[Dead]$50 off Kindle Fire HD 8.9" - Amazon Gold Box Deal of the Day

Sway

CAGiversary!
Feedback
73 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?&docId=1000886021

Today only, save $50 on a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" when you use the promotional code FIREHD89 at checkout. Offer good while supplies last.

Terms and Conditions:
• The promotion is valid for a limited time only. Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel it at any time.
• If you do not purchase the qualifying item when the promotion is in effect, the promotional code will not apply.
• The promotion is limited to one per customer.
• The promotion applies only to Kindle Fire HD 8.9” and Kindle Fire HD 8.9” 4G LTE Wireless devices sold and shipped by Amazon Digital Services. It does not apply to the same products sold by other sellers.
• If you return items purchased using a promotion code, we will subtract the value of the promotion code from your return credit.
• Promotion codes may not be combined with other offers.
• Does not apply to orders placed with 1-Click.
• Offer good while supplies last.
• Void where prohibited.
• If you violate any of the Terms and Conditions, the promotion will be invalid, and the promotional code discount will not apply.

Prices before the discount:
Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
16 GB w/ Special Offers $299
16 GB w/o SO $314
32 GB w/ SO $369
32 GB w/o SO $384

Kindle Fire HD 8.9" with 4G LTE Wireless
32 GB w/ SO $499
32 GB w/o SO $514
64 GB w/ SO $599
64 GB w/o SO $614

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. I was debating if I should get the 7" HD or the 8.9 for my parents for Christmas. This solves that problem. Thanks OP.

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']I totally read that as "$50 kindle fire HD" :([/QUOTE]
I gotta go to bed, cuz I thought it said the same thing

[quote name='JediDeath']Man, sometimes I hate living in California, $26 for tax and recycling...[/QUOTE]
Just sometimes?

i wonder if all of these fire sales are going on cause a news report a few weeks back said your going to see tablets like these for 50 or under come summer (cause all of the ads you can get will force the price down)

they even said the apple ones could fall under 150

be interesting to see

[quote name='slidecage']i wonder if all of these fire sales are going on cause a news report a few weeks back said your going to see tablets like these for 50 or under come summer (cause all of the ads you can get will force the price down)

they even said the apple ones could fall under 150

be interesting to see[/QUOTE]
I think it could be because they are not selling as good as their 7" tablet. I bought a 7" HD and love it. The size is just perfect so I bought the 8.9" thinking it would be even better but it's not. It's not that good for web browsing. Videos do look good, some games do and reading books look awesome. That was my favorite part, using to read.

So i'm sending it back. I'm actually thinking of getting an iPad mini. I think the smaller tablets are becoming more popular because of their size.

[quote name='Rodster']I think it could be because they are not selling as good as their 7" tablet. I bought a 7" HD and love it. The size is just perfect so I bought the 8.9" thinking it would be even better but it's not. It's not that good for web browsing. Videos do look good, some games do and reading books look awesome. That was my favorite part, using to read.

So i'm sending it back. I'm actually thinking of getting an iPad mini. I think the smaller tablets are becoming more popular because of their size.[/QUOTE]

I agree. People who want the bigger tablet are going to spend a little more and get an iPad 2 or a lot more and get a new-er iPad. I do think Amazon and Google have a chance w/ the 7" models though, that lame screen over-priced mini doesn't look all that appealing at the moment. Maybe in the spring w/ a price drop and Retina display.

[quote name='Rodster']I think it could be because they are not selling as good as their 7" tablet. I bought a 7" HD and love it. The size is just perfect so I bought the 8.9" thinking it would be even better but it's not. It's not that good for web browsing. Videos do look good, some games do and reading books look awesome. That was my favorite part, using to read.

So i'm sending it back. I'm actually thinking of getting an iPad mini. I think the smaller tablets are becoming more popular because of their size.[/QUOTE]
8.9 is better for comic book readers.

I love my 8.9 Kindle, well worth the $.

[quote name='styl3s']8.9 is better for comic book readers.

I love my 8.9 Kindle, well worth the $.[/QUOTE]
Agreed, I enjoyed the 8.9 for reading but for everything else the 7" HD is the way to go. I also found the battery life to be better on the 7" HD as well.

Since I bought my 7" Kindle Fire HD it has become a pleasurable part of my everyday life. Now that the cold weather is here I love staying in my warm, comfy bed just a little longer in the mornings and checking my emails, Amazon deal of the day, and some other online stuff with my Kindle.

Netflix works great, it's so cool to be able to watch a movie anywhere in my house. I think it's been a terrific value. At first it seems YouTube wouldn't work most of the time, but there was a recent update and now YouTube seems to be working ok.

And of course, if you love to read like I do, the Kindle is absolutely fantastic for that purpose.

-V-

As stupid as this sounds I ordered one and got my $50 discount. The slightly over sized display is just perfect for reading and i've been doing a lot of that especially when I found a website that links legally free downloadable books from Amazon.

The new KF-HD's have this new feature where you can change the background color which makes reading books even more amazing. I was tempted to buy a Kindle Paperwhite but after using the new Kindle Fire HD's I prefer those over the Paperwhite's.

[quote name='aaronrodgers']Anyone chime in if this is worth it? Also, how bad are the "special offers" for 15 extra you might as well get it without it, right?[/QUOTE]

It isn't locked. you can turn them off for $15 at any point I believe - so i would just see if it bothers you or not.

I don't know how the special offers work on the Fire line - on the old Kindle readers it's just screensaver ads that don't get in the way and sometimes give you coupons on Amazon stuff.

I considered buying one for my mom, but she's pretty into the iOS ecosystem at this point, and I'm not sure it makes sense to switch.

I'm thinking about getting the 7'' one from Gamestop with all my credit. I'll be using this mostly for reading - can anybody tell me if the 7'' is sufficient for this or does it strain the eyes (as opposed to the larger Kindle).

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']I'm thinking about getting the 7'' one from Gamestop with all my credit. I'll be using this mostly for reading - can anybody tell me if the 7'' is sufficient for this or does it strain the eyes (as opposed to the larger Kindle).[/QUOTE]

I just got the 7" from Gamestop today using credit since they're offering the free $25 Amazon card. It's for my wife but I hear that there are multiple screen/display options that reduce strain.

[quote name='chriscolbert']I just got the 7" from Gamestop today using credit since they're offering the free $25 Amazon card. It's for my wife but I hear that there are multiple screen/display options that reduce strain.[/QUOTE]

any anyone confirm Gamestop only charged 29.99 for a 2 year replacement on these

i was told that today but they said they did not have any in stock i had to pay the entire price to get one

i call Bs since amazon wants i think 80 and best buy is 70 i think

if i could get a fire with 2 year replacment for 230 wtih 25 gift card i do it

[quote name='slidecage']any anyone confirm Gamestop only charged 29.99 for a 2 year replacement on these

i was told that today but they said they did not have any in stock i had to pay the entire price to get one

i call Bs since amazon wants i think 80 and best buy is 70 i think

if i could get a fire with 2 year replacment for 230 wtih 25 gift card i do it[/QUOTE]
I think a Square warranty is pretty cheap. I would check their prices. :bouncy:

[quote name='Mako1215']Nexus 7[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm leaning towards. I've heard that due to the *slightly* lower resolution on the Nexus 7, the Tegra 3 compliments the tablet quite well. That, plus not being locked to Amazon's services exclusively, PLUS the fact that the Nexus 7 is pretty much guaranteed to be getting the latest flavor(s) of Android...yeah, I think I'll ask the wife for this for Christmas.

After some waffling, I finally decided to bite on this. Gonna sell my first-gen Fire to Gamestop.

I went between this and a Nexus 7, but the fact that I have Prime, the bigger screen, and HDMI out did it for me.

[quote name='SynGamer']That's what I'm leaning towards. I've heard that due to the *slightly* lower resolution on the Nexus 7, the Tegra 3 compliments the tablet quite well. That, plus not being locked to Amazon's services exclusively, PLUS the fact that the Nexus 7 is pretty much guaranteed to be getting the latest flavor(s) of Android...yeah, I think I'll ask the wife for this for Christmas.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean "locked" to Amazon? How bad is that? Are the apps garbage compared to Google, can you change it at all?

[quote name='SynGamer']That's what I'm leaning towards. I've heard that due to the *slightly* lower resolution on the Nexus 7, the Tegra 3 compliments the tablet quite well. That, plus not being locked to Amazon's services exclusively, PLUS the fact that the Nexus 7 is pretty much guaranteed to be getting the latest flavor(s) of Android...yeah, I think I'll ask the wife for this for Christmas.[/QUOTE]

They said that the Google Nexus One was gonna get all the latest flavors of Android. We got it nearly dead last.

I would go for the 8.9 Tablet, It's going to be easily rootable and get vanilla firmware sooner or later.

[quote name='aaronrodgers']What do you mean "locked" to Amazon? How bad is that? Are the apps garbage compared to Google, can you change it at all?[/QUOTE]

1) You can side load Google Play, takes rooting, pretty easy to do.

2) I've found apps to be better quality for the Kindle Fire when they are designed for the Kindle Fire. Those you usually see as HD apps or Kindle Fire apps.

[quote name='SynGamer']So...Nexus 7 for $199 or the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" for $250?[/QUOTE]

Actually, get the 32gb Nexus 7. You'll be glad for the extra storage. I have a launch 16gb Nexus 7 and have been very happy with it. Had a non-HD Kindle Fire, which wasn't bad, but I got really tired of the gimped android OS, slow browser, and limited apps (vs Google Play). Unless you're totally plugged in to Amazon digital content, their tablets just fall a bit short.

I almost bit on the 8.9 KF HD, but sense prevailed and I passed. Great price for a nice tablet with a very sharp screen, though!

so lets see

gamestop

fire HD 199 with 25 buck gift card (175) + 30 bucks for 2 year warranty total 205

Amazon

FIRE HD 8.9 250 + 50 bucks for 2 year warranty total 300 bucks

Not really sure if 1.9 inches bigger is worth 100 bucks

For what it's worth, the 7" tablets are much easier to use and hold with one hand, while larger tablets like the 8.9 KF are going to offer better movie viewing and larger images. I love my little Nexus 7, use it every day, and games look and run great on it. But I can see good reasons for a larger tablet too, and will get one eventually. And one last thing, skip the warranty and save the money on that, brings all your prices down!

[quote name='chimpmeister']For what it's worth, the 7" tablets are much easier to use and hold with one hand, while larger tablets like the 8.9 KF are going to offer better movie viewing and larger images. I love my little Nexus 7, use it every day, and games look and run great on it. But I can see good reasons for a larger tablet too, and will get one eventually. And one last thing, skip the warranty and save the money on that, brings all your prices down![/QUOTE]

30 bucks is not bad for a 2 year warranty that covers even if you drop it or spill something on it .... so you get a new system.

i find it sort of weird that gamestop put out an email last weekend saying 25 buck gift card with fire until jan 31 2013

went into another store tonight and i was told They will no longer carry any FIRE items

so dont know what the hell is going on with gamestop

[quote name='XenoNinjaX']only reason to get this is if you're a prime user and loves to watch their unlimited movies on a tablet. otherwise go with nexus7.[/QUOTE]

Heard nexus 7 is bad for reading eBooks, all my books are on Kindle and a a Prime guy.
Looks like Amazon is opening it up for more Android apps too.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']Heard nexus 7 is bad for reading eBooks, all my books are on Kindle and a a Prime guy.
Looks like Amazon is opening it up for more Android apps too.[/QUOTE]
It's true as I own a Nexus 7. It's not that it looks bad, it's just that it doesn't look as good as when you are reading on a Kindle product. Plus the new color reading background is a sweet feature. It makes reading books on the Kindle Fire HD series even better. I personally love the reverse white text. :cool:

bread's done
Back