)?[/QUOTE]
you dont have to play 999 and the vita version is easily superior

[quote name='Edzo04']you dont have to play 999 and the vita version is easily superior[/QUOTE]

Actually you do need to play 999 first

The first one was amazing, "have to" should be replaced with "want to". You should want to play the first game, cuz it's good. Plus it's only $20.

Everybunny needs to hop on this deal ;)

VLR is a DIRECT sequel to 999. Yes, you can play VLR first, however it will not have the same emotional impact if you don't, which is pretty essential to a Visual Novel series like this....

[quote name='SOLDIER']Don't suppose anyone who bought the BF bundle could convince them to honor purchases with Zero Escape?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing. I bought the BF assassin's creed bundle too

[quote name='Edzo04']you dont have to play 999 and the vita version is easily superior[/QUOTE]
Yeah... don't listen to the first part of what this guy is saying. I'm only part way into it and it's obvious that you should play 999 before you play this one.

I do agree that the Vita version is superior if for no other reason than the face that it doesn't have a save bug. Also it looks better.

[quote name='ninjab0yyyy13']I was wondering the same thing. I bought the BF assassin's creed bundle too[/QUOTE]

Just asked an Amazon rep over chat about it. No dice.

It's not essential to play 999 first, but not playing it first is like shooting yourself in the foot.. intentionally. You'll lose out on the experience (and probably enjoy the sequel less), and it'll spoil the first game for you so if you ever do decide you want to play the first game (which I liked more than VLR), you'll hate yourself for spoiling a lot of it. Both games are great, but I highly suggest playing both in order.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='doodofdoods']The first one was amazing, "have to" should be replaced with "want to". You should want to play the first game, cuz it's good. Plus it's only $20.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I'm not saying I don't want to because I really do, I just wanted to know if I it was a requirement for this game so I would be sure to order it with the Vita rather than waiting or putting it in my backlog.

Damn, is the AC3 bundle not a part of the promo anymore or is it out of stock? Not seeing it on the first page. Guess I'll just go CoD since that should have a decent TIV.

[quote name='Japakneez']Watch a 999 walkthrough[/QUOTE]

Watching a walkthrough for 999 is pointless IMO. 999 is just as good as VLR, there really is no good reason to skip it. A walkthrough would spoil the experience..

I could see people skipping it if they don't own a DS, but in that case.. I'd just borrow a DS, or wait until you get a cheap DS/3DS.

[quote name='doodofdoods']The first one was amazing, "have to" should be replaced with "want to". You should want to play the first game, cuz it's good. Plus it's only $20.[/QUOTE]

Listen to this guy.

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Oh yeah, I'm not saying I don't want to because I really do, I just wanted to know if I it was a requirement for this game so I would be sure to order it with the Vita rather than waiting or putting it in my backlog.[/QUOTE]

I just finished VLR and I highly recommend playing 999 first. I could see someone playing it without going through 999, but some stuff would be lost on them and I could see becoming quite confused. You'll have a much easier time understanding VLR having played the first game, it is most definitely a sequel.

[quote name='aaronrodgers']Everybunny needs to hop on this deal ;)

VLR is a DIRECT sequel to 999. Yes, you can play VLR first, however it will not have the same emotional impact if you don't, which is pretty essential to a Visual Novel series like this....[/QUOTE]

Yep, I guess you could say that not playing 999 is not an hoption.

So basically a 0% chance that AC bundle gets restocked by Amazon in time for me to get it with this deal?

I can't believe I missed the Black Friday one. Really want P4: The Golden and VLR, but maybe I'll just wait for another $199 sale or BF next year...

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']So basically a 0% chance that AC bundle gets restocked by Amazon in time for me to get it with this deal?

I can't believe I missed the Black Friday one. Really want P4: The Golden and VLR, but maybe I'll just wait for another $199 sale or BF next year...[/QUOTE]

Unlikely, but if you order the Black Ops one and get it with 2 day shipping or better you can trade Black Ops in at GameStop for 30 bucks (as a PUR member, until the 16th), which will get you most of the way to Persona 4.

Definitely wasn't a fan of the demo.

When puzzles aren't based on any logic that's rooted in reality, the player gets reduced to just clicking on stuff until something triggers, then you run around to find what triggered. Sometimes you get items, then you click around until you find the item that it matches up with, if it isn't immediately obvious. The puzzle in the demo is not really about exercising any brain power at all. The only way you can get "stuck" is by constantly checking a set of clickable spots and forgetting to check some other clickable spot. But you can't think about how one item might logically work in the situation, because it already has a weird pre-determined role. Some of the puzzle solutions are creative and sort of interesting, but it doesn't feel like gameplay I'm actively involved in. It's like a series of weird red herrings.

Basically, it suffers from typical adventure game logic, but with an anime story line and art style, complete with barely covered big boobed chicks telling you how awesome you are when you figure something out. No thx

All over this one :D Zero Escape and Persona 4 Golden were the primary reasons I wanted a Vita.

Trading blops:vita for $30, picking up Persona 4 Golden. On top of that, this last month Playstation+ gave away 7 free Vita games, including (old favorite) Final Fantasy Tactics: WoTL + Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

Happened to have $90 amazon credit earned free from payng my monthly bills on my Amazon Visa. Christmas just came early :D Thanks CAG'rs and OP.

[quote name='Seraphinianus']Definitely wasn't a fan of the demo.

When puzzles aren't based on any logic that's rooted in reality, the player gets reduced to just clicking on stuff until something triggers, then you run around to find what triggered. Sometimes you get items, then you click around until you find the item that it matches up with, if it isn't immediately obvious. The puzzle in the demo is not really about exercising any brain power at all. The only way you can get "stuck" is by constantly checking a set of clickable spots and forgetting to check some other clickable spot. But you can't think about how one item might logically work in the situation, because it already has a weird pre-determined role. Some of the puzzle solutions are creative and sort of interesting, but it doesn't feel like gameplay I'm actively involved in. It's like a series of weird red herrings. [/QUOTE]

Never played the demo, so I'm not sure which puzzle you're referring to. But I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's the first one, the elevator room? Nothing in that room, or any of the other puzzle rooms, had red herrings. Everything you find is used to solve the puzzle and the things you can take and interact with stand out from the things you can't.

Basically, it suffers from typical adventure game logic, but with an anime story line and art style, complete with barely covered big boobed chicks telling you how awesome you are when you figure something out. No thx

LOL! I'm gonna go ahead and assume you never played 999, because this couldn't be further from the truth. And it's not an adventure game, more of a visual novel with some puzzles.

When puzzles aren't based on any logic that's rooted in reality, the player gets reduced to just clicking on stuff until something triggers, then you run around to find what triggered. Sometimes you get items, then you click around until you find the item that it matches up with, if it isn't immediately obvious. The puzzle in the demo is not really about exercising any brain power at all. The only way you can get "stuck" is by constantly checking a set of clickable spots and forgetting to check some other clickable spot. But you can't think about how one item might logically work in the situation, because it already has a weird pre-determined role. Some of the puzzle solutions are creative and sort of interesting, but it doesn't feel like gameplay I'm actively involved in. It's like a series of weird red herrings.

Basically, it suffers from typical adventure game logic, but with an anime story line and art style, complete with barely covered big boobed chicks telling you how awesome you are when you figure something out. No thx[/QUOTE]
While I'm not exactly a fan of all the puzzles I've encountered in the game, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about then it comes to the story of this or 999.

already bought a bundle, so cant get in on this deal, but if someone happens to be getting a vita and doesnt want this game, message me, id trade or buy it, thanks.

Basically, it suffers from typical adventure game logic, but with an anime story line and art style, complete with barely covered big boobed chicks telling you how awesome you are when you figure something out. No thx[/QUOTE]

I have come to a bridge and a troll pops out...

[quote name='Ragnorok64']While I'm not exactly a fan of all the puzzles I've encountered in the game, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about then it comes to the story of this or 999.[/QUOTE]

This.

The game isn't for everyone but damn does that dude not understand anything about 999 or Zero.

oh shit, i seem to have attacked a golden cow....alright, challenge accepted.

[quote name='Zerok']Never played the demo, so I'm not sure which puzzle you're referring to. But I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's the first one, the elevator room? Nothing in that room, or any of the other puzzle rooms, had red herrings. Everything you find is used to solve the puzzle and the things you can take and interact with stand out from the things you can't.
[/quote]

That's nice. I'm talking about the composition of the puzzles. They aren't "puzzles" if they make no sense. You apparently missed the important part where I said you get reduced to clicking around because there's no real discernable logic to the puzzles. You see, a puzzle presents a problem, and a good puzzle has a clever but solvable problem. A bad puzzle has a bunch of "ah ha! gotcha!" crap that makes no sense leading to the solution. Some bullshit puzzle is a game that knows nobody can use logic to figure it out, so they just have you brainlessly clicking on stuff until some of those things happen to match up.

For example, this demo basically went like this (prob not 100% correct, this is off the top of my head):
there are 4 rooms, 4 phones, one of the phones unlocks a safe in another room (wtf), which gives you a tape that you put in to a phone that has an answering machine message with a number that you put into the phone which reflects on a mirror behind the phone which gives you different numbers which open a safe that has tinfoil which you cut with a box cutter, which you place in 4 desks with glass tops that reflect on symbols on a wall (naturally!) which give you numbers that open a box behind you which you eventually gives you a coin that you use to scratch off stuff on a poster and part of the scratch off part is gray indicating that you can scratch it off, but other scratch off parts aren't gray, and you'd only know to scratch them off if you randomly tried that. Or if you put it together that the ripped parts on the body outlines of the cots in the rooms corresponded to the poster and that you should scratch those parts. Because of course the body parts correspond to the poster! I mean, the description when you look at the cot says "The girl here thinks there's something inside this cot" and you think "oh well, I'll just use this box cutter to get the thing that's inside the cot." but no, that's a translation error or something. So you get the numbers on the poster, which you put into the phone or safe or something, but it's not working, then you realize the symbols on the poster were upside down, so the 6s and 9s were too, and then you get that which gives you something else which opens the safe.

Which part of this makes a lick of sense?

Love the story all you want, but both you and I know that nobody is deducing any of this crap on their own and are just clicking around until they find out what convoluted way the developers intended you to do something. The only parts that make sense are when you get numbers to put into a phone or safe lock.

So very sorry I didn't find this fun.

LOL! I'm gonna go ahead and assume you never played 999, because this couldn't be further from the truth. And it's not an adventure game, more of a visual novel with some puzzles.

when the hell did i say i played 999...

"Adventure game logic" does not mean I'm saying it's an adventure game. I'm saying the puzzles suffer from adventure game logic. The puzzles in adventure games are often not very intuitive and make you just click around until you match A with B, where A and B are things nobody except the puzzle creator would know or think to do.

Phoenix Wright has the same thing sometimes...not an adventure game, but parts where you have to present something. You're like "oh, i'll show the scissors, which this character had and must have used to murder someone, that's definitely the answer." But noooo, it was the printer ink cartridge, which the character's father invented while in a boat stranded at sea with a guy whose 3rd cousin invented scissors---THE VERY SAME SCISSORS USED TO MURDER THE VICTIM!! That kind of stuff.

and the demo basically made it sound like Gantz...people randomly trapped in an inexplicable situation who have to figure out for themselves what to do and who will team up with who and who will betray who. Don't blame me if the demo did a crappy job of presenting the story. But the foundation of the plot is straight from Gantz, an anime.

And yes, a big boobed chick who is barely covered bouncing around and complimenting you when you figure out the duck quacks at a frequency which unlocks the door to the door to the feather that tickles the nose of the dog who throws up the key because feathers make him ill.

GOTY

You should spoiler that stuff. I haven't played Virtue's Last Reward yet. Please play 999 first. If you don't like big boobed chicks who compliment you that's fine. Just give both games a chance with at least one play-through.

I think you just don't understand what kind of game this is.

if you were expecting Professor Layton type puzzles, you were wrong. (And I love Prof Layton games.)

So don't hate because of your own misconceptions. It's like buying Halo Wars and ranting that the shooting mechanics aren't right.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']You should spoiler that stuff. I haven't played Virtue's Last Reward yet. Please play 999 first. If you don't like big boobed chicks who compliment you that's fine. Just give both games a chance with at least one play-through.[/QUOTE]

"I hated the gameplay completely"

"please play 999 first"

alrighty then :lol:

i don't even get how that can be considered a spoiler, since it's a non-sense puzzle anyway, but okay, i'll spoiler it.

[quote name='confoosious']I think you just don't understand what kind of game this is.

if you were expecting Professor Layton type puzzles, you were wrong. (And I love Prof Layton games.)

So don't hate because of your own misconceptions. It's like buying Halo Wars and ranting that the shooting mechanics aren't right.[/QUOTE]

well, consider my mind blown. the demo made it out like puzzles were the gameplay and were supposed to be legitimately good. My apologies if that's not the point...I tend to be more gameplay oriented, that might be where we're all clashing.
There seems to be universal praise for the game, so I gave the demo an honest shot.

[quote name='confoosious']now you're just being a dick.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Seraphinianus']well, consider my mind blown. the demo made it out like puzzles were the gameplay and were supposed to be legitimately good. My apologies if that's not the point...I tend to be more gameplay oriented, that might be where we're all clashing.
There seems to be universal praise for the game, so I gave the demo an honest shot.[/QUOTE]

actually i just totally conceded the argument to you guys. i get it, i missed the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back