* * * * * 2 votes

Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin - April 7, 2015

#571 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

I don't even use shields hah I just two hand everything. On my first build I keep the shield with the big rose on it, cannot remember the name, that boosts stamina recovery.

I have 2/3 that boost stamina but never found the third one. I have the Shield of the Insulent and then the one with the big rose haha

#572 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

Royal Kite shield is a nice jack of all trades (what you can buy from McDuff), starts with 100 physical blocking, 45 magic and 65 flame and 50 stability. By the time you reach +9 it's mid 50's magic, mid 70's flame and 57 stability which is better than Dranglic shield+0 shield (and 2 tons lighter) as I don't imagine there are many people burning twinkling titanite on the shield.

edit:

That just gave me an idea for a April Fools invasion build. Jester uniform and 2 Royal Kite Shields in power stance.

#573 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

Interesting.  I haven't upgraded a shield in this game (I did in Dark Souls) because the first level gives something like 0.2 improvement, and I wasn't sure how much better it was going to get.

#574 Dwarfman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   351 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

I used the Old Knight shield (and wear pretty much all Old Knight armor) right now.  I've upgraded everything pretty much to +10 and I think I'll end up replacing it all with Havel's set once I get that.

I love the 100% physical block (something like 70% ish magic).

I will still often 2 hand my weapon to throw in some major damage but always have it at the ready for when things get hairy.  I just hate being squishy and as I've always said... your DPS is 0 when you're dead. 

#575 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

Interesting.  I haven't upgraded a shield in this game (I did in Dark Souls) because the first level gives something like 0.2 improvement, and I wasn't sure how much better it was going to get.

Ya, starts off small and then ramps up as you use more rare ore. It's like +1 stability per 3 upgrades at the start, then +1 per 2, then by the time you get to chunks stability ups +1 per upgrade.

#576 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

I used the Old Knight shield (and wear pretty much all Old Knight armor) right now.  I've upgraded everything pretty much to +10 and I think I'll end up replacing it all with Havel's set once I get that.

I love the 100% physical block (something like 70% ish magic).

I will still often 2 hand my weapon to throw in some major damage but always have it at the ready for when things get hairy.  I just hate being squishy and as I've always said... your DPS is 0 when you're dead. 

You must be so heavy!!!!

I havent played this game yet with either of my builds at over 50% equip burden

#577 Dwarfman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   351 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

You must be so heavy!!!!

I havent played this game yet with either of my builds at over 50% equip burden

I wanna say that I'm at close to 40 Adp?  I know with my armor, my persuers great sword, longsword, shield, and crossbow I'm at 80%?  I'm trying to get that down to 70% so I can run and roll with the rest of you squishy casters.  I have enough endurance too that I'm pretty much a tank in every boss encounter.  If I can't beat a boss alone I often get a few casters in and take all the aggro and its always an easy battle.

I do wish that most of the bosses had more/longer openings though.  Even though I can take the hits and tank, a lot of the times you get 1 swing in before they start coming at you again.  I'm used to Demon Souls which I soloed the entire game without help but felt that the bosses had more potential openings for attacks. 

#578 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

I wanna say that I'm at close to 40 Adp?  I know with my armor, my persuers great sword, longsword, shield, and crossbow I'm at 80%?  I'm trying to get that down to 70% so I can run and roll with the rest of you squishy casters.  I have enough endurance too that I'm pretty much a tank in every boss encounter.  If I can't beat a boss alone I often get a few casters in and take all the aggro and its always an easy battle.

I do wish that most of the bosses had more/longer openings though.  Even though I can take the hits and tank, a lot of the times you get 1 swing in before they start coming at you again.  I'm used to Demon Souls which I soloed the entire game without help but felt that the bosses had more potential openings for attacks. 

Dayumm that is a tank indeed hahah

I can see what you mean. I don't recall summoning anyone to help in a boss for me other than maybe once in Demon Souls but with this there are a few that I just could not shake by myself. Maybe it is because I played the original back in college where I had far more time and am now just more antsy but I can see what you are saying there, definitely. 

#579 Dwarfman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   351 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

Dayumm that is a tank indeed hahah

I can see what you mean. I don't recall summoning anyone to help in a boss for me other than maybe once in Demon Souls but with this there are a few that I just could not shake by myself. Maybe it is because I played the original back in college where I had far more time and am now just more antsy but I can see what you are saying there, definitely. 

No I think bosses are much MUCH more aggressive in this game vs Demon Souls.  The Flame Lurker boss in demon soul's, the one right before the Ancient dragon was constantly rushing you and or attacking.  That was the only real boss fight I needed help on as if you were trying to heal even halfway across the area he would close the distance and attack you again.  Bosses like the Tower Knight or even the Flying Manta ray zone boss had very natural lags between attacks.  Granted their attacks were pretty devistating if you got hit but you had much more time to move, heal, and attack between.

Now everything keeps you on your toes.  I wouldn't say these bosses are harder, they just are a lot different in their tactics.

My goal is to wear Havel's set and not have any mobility issues.  If I can 1 hand my greatsword too then it would be awesome but that is still a ways off.  A slow moving Havel with a greatsword would be scary enough... but one running up to you and showing no mercy.... terrifying!

#580 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:56 PM

I usually try to stay somewhere in the low to mid-50s, but it depends on the area.  I swap out my main armor pretty frequently, and have 1 or 2 helms and gloves that I'll swap out.  I have been wearing the Bone King Skirt ever since I bought it and I love that thing.  Have it at +2 so far and I never take it off (it's so light, gives good elemental protection and decent physical protection for the weight).

I like that they don't have hard break points for rolling/stamina regen/etc, but it does tempt me to be heavier than I'm used to.

Dwarfman - I think one of the biggest differences between Demon's and the Dark Souls games is that Demon's had easier bosses but harder (and cooler) levels, whereas the Dark Souls games have easier levels but harder bosses (in general).

#581 Dwarfman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   351 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

Backlash - I suppose it depends a lot on your play style in either game.  I honestly felt like Demon Souls was rather easy compared to Dark Souls.  Maybe it's just me but I always took the levels a little slower pace in Demon Souls (in fear of dying and starting over from the beginning/losing all my souls/etc).  For the most part Demon Souls WAS easy in terms of enemies but hard in the fact that one slip up and you were at the beginning of the level again.

In Dark Souls 2 I think they get away with more since a lot of the times you aren't very far from a bonfire.  Dying doesn't feel as bad as it did in Demon Souls to me.  With the despawning enemies you can farm a difficult patch (and still be close to a bonfire in case you die), clear it, and move on.  Dark souls also seems like it takes a little more luxury to add multiple enemies at once.  There are many instances where you fight multiple bosses (ruin sentienals, dragon riders) and not to mention a lot of basic enemies travel in packs.

Either way it all comes down to play style and overall feel.  Some people are complaining online that these changes are getting away from the "souls feel" but frankly I think its just another side to the same coin. 

#582 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

I mainly just keep the Stamina regen ring equipped and go for as close to 70% as possible.

Have you tried tanking with Iron Flesh pyromancy Dwarfman? I would imagine that would make you fairly impervious to damage / give you the opportunity to heal without getting stunned. If you wanted to try it out without spending any points you could equip that ring that gives you atunement slots, I think it is southern Ritual Band.

#583 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:13 AM

I don't even use shields hah I just two hand everything. On my first build I keep the shield with the big rose on it, cannot remember the name, that boosts stamina recovery.

I have 2/3 that boost stamina but never found the third one. I have the Shield of the Insulent and then the one with the big rose haha

Third is the Slumbering Dragon Shield. You get from one of the enemies at the Shrine of Amana. I forgot which though. 

I also like the magic infused Magic shield. Makes all the MLGS users cry.   :lol:

#584 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   7069 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:10 AM

DS2 did pretty good with their April Fools joke. 

yjAujCY.jpg

Apparently it fails out everytime you try to summon him.

#585 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

That was confirmed as fan-made. Horrible photoshop is a dead give away. lol

#586 Kia-Tiaph   Laser Orchestra Empress CAGiversary!   918 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Quick question regarding the Pate and Creighton quest.

Spoiler

#587 Dwarfman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   351 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

I mainly just keep the Stamina regen ring equipped and go for as close to 70% as possible.

Have you tried tanking with Iron Flesh pyromancy Dwarfman? I would imagine that would make you fairly impervious to damage / give you the opportunity to heal without getting stunned. If you wanted to try it out without spending any points you could equip that ring that gives you atunement slots, I think it is southern Ritual Band.

This is going to sound really stupid but I don't even read or look at spells when I pick them up or find them available for sale.... I really should find a few spells that assist me in my melee build but I hate putting points into Int/Faith and finding a separate catalyst for casting.  Do they still do it like Demon Souls where you need one for magic and one for faith spells?

Honestly I don't think I did ANY magic in Dark Souls either :P 

#588 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

This is going to sound really stupid but I don't even read or look at spells when I pick them up or find them available for sale.... I really should find a few spells that assist me in my melee build but I hate putting points into Int/Faith and finding a separate catalyst for casting.  Do they still do it like Demon Souls where you need one for magic and one for faith spells?

Honestly I don't think I did ANY magic in Dark Souls either :P 

Essentially yes you have to have separate items. There is however the Black Witch's Staff that can cast Sorceries, Miracles and Hexes, just not Pyromancy. Also, the Blue Flame sword's strong attack can cast sorceries. There is a mace too that I got that is alluding me that can cast sorceries too I believe.

#589 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

Well Pyromancy in Dark Souls 1 only leveled by how much you upgraded your flame hand, that's why it was awesome. In DS2, now damage is attached to how leveled your hand is AND your fire damage stat (which is affected by points in INT or FAITH). There is also a dark version of the hand which does more damage when you are fully hollowed and less damage when you are human. Though utility pyromancies it doesn't matter since they are not doing fire damage and all pyro has zero stat requirements.

So get a hand (one is in the gutter, one is right after the Wharf Boss fight) and you can buy Iron Flesh from

Also, praise the sun, apparently there is a way to manually aim spells. I thought it had been taken out when I tried to manually aim with a bow and then cast lightning at the fire salamander blocking the tunnel.

#590 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

Also, praise the sun, apparently there is a way to manually aim spells. I thought it had been taken out when I tried to manually aim with a bow and then cast lightning at the fire salamander blocking the tunnel.

Hah yeah I have been using the binoculars the whole time with my Magic build. It makes magic that much more useful, especially when you can just pick someone off when you are far enough to not actually aggro them haha

#591 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

Quick question regarding the Pate and Creighton quest.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#592 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

Essentially yes you have to have separate items. There is however the Black Witch's Staff that can cast Sorceries, Miracles and Hexes, just not Pyromancy. Also, the Blue Flame sword's strong attack can cast sorceries. There is a mace too that I got that is alluding me that can cast sorceries too I believe.

Mace of the Insolent allows you to cast hexes. Although, I have to say the Mace of the Insolent is a terrible weapon/catalyst: terrible power, scaling, and casting time.

#593 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

I wish you could power stance with spells too, IE. if you equip two of the same type of casting weapon and have 1.5 of the stat requirements of the selected spell, you could fire dual barrages by entering power stance and pressing R2. Though I suppose that would be a little OP / make the upgraded versions of the basic spell somewhat obsolete. IE. hurtling 2 lightning spears would be superior to hurtling one great light spear and have a lower faith requirement.

#594 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

I wish you could power stance with spells too, IE. if you equip two of the same type of casting weapon and have 1.5 of the stat requirements of the selected spell, you could fire dual barrages by entering power stance and pressing R2. Though I suppose that would be a little OP / make the upgraded versions of the basic spell somewhat obsolete. IE. hurtling 2 lightning spears would be superior to hurtling one great light spear and have a lower faith requirement.

I had not even thought of that but now magic is complete shit in comparison to the amazingness that would be that.

Like seriously, that would be AWESOME. Maybe it couldn't be a normal power stance but rather requires a special ring or something to allow it. The ring could take up two slots and be extremely difficult to get to balance out the amazing power it would wield essentially. 

#595 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

Is there a way to compare magic power for staffs or catalysts?  Dark Souls had that magic boost stat (I think?).  But I don't see anything like that in this game - just the regular various attack powers and defenses, which wouldn't seem to apply.

#596 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

Is there a way to compare magic power for staffs or catalysts?  Dark Souls had that magic boost stat (I think?).  But I don't see anything like that in this game - just the regular various attack powers and defenses, which wouldn't seem to apply.

For casting it just reuses the same elemental type bonuses that apply to contact weapons. With Pyro it is based on the fire attack stat (which ups with Faith and Int). With Miracles it is based on the lightning attack stat (faith), with Hexes it is based on the Dark attack stat (Faith OR Intelligence, lower of the two) and catalysts are based on the magic attack stat (intelligence). As far as I can tell, there is no way to check the magic attack from the inventory screen, you can only do it through the equip screen by mousing over them each one at a time. You can also boost a casting item by infusing it with the corresponding elemental stone.

So to compare (using this below screenshot as a reference), on the bottom left is where they tell you the stat scaling. The 3rd green icon from the left (a diagonal line going down from left to right) is the magic attribute bonus, that tells you the letter scaling bonus. Then on the right side of the screen the blue attack icon closest to the center is magic damage. It tells you the base damage of the weapon on the left (I think) and the damage after scaling next to it on the right

#597 Dwarfman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   351 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

A little off topic but I can't help but think....

I've been spending more time playing my PS3 than my PS4 (mostly because of Dark Souls 2)

How awesome is Dark Souls 3 going to look on the PS4/XBO?

On another note.  Does anyone know if the Undead Crypt zombies/undead are tied to a specific spawn point?  Meaning.. if you hit the bell over and over and over would they spawn forever or like all the other enemies would eventually stop spawning?  I'm in that zone right now and I wanted to know for future reference if I need a good farming spot.

#598 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for the detailed explanation guardian_owl.  I would not have guessed that miracles/chimes scaled with lightning damage (though staff with magic seems more obvious).  Especially since the scaling letters don't line up for Faith (I mean the req icons in yellow line up with the scaling icons in green for STR, DEX, and INT, and then they have Fire underneath Faith instead of having lightning underneath Faith, which would have made more sense if they go together).

#599 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

Unlike in previous games, utility miracles do not improve with more points in faith. So a heal will heal a certain amount of HP whether you just meet the casting requirements or have double the casting requirements. I am not sure whether it is only lightning based miracles (light spear variants, holy Thunder, blinding bolt), which scale in damage with a more potent lightning attack stat or if that also includes emit force (shockwave ball) and Wrath of the Gods (The Hulk Clap). Should be easy enough to test by swapping between my +10 boltstone'd Priest Chime and the extra Priest Chime+0 that I have and casting emit force. I imagine they fall under it since the attacks are vaguely like thunder.

They probably have it that way both since the spacing looks nicer to have it even instead of indented an extra space and because faith ups all three of those things (Fire, Light, and Dark) that are below it.

#600 Jimmienoman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3547 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Jimmienoman

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:27 PM

So I'm going to start a new game with a new PVP build (previously was STR more towards PvE). Yeh after level 80ish STR seemed to be horrible as DEX weapons scale well enough along with enchants etc that STR builds seem obsolete.

So is DEX the way I should go for PVP or are there other builds you're using?