* * * * * 2 votes

Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin - April 7, 2015

#331 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14961 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:29 AM

Finally got my moonlight sword tonight (used bonfire ascetic).  Freya on NG+ was a bitch, so if anyone has trouble with her let me know for some tips.  Already upgraded it to +4 and omg does it own (so pissed the strong attack still damages the blade though :().  Looks like ring of blades does not add anything to it since it's pure magic damage, so I swapped it for the second dragon ring (this ring is OP IMO).  Also rocking havel's greatshield and laughing off all blocked attacks now.  Finally at the point where I can start experimenting and having fun with my build. :D

BTW io, the key you got off those giants opens a door in the gutter (for havel's set) and the area you found it in.

#332 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:01 AM

Sorry if this is not the right thread but

I posted this on the DkS2 thread in the deals forum, but I'm just wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience.
My chances on getting my hands on the Black Armor edition is pretty slim now, huh?

Amazon got more in stock earlier today. supposedly they have 748 currently.

http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Going back to the discussion from a few days ago, I don't know what you guys are talking about, the 3rd bonfire in the Forest of the Giants isn't that close to the second. I imagine it is mainly placed where it is both so you can easily practice on the tuttle knights and so there is a warp location close to that weird tree that I am sure will eventually do something when I find the right item.

I give up trying to make the jump to that item over the first turtle knight which guards the they way to the Pursuer, took off all my gear and I still couldn't make it after trying a dozen times.

#333 evilw0n   Deals & Games CAGiversary!   1813 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:27 AM

Anyone tell me or give me a clue if there is anything useful to do at the bottom of the Exile cells?  It either there, the Rat area, or the fog in the forest next.

#334 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:39 AM

Jodou - so that key will open the door on the first ledge you drop down to? I don't remember a door in the Gutter, but I'll go back and look (just hate that place though).

Guardian_Owl - I thought people were talking about the first and second - is there even a third? But while those two do seem sort of close given the previous games, I don't have a problem with them there since that is sort of the "starter" area. The first two later in the Huntsmans Corpse are ridiculously close, though. Once you knock down a tree you can go from one bonfire to the other without encountering any enemies. That shortcut is useless since you can just warp back to the other if you need to. There are a few other places like that too.

Anyone tell me or give me a clue if there is anything useful to do at the bottom of the Exile cells?  It either there, the Rat area, or the fog in the forest next.

I'm not sure what you even mean by the "bottom of the Exile cells".

But if you do the fog area, keep to the left and you will come upon an NPC
Spoiler

#335 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

You were right, I think, io.  I got down to the bottom of the Gutter and into Black Gulch.  After running around for just a few mins and seeing the boss once, I don't want any part of that for now.  I'll just go back later (though the boss didn't seem too awful).

Instead I used a lockstone in the Bastille and it opened up the way to the Belfry.  Had my first few PvP exeriences there.  Actually, I joined the covenant, which sounded to me just like the forest invaders, pretty much.  So I was surprised when I immediately got invaded.  I guess Bell people can invade other Bell people?  Had the guy almost dead (and me almost dead as well) when I died from falling through a hole in the floor.  Oh, well.  

Got summoned by someone else for the boss and we fought off two invaders at once while he looked for a third summon sign for the boss.  After we killed them we just went to the boss and took them down.  Awesome fight.  2 people seems like just the right number for the Gargoyles, though I'll give it a few more shots by myself just to see if I can do it 1 v 3.

So now I have Belfry, Black Gulch, Sinner's Rise bosses all waiting, plus finding the rat area and exploring the mist in the Shaded Woods (which I just got to, using the item I found in the Gulch to get past the petrified lady).  Man I love how open this one is!

#336 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

I am so excited to finally play again tonight!!!

At what ATN stat do you get your first actual slot?

since as a Bandit my Faith is already somewhat okay I might as well toss a heal in there or something.

EDIT- Googled it, it is level 10.

I am thinking of making a spellcaster on my next run. That or start as Deprived and just do literally but nothing other than strength and whatever else to equip a weapon.

#337 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Guardian_Owl - I thought people were talking about the first and second - is there even a third? But while those two do seem sort of close given the previous games, I don't have a problem with them there since that is sort of the "starter" area. The first two later in the Huntsmans Corpse are ridiculously close, though. Once you knock down a tree you can go from one bonfire to the other without encountering any enemies. That shortcut is useless since you can just warp back to the other if you need to. There are a few other places like that too.

Ya, once you find the soldier's key from killing the boss there's another door that a lot of people probably miss going back to due to the shortcut through the wall at the second bonfire. Climb down the ladder and follow the original path to the left into the next room with the torch holder and the soldier playing dead (where there was a fog gate) and there is a door there that leads to another small area and the 3rd bonfire.

10 attunement for first slot then next is at 13.

#338 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

At what ATN stat do you get your first actual slot?

since as a Bandit my Faith is already somewhat okay I might as well toss a heal in there or something.

EDIT- Googled it, it is level 10.

I am thinking of making a spellcaster on my next run. That or start as Deprived and just do literally but nothing other than strength and whatever else to equip a weapon.

Yeah  I'm in the same boat.  1 INT, 2 ATN, and 8 FAITH.  So no spells, not even pyro.  I'll probably just make a spellcaster on my second play-through.  Honestly, I did spellcaster for Demon's and Dark Souls for my first play-throughs, and it seems like easy mode compared to just sword and board.  So I'm trying to stick to a fighter for my first run this time.  With so many stats to upgrade, it is kind of freeing not to worry about raising those 3, at least.

#339 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Having a heal miracle is handy, at even mid 10's attunement heal is as fast (or faster) than flask and the HP refil rate is quicker (at least before you get too many bones of saints to burn). It also heals anyone in range so it is quite helpful in coop to top off the host.

#340 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

Yeah  I'm in the same boat.  1 INT, 2 ATN, and 8 FAITH.  So no spells, not even pyro.  I'll probably just make a spellcaster on my second play-through.  Honestly, I did spellcaster for Demon's and Dark Souls for my first play-throughs, and it seems like easy mode compared to just sword and board.  So I'm trying to stick to a fighter for my first run this time.  With so many stats to upgrade, it is kind of freeing not to worry about raising those 3, at least.

Yeah I played as a spellcaster on my later playthroughs in both and it does have a much easier feeling to the game, though in the beginning it is more tough I feel if you are dedicated to just like a dagger after spells run out. With the new hexes and stuff too though it sounds super fun to run around casting spells.

That is why I also want to run as a Deprived too and just do pure strength. That was super fun in Dark Souls being able to annihilate most bosses quickly. By now I know the patterns of most characters so it is more realistic to expect to dodge everything wearing like no armor haha

Having a heal miracle is handy, at even mid 10's attunement heal is as fast (or faster) than flask and the HP refil rate is quicker (at least before you get too many bones of saints to burn). It also heals anyone in range so it is quite helpful in coop to top off the host.

I noticed that about the healing others when I summoned someone to fight the Medusa thing. Do all healing spells have the radial effect like that now? I have not looked into the spells at all.

#341 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

I guess Bell people can invade other Bell people?  Had the guy almost dead (and me almost dead as well) when I died from falling through a hole in the floor.  Oh, well.  

Got summoned by someone else for the boss and we fought off two invaders at once while he looked for a third summon sign for the boss.  After we killed them we just went to the boss and took them down.  Awesome fight.  2 people seems like just the right number for the Gargoyles, though I'll give it a few more shots by myself just to see if I can do it 1 v 3.

Yes, you can invade one another. But you don't have to be in that area to get summoned. You can just wait by the bonfire or do your own thing while waiting to get summoned.

As for the 1vs3 fight, I've never seen that in Bell Sol/Luna in all the times I invaded. It makes me think that there is an actual cap of 2v2 there. 

#342 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

Yep, all the heal spells heal within the circle of light that appear on the ground, once I rolled over and started the heal spell next to a host that had been knocked back and down by a boss so that by the time he rose to his feet he was ready to fight again.

#343 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

Yep, all the heal spells heal within the circle of light that appear on the ground, once I rolled over and started the heal spell next to a host that had been knocked back and down by a boss so that by the time he rose to his feet he was ready to fight again.

That is great to know thanks. Also makes being a super helpful spellcaster summon that much more easy too haha

#344 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

I beat the game tonight.  While the story is still kind of lost on me, I enjoyed it.  

Story

Spoiler

#345 raven054   Banned CAGiversary!   506 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

I am loving this game, usually I am a fps gamer so if is good change of pace for me. I have not played the first DS, though so it was a bit unexpected. After my first charter failing I got the hang of it and started over with a new one. I like the challenge and my viewers on twitch like the rage in seeing my failures. Luckily if I get stuck I have my chat to help me along the way.. I also picked up the guidebook as well, which is really nice. Maybe one day I will venture into playing the first DS and demon souls. I would encourage everyone to try it out even if your not used to rpg, you might like it.

#346 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:56 PM

As for the 1vs3 fight, I've never seen that in Bell Sol/Luna in all the times I invaded. It makes me think that there is an actual cap of 2v2 there. 

I was talking about the boss for 1 v 3 (me by myself fighting three gargoyles at a time).

#347 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

Ah I see. I only fought that boss twice. First time felt so hectic since I was against all five. :whee: I was at a low SL then (46) and I forgot to just focus on one at a time.  Anyway, the Gold serpent+2 ring was worth it the second time I went against it later.  :D

#348 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

Regarding the armor vendor in Marjula, 'ole Gil

gil.jpg

I can confirm, what I described about him the other day as I did it last night, buy

Spoiler
It is interesting, when wearing the full set you look like a Ring Wraith during One Ring vision. I slot it on in my glove slots so I can wear heavier armor.

#349 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

Regarding the armor vendor in Marjula, 'ole Gil

gil.jpg

I can confirm, what I described about him the other day as I did it last night, buy

Spoiler
It is interesting, when wearing the full set you look like a Ring Wraith during One Ring vision. I slot it on in my glove slots so I can wear heavier armor.

I hate the dialogue of that merchant. He becomes such a dick. Like it makes sense and that is his character that oh look business is now booming I can act like this I am rich hooray. But like, don't you think he would be appreciative of us as his catalyst to success?

I almost felt good when he began to forget where home was, but then as usual I still felt bad. Haha

#350 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14961 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

Jodou - so that key will open the door on the first ledge you drop down to? I don't remember a door in the Gutter, but I'll go back and look (just hate that place though).

It's the same ledge you dropped down to get the key in the first place.  The doors are pretty distinct so when you find the other in the gutter, you'll know it.  That one is fairly close to start of the area by jumping to a platform with two mobs on the forward-left.

So, I think the designers forgot these games are meant to be replayed and got overzealous on areas.  I've sunk 60 hours into this game and I'm still only 75% through it.  Couple that with I've missed my first chance to get some trophies because I NEVER summon help on a boss fight (just my playstyle, I like soloing hard content) and I'm 99% sure this will be the first souls platinum I'm skipping.  I don't have the time or desire to attempt each boss with an NPC summon (that can't die during the fight or it ends the chain) on one perfect playthrough.  Patch 2.2 is out next week for FFXIV and I will be playing that pretty much exclusively, so NG+ is pretty much not happening for me.

Open letter to FROM, quality over quantity when it comes to bosses/areas.  Don't make stupid fucking trophy requirements that can be failed from a single event over the course of a lengthy playthrough.  That doesn't rhyme with skill, it rhymes with stupid.  That said, I definitely got my money's worth out of the game but the length of the game and my need to explore everything has just burnt me out on it.  I'm actually getting bored clearing trash to a boss at times and once I've been to the boss door, I find myself just speedrunning to it again if I die. : \

#351 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

Ya, once you find the soldier's key from killing the boss there's another door that a lot of people probably miss going back to due to the shortcut through the wall at the second bonfire. Climb down the ladder and follow the original path to the left into the next room with the torch holder and the soldier playing dead (where there was a fog gate) and there is a door there that leads to another small area and the 3rd bonfire.

10 attunement for first slot then next is at 13.

Whoa - so there's another bonfire in between the two? Yeah, that is silly. I'll have to go back there and look for that. I've been through there a few times, actually, but there didn't seem to be too much to do. I guess I missed the door.

I went down to the fire salamander area and picked up all the treasure down there but I can't get rid of the one blocking the hole. I can pound on him for a while before he turns around. But once he does, he pins me to the wall and blasts me with fireballs. I can't move, roll, dodge, or do anything - my character gets stuck between him and the wall.

Also, I might as well get my attunement to 13 since it is already at 10.

It's the same ledge you dropped down to get the key in the first place.  The doors are pretty distinct so when you find the other in the gutter, you'll know it.  That one is fairly close to start of the area by jumping to a platform with two mobs on the forward-left.

So, I think the designers forgot these games are meant to be replayed and got overzealous on areas.  I've sunk 60 hours into this game and I'm still only 75% through it.  Couple that with I've missed my first chance to get some trophies because I NEVER summon help on a boss fight (just my playstyle, I like soloing hard content) and I'm 99% sure this will be the first souls platinum I'm skipping.  I don't have the time or desire to attempt each boss with an NPC summon (that can't die during the fight or it ends the chain) on one perfect playthrough.  Patch 2.2 is out next week for FFXIV and I will be playing that pretty much exclusively, so NG+ is pretty much not happening for me.

Open letter to FROM, quality over quantity when it comes to bosses/areas.  Don't make stupid fucking trophy requirements that can be failed from a single event over the course of a lengthy playthrough.  That doesn't rhyme with skill, it rhymes with stupid.  That said, I definitely got my money's worth out of the game but the length of the game and my need to explore everything has just burnt me out on it.  I'm actually getting bored clearing trash to a boss at times and once I've been to the boss door, I find myself just speedrunning to it again if I die. : \

I went back to the door in Black Gulch and opened it up. I couldn't do anything in there (there was someone to talk to but it didn't lead to anything). I'll have to find the one in the Gutter - I looked for it but I was looking towards the end of the level so thanks for that info.

I agree - it was great that they removed the NPC helper trophies in DS. Why did they put then back now!? I have actually held off on a few bosses since I don't know which are which for the different NPCs. And then usually when I do a summon I get two people right at the beginning - then I wouldn't see the NPC one which usually is closer to the boss door. I know for sure I missed one of the 4 chances for Lucatiel at the Wharf boss, which was an easy one that I could have kept her alive through (I did that one myself).

I'm wondering if you can get the trophies by trading the armor though - that is, if you just hold it all for a minute like with the rings and weapons before.

But yeah, I feel like you, that it kind of sucks the wind out of doing NG+ since there wouldn't be anything to work towards. I don't mind doing harder boss battles, grinding and farming a bit, etc to get difficult trophies. But when you have to rely on a stupid NPC character not dying for 3 different boss battles that is ridiculous. If the NPCs would just respawn if you died during the fight that would be one thing. Then you could die on purpose if the NPC gets killed and retry the fight. That would be difficult enough - but I take if that happens the NPC will be gone for good.

---------------

Otherwise last night I explored more of the Shaded Ruins (found the fog door). I found my second crystal gecko and saw some scorpion guy NPC though he wouldn't talk to me. Then I took advantage of the server outage to finish off Belfry Luna without having to deal with summons (though once again I didn't go through the door - not doing them because of those stupid NPC summons). Fighting off all those dwarves and the red phantom invader was bad enough without dealing with human invaders. Such a small area to deal with PvP though - completely different than the forest area in Dark Souls.

I tried to get to the ladder in the pit that leads to the locked door (though I'm not sure if I have the right key for it yet) and you can't jump from the ledge at Grave of Saints. There are boards blocking you - the same boards that if you try to jump on them from above they break and you fall to your death. And yet I can't break them with magic or arrows either - frustrating. I know I got to that platform from above once but I'm too hollow to go down the pit again.

#352 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

That's what the aggro ring sold by the cat is likely supposed to help with, keeping NPC summons alive.

#353 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

I'm wondering if you can get the trophies by trading the armor though - that is, if you just hold it all for a minute like with the rings and weapons before.

It doesn't work, a few people tried it. They have to give it to you.

That's what the aggro ring sold by the cat is likely supposed to help with, keeping NPC summons alive.

It does, but like one or two bosses just flat out ignore it and go after the NPCs from my experience.

#354 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

^ D'oh! Oh well... I guess I'll try one and see what happens. I tend not to finish bosses off very quickly though which definitely won't help with regards to keeping the NPCs alive. You can bring the NPC and one human summon though as well, right? Maybe with another player in there it will be a bit easier.

Yeah, I heard about that. I guess I'll give it a try. I suppose if I get killed because of the extra agro, the NPC will still be available to summon.

#355 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

You can bring the NPC and one human summon though as well, right? Maybe with another player in there it will be a bit easier.

Yeah, you can. I notice that during the times I was helping people out with those bosses, the ones that were faith had a much easier time keeping NPCs alive due to healing. All the other builds struggled or failed miserably. Its just a DPS race at that point.

#356 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14961 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

I agree - it was great that they removed the NPC helper trophies in DS. Why did they put then back now!? I have actually held off on a few bosses since I don't know which are which for the different NPCs. And then usually when I do a summon I get two people right at the beginning - then I wouldn't see the NPC one which usually is closer to the boss door. I know for sure I missed one of the 4 chances for Lucatiel at the Wharf boss, which was an easy one that I could have kept her alive through (I did that one myself).

Whats more is the game is buggy.  I've had both my black phantoms not spawn in rat king areas because as soon as I set foot in them I'd get invaded, which for some reason made them not spawn once I got back.  Nothing I tried fixed it.  More to the point, Pate also never showed up after I talked to him initially.  Every NPC I've talked to, I'd exhaust their dialogue until they said the same thing over but for some reason Pate never showed back up where he was supposed to.  This broke an entire chain of events and I can't find him anywhere.

If FROM really expects me to attempt a trophy that could be failed from bugs, deaths, etc then they're retarded.

#357 evilw0n   Deals & Games CAGiversary!   1813 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:12 AM

let me elaborate - the cage at the bottom of the stairs in the Exile cells, is there anything to do down there or is there something else I need to trigger elsewhere?  I can go down there but there is literally nothing for me to do.

#358 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:28 AM

Yay, I'm out of torches partway through the Gutter making it a lot more difficult to progress.. and apparently no vendors sell torches...beautiful. I don't understand the point of making them limited, you are already trading off using a shield or two handing your weapon in exchange for more light.

#359 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:06 AM

Yay, I'm out of torches partway through the Gutter making it a lot more difficult to progress.. and apparently no vendors sell torches...beautiful. I don't understand the point of making them limited, you are already trading off using a shield or two handing your weapon in exchange for more light.

There is always prism stones.  :lol:

#360 Kameleon   Gaming Mark CAGiversary!   464 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Kameleon

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:15 AM

I was trying to get summoned for co-op all day, but each time I'd put down my summon sign, it would say that it couldn't connect to the server. Towards the end of the day the summon sign was finally staying, but I would still disconnnect shortly after being summoned. By the sound of it, it looks like this is happening to others as well.

I also finally respeced my character. I took out all of my ADP and put it into Faith instead. So far, I haven't really noticed a difference in terms of rolls or the response of my character. Even cancelling out of actions seems to be the same. Now, I'm finally able to kill stuff from range with Lightning Spear, instead of picking away at enemies with my bow. This should help me with some bosses that were giving me trouble once I get to NG+.

If I can remember to, I'll write down my stats and gear then post them here tomorrow. It's not a very impressive build, but it looks like it will get me through the rest of the game.