* * * * * 2 votes

Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin - April 7, 2015

#241 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11158 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

Spent a lot of time cooping Dragonrider and Dragon Slayer to level up a little so I ended up trying to take them on solo rather than use an effigy to get summons. Dragonrider wasn't too bad, beat him legit melee. I cheesed a little on Dragon Slayer though, blocking and dodging until he missed an attack with a long recovery time and then I plinked him with a lightning spear miracle rather than get in too close. Was able to take him out with 9 bolts.

Speaking of that gaggle of soldiers in Bastille, I got overrun by them too, that's what caused me to give up progressing along that path and try the tower of flame. Joined Blue Sentinels and got a new miracle from them that I can't wait to test out on them. :twisted:.

#242 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

Spent a lot of time cooping Dragonrider and Dragon Slayer to level up a little so I ended up trying to take them on solo rather than use an effigy to get summons. Dragonrider wasn't too bad, beat him legit melee. I cheesed a little on Dragon Slayer though, blocking and dodging until he missed an attack with a long recovery time and then I plinked him with a lightning spear miracle rather than get in too close. Was able to take him out with 9 bolts.

Speaking of that gaggle of soldiers in Bastille, I got overrun by them too, that's what caused me to give up progressing along that path and try the tower of flame. Joined Blue Sentinels and got a new miracle I can't wait to test out on them. :twisted:.

Some of the Bastille groups are a pain at high levels still. I have pretty much all the highest armor on upgraded with Twinkling Titanite and am at SL 120 and when I go back there they still annoy the piss out of me haha

#243 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

I thought the soul level + memory would work both ways though. It seems you are saying you can only summon someone if they are same soul level + memory, but they can summon you if you just match level. Is that right? That explains why I am seeing more golden summons than regulars - I'm probably getting a lot of Sun covenant people who are higher level than me (but probably same soul memory) going "back" to older areas to help out for medals. But I'm not getting many people who are actually still in those areas for the first time any more. I have been spending a lot of souls on spells/miracles/hexes and rings and stuff and not leveling up that much. So I guess that is where the level vs. memory problem comes in.

Exactly. It does not matter if you use your souls to buy items, spells, or whatever. Every soul you gain is treated as a "gross" even if you don't level up. Thus, you being kicked out of your SL level range and into the soul memory range of higher level players because they have the same amount of total souls accumulated as you. 

#244 io   ... Super Moderators   24729 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

Some of the Bastille groups are a pain at high levels still. I have pretty much all the highest armor on upgraded with Twinkling Titanite and am at SL 120 and when I go back there they still annoy the piss out of me haha

Just curious, what is that "highest" armor? I have been slowly putting pieces of the Drangleic set on as I can equip more weight. I even used one of my 3 twinkling titanites on the main armor piece. I'd like to upgrade it again, but I'm hesitant to use those knowing they are limited and I might find better armor/weapons that need them later.

I have the Heide (I think) helmet, the Drangleic armor, gauntlets, and leggings, and I'm still rocking the Black Armor Edition bound wooden shield (leveled up to +3 I think) as that remains the best shield I've found (or at least best for the light weight it has). I don't see too many other people using that shield though but I just can't find anything that beats it.

But in terms of rationing twinkling titanite, how much of it can you get? And as I asked before, do I want to be saving it for some awesome armor I have yet to discover?

I'm also still using the Fire Sword (up to +3 now) I found by the snake/salamander. I need to beat the knight in the forest as I think Jodou said he has a sword. I just haven't gone back there yet. And speaking of that snake/salamander, how do you beat him? I've not seen anyone talk about him. And is that one and the same? It looks like a snake when you go down the ramparts and into the cave where the fire sword is hidden. That's where he rears up and spits fireballs at you. But then within the castle (by the elevator that takes you to the Last Giant boss) you can look down and see a fire salamander and its head looks like it could be the thing you see in the cave tunnel. I wasn't sure if they were the same one, or the same type at least.

I can actually manage the Bastille group (if we are talking about that first set of 6 or 7 before the first fog door) pretty easily. If you bait them out in groups of 2 or 3 it isn't too bad. Then you can go downstairs, then up the ladder and backstab 2 of the others. I figure I'll just keep killing those guys until they stop respawning so I can get back to the boss fight more easily when I want to complete it for real (ie, getting the mobs out of the way so I don't screw up getting back to my bloodstain within the boss chamber).

#245 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

Just curious, what is that "highest" armor? I have been slowly putting pieces of the Drangleic set on as I can equip more weight. I even used one of my 3 twinkling titanites on the main armor piece. I'd like to upgrade it again, but I'm hesitant to use those knowing they are limited and I might find better armor/weapons that need them later.

I have the Heide (I think) helmet, the Drangleic armor, gauntlets, and leggings, and I'm still rocking the Black Armor Edition bound wooden shield (leveled up to +3 I think) as that remains the best shield I've found (or at least best for the light weight it has). I don't see too many other people using that shield though but I just can't find anything that beats it.

But in terms of rationing twinkling titanite, how much of it can you get? And as I asked before, do I want to be saving it for some awesome armor I have yet to discover?

I can actually manage the Bastille group (if we are talking about that first set of 6 or 7 before the first fog door) pretty easily. If you bait them out in groups of 2 or 3 it isn't too bad. Then you can go downstairs, then up the ladder and backstab 2 of the others. I figure I'll just keep killing those guys until they stop respawning so I can get back to the boss fight more easily when I want to complete it for real (ie, getting the mobs out of the way so I don't screw up getting back to my bloodstain within the boss chamber).

I started putting into that armor too but then I got Vengarl's set and it is just a tad bit heavier but far more powerful than the Drangleic.

Spoiler

Then in terms of basic resistance, the Smelter Demon's Armor is even better but again heavier. The Smelter Demon is a completely optional boss over in the Iron Keep. He was a pain in the butt. 

Spoiler

Even after all of those though I am sure there are better armors that I have yet to find. But even so far I have better stuff than Drangleic.

And in terms of Twinkling Titanite, I have not found a whole bunch. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on how to get more though I doubt it will be in large abundance.

#246 io   ... Super Moderators   24729 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

Ah, I saw that fog area and backed away slowly... ;) There was a note on the ground about a ghost and not being able to lock on. I'll try it out tonight. I have lots of little side areas still to backtrack and explore. There were a lot of places in the Huntsman Corpse that I didn't explore as well once I found the locked bonfire and the path to the boss from there.

Which merchant are you talking about in Majula? Not the lame one in the building by the pit is it? I have never bought anything from him because he doesn't have anything good. There's the blacksmith that sells a few things. I have bought a lot from him (since he has arrows and titanite shards) but his stock has never changed. There's also the old woman who moved from Forest of Giants - I think she sells some armor too.

I'm hesitant to spend souls on stuff I don't need because of the soul level/memory thing. But if it is the one in the house by the pit I'll buy some junk from him if need be. How much stuff did you have to buy?

But thanks for the info - I will definitely hold off on using any more twinkling titanite on the Drangleic stuff.

#247 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11158 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

And in terms of Twinkling Titanite, I have not found a whole bunch. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on how to get more though I doubt it will be in large abundance.

Get small soapstone, be summoned, protect the host until time runs out / beat a boss to fulfill your duty, get a smooth and silky stone, trade stone with the crow for the chance to get twinkling from the prize table.

I'm hesitant to spend souls on stuff I don't need because of the soul level/memory thing. But if it is the one in the house by the pit I'll buy some junk from him if need be. How much stuff did you have to buy?

wiki says

Spoiler
, then 'ol Gil will give you the armor.

#248 io   ... Super Moderators   24729 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

Get small soapstone, be summoned, protect the host until time runs out / beat a boss to fulfill your duty, get a smooth and silky stone, trade stone with the crow for the chance to get twinkling from the prize table.

wiki says

Spoiler
, then 'ol Gil will give you the armor.

Ah, I have about 10 of those smooth and silky stones. I'll go cash those in next time I play. I was wondering what that small soapstone did. I had always used the larger one. I noticed that the smalls summon "Shades" though - I used one myself on a boss once.

Also, thanks for the merchant tip. I would have never come across that on my own - especially the
Spoiler

#249 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11158 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

Ya, large soapstone is a stable (unlimited) connection, small soap stone is an unstable (limited time) connection. I think you get small stones if you protect them until time runs out and you get normal stones if you beat a boss. I wasn't paying attention, after playing for awhile I had about half and half when I went to cash them in at the crow.

#250 Doomtime   Victor von Doom CAGiversary!   5780 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

I've been using the Ring of Life Protection for infinite humanity. It breaks upon death, but unlike the last game you can repair it for just 3000 souls. All your souls are still with you as well.

I imagine it will be patched, but I've managed to save up on human effigies thanks to this method. 

http://darksouls2.wi...Life Protection

#251 io   ... Super Moderators   24729 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

I've been using the Ring of Life Protection for infinite humanity. It breaks upon death, but unlike the last game you can repair it for just 3000 souls. All your souls are still with you as well.

I imagine it will be patched, but I've managed to save up on human effigies thanks to this method. 

Interesting - I've never used that ring in any of the games because I assumed it broke permanently (which I guess it did before). I probably won't use it much now either because I can usually get back to my bloodstain and regain the souls. And Human Effigy's don't seem too hard to find. I've used several and still have like 18 more. For one thing, I'm getting them as drops from the dog creatures in the Bastille. Now with the limited respawns I guess you can't farm anything indefinitely, but I think I probably have enough and will probably find more (plus you can buy 10 or so from the old woman merchant).

However, I might use this ring if I get to an area I'm not familiar with and have more than 3000 souls on hand. Or like you suggest if I just need to stay human for a while. I might want to use it retrying the Bastille boss trio since I've already blown through 2 effigy's doing that.

As for regaining humanity when helping as a summon - I know someone said that was a glitch. But I've had it happen 2 out of maybe 8 times so far when I wasn't already human.

#252 Kameleon   Gaming Mark CAGiversary!   464 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Kameleon

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:14 AM

OH MY GOD!!!  :shock:  :whee:

I was hoping there was a merchant that sold these (like the guy in the bell tower in the first Dark Souls). But now that I found out about this, I am so excited.

#253 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:40 AM

I recently traded like 20 stones and got nothing good really. I got some weird chime/trident that its 2 handed power attack is this crazy dance that boosts everyones attack strength haha

#254 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   7019 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:41 AM

I missed him too : /

Surprisingly he was still there and I was able to complete the questline.  The only thing I seemed to miss was getting his full equipment set. Not a huge deal as it wasn't as good as the set im currently using.  Only thing I got irked by is that "100% Critical attack" equipment piece just says it gives you the "chance of 100% critical attack" which is a hugely different thing.

For some reason my gametime & trophies havent been updating online.  It gives me a syncing message everytime I pull up my trophies, but nothing seems to change on any website I look at (raptr also stopped tracking my gameplay).

#255 Feeding the Abscess   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3251 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Feeding the Abscess

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:26 AM

Not to sound like Wombat when he complained about Ducktales and their non-moving bills/mouths on a CAGcast, but god damn it was fucking annoying when that old hag in the intro cutscene had her mouth randomly flapping around while she was speaking. I mean seriously, this is 2014 and you're working with CG... and that's the result? Jesus Christ on high.

Not to mention that the 'story' from the intro was... non-existent, at best. Demon's and Dark 1 hit you in the face pretty hard from the get go, setting up what happened to the world and why you're where you are. This... was just 'ur gon die. and go insane.' *cackle* *repeat a few times for extra melodrama huehuehue*. It's as if they hired a 12 year old fanfic writer for this shit.

The mo-cap and the character model just don't blend well with the surrounding environment, either. It's almost like I'm watching pre-rendered backgrounds with 90s CGI dancing around on top of it. It seriously hurts my brain.

Someone please tell me it gets better. I put probably 500 hours into Demon's and DkS1, but I'm not going to play the same game without any interest whatsoever in the game world, plus a few annoyances with the visuals. Is anything from the first game addressed, or is it as if nothing ever happened?

#256 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:28 AM

Not to sound like Wombat when he complained about Ducktales and their non-moving bills/mouths on a CAGcast, but god damn it was fucking annoying when that old hag in the intro cutscene had her mouth randomly flapping around while she was speaking. I mean seriously, this is 2014 and you're working with CG... and that's the result? Jesus Christ on high.

Not to mention that the 'story' from the intro was... non-existent, at best. Demon's and Dark 1 hit you in the face pretty hard from the get go, setting up what happened to the world and why you're where you are. This... was just 'ur gon die. and go insane.' *cackle* *repeat a few times for extra melodrama huehuehue*. It's as if they hired a 12 year old fanfic writer for this shit.

The mo-cap and the character model just don't blend well with the surrounding environment, either. It's almost like I'm watching pre-rendered backgrounds with 90s CGI dancing around on top of it. It seriously hurts my brain.

Someone please tell me it gets better. I put probably 500 hours into Demon's and DkS1, but I'm not going to play the same game without any interest whatsoever in the game world, plus a few annoyances with the visuals. Is anything from the first game addressed, or is it as if nothing ever happened?

Not sure if serious....

#257 Doomtime   Victor von Doom CAGiversary!   5780 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:40 AM

Interesting - I've never used that ring in any of the games because I assumed it broke permanently (which I guess it did before). I probably won't use it much now either because I can usually get back to my bloodstain and regain the souls. And Human Effigy's don't seem too hard to find. I've used several and still have like 18 more. For one thing, I'm getting them as drops from the dog creatures in the Bastille. Now with the limited respawns I guess you can't farm anything indefinitely, but I think I probably have enough and will probably find more (plus you can buy 10 or so from the old woman merchant).

However, I might use this ring if I get to an area I'm not familiar with and have more than 3000 souls on hand. Or like you suggest if I just need to stay human for a while. I might want to use it retrying the Bastille boss trio since I've already blown through 2 effigy's doing that.

As for regaining humanity when helping as a summon - I know someone said that was a glitch. But I've had it happen 2 out of maybe 8 times so far when I wasn't already human.

True, they're not too uncommon. I believe I ended up with around 40 effigies during my first playthrough.

I'm just stocking up on them in case From Soft decides to make them harder to find. And yeah on more than one occasion I'd use an effigy so I could summon someone only to be invaded seconds later and destroyed.  [-(

As for the limited respawns, there's actually a way around that. There's an item called the Bonfire Ascetic which will let you respawn enemies in a certain area. You just burn it at a bonfire in one of the areas that has been cleared out, though the catch is the monsters will respawn at a higher difficulty. The effects can never be reversed so if you're on your first playthrough and you want to use the Ascetic in the Forest of the Fallen Giants for instance, that area will always be one notch tougher on the difficulty scale. When you move on to NG+, the forest will increase to NG++. 

Makes it even tougher, but it is beneficial as bosses drop rare items in areas where the Ascetic has been used. You can also farm the items from regular enemies once again. 

I only ended up with 9 of them in my first playthrough so choose wisely. 

http://darksouls2.wi...Bonfire Ascetic

http://www.gamefaqs....uls-ii/68783205

List of boss drops after use of Bonfire Ascetic (first playthrough)

Spoiler

#258 io   ... Super Moderators   24729 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:06 AM

Yeah, I'm going to hold off on the ascetics for now - at least until NG+ probably.

So, I was looking at the covenant rewards on the wiki, and some have ridiculous requirements - and the "prizes" from leveling up are needed for some trophies (the spells and miracles ones, mostly). So it looks like they made this game much, much harder than Dark Souls to platinum (which I did). And that game wasn't a walk in the park either. In Dark Souls a few covenant rewards were required, but, for example, if you didn't want to do PvP, you could farm the rewards from the covenant off of certain mobs and turn them in for the covenant.

On the Wiki I'm only seeing mob drops for the Sun medals. Those I can actually get the normal way. Maybe people just haven't discovered them yet (there are lots of blank pages on the Wiki), but I'm hoping there are farmable items for all the PvP covenants, at least. Of course the limited respawns makes that much harder to do. I remember one item in particular you had to farm in that dream world place in Dark Souls and it took me a long time to get what I needed. Bonfire ascetics may become a necessity at that point.

#259 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

Yeah, I'm going to hold off on the ascetics for now - at least until NG+ probably.

So, I was looking at the covenant rewards on the wiki, and some have ridiculous requirements - and the "prizes" from leveling up are needed for some trophies (the spells and miracles ones, mostly). So it looks like they made this game much, much harder than Dark Souls to platinum (which I did). And that game wasn't a walk in the park either. In Dark Souls a few covenant rewards were required, but, for example, if you didn't want to do PvP, you could farm the rewards from the covenant off of certain mobs and turn them in for the covenant.

On the Wiki I'm only seeing mob drops for the Sun medals. Those I can actually get the normal way. Maybe people just haven't discovered them yet (there are lots of blank pages on the Wiki), but I'm hoping there are farmable items for all the PvP covenants, at least. Of course the limited respawns makes that much harder to do. I remember one item in particular you had to farm in that dream world place in Dark Souls and it took me a long time to get what I needed. Bonfire ascetics may become a necessity at that point.

Judging by how everything is structured I would imagine the Bonfire Ascetics would indeed be a necessity especially if looking to 100% the game.

I would be extremely surprised if you could somehow do it without every burning one.

Once you level up more though I am sure it wont be as bad.

So, now that we all have had about a week with the game we should post our gear and stuff that we are using. I am curious to see the builds everyone has.

I have basically all my points in Vitality, Strength and Dexterity and am sitting at SL 120

My armor is Vengarl's entire set except for the gloves which are the Drangleic ones. The chest and helmet are leveled to +2 I believe and that is about it.

I primarily use my Compound Bow +8 and the Heilde Sword +8. If I decide to equip a shield it is usually the one from the black armor pack with all of the chains and stuff haha completely forgot the name. I can't recall the rings I use at the moment but basically anything to increase stamina, life and equipment burden.

I try and get a few quick shots in with my bow and then rush in to finish most enemies off with my sword.

I originally wanted to play as an Ultra Greatsword user but decided to play through at least one time to figure out what I would even want my equipment to be and what not and see the different weapons and armors available.

Also, I saw in the loading screen a shield that seemed similar to the Grass Crest Shield, one that increases stamina recovery. Has anyone found such a shield yet? I would really like to have that!

#260 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

Speaking of that gaggle of soldiers in Bastille, I got overrun by them too, that's what caused me to give up progressing along that path and try the tower of flame. 

The ones with the longswords? They are easily dealt with by just going over the stairs. They all fall down one or two at a time and almost always do a roll. 

I got a lot from the crows and you can farm them in Shrine of Amana. It made decent use of all the luck coins I've gathered. :)

I only ended up with 9 of them in my first playthrough so choose wisely. 

You can find a bit of them throughout and buy a lot of them from merchants. No need to be frugal with them. :-P

#261 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

So I am already having withdrawals hahah.

I have played this every day since release but yesterday I was super busy and couldn't ignore my responsibilities like I did last week, and it will be the same case for tonight and tomorrow!!!

Damn life, don't you know Dark Souls needs to be played???

#262 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

Also, I saw in the loading screen a shield that seemed similar to the Grass Crest Shield, one that increases stamina recovery. Has anyone found such a shield yet? I would really like to have that!

There's three of those shields iirc. They show up mid-late game though. Pretty great when your two-handing. I also like the the magic parry shields too. It always surprises magic spammers when I parry their great/heavy soul arrows or lightning spears right back at them for an easy 1-hit KO.  :lol:  

#263 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

There's three of those shields iirc. They show up mid-late game though. Pretty great when your two-handing. I also like the the magic parry shields too. It always surprises magic spammers when I parry their great/heavy soul arrows or lightning spears right back at them for an easy 1-hit KO.  :lol:  

Hm, I am already at the castle I am surprised I haven't found one at least yet.

And when I got one of the shields that said it parries magic I got all excited. I haven't tried it yet in PvP but I can imagine it is amazing.

Speaking of shields, the Porcine Shield that you get near the Smelter Demon says it 'may spook an unsuspecting foe.' Has anyone figured out if this shield has a similar impact as

Spoiler

#264 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

So I am already having withdrawals hahah.

I have played this every day since release but yesterday I was super busy and couldn't ignore my responsibilities like I did last week, and it will be the same case for tonight and tomorrow!!!

Damn life, don't you know Dark Souls needs to be played???

Heh, now you know how I felt going on vacation for 3 days, 2 days after the game came out.  You got pretty far in , at least, sounds like.  

I beat The Pursuer last night, but I didn't end up getting to explore a whole new area like I was hoping, since

Spoiler
that I hadn't seen yet, but then quickly connected with the rest of that level that I had already gone through.

I did get to Sinner's Rise and explored that watery hell-hole, but got my ass handed to me by the boss.  Might be time to finally explore that well in Majula.

#265 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Heh, now you know how I felt going on vacation for 3 days, 2 days after the game came out.  You got pretty far in , at least, sounds like.  

I beat The Pursuer last night, but I didn't end up getting to explore a whole new area like I was hoping, since

Spoiler
that I hadn't seen yet, but then quickly connected with the rest of that level that I had already gone through.

I did get to Sinner's Rise and explored that watery hell-hole, but got my ass handed to me by the boss.  Might be time to finally explore that well in Majula.

Hah yeah I got pretty far but I too am going on a short trip this weekend now as well! Haha I had a full week with the game almost and then a full week off : p

Yeah the Last Sinner is a tough boss, though with summons it is not nearly as bad since his focus isn't directly on you.

I love how you can take this game in whatever way really. Like I didn't fight the Last Sinner until WELL AFTER going down the well and exploring and defeating all of the bosses including the Rotten. Like there is a set path you can take according to the devs I am sure that is the most gradual hike in difficulty but really you can do whatever. Like in Dark Souls the first are I explored was the graveyard and below... which let me tell you was a pain but it made the game that much more awesome!

Ah the Souls series. So good so good haha

#266 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hm, I am already at the castle I am surprised I haven't found one at least yet.

I think two merchants sell 2/3 of those shields, but the last one I think drops from a mob. I'm unsure on the last shield though since I pick up everything.

Hah yeah I got pretty far but I too am going on a short trip this weekend now as well! Haha I had a full week with the game almost and then a full week off : p

Yeah the Last Sinner is a tough boss, though with summons it is not nearly as bad since his focus isn't directly on you.

I love how you can take this game in whatever way really. Like I didn't fight the Last Sinner until WELL AFTER going down the well and exploring and defeating all of the bosses including the Rotten. Like there is a set path you can take according to the devs I am sure that is the most gradual hike in difficulty but really you can do whatever. Like in Dark Souls the first are I explored was the graveyard and below... which let me tell you was a pain but it made the game that much more awesome!

Ah the Souls series. So good so good haha

Last Sinner was annoying to me because I had to keep a certain NPC alive for a trophy. Sinner just went to town on the NPC until I realized wearing the aggro ring made it a lot easier.

Anyway, I enjoy the openness tribute to the original DS versus DkS choke point funneling into Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo. Although in DkS defense, I enjoyed the bosses a lot more than any of the ones I've encountered so far in DkSII: Ornstein <3, Artorias <3, and Manus. 

#267 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

I think two merchants sell 2/3 of those shields, but the last one I think drops from a mob.

Last Sinner was annoying to me because I had to keep a certain NPC alive for a trophy. Sinner just went to town on the NPC until I realized wearing the aggro ring made it a lot easier.

Anyway, I enjoy the openness tribute to the original DS versus DkS choke point funneling into Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo. Although in DkS defense, I enjoyed the bosses a lot more than any of the ones I've encountered so far in DkSII. Hyper-Ornstein, Artorias <3, and Manus. 

When I get back on Thursday night I will hunt down all of the merchants and check! 

Completely agree with the comparisons.

I like all of the bosses here in Dark Souls 2 but they don't have that lasting feel. Like when I kill them they are dead okay whatever whereas in Dark Souls I would still be going on in my head about some of those intense bosses. To their credit I do enjoy the designs of them all here just not AS much as Dark Souls. Though I haven't finished yet. I think I have fought some 22 bosses or so and I know there are still a handful more so I reserve judgement until I am 100% done haha

#268 Doomtime   Victor von Doom CAGiversary!   5780 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

You can find a bit of them throughout and buy a lot of them from merchants. No need to be frugal with them. :-P

Ok that's good to hear. I didn't pay any attention to them until I read about it towards the end of the game. 

@Broly- I'll post my build when I get home tonight. Stuck at work  :beer:

#269 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

Ok that's good to hear. I didn't pay any attention to them until I read about it towards the end of the game. 

@Broly- I'll post my build when I get home tonight. Stuck at work  :beer:

Since I can't play Dark Souls at work (and wont get a chance until Thursday night now) I have this and a few other sites open up on my second monitor permanently this week to get my fix  :joystick:  haha

#270 Doomtime   Victor von Doom CAGiversary!   5780 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Since I can't play Dark Souls at work (and wont get a chance until Thursday night now) I have this and a few other sites open up on my second monitor permanently this week to get my fix  :joystick:  haha

Yeah I lurk Gamefaqs. Toxic community with useful info I'd never discover myself.  :D/