DotEmu Christmas Promo: 10 classic games for $15 (Silverfall, Another World, LBA, +)

seamoss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
166 (100%)
DotEmu, a store similar to GOG, is starting their Christmas Sale.

Most of their PC catalog is currently discounted by at least 50%.

The best offer however is their Christmas Fantasy Mashup Pack
which is $14.99 for the following classics until December 21st:
  • Another World
  • Fantasy Wars
  • Little Big Adventure
  • Little Big Adventure 2
  • Majesty Gold HD
  • Silmarils Collection
  • Silverfall
  • Silverfall: Earth Awakening
  • Tropico Reloaded
  • Two Worlds Epic Edition
All games are DRM-free and can be downloaded from your DotEmu account - NO STEAM.

Well worth it if you don't already have most of these games.

I just talked to some folks. They said these are not legitimate. They told me the place clearly has no license agreements with the varied publishers. They thanked me for contacting them and said their legal councils will be contacting some of the others that are still around as well as the appropriate authorities.

[quote name='Meowser']I just talked to some folks. They said these are not legitimate. They told me the place clearly has no license agreements with the varied publishers. They thanked me for contacting them and said their legal councils will be contacting some of the others that are still around as well as the appropriate authorities.[/QUOTE]

You must be joking - who are "some folks"? I and a lot of people here have been buying games from DotEmu for years.
I can assure you that they are completely legitimate.

It should be noted that the Silmarils Collection is actually a bundle itself, containing these 16 games:
  • Boston Bomb Club
  • Bunny Bricks
  • Wind Surf Willy
  • Colorado
  • Maya
  • Metal Mutant
  • StarBlade
  • Targhan
  • Deus
  • Robinson’s Requiem
  • Storm Master
  • Transartica
  • Crystals of Arborea
  • Ishar I
  • Ishar II
  • Ishar III

I spoke to the folks at Topware.

I can assure you they are not legitimate.

A contract with Amazon? Please. My brother works for Amazon.com, Amazon contracts nothing with itty bitty places like that nor do they contract out their digital download catalog.

You think this company has a contract with Sega licenses? Yet, there sits lots of Sega titles for digital download.

At CheapAssGamer the premise of the site is to find good deals on games, I love the place! Found myself many great awesome deals from legit operations.

See... Licenses cost money, sometimes BIG money to redistribute digital media be that PC Games, Videos whatall.

I also took the liberty of calling Sega whom after 25 minutes finally got me someone and they said the same thing. They have zero license to distribute anything Sega based and thanked me as they are contacting authorities.

As I said, I love CAG, finds me great deals and I suppose its why an operation like that would come here to try and take advantage of that fact.

But, torks me to see them take peoples money here when in fact if folks want that stuff they sell bad enough they can readily find it on BitTorrents which is probably where that place got em' from to begin with.

Now... Just IMAGINE that CAG administration were to contact Sega and say, "Hey... We want sell your Genesis line with an emulator". Answer: No. Or, Nintendo with NES, SNES, N64 etc.

We all know that BitTorrents etc etc. damage the industry. To what extent anyone can argue, millions, billions who knows? You tell me which is worse? Those torrenting such things or those capitalizing on it? Which is worse? People freely redistributing video games in downloads or people who are taking your money sticking it in their pockets and have NO more right to do so than those freely distributing (aka: Pirating) the stuff?

Legally its easy. Re-Distribution without consent is illegal. Re-sale w/ redistribution is MUCH more illegal as NOW some people are profiting from theft essentially.

In this case, two calls, two of the same answers. Would any of you pay money in a store for burned PC, PS/3, Sega, This/that games? No. You would say, "I am not supporting some characters who burn games as I could do that myself if I so wanted".

This is no different.

Want to prove to these folks at CAG you are legitimate?

Ok.

PM me the name of the party at Sega who granted you license to redistribute.

I will happily call back Sega Corporation and get to that person.

CAG is a special place where people look for and find exceptional gaming bargains.

The site supports retailers and online eCommerce. Target Corp., Gamestop Corp., Walmart Corp, BestBuy, TRU and others. Online, Newegg, Amazon, Go Hastings and many more.

People here spend hard-earned money with these entities and by doing so help SUPPORT the industry THEY LOVE. The Retailers, eTailers, Publishers, Developers and System Manufacturers from Microsoft to Sony, Nintendo and more all gain from the money CAG'rs spend.

The site is NOT (to the best of my knowledge) a place that supports piracy and certainly would not support PAID piracy with their users dollars.

Just because some operation grabs a digital download script (online application for those not in the know) and makes it appear legit and pretty does not make it legit or pretty.

While folks may not be delighted with Steam and the way Valve operates Steam thats normal... Its just like we might not like how Bethesda lets say puts heavy DRM on some title(s). But... Steam DOES pay publishers and developers who DESERVE TO be PAID as THEY DID/DO the work we ALL LOVE. Steam supports quite a bit of "indie" causes in good titles as well giving those who NEVER would have the opportunity to get broadband exposure to their gaming software engineering the opportunity to succeed and grow.

Amazon PAYS publishers/developers for their digital download rights and its not "chump change".

Would you the readers rather support the companies whom support the game developers/publishers or would you rather just give your money away to a place that has no rights to do what they are doing? If thats the case, then you might as well just go download the stuff via BitTorrent and save your hard earned dollars to at least support the retailers, eTailers, publishers and developers that you will buy from. At least that way your money goes back into the industry you love .vs. some people (usually person) preying on your wallet.

Choice is yours.

Oh.... Incidently

I am a software engineer though I have not worked on games in many years. I did work for Atari, EA, Dynamix, Sierra.

((twoB) || (!twoB)) thatIsTheQuestion();

I did not talk to Sega Customer Service. As I said, I am not a newbie to the industry. I know how it works. I talked to Sega Corporate HQ's licensing group. Thats why I said, "By all means give me the name of the person who granted license, as... knowbody did." and this is true of topware as well which is owned by Zuxxez.

Amazon is a bit of a different deal depending on what your speaking of.

If a vendor is the Rights owner of a digital download title Amazon (last I knew) does screen that. They require paperwork for their own legal liabilities. But, "John Q. Pubic" (yes I said pubic) cant go on Amazon and set up digital downloads for say Topware titles. Amazon will shut it down and take legal action if so warranted.

Amazon vendors are approved by Amazon and last I knew Amazon holds payments for new vendors until such a time as they can see no problems ensuing. Otherwise it'd be like eBay with a gazillion sellers and 2-gazillion problems.

eBay (according to my brother) is attempting to re-invent itself infact to be Amazon-Like hence all the changes in Video Games, DVD's etc. moving towards UPC codes, showing all offers under one SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) etc. I guess the plan is to be like an "Amazon.com" but an auction instead with the private sell a thing or twenty here and there phased out.

With that said... A look back in time via The Wayback Machine shows that the site was about Emulation. Emulation folks are those notorious for lets get free games although we dont have legal rights to do so.

Obviously, they could'nt make money at that so... lets try this. Its not uncommon folks and if you care to look you will find sites all over the world doing the same thing. If you can read Chinese or Crylic etc. etc. they are all over the place. Notably, you dont find very many in the USA, Europe, Asia etc. many just as you dont find many bitTorrent places in the USA. Why? Because here the government/authorities make some efforts to shut em' down. Why? Because in many cases its profitable to said authorities and/or politicians (and associates) to do so.

Over there? Different story. They like to see your American dollars exit your country stage left so those American Dollars boost their economy and diminish yours.

Microsoft as one BIG example has paid OOODLES of money to China, former Soviet and then some governments to PROTECT Microsoft products from NOT PIRACY in the sense you think... But to try and STOP the resale/redistribution of it AND that resale/redistribution is NOT in those nations! Its RIGHT BACK HERE in the USA!

So... here's the picture folks:

Operation in China for example, a building where copies of Windows 8 or MS Office are being produced. They look just as good as the real thing! Even the packaging looks same!

Thousands of copies end up on Freighter #1 and more on #2 and more on #3. The containers have LOTS of other stuff in em' too... Exports of clothes lets say. These are those big rail containers. Container #32, #71, #87 etc are marked subtly.

They go ALLLLL the way across the open sea and arrive in US Ports. Do you think customs checks EVERY box and EVERY shipping container in em? Uh Uh. They are more concerned about NASTY (terror) items in em'. Sure, some go through random inspections.

Then on this side of the world when containers are unloaded and go into the route sorts for warehouse distributions, these sits the 200 cases that appear to be clothing containers but inside are the copies of Windows.

They then get sold, places such as auctions sites etc etc etc. And all that nice money (well the lions share) ends up? Thats right! Going back to China in our example where it can be further used to undermine YOUR economy which equates to YOUR lifestyle, YOUR family, YOUR children and yes, YOUR jobs.

In MANY MANY ways. Microsoft as an example instead of "Here's Windows" instead does, Windows Home, Windows Pro, Windows Enterprise... They raise costs that COVER the expense of paying governments around the world to protect Microsofts rights/interests. Those governments ought be doing so without getting paid. Right?

Well... Here in the USA our competitors in goods get protection under our system, many places (many many) not the case.

Think its different in PC Games? Uh Uh.

Ever wonder why a new release at Walmart is $50 yet on eBay there it is new, 10 copies for $25 or $30? Now you know.

Walmart cannot consign it under NET terms for that $30. More like $42.

Whats Net terms? 30 NET 10 would mean sell it all in 30 days or incur 10% more cost or return to distributor, say BMG Inc. for price protection (aka: a credit of the $42).

Does it happen in PS/3, X-Box 360, Wii etc? Yep Yep. Happens in DVD Videos as well though thats fallen off quite a bit in the USA. After all, you buying a replicated DVD for $10 netting $7 profit to be split between the hosers at hand is not near as nice as $27 per copy is it?

Surprisingly enough, the former Soviet republics have done more to curb illegit exportation than Western Europe or the Asian arena. Why? Because things that were also getting outside the borders were of great concern to them, so, their customs (if you will) authority became considerably more strict.... AND... Breaking exportation laws in the former Soviet republics has dire consequences. So... many of those went "Lets go digital!" and they jump around.... 4 months hosting here, then 2 there, then 3 here...

If you ask our government about it all they will tell you, "Yes Mr. and Mrs., Mz., Miss. etc".... "The theft of digital properties with RESALE to OUR OWN CITIZENS in dollars is organized crime and the amounts are staggering". (Staggering?). I've heard quotes that it rivals the drug trade in dollars. Makes sense. Few games, $50 or $60. Multiply that by tens of thousands per title. Adds up.

Now want even a BIGGER laugh?

Ok!

The manufacture of alot of the DVD's etc. that ARE legit are done where? That is to say the mass replications of LEGIT product.

Crazy world folks.

But... As I said, I love CAG and it serves a great purpose and growing membership!
I hate to see alot of really good folks get snared into their dollars working against them or others taking advantage of such a great community of people and such a wonderful site made so wonderful by those same people.

[quote name='PetersHere']How exactly does this site work? Do they provide steam keys?[/QUOTE]

No. They dont provide Steam Keys.

In fact, the site is based overseas apparently. The Wayback machine said France.

Its funny really... Folks in the USA are constantly barraged about how bad the USA has been in international quarters. Yet, most of the folks in this nation are of good integrity. Sure, we are the worlds biggest consumers but we EARN IT.

As I said, Here in the USA such sites get stomped on pretty quick.

The folks at Valve (Steam) understand all too well. Steam did not start out as a place to really go buy downloadable titles. But it has grown well. The reason it has grown well is they have created a formula and the proper partnerships to make it a really credible operation irregardless of likes or dislikes about the actual way it works.

Good Old Games is another service that has worked hard to get where they are and they make real agreements with the Digital Rights owners. In doing so, look, a really nice, credible service where prices are good and everyone benefits... everyone. Not JUST THEM.

As I said, there are lots of these download sites on the net but very very few whom are not stiffing the actual people who are responsible for the games your buying. Instead, they simply take your money for someone elses work.

[quote name='Meowser']I talked to Sega Corporate HQ's licensing group.[/QUOTE]
Were you talking to Sega USA? Because Sega's a Japanese company, and seeing as DotEMU is located in France, it's unlikely the USA branch would be the one handling the licensing for them.

According to Wikipedia, the company got its start in building emulated ports of games for other game studios. It's possible the PC ports of the Sega games were originally developed by DotEMU:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DotEmu

The company recently developed the enhanced PC version of Final Fantasy VII for Square Enix:
https://www.facebook.com/dotemu/posts/359597847448990

In their sparse corporate news, they mention licensing the Similaris titles, as well as developing a web version of Street Fighter II CE for Capcom and Gametap:
http://corporate.dotemu.com/index.php?page=company&cat=news

In this press release they announce the deal with SEGA. They also mention the ports to iOS and Android they did of games like R-Type, X-MEN and Another World. Those are some pretty high-profile games, and their ports on those platforms surely would've been noticed by now if they hadn't been properly licensed:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...EGA_BUNDLE_ON_DOTEMU_40_GAMES_FOR_ONLY999.php

OK, so I remembered that I had X-Men for Android that I got for free on Amazon's Appstore as a FAOTD. The company that released the app is Konami Digital Entertainment. I downloaded and installed it, and sure enough DotEMU is one of the intro logos.

I think Meowser's heart's in the right place, and it's good to be suspicious of sites you haven't heard of before, but I think in this case he overreacted.

I occasionally feel self conscious that I'm being needlessly wordy in my posts. That I'm using several paragraphs to say something that probably could have been said in one sentence.

Thanks for making me feel better about my posts Meowser

Regarding Topware.....

This announcement by DotEMU of the TopWare catalog contained this line:
http://www.dotemu.com/en/more-than-20-games-are-50-off-for-a-week-on-dotemucom
The TopWare Interactive catalog (edited by Plug In Digital) is now available on DotEmu.com!

Looking up Plug In Digital shows that it's a digital distribution company. One of their clients is TopWare:
http://www.plug-in-digital.com/digital-distribution/

So TopWare may not be directly aware of DotEmu, but they licensed their digital distribution out to Plug in Digital, which then licensed it to DotEmu.

Edit: here's a nice page of Plug in Digital's partners, and showing both DotEmu and TopWare. One big happy family....
http://www.plug-in-digital.com/references/

[quote name='mitch079']Who the fuck is this noob?[/QUOTE]

I don't know what that picture has to do with the thread, but your picture seems to show Vince McMahon, no idea what the fuck that license thing is suppose to be.

[quote name='mitch079']Who the fuck is this noob?[/QUOTE]

Oh, I was gonna say the same thing. Trollin' like the world is coming to an end...wait a sec...

[quote name='loomis1975']I don't know what that picture has to do with the thread, but your picture seems to show Vince McMahon, no idea what the fuck that license thing is suppose to be.[/QUOTE]

It's my sig. The license is the McLovin one from Superbad with Vince's pic in it. It has nothing to do with the question I asked.

Well, regardless of what those who made this bundle are doing, I won't be buying on the grounds that they don't offer steam keys, so... The least they could do is offer a client, or make these accessible on some client. I hate PC games that aren't on a client. Consoles and Steam have spoiled me. I like everything nice and neat in one area.

DotEMU has update their sale with two new bundles for $15 each.

Click Me I'm Famous Pack:
http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/5106/click-me-im-famous-pack
  • Broken Sword Trilogy Remastered
    • Broken Sword - The Director's Cut
    • Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered
    • Broken Sword - The Sleeping Dragon
  • Fairy Tale about Father Frost, Ivan and Nastya
  • Gobliiins Trilogy (PC - Windows)
    • Gobliiins
    • Gobliiins 2
    • Gobliiins 3
  • Jack Orlando Director's Cut