* * * * * 2 votes

Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin - April 7, 2015

#541 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:06 AM

It's a little annoying that they put 5 exploding hollows in the same room as an important NPC is Lost Bastille.

#542 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:44 AM

Got the platinum.  Spoilers -

Spoiler

'Splain please! I noticed on the Wiki that nearly but not quite all of the covenant spells (and by that I mean all the casting stuff) were purchasable from that guy in NG++. Is that just an oversight and you can really buy them all then? I don't want to put in the time for that if not. And what is the easiest way to get Benhart and Lucatiels's stuff. Ascetics on the Rotten and the group of undead worshippers (forget where or what that is but it was easy with Benhart on NG anyway).

It's a little annoying that they put 5 exploding hollows in the same room as an important NPC is Lost Bastille.

Yeah. That was one place where the first thing I did was clear them all out until they stopped spawning.

#543 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

They have dedicated servers for this one, Dark Souls 1 was peer to peer as I understand it is why this is so much better.

I just learned from searching around that only the matching making portion is on dedicated servers, but the coop/invading is still on P2P. That certainly explains a lot now.

#544 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

Yeah, I did finally get phantom backstabbed by an invader last night. So I'm facing off with him and then he takes a few swings so I get a couple in while his stamina is supposedly low. Next thing I know, I'm turned around 180 degrees and he's backstabbing me. WTF!? I attacked forward at him and I just got flipped backwards. At least in DS1 they would just disappear from in front of me and then all of a sudden be behind me backstabbing. This guy somehow flipped my character around.

Yeah... Invading sucks all around. A pox on anyone who does it. Tonight I was trying to get that petrified egg in Dragon's Shrine and I was pretty far in there when some jackass invades. In that part you really can't get back to the beginning, which I usually like to do when invaded so that when I get killed I can recover my souls more easily. I had about 60K with me this time which is more than usual! I guess you can get back if you jump off the ledges but I hadn't gotten in to the throne area yet and for all I knew there were more enemies in there. The last thing I wanted to be doing was engaging an enemy when the phantom shows up. So I sat in the little courtyard you have to fall into (where the mimic is) to get to the egg. I waited... And I waited some more... Finally I said, WTF, this guy is wasting my f*!&%ing time. So I quit the game at the XMB and restarted. Problem solved. But I gave him a good 10-15 minutes before I did that. There should be a time limit and if they don't find you they lose and you get an item.

#545 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

Well, tonight I finished up the memories and then tried to keep Benhart alive during the Giant Lord one. Man, was that a pain. The first 4 or 5 times he ran off and got run over by the giant rolling head. I finally figured out that I need to run in there to trigger that while he's still fighting with the closer ones.

Then, invariably, he'd get pounded a few times by the fireballs and not have much health left by the time we got to the Giant Lord. I couldn't heal him because he kept running forward instead of following me.

So a few more times I got killed trying to either heal him or trying to take out the Giant Lord quickly before Benhart got finished off. Finally, I did it with Benhart having a sliver of health left. Then the idiot started to run back towards where the fireballs are! He disappeared and I didn't see the vanquished sign come up but it was also right when a fireball hit. I'm hoping he just faded away like he was supposed to after we won. Man, what a pain.

Is there any chance of him surviving the throne stuff? Does he only have to make it through one of those?

Then I went and tried my hand at the king. Yeah, I got slaughtered. I need to read up on that. The problem with both him and the dragon is that are they are a pain to get back to.

#546 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

Well, tonight I finished up the memories and then tried to keep Benhart alive during the Giant Lord one. Man, was that a pain. The first 4 or 5 times he ran off and got run over by the giant rolling head. I finally figured out that I need to run in there to trigger that while he's still fighting with the closer ones.

Then, invariably, he'd get pounded a few times by the fireballs and not have much health left by the time we got to the Giant Lord. I couldn't heal him because he kept running forward instead of following me.

So a few more times I got killed trying to either heal him or trying to take out the Giant Lord quickly before Benhart got finished off. Finally, I did it with Benhart having a sliver of health left. Then the idiot started to run back towards where the fireballs are! He disappeared and I didn't see the vanquished sign come up but it was also right when a fireball hit. I'm hoping he just faded away like he was supposed to after we won. Man, what a pain.

Is there any chance of him surviving the throne stuff? Does he only have to make it through one of those?

Then I went and tried my hand at the king. Yeah, I got slaughtered. I need to read up on that. The problem with both him and the dragon is that are they are a pain to get back to.

The King really is quite easy to get back to. All you have to do is kill one enemy. The last bonfire is right next to that long hall room already. All you have to do is get there, drop down, kill the hollow under the stairs before he rings the bell, then hug the side wall as you go forward. You can actually run past all of the knights there with relative ease and then just got for Vendrick,

#547 Trakan  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

'Splain please! I noticed on the Wiki that nearly but not quite all of the covenant spells (and by that I mean all the casting stuff) were purchasable from that guy in NG++. Is that just an oversight and you can really buy them all then? I don't want to put in the time for that if not. And what is the easiest way to get Benhart and Lucatiels's stuff. Ascetics on the Rotten and the group of undead worshippers (forget where or what that is but it was easy with Benhart on NG anyway).

Yeah. That was one place where the first thing I did was clear them all out until they stopped spawning.

Spoiler

#548 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

Yeah, I don't want to do the PvP stuff either.

Did you have to do the Pilgrims of the Dark for the hexes it gives you, or can those be bought in NG++ too? I finally started one of those last night and it was such a freaking nightmare that it was nowhere close to fun. The first few times I fell in pits and then when I finally got to the very first phantom I almost killed him but I was too afraid of moving around ('cause of the pits) that I let him get too many shots in on me. From what I hear there are 3 more.

The worst part, though, is that you have to offer up a human effigy each time to get back in. That is what makes it really annoying. I did it like 4 times and then finally said screw this. If I could redo it without penalty that would be one thing.

I'd be done with Benhart right now except that he died seconds before we beat the Looking Glass Knight. So I'll probably just use an ascetic on the Congregations and see if I can get him done now.

#549 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:38 AM

I had a pretty active PvP day.  :) I raised my rank in the Bell covenant to rank 2, but mainly those glorious chunks.  I got Rat to rank 3 by just rushing the spawn since I didn't want to wait. I won my 20 duels at Brotherhood of Blood and used my red orbs to invade 14 people. Hate mail everywhere.  :lol:

One of them had two phantoms with him and it was funny to see how overconfident they were trying to rush me until I took the phantoms out one by one. The host's confidence dwindled to fear and ran because he was alone. Eventually, he ran out of stamina running away and I delivered the killing blow.  :twisted:

Lastly, I got invaded by three arbiters in a row despite not having sin (checked with Cromwell). Apparently, I read that this is a bug. Oh well, more fun for me. :D

#550 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:27 AM

I wish the Bell Covenant guy was on the other side of the fog door, I kept trying to talk to him to hear his dialogue but people kept invading me since he is inside the invasion zone. Killed the first person that tried to invade me, but then someone jumped in pretty much immediately after that and squatted on top on the second level entrance with the 2 pigmies so I hesitated a second, by that point a second person invaded and he finally had the confidence to come down and they double teamed me so I died.

Got a dry enough spell that I was able to make it through, killed the boss(es), and then killed the NPC invading red phantom by the key and finally got a drop! unfortunately it was just winged spear+5 :roll:

#551 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

I did not know you could get double invaded in the Bell place. Wow...

So tonight I finished off the end boss. I brought Benhart in but I did not realize that if you kill the Giant Lord first you have to fight both of the end bosses back-to-back. I don't know if it makes a difference for Benhart but he survived the first one only to get killed by the second. But so did I. When I went back there just to fight the second, Banhart was still there but he went down in the first 20 seconds of that fight while me and a phantom had no problem with it.

So I saw the credits. Then the first thing I did was to go back to Benhart in the memory to see if he would give me anything. No dice... I had beaten the Congregation and the Giant Lord with him though he barely made it on the latter. Then I beat the first part of the end bosses with him. So I went back to where the congregation was and used a bonfire ascetic.

Here's my big question. How much harder is NG++ than NG+? If I remember from previous games the jump to NG+ was always big, but then it wasn't that much harder as you went beyond that. The first thing that happened to me when I came out of the tent was I got slaughtered by two giant horned pig things! Those were new for NG+ I guess since there are just the smaller, relatively harmless pigs around there in NG (and they were still there too). So I thought at first, WTF!? What did I get myself in to? But all in all, they were pretty much the only thing that was different in the level and it was just a shock because they will attack you right in the tent by the bonfire as soon as you stand up. The normal soldiers seemed to be in the same places and other than the rolling rocks resetting even after I set them off again (that surprised me and killed me) the rest was easy. First time in to the Congregation I thought I better put down a Firestorm but as I did so, I got one shot killed by a soul arrow. So once again I'm thinking maybe the boss is much tougher. But then I went in a second time and just went after the 3 spell casters immediately with my sword and me and Benhart (well, mostly me) wiped them out in seconds.

Then I went back to the memory and hurrah - Benhart gave me his stuff.

So my plan was to wait until tomorrow night and just redownload my PS+ save (from just before I beat the game). But now I'm thinking other than blowing a few items (I had used a few spell herbs and things thinking I didn't need to save them any more) the only difference is that I have that one soldiers camp bonfire pumped up one rank. If NG++ isn't going to be that much harder, then I could just leave it and continue.

Or at least back up my save now before I have to burn TWO ascetics on The Rotten for Lucatiel's crap. I know I don't want that carrying over because I hate that place (at least the Black Gulch area leading up to it with all the poison statues and squid things that come out of the puddles).

And who tells you Benhart's sword is a fake? I equipped it and went in to the armorer guy and he didn't say anything about it. It seems just slightly less powerful than a regular Greatsword but it looks damn cool. On the other hand, it didn't look like his armor was anything special. So I could just continue on with Lucatiel and reload my save from before the end boss (and just whip them with 2 human summons instead of trying to nurse Benhart along). But the only problem besides the hour or so of lost progress is that I wouldn't have Benhart's stuff.

FYI - buttloads of human summons were available for the endgame. I'd never seen so many. There were 6 or 7 by the bonfire (though those could be used for earlier bosses too I guess) and then several more in the chamber before the boss. I guess it makes sense that people help out at the end. I couldn't find any for the Congregation - but I wonder if using an Ascetic means you are NG+ for summons? It also just might not be a big place to coop at.

#552 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

Well, I decided just to take care of Lucatiel tonight as well and I didn't bother backing up my save. So tomorrow I'll just reload my pre-endgame save and finish off the boss again and continue on with some other things.

I used Lucatiel on the Rotten twice (two ascetics). I died a couple of times but it wasn't too hard if I just stayed out of his way. One time Lucatiel didn't even go through the mist. So that makes like 2 of the 6 times I summoned her where she just stayed out (happened on Smelter Demon as well).

But much to my surprise, I had some human summons help at the Rotten. I got the same guy twice. Well, 3 times actually since I died immediately the first time I went through. Then he helped me beat him. Then I summoned another guy who got killed and then I got killed. Then I found the first guy again and we beat the Rotten a second time. He probably knew what I was up to, otherwise it would seem pretty odd to get summoned by the same guy to fight the same boss twice (and beat it) within 10 minutes.

Luckily Lucatiel kept her end of the bargain and gave me her crap (for crap it is) and I got that trophy nailed down too.

So now other than the spells/miracles/hexes ones, I am only missing 2 more trophies. I know one is for the flames - I just forgot to talk to Cale. What is the other - is there one for the King?

What I am going to do before I start NG+ is farm the Belfry area offline. Apparently you can rank up in the covenant by beating the red NPC phantom that invades. You need the spell from rank 2 as it is not sold by the Chancellor in NG++. Same goes for the Dark covenant stuff so I will have to figure that out as well. I want to do it now and not in NG+ or beyond since I don't need it to be any harder. I know I'll blow through a lot of effigies doing that though. All the rest of the covenant rewards (except Sun Bros and I already have that) you can apparently buy in NG++.

I also read on another forum that the Estus Flask maxes out at 12 uses and +5. That is good to know. I'm at 11 and +3 having hit up everywhere in the NG that I know of. Those items all reset for NG+ so it shouldn't take long to max it out and I don't need to worry about finding a sublime bone dust that I missed somewhere (if I even did).

Some other interesting things about ascetics - if these are not the same in NG+ please let me know. Hidden paths/lockstones were still open. Torches, unfortunately, were not (damn - The Gutter will suck a second time - though is it even necessary?).

#553 Trakan  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

Yeah, I don't want to do the PvP stuff either.

Did you have to do the Pilgrims of the Dark for the hexes it gives you, or can those be bought in NG++ too? I finally started one of those last night and it was such a freaking nightmare that it was nowhere close to fun. The first few times I fell in pits and then when I finally got to the very first phantom I almost killed him but I was too afraid of moving around ('cause of the pits) that I let him get too many shots in on me. From what I hear there are 3 more.

The worst part, though, is that you have to offer up a human effigy each time to get back in. That is what makes it really annoying. I did it like 4 times and then finally said screw this. If I could redo it without penalty that would be one thing.

I'd be done with Benhart right now except that he died seconds before we beat the Looking Glass Knight. So I'll probably just use an ascetic on the Congregations and see if I can get him done now.

Spoiler

#554 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

Io - I got a petrified egg somewhere in the Iron Keep, I think.  Not sure exactly when, though.

I beat both

Spoiler
and
Spoiler
yesterday.  

For the second one, I kept putting my summon sign down right before the boss, and about 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 times I ended up becoming human afterward even though we didn't kill the boss!  I'm assuming the patch will make it so you become human 100% of the time if you kill the boss and 0% if you don't.  Saved me some effigies last night, at least.

#555 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

I also read on another forum that the Estus Flask maxes out at 12 uses and +5. That is good to know. I'm at 11 and +3 having hit up everywhere in the NG that I know of. Those items all reset for NG+ so it shouldn't take long to max it out and I don't need to worry about finding a sublime bone dust that I missed somewhere (if I even did).

My estus is at 8 uses and +5 and I'm playing without a guide and I only have two of the big lord souls (or whatever they're called this time), so you missed at least 2 sublime bone dusts in NG.

#556 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

And who tells you Benhart's sword is a fake? I equipped it and went in to the armorer guy and he didn't say anything about it. It seems just slightly less powerful than a regular Greatsword but it looks damn cool. On the other hand, it didn't look like his armor was anything special. So I could just continue on with Lucatiel and reload my save from before the end boss (and just whip them with 2 human summons instead of trying to nurse Benhart along). But the only problem besides the hour or so of lost progress is that I wouldn't have Benhart's stuff.

I thought it was the NPC near the start of the Iron Keep, but I could be wrong, it's so hard to keep it all straight with how many NPCs there are.

#557 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

I must be missing a lot of NPC storylines, because I keep seeing "liar" messages and such in front of empty spaces, ha ha.  After I finish my first [mostly] blind playthrough, I'll look at some guides or something to see what I missed for my second time around.

#558 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

I must be missing a lot of NPC storylines, because I keep seeing "liar" messages and such in front of empty spaces, ha ha.  After I finish my first [mostly] blind playthrough, I'll look at some guides or something to see what I missed for my second time around.

You can also initially miss people if you do levels in the "wrong" order. I pushed all the way to the Iron Keep and the shaded woods before i went back and started the Wharf and you meet an NPC there that moves and reappears in Harvest Valley. which if I hadn't looked him up when I found him in the Wharf (and he disappeared when I came back after being killed by the ) I never would have known since no way am I going through the first part of Harvest Valley ever again to stumble on his second location. LOL.

#559 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

Oh that could definitely be part of it.  I'm doing things is some totally crazy order, I think.  New locations are generally popping up in the middle of my bonfire warp screen.  :)

#560 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

Oh that could definitely be part of it.  I'm doing things is some totally crazy order, I think.  New locations are generally popping up in the middle of my bonfire warp screen.   :)

That is how my first playthrough was too haha

#561 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

Ya, I think early game you are supposed to do:

Heide's Tower of Flame <-/->*roadblock #1 The Insurmountable Giant Knights of Death

Grave of Saints <-/->*roadblock #2 The Fall of Doom

Start at Forest of Giants->Kill The Last Giant <-/->*roadblock #3 Pursuit(er) of Doom

Heide's Tower of Flame Redux, the Slightly More Mountable Giant Knights of Mostly Death

Wharf of the Lost Bell Switch

The Lost Bastille of Many Bonfires (Seriously, there are a lot of bonfires)

Mr. Wonkagoyle's Bell Tower of Nightmares

edit:

Oh nice, I didn't realize you got titanite chunks for success in the Bell Keeper's Covenant. If I had known that I would of entered there much sooner when I was a lower level so I could finish off my claymore/catalyst. Will have to try and do that later tonight.

#562 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

I just learned that when invading as an Arbiter, your invading range is unlimited compared to the area restricted range of dark spirits. I invaded six people at five different locations than the area I was at. Should be like that when defending someone or invading (red) too.  :-(

#563 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

I spent about an hour fighting the red phantom that sometimes spawns in Belfry Sol to rank up once in the Bell Covenant, so that definitely works. Now I guess I need to go from 10 to 30 kills to hit rank 2 and get the spell I need.

He was there every other time the first 6 or 8 tries, then he disappeared and wasn't there for 5 or 6 in a row. I quit and reloaded and he was there 3 times in a row then not at all. The last couple of times took a while to get (quitting and reloading didn't always seem to work), but finally I did it. So I'll just have to grind that out to 30 later. Of course I did this while offline.

I also got the pyro spell (Chaos Storm) off the lava in Iron Keep. I know someone said to roll around in the water urns beforehand but I didn't realize what a huge difference that made (nor did I remember there were some up the ladder from that area). I was trying all kinds of stuff with equipment, flash sweat, red burrs, various rings, etc. And really none of it made much of a difference. If you roll through those water urns, you take no damage at all and have time to get there, open the chest, and get back no problem. I could almost get to the chest without them, but it was a pain. Finally I looked it up online and found that there are urns up the ladder (that appears when you pull the lever in that area). It is super easy with those.

Now, there's no way I'm going to bother with the treasure out past the multiple lava rock jumps near the first bonfire. Apparently that is only a bonfire ascetic anyway. But I got all the other ones (Chaos Storm, fireseed, and Phoenix Parma notably). For the latter, there is a Pharros lockstone up by the archer that fills a basin with water - you roll around in that and then can get to that chest easily (which is the one below the Smelter Demon boss door). What's a little annoying is that a summon who was otherwise very helpful back when I did the Smelter Demon (he showed me how to get to the Dull Ember), stood in front of that lockstone and did the "no way" gesture. So I assumed he meant it was a trap (I figured it filled with lava or something). I guess it really isn't necessary and maybe he was telling me not to waste one (just to get the Phoenix Parma) but I have finished the game and have 7 lockstones - and I don't see anywhere else to use them as I'm not doing the Rat stuff.

I'll be taking a little break from the game but when I get back into it I need to take care of the King (and maybe the Ancient Dragon) and the Dark Covenant stuff. I'm not looking forward to either. But if I complete those, then I'll grind out the rest of the Bell covenant kills, then do NG+ and go for the platinum.

#564 Dwarfman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   351 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

Been semi lurking on the thread and finally decided to log in and add to the discussion after I spent about an hour last night cursing the Shrine of Armana (spelling?).  I always knew in the back of my mind that focusing on sword and board was going to come back and bite me in the ass.

It wouldn't be so bad if the range on those mages wasn't so god awful.  The aggro range is crazy too.  Pretty much any encounter in that area aggros the next guy down the line and unless you are stacked with magic resist you are pretty much toast. 

I do enjoy PVP in Dark Souls 2 though.  Maybe its just me but it seems like a vast majority of people I fight run pretty light on armor and go more magic/caster focused vs melee.  Since I stack so much armor, stamina, vigor, etc.  I can literally stand there and wait my turn to throw a barrage of attacks.  I didn't really play a caster in either Demon Souls or Dark Souls 1 either but the casting times and item use times seem much less forgiving vs the previous games.  I feel like using the healing items in this game leaves you WIDE open and often times you have less openings vs enemies to use them.  Also as strictly melee I feel like a lot of the bosses and some more "major" enemies also have less openings for a longer string of attacks.

All and all I'm glad I'm not flying through the game too fast like I did with Infamous SS.  Hopefully this will keep me occupied til the next major release comes out.

#565 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

Been semi lurking on the thread and finally decided to log in and add to the discussion after I spent about an hour last night cursing the Shrine of Armana (spelling?).  I always knew in the back of my mind that focusing on sword and board was going to come back and bite me in the ass.

It wouldn't be so bad if the range on those mages wasn't so god awful.  The aggro range is crazy too.  Pretty much any encounter in that area aggros the next guy down the line and unless you are stacked with magic resist you are pretty much toast. 

I do enjoy PVP in Dark Souls 2 though.  Maybe its just me but it seems like a vast majority of people I fight run pretty light on armor and go more magic/caster focused vs melee.  Since I stack so much armor, stamina, vigor, etc.  I can literally stand there and wait my turn to throw a barrage of attacks.  I didn't really play a caster in either Demon Souls or Dark Souls 1 either but the casting times and item use times seem much less forgiving vs the previous games.  I feel like using the healing items in this game leaves you WIDE open and often times you have less openings vs enemies to use them.  Also as strictly melee I feel like a lot of the bosses and some more "major" enemies also have less openings for a longer string of attacks.

All and all I'm glad I'm not flying through the game too fast like I did with Infamous SS.  Hopefully this will keep me occupied til the next major release comes out.

Welcome to the discussion! haha

So I started playing EDF 2025 with my buddy the other night and so when I got home last night at 11pm after work and school, instead of playing Dark Souls before bed a bit... I played EDF to get some new weapons! : O Sacrilege! Hahah I feel like I am cheating on Drangleic  

#566 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

I would definitely recommend doing the Bell covenant earlier, at high 90s level and soul memory approaching a million it takes 3-6 minutes before I am summoned into the bell tower, apparently it is near instantaneous at lower levels. Also a 1/3rd of the time by the time I am summoned the host either has died by the grey phantom that jumped in ahead of me or to the enemies (and you don't get credit). I did manage to do enough to max out my claymore and my Priest's chime with chunks.

One guy had a huge club and did some kind of stun combo that got me down to a very thin sliver of health. Since my stamina was full I managed to counterattack and get him down to a sliver of health, he rolled back to get away, fell 4 feet and died from fall damage.

#567 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

Now, there's no way I'm going to bother with the treasure out past the multiple lava rock jumps near the first bonfire. Apparently that is only a bonfire ascetic anyway. 

That's actually the only one I've gotten so far.  It's pretty easy with just some decent flame protection and flash sweat, because every other rock is not on fire and you can heal.

#568 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

http://www.gamespot....s/1100-6418680/

What the f**k

I hope this is an April Fool's joke.

*EDIT*

Clearly it is indeed a joke seeing as the linked patch page is all in Japanese I guess they assumed no one would translate it but it is still the same update info as before with no inclusion of such a preposterous item such as the one proposed by Gamespot

#569 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

I don't know, it did say there was server downtime planned for this morning on the information message last night. Perhaps it is just gamespot piggybacking a joke on that coincidence.

So far the best shield I have found that can be used for under 20 STR is the one sold by McDuff in Lost Bastille, but that only requires like 12 STR MIN. In looking up shields It appears that there are no better shields closer to 20 STR, great shields seem to jump immediately to low 30's. There is something to be said for options, but there is just so much chaff that is difficult to sift through to find a shield which is an upgrade.

#570 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Yeah I can't ever decide on a favorite.  To be honest, I mostly just use the good old large leather shield which I found really early in the game.  I switch it out for the Drangleic Shield when I feel like I need 100% block and more stability.  Haven't run into a situation yet where I need better magic block, but I think I have some other shields that will take care of that.

I just now found the ember for McDuff, and I was a little disappointed that infusing shields with stones doesn't up the percent block for that element more dramatically.