* * * * * 2 votes

Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin - April 7, 2015

#271 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

Yeah I lurk Gamefaqs. Toxic community with useful info I'd never discover myself.  :D/

Hah I don't want things spoiled though so my lurking is extremely limited by nature!

If I weren't so busy at work I would probably drawing out some sweet fight scenes of my favorite battles so far haha

#272 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

I think it might also be that so many of the boss lair's are so uninspired and/or small, perhaps that changes as you do deeper

I've beaten/faced 6 or so bosses and pretty much the only boss area that sticks out as slightly memorable is the room with all the stone rats. I also haven't heard any boss tunes yet that have stuck in my head.

#273 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

I think it might also be that so many of the boss lair's are so uninspired and/or small, perhaps that changes as you do deeper

I've beaten/faced 6 or so bosses and pretty much the only boss area that sticks out as slightly memorable is the room with all the stone rats. I also haven't heard any boss tunes yet that have stuck in my head.

That is a good point. There are a few that are cooler later but I think since there are so many more bosses than before, the areas for them are indeed much less intense and memorable since they are more frequent.

#274 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

I also haven't heard any boss tunes yet that have stuck in my head.

I can't stop listening to Old Dragonslayer's theme.  :-

#275 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Argh, the biggest downside to getting this game digitally.  No soundtrack :(

#276 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

Argh, the biggest downside to getting this game digitally.  No soundtrack :(

I completely forgot to even listen to it!!!!!

I was for too preoccupied with just playing haha

I know what I am listening to later tonight!

#277 jman2avatar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   382 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

jman2avatar

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

Where do I buy lifegems?  I am out of them and the game is kicking my ass.

#278 Feeding the Abscess   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3254 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Feeding the Abscess

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

Not sure if serious....

I'm serious. Loved the first two, but I just don't see a point in playing the same game for the third time if there's absolutely no premise for doing so. If I wanted to do that, I could just pop in the first two games and play them again.

In short, I'm becoming a cranky old man. My patience for this sort of stuff is nowhere near where it was when I was younger.

#279 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

Where do I buy lifegems?  I am out of them and the game is kicking my ass.

The old hag lady in the early area of the Forest of Fallen Giants or whatever the name. Talk to her a bunch until she is out of dialogue and then she will make her way back to Majula. From there she has an unlimited supply of lifegems to buy.

I'm serious. Loved the first two, but I just don't see a point in playing the same game for the third time if there's absolutely no premise for doing so. If I wanted to do that, I could just pop in the first two games and play them again.

In short, I'm becoming a cranky old man. My patience for this sort of stuff is nowhere near where it was when I was younger.

Hah damn alright. 

Well I feel there is a bunch of stuff added to this game to justify a playthrough. The main draw for me with the Souls series was exploration and feeling accomplished with nearly every action. The world is all new and the story develops quite a bit over time through the dialogue and what not.

To each his own however, the world needs cranky old men too ; P

#280 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

A huge part of the appeal for these games for me is not knowing where to go or what traps exist or where the enemies are, though.  Once you've explored everywhere and you know all the enemy positions/scripted actions, the game becomes much less fun (unless you just want to PvP or do a challenge run or something).  So that's something the first two games obviously can't give you.  

I dunno about the story here.  The first two games hid the story almost completely, though, and you had to figure it out via item descriptions and observing the environments, though.  So I'd expect the same here.

#281 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   7071 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

I just had one of the most stressful times with the boss of the PotD covenant sidequest.   On my 4th time fighting him, I got lucky to where he didn't split into two in order to attack me separately.  I ended up killing him with me only having a tiny sliver of health, but somehow he still managed to get a shot off and killed me while he was dead.   Needless to say, I was angry.  Another 7 attempts and he's started splitting again and I'm getting wrecked. On my next try, I finally killed him again and had a decent health, however for some reason the split enemy I wasn't attacking didn't go through the death animation the one I was attacking did and still managed a black hole attack which managed to kill me right after the "You Achieved Victory" message popped up. Now, I was ready to throw my controller through my tv.

A few more attempts later, I had a decent thing going, using my small attacks to slowly chip away and keep him from splitting, then once he split I just laid on him with my strongest attacks until they were at about 30% health.  From there I just took my time using homing arrows while trying to force them into melee attacks (as their melee attacks were super easy to dodge) and with almost full health I was able to take them out.  This time, once I killed them, I ran my ass away as fast as I could to prevent any more post-death surprises.  Once the victory message & soul drop message popped up I jumped out of my chair and let out a "YES!" so loud I'm sure the neighbors down the street heard it.

#282 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

I just had one of the most stressful times with the boss of the PotD covenant sidequest.   On my 4th time fighting him, I got lucky to where he didn't split into two in order to attack me separately.  I ended up killing him with me only having a tiny sliver of health, but somehow he still managed to get a shot off and killed me while he was dead.   Needless to say, I was angry.  Another 7 attempts and he's started splitting again and I'm getting wrecked. On my next try, I finally killed him again and had a decent health, however for some reason the split enemy I wasn't attacking didn't go through the death animation the one I was attacking did and still managed a black hole attack which managed to kill me right after the "You Achieved Victory" message popped up. Now, I was ready to throw my controller through my tv.

A few more attempts later, I had a decent thing going, using my small attacks to slowly chip away and keep him from splitting, then once he split I just laid on him with my strongest attacks until they were at about 30% health.  From there I just took my time using homing arrows while trying to force them into melee attacks (as their melee attacks were super easy to dodge) and with almost full health I was able to take them out.  This time, once I killed them, I ran my ass away as fast as I could to prevent any more post-death surprises.  Once the victory message & soul drop message popped up I jumped out of my chair and let out a "YES!" so loud I'm sure the neighbors down the street heard it.

I had a similar experience though not quite as tragic haha

When fighting Duke's Dear Freja I kept getting so close to killing her. Then when I finally did I was all excited and not even paying attention when one spider that was still left lunged at me and brought me to the point where I had almost no visible health left. I was so close to literally pooping my pants hahaha. I like regripped the controller fully and just darted away to heal and then was sure to kill it carefully.

#283 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

A huge part of the appeal for these games for me is not knowing where to go or what traps exist or where the enemies are, though.  Once you've explored everywhere and you know all the enemy positions/scripted actions, the game becomes much less fun (unless you just want to PvP or do a challenge run or something).  So that's something the first two games obviously can't give you.  

I dunno about the story here.  The first two games hid the story almost completely, though, and you had to figure it out via item descriptions and observing the environments, though.  So I'd expect the same here.

and supposedly on NG+, things will change, added enemies and changes in enemy placement.

#284 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   15039 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

^ If you are having trouble with normal mobs, then they must be super-tough. I'm curious to see that part now!

They're not hard per se, it's that they spawn in pairs so it was time consuming and annoying.  Much more hilarious seeing them roll off the bridge instead.  BTW, I'm like level 110 now with zero points spent on VGR and it's rare that I get one shot by anything, even while 2H stance.  If I do, it's because I'm being bad.

That rat covenant is griefer central.  I got summoned twice while making my way to the boss and all nerds in there do is throw the item degrade pots at you while running away towards their traps.  I got bored with them and just killed myself to get out.  Not wasting my time on worthless pvp lol.  I think it bugged my game too because I was reading a black phantom should have spawned towards the entrance to the boss yet one never did for me.  Seriously, if I need to play their game offline just to get content to spawn without it glitching because bads want to troll, then I will.

I also got legitimately stuck on the smelter boss for two hours because of glitches and bad RNG.  While dodge rolling his forward thrust attack (not downward swing), you can not get hit but still collide with his sword model so that you're pushed backward towards the wall.  I got stuck in the wall because of this about ten times over the course of my wipes on him and once you're stuck, you're dead; nothing you can do to get out.  And the only reason I was dying repeatedly was partially learning the timing on his attacks but mostly that the arena is too small.  Greatsword enemies are especially difficult to dodge properly as melee and circle strafing while dodging is the ONLY way to do it, but when he would get close to a wall I'd need to bait him back towards the middle.  In doing so, I open myself up to making dodging harder as I close the gap and his ranged attack, that since the distance from him to me is variable, changes the timing of dodging.  I died a lot to that just because of timing it perfectly was constantly changing speeds.  Did I mention I was 2H stance for every attempt and not using the flame ring or any spells for fire resist? :lol:

That said, easily my favorite fight so far since it actually wasn't rollface.  They need more fights that force you to not rely on shields and percentage based phases.  Learning that fight was the most fun I've had all game.  I just wish the arena were more open because once I had him in the rhythm of being toe-to-toe, I'm a dodge master.

Lastly, my gear is Drangleic Greatsword +2 (raw infused: boosted the attack nearly 25 points over scaling for now), Drangleic shield (for the 100% physical mitigation; haven't needed to swap to silver black shield for the high magic resist yet), Merchant hat (for the item increase), full Drangleic suit (no upgrades), silver covetous ring (10% increased souls; works on bosses), ring of binding (required for effective health since I'm fully hollowed 100% of the time), ring of blades (+20 base attack on weapon), and I swap the cloranthy ring (I maxed my stamina at 120 before diminishing returns set in for only 1 stamina per point of endurance) for the cat ring when needed.  My stats are 12 VGR (starting value), 20 END (this gets you 120 stamina before diminishing returns), 21 VIT (enough that I can swap rings without going over 70% weight threshold), 13 ATT (such a worthless stat; this should have been baked into INT/FAITH for spell slots), 30 STR (was experimenting with greatshields, this will be dropped after a respec), 25 DEX (to use dragon rider bow I think), 10 ADP (until I see people with some math on this for roll cap breaks, not bothering), 18 INT (was speccing for moonlight GS before I knew about respecs heh), 18 FAITH (for homeward and slightly more healing from heal).

I'm almost to shady forest and finally the area I've been wanting since the start of the game is after that.  I plan to beat that place and use a NG+ bonfire item so I can get the pale soul I need to buy moonlight greatsword.  Then it'll be time to respec and rape in pvp. :twisted:

#285 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

and supposedly on NG+, things will change, added enemies and changes in enemy placement.

Also, you are completely separated from the people that are in NG. 

#286 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

Last Sinner was annoying to me because I had to keep a certain NPC alive for a trophy. Sinner just went to town on the NPC until I realized wearing the aggro ring made it a lot easier.

I just got to Sinners last night. Who is the NPC? I'm still trying to find out if covenant items are farmable before I decide I'm going to go for the platinum, but it would be nice to see if I could get this done in the mean time anyway.

Lastly, my gear is Drangleic Greatsword +2 (raw infused: boosted the attack nearly 25 points over scaling for now), Drangleic shield (for the 100% physical mitigation; haven't needed to swap to silver black shield for the high magic resist yet), Merchant hat (for the item increase), full Drangleic suit (no upgrades), silver covetous ring (10% increased souls; works on bosses), ring of binding (required for effective health since I'm fully hollowed 100% of the time), ring of blades (+20 base attack on weapon), and I swap the cloranthy ring (I maxed my stamina at 120 before diminishing returns set in for only 1 stamina per point of endurance) for the cat ring when needed.  My stats are 12 VGR (starting value), 20 END (this gets you 120 stamina before diminishing returns), 21 VIT (enough that I can swap rings without going over 70% weight threshold), 13 ATT (such a worthless stat; this should have been baked into INT/FAITH for spell slots), 30 STR (was experimenting with greatshields, this will be dropped after a respec), 25 DEX (to use dragon rider bow I think), 10 ADP (until I see people with some math on this for roll cap breaks, not bothering), 18 INT (was speccing for moonlight GS before I knew about respecs heh), 18 FAITH (for homeward and slightly more healing from heal).

Wow - I've been building nearly the same as you. I didn't know about that Merchant Hat though. I just got that Vangarl's helmet thing and was using that. If I switch to that hat it will decrease my defense but give me more weight allowance to use a different sword/shield. Thanks for the info on Endurance. It is good to know there is a "max" that I am not that far away from. Otherwise I was aiming for 18 Faith as well (think I'm at 17 now). I have a way to go with STR and DEX though. I'm still using the Fire Sword (at +3 now) but will probably move on to something else soon.

So I got my first two PSN messages from people in-game last night. The first was "y ru yellow?" (since I was in the sun covenant and he summoned me). The second said simply "terrible" after I summoned two phantoms for the trio boss in Lost Bastille and died about half way through the fight. I'm not sure if he was referring to me, the other guy (who died quickly) or the fight overall. I actually did much better that time than previously. I was pissed at the guy who wrote me because he bailed off the platform while me and the other phantom tried to take out the one up there first. That is better than going off and getting all 3 after you at once. He just went down to the bottom and sat in a corner while the one on the platform knocked me off and killed the other phantom. Then me and him were trying to take on all 3 down below and I didn't see one on the side that hit me.

I went back in right away with 2 other phantoms (I saw the same guy but passed him up) and we won the fight pretty easily that time.

Is it just me, or does messaging people using PSN about (and especially during) this game just seem like bad form? It kind of takes away from the solitary feeling (even with summons) and limited communication purposely built into the game. Unless it is a CAG or someone else I know and we're trading or something, I don't want to communicate with other players beyond the customary bow when summoning.

#287 KrebStar   Blowhole CAGiversary!   549 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:44 PM

That rat covenant is griefer central.  I got summoned twice while making my way to the boss and all nerds in there do is throw the item degrade pots at you while running away towards their traps.  I got bored with them and just killed myself to get out.  Not wasting my time on worthless pvp lol.  I think it bugged my game too because I was reading a black phantom should have spawned towards the entrance to the boss yet one never did for me.  Seriously, if I need to play their game offline just to get content to spawn without it glitching because bads want to troll, then I will.

For anyone who finds themselves in this position, the black separation crystal is your friend. There's no need to feed the filthy rats a free win. I've had a few people warp out of my game using it while I let them deal with the rats in the very first section before approaching. Not sure if it's a bug or intentional, but it's certainly worth trying.

I've received quite a few bitchy PSN messages from people that I killed as a rat, despite the fact that I usually went out of my way to make it a fair fight every time, rather than using the many, dirty tricks available. I'm down to only needing five more tails, maybe I'll try being a sneaky rat bastard for a while.

#288 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

Also, you are completely separated from the people that are in NG. 

What do you mean?

#289 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

NG+ players can't interact with those in NG. NG+ has its own pool of players: summoning, invading, SL/SM. But yeah, also more enemies and such. 

#290 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:48 AM

NG+ players can't interact with those in NG. NG+ has its own pool of players: summoning, invading, SL/SM. But yeah, also more enemies and such. 

Ah, interesting.

Is it strictly NG and NG+ in general or does each subsequent '+' have its own as well?

#291 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:14 AM

I believe its just NG and NG+ in general according to what the director said. Thank goodness. 

#292 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:36 AM

I believe its just NG and NG+ in general according to what the director said. Thank goodness. 

Ah that is good. That would be a bit ridiculous if there was one for each playthrough.

Ugh, I can't wait until Thursday night when I can splurge and play againnnnnn 

#293 Kameleon   Gaming Mark CAGiversary!   464 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Kameleon

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:53 AM

Oh man, I just realized I accidentally killed a friendly NPC.

Spoiler

#294 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:08 AM

Oh man, I just realized I accidentally killed a friendly NPC.

Spoiler

I killed the Gyrn guy in the Wharf from afar because I thought he was bad. The next time I returned there, a gravestone was where he was and by paying souls I was able to bring his spirit there and function as though he were there. Perhaps this will happen with the Manscorpion?

#295 Kameleon   Gaming Mark CAGiversary!   464 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Kameleon

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

I killed the Gyrn guy in the Wharf from afar because I thought he was bad. The next time I returned there, a gravestone was where he was and by paying souls I was able to bring his spirit there and function as though he were there. Perhaps this will happen with the Manscorpion?

Oh, I'll go check that out. If this is a feature that was added in the game for all NPCs, that's pretty good.

#296 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

Hah - I almost did the same thing. I started shooting arrows at him from below because that house was infested with those nasty spider things and I thought he was just another one hiding around the corner. Luckily part of the window blocked my shots and I decided to go melee him instead. Then I realized he wasn't a spider ;).

But good on them for adding this feature if it applies to all NPCs. I wonder if that is a good way to get some of the special items they have (that you only get when you kill them) but still be able to interact/buy stuff from them anyway?

I also find it funny how many bloodstains I find around NPCs in areas where there are otherwise no enemies. I guess lots of people attack them and don't fare too well ;).

#297 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

This guy:

http://www.gamefaqs....uls-ii/68827157

thinks you should put Adaptability up to 35. Mine is at 10 - I made it that way just to get it out of single digits ;).

#298 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

But good on them for adding this feature if it applies to all NPCs. I wonder if that is a good way to get some of the special items they have (that you only get when you kill them) but still be able to interact/buy stuff from them anyway?

Not all the NPCs have graves. Eh, From has gone Soft.  [-(  :D/   

This guy:

http://www.gamefaqs....uls-ii/68827157

thinks you should put Adaptability up to 35. Mine is at 10 - I made it that way just to get it out of single digits ;).

Gamefaqs still making claims without testing still? Seems legit.  

#299 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

There was a pretty good thread on Reddit about ADP with side by side video testing.  The videos actually made it seem like it wasn't too worth it, even though shield raising, estus drinking, etc were faster.  However, they also didn't take into account iFrames.  

Personally, I started at 3 (Bandit) and raised mine to 21 (I think?) so far, and it seems to have made a big difference to me.  However, it might just be that I'm getting used to the changed control mechanics from Dark Souls.  I am certainly having more success dodging and rolling.

Last night wasn't a great play session for me.  Took me way too long to get down the well - didn't realize you have to be full human and I tried lots of times as a hollow.  Than I died many many times in the Upper Gutter.  Those pink dog things are bullshit with their hit box and attack range.  They hit all the time even when nowhere near you or facing the other way.  Ah, well.  

#300 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

Ya, they went a little crazy with fall damage. I was getting frustrated with a level the first day I was playing (trying to make that jump in forest of the giants after the Heide Knight) so I decided to go back and play the tutorial section I skipped over. Well there are several drops there that are near fatal if you have near default vigor and are already at 50% HP from deaths.