Kinect Games to Get

tylerh1701

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
So I just recently picked up a Kinect, and I'd like to get a few games to play on it. Right now I only have Child of Eden and Wreckateer. I've heard the Double Fine Kinect game is fun, and I think I want Fruit Ninja too.

So, can anyone else suggest some good Kinect games I should look into picking up?

Thanks.

Dance Central 3 is the dancing game to get IMO, though Just Dance 4 has its fans. You might even start with DC 1 or 2 if you'd like to export their songs to DC3, which is a great thing to do.

Gunstringer download codes can be had for very cheap, and it's a fine game too. People bag on Kinect Star Wars a lot, but it has a lot of variety and fun references for Star Wars fans. If you like collecting things or Disney in general, Kinect Disneyland Adventures will keep you busy pretty much forever.

Thanks Paul. Totally forgot about Gunstringer, that's definitely at the top of my list.

Maybe a dumb question, but is there any way for me to get it to stop tracking my hand on the xbox dashboard? I know to get it to start I wave, but is there a way to get it to so stop?

[quote name='tylerh1701']So I just recently picked up a Kinect, and I'd like to get a few games to play on it. Right now I only have Child of Eden and Wreckateer. I've heard the Double Fine Kinect game is fun, and I think I want Fruit Ninja too.

So, can anyone else suggest some good Kinect games I should look into picking up?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that the Double Fine game Happy Action Theatre, while extremely well implemented, is more or less a giant tech demo. It'll keep younger children occupied for a while, and theres 1 or 2 events that can be fun with some adults and a few beers (namely the cloning machine :applause:), but once you go through and see everything once you may not be back to it except to show it off to others who haven't yet seen it. They're also supposed to be working on a sequel of sorts under a different name that may have more substance.

EDIT: Nelson just annoucned Kinect Party, the Happy Action Theatre sequel hits on the 18th and is free to the 31st!

As for retail games, I'm going to highly reccomend PowerUP Heroes, Marvel Avengers Battle for Earth - its spiritual successor by the same dev, and Kung Fu High Impact.

The first two have you acting out motions in real time fights with abilities that activate cooldowns. Its not completely fluid real time, a bit more reactionary. Timing a dodge and counter as your opponent is still stuck in the animation of a missed attack. Check out some videos for them, they kinect responsiveness is impressive for these titles. Plus its fun seeing your avatar suped up with all kinds of powers in the former, and rocking some triple A marvel characters in the latter.

Kung Fu High Impact, to me, is one of the most overlooked kinect titles. It has a few flaws, but its extremely unique. Its basically a sidescrolling beat'em up that imports your actual full body image in the game as the character. It takes a bit to get down all the motions for sliding around the screen and kicking ass, but once you do its loads of fun. This game seriously gives a better cardio workout than the dance games imo. The story is also told in a funny, albeit cheesey comic book fashion that has you make goofy faces and poses before each scene to import you into it.

Kinect Sports is worth a pick up as well. Keep an eye out for the Ultimate Edition with 1+2+all DLC dropping in price in the next month or so.

For Arcarde titles, Fruit Ninja is a MUST. Though you're already aware of this.

I'm also awaiting for a sale on Diabolical Pitch myself, but you can judge that one for yourself as I haven't even played it yet. I'm interested enough to bite on sale though.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions regarding particular titles lemme know. I have a decent sized Kinect collection so I may be able to offer insight or opinions on specifics you may be considering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just remembered a game I left out. Sesame Street Once Upon a Monster.

If you have any nostalgia for Sesame this is a fantastic homage to the monsters we grew up on. Even if you harbor no love for the furry goofballs this is a pretty well put together package on its own (Double Fine at work here). There's not a whole lot of challenge for adults, but its an enjoyable ride. The whole storybook can be played in co-op as well.

Did I mention you get to disco pelvic thrust with Grover?! \\:D/

I started playing Avengers B4E the other day with my son, and it's leagues above Power-up Heroes. The change from no-name characters to ones you know & love makes all the difference. Everything also feels more fine-tuned, accurate, and faster.

Rhythm Party is still my favorite XBLA Kinect game
Kinect Fun Labs and all of the little free apps (be careful as some of the apps cost 240msp)
Mars Rover Landing is free and nerdy fun.

As for the hand-waving issue, once you grab a controller and start using it again, Kinect pretty much takes a back seat automatically.

not knowing your gaming habits...

fruit ninja
Kinect Sports series, especially KS1. but now they sell the combo pack for cheap. BF had it for $15-25.
Kung Fu High Impact
Dance Central series
Just Dance series
Fable the Journey
Marvel Avengers
PowerUP Heroes
rhythm party
puss in boots
Disneyland Adventures (only if you grew up a strong Disney fan)
if you like Black-Eyed Peas, The Black-Eyed Peas Experience is a really slick game. but it's only the BEP so you have to like the music.

steel battalion
halo CE anniversary (some nice Kinect exclusives)
forza horizon
forza motorsport 4
Mass Effect 3
need for speed most wanted

for exercise:
UFC Personal Trainer
The Biggest Loser
Zumba Fitness Rush

Fruit Ninja Kinect for sure! :)

I honestly like Star Wars Kinect. Sure, it's mediocre, but really fun co-op. The rancor rampage is a lot of fun, podracing is kind of neat but wears your arms out, the campaign is a bit cheesy but showcases a lot (lightsaber battles, using the force, etc.). The dancing is worth a laugh just to see the stupid intro scenes. If you can find it sub $20-25, i would bite on it. I am a star wars fan though :)

Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 is good if you are into exercise based mini-games and such.

PowerUP heroes is a fun battle game, and can be had for pretty cheap now. I haven't touched Fable The Journey yet, but from demo's it looks OK - not worth retail though.

The only thing I've used my Kinect for is the Dance Central games and Child of Eden, and I feel like I got my money's worth out of it.

Aside from Gunstringer - my favorite overall game of 2011 - I recommend Rise of Nightmares. Not perfect but highly underrated in my opinion.

Any Dance Central game and Fruit Ninja are a must for the Kinect.

I agree with Kung Fu High Impact. Tried the demo and was surprised at how much fun my friends and I had with just the demo alone! Totally worth picking up.

I got Disneyland Adventures because I was a big Disney fan growing up but I could not get into it. The minigames weren't engaging enough and some were extremely simple that it felt like a chore to complete. Understand that it is aimed for kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only game I can really recommend is Happy Action Theater, it's great, especially if you have kids to enjoy it with. Sesame Street is pretty decent too, but not as fun as DFHAT. I can't wait for the sequel next week.

I need to put more time into Child of Eden and Gunstringer, neither made much of an impression but I only played them once or twice.

I had some fun with Haunt, but I got it for free... not sure if I'd recommend actually paying for it. Some of the Kinect Fun Labs are actually fun, particularly Air Band and Battle Stuff which were free.

Thanks for the input everyone!!! I've generated a pretty big list of games to keep my eye on. I've already managed to get codes for Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja through the trade thread, and I think I'll check out Kinect Party for free next week, and if I really like it, I'll see if I can get a DFHAT code for cheap. I also have Wreckateer from the free giveaway and I was surprised how well the Kinect worked with it. And being the Achievement junkie that I am, I'll definitely go through all the free Kinect Fun Lab "games" as well. I bought my Kinect used so I need to get a copy of Kinect Adventues as well, I believe Gamestop sells those for $0.99.

Kinectimals, Leedmees, and NBA Baller Beats are the 3 other games I found doing my own research that seemed mildly interesting. I've heard bad things about Leedmees though, specifically that it doesn't control well.

Also, thanks Kerig for the tip! Sometimes I like to surf the computer for random things while I play games, and I couldn't get the Kinect to stop tracking my hands, so I was selecting random things on screen.

Thanks for the input everyone!!! I've generated a pretty big list of games to keep my eye on. I've already managed to get codes for Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja through the trade thread, and I think I'll check out Kinect Party for free next week, and if I really like it, I'll see if I can get a DFHAT code for cheap. I also have Wreckateer from the free giveaway and I was surprised how well the Kinect worked with it. And being the Achievement junkie that I am, I'll definitely go through all the free Kinect Fun Lab "games" as well. I bought my Kinect used so I need to get a copy of Kinect Adventues as well, I believe Gamestop sells those for $0.99.

Kinectimals, Leedmees, and NBA Baller Beats are the 3 other games I found doing my own research that seemed mildly interesting. I've heard bad things about Leedmees though, specifically that it doesn't control well.

No probs Tyler, love helping people find the enjoyment of Kinect. It will never replace true gaming, but its got plenty to offer, especially in the future, and no where close as terrible as its portrayed to be.

Honestly I would pass on just about all of the Fun Lab jokes. They're pretty mediocre and just not fun.

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']Honestly I would pass on just about all of the Fun Lab jokes. They're pretty mediocre and just not fun.[/QUOTE]

Most of them are free, and Battle Stuff is awesome!

The first thing I did was scan in my R.O.B. The Robot, giant (24") Domo, my dog, and my R2-D2 Taco Bell cup to have them fight each other. Even with all of the confusion of "did my input actually work?", it was still a great deal of fun watching them destroy each other pixel by pixel.

[quote name='tylerh1701'] I've heard bad things about Leedmees though, specifically that it doesn't control well.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fan of Leedmees after playing the demo. But one tip that I didn't realize until later. Follow the on-screen tips. It matters.

Like for the leedmees walking on the ground. I kept trying to put my hand on the ground for them to climb on top. That's NOT what you're supposed to do. You're supposed to lower just enough for them to grab onto your arm. I had no idea what to do and if I simply read the on-screen prompts, it would've been easy.

Not that easy, Dirtyvu... Picking them up from the ground without squishing them is just stupidly hard. Any little bump will randomly kill them. That game is so busted.

bread's done
Back