-No more new games coming out for it
-Outdated
-Better off buying a Wii U which plays all Wii games[/QUOTE]

...which is why it's on clearance.

[quote name='Nintendonly']-Not backwards compatible
-Outdated

If not being able to play GameCube games is a knock against the Wii, wouldn't it also be a knock against the WiiU?

69 dollars seems like a really good deal. Who cares if its not backwards compatible. There's still plenty of good games to play. I might get one for my niece and nephew who have never played a Mario game before

-Outdated

I play gamecube games on my wii all the time

[quote name='gettinmoney662']If not being able to play GameCube games is a knock against the Wii, wouldn't it also be a knock against the WiiU?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't really knock a console for not being able to play physical games 2 generations behind it from a hardware standpoint. Also I thought they announced that gamecube games downloads would be coming to the Wii U E-shop eventually. I know that doesn't do people any good that have a stack of gamecube carts, but if you do, its your own damn fault for not having a working gamecube system or an original wii.

I know you can get the backward compatible wii used for pretty cheap on cowboom.com from time to time.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']If not being able to play GameCube games is a knock against the Wii, wouldn't it also be a knock against the WiiU?[/QUOTE]

its a knock against it when the feature was removed for no apparent reason at all.

[quote name='atomicmouse']I play gamecube games on my wii all the time[/QUOTE]

The more recent versions of the wii removed gamecube backwards compatibility just like the PS3 versions did with PS2 backward compatibility.

[quote name='kayne2000']its a knock against it when the feature was removed for no apparent reason at all.[/QUOTE]

Ohhhhh. Completely wasn't aware of that haha thanks

[quote name='loomis1975']I wouldn't really knock a console for not being able to play physical games 2 generations behind it from a hardware standpoint. Also I thought they announced that gamecube games downloads would be coming to the Wii U E-shop eventually. I know that doesn't do people any good that have a stack of gamecube carts, but if you do, its your own damn fault for not having a working gamecube system or an original wii.

I know you can get the backward compatible wii used for pretty cheap on cowboom.com from time to time.[/QUOTE]

My point is, if you're not going to buy a Wii because it doesn't play GameCube games, why would you buy the WiiU?

For a second there I though someone was trying to justify the purchase of a wii when it's much more sensible to put that money towards a console that is backwards compatible with the wii games.:lol:

[quote name='wargod']For a second there I though someone was trying to justify the purchase of a wii when it's much more sensible to put that money towards a console that is backwards compatible with the wii games.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Perhaps if the Wii-U wasnt total crap, you might have a point.

Sadly....

The Wii is, and has been, and will be the perfect console for the kids to stuff in a 8 year old's bedroom.

[quote name='sgaldis']Decent price to put a sealed one in my 'collector's closet' to go beside my sealed Gamecube and Red Super Mario Wii. :)[/QUOTE]

Do you have a sealed Philips CD-i in that closet along with a sealed copy of Hotel Mario and the three Link/Zelda games? ;-)

What was the slogan? "Its like CD for your television?"

Get this shit somewhere else , unless you want a new one for collectors or u dont care about prices for le wii. Pawnshops/thrift stores or cl you can get it for about 40$ w/ backward compability

-Outdated
-Better off buying a Wii U which plays all Wii games[/QUOTE]if a person hasn't already gotten wii at this point then most likely they won't get a wiiu till it's $70ish too right in like 2018 2019. Cheapest wii u is $230 more.

[quote name='haku67']This is an pretty good deal for people who still don't have an Wii yet. :)[/QUOTE]ding ding ding

Went back and checked just in case the console might of been previous version. Small text on bottom of box says "not compatible with GameCube games and accessories"

[quote name='oasisboy']I am still waiting for a $99 MSRP Wii combo with Super Mario Galaxy 2.[/QUOTE]

Lol, you're waiting to buy a wii until a specific game is included? Are you new to gaming? You could have bought those separately for $100 dozens of times by now...

-Outdated

Yes, because spending $300 is totally comparable to spending $70.

[quote name='Ashane']Perhaps if the Wii-U wasnt total crap, you might have a point.

Sadly....

The Wii is, and has been, and will be the perfect console for the kids to stuff in a 8 year old's bedroom.[/QUOTE]

are you advocating 8 year olds play with their wii's in their bedroom???

[quote name='Enuf']if a person hasn't already gotten wii at this point then most likely they won't get a wiiu till it's $70ish too right in like 2018 2019. Cheapest wii u is $230 more.

ding ding ding[/QUOTE]

the Wii U wont be $70... they are losing money on every console till u buy ur first game... The Xbox 360 slim STILL goes for about $200 ps3 even more... the Wii U is alot more advanced with more tech involved like the tablet (which im using to post this right now so try doing that on a normal wii...)

[quote name='Hemi']are you advocating 8 year olds play with their wii's in their bedroom???[/QUOTE]

Where else would they play with them? In the living room in front of others? In the bathroom where they could get wet? Outside where the colder temperatures would have an adverse effect on the Wii's?

Oh nevermind, I see you're trying to make a joke now.

Because it's silly to think a console TWO generations removed would play Cube games.

It's as stupid as knocking the 3DS for not playing GBA carts.

At some point the cord has to be cut, and honestly no one should expect GCN playback on Wii U, outside of potential for VC.

[quote name='bonesawisready']Because it's silly to think a console TWO generations removed would play Cube games.

It's as stupid as knocking the 3DS for not playing GBA carts.

At some point the cord has to be cut, and honestly no one should expect GCN playback on Wii U, outside of potential for VC.[/QUOTE]

You didn't understand my point.

If I'm not going to buy a system because it doesn't play Gamecube games, why would I buy another system that doesn't play Gamecube games? If I did, then obviously not playing Gamecube games is not a big deal.

[quote name='kayne2000']its a knock against it when the feature was removed for no apparent reason at all.[/QUOTE]

This. So ridiculous nintendo did that. I bought 2 extra backward compatible wii's as they were phasing them out for cheap. Think they were like 80 or 90 bucks or something like that.

I wouldn't mind getting one for 70 if its not backwards compatible just to mod it for UK games. Can you do that with the newer ones or just the older ones? I just ordered a CE copy of Pandoras Tower recently

[quote name='loomis1975']Do you have a sealed Philips CD-i in that closet along with a sealed copy of Hotel Mario and the three Link/Zelda games? ;-)

What was the slogan? "Its like CD for your television?"[/QUOTE]

HAH! holy crap those games were HORRIBLE

[quote name='SnoT']I'd grab one if it's still soft mod-able[/QUOTE]

They are. All Wii's are in play for that. They haven't made a system menu version higher than 4.3 so it'll be fine.

Overall the Wii kinda sucked for an overall great game library IMO, but it had a pretty damn good library of RPGs, which is the genre of most games I buy. So overall I felt it was a solid system.

[quote name='outunderstars']At this point who really gives a crap if A wii can play gamecube games at this point?[/QUOTE]

because newer models of gamecube didn't support component cables, Sherlock

-Outdated
Hmmmm, $300 vs $70. A person is better off getting whats more affordable for what they want

[quote name='Hemi']the Wii U wont be $70... they are losing money on every console till u buy ur first game... The Xbox 360 slim STILL goes for about $200 ps3 even more... the Wii U is alot more advanced with more tech involved like the tablet (which im using to post this right now so try doing that on a normal wii...)[/QUOTE]
Um yes it will. The guy said it would take at least 6-7 years and chances are the Wii U will be able to be purhcased for that cheap by then, especially after Nintendo rolls out its successor

Last edited by a moderator:
Several Wii games support the Gamecube controller, and I'm not sure all of those support the Classic controller. So for that reason alone it's worth getting a Wii w/backwards compatibility.

so can anyone confirm that it $69 at there local walmart or is it super ymmv? :p.. im thinking of picking it up just play a couple of mario games, and the last story, is it worth it?..I figure I could prob resell it later for like $50 worst case scenario?..

[quote name='Flowstance']Lol, you're waiting to buy a wii until a specific game is included? Are you new to gaming? You could have bought those separately for $100 dozens of times by now...[/QUOTE]

Not new to gaming... look at my join date :roll:

I never bought a Wii since the games never appealed to me. Have been a gamer for 20+ years and grew up on a steady diet of Mario games... I never played Galaxy 1 or 2 since I dont want to buy a Wii but if a bundle were to include Galaxy 2 for $99, I would buy it.

I haven't seen a deal where both combined = $99. Wii's have always been above $100 and Galaxy 2 has always been $40+. Please tell me where you have seen a deal where both can be had for $100.

Even without GCN compatibility, you can still soft-mod the hell out of them.

NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, Genesis, Neo-Geo, TurboGrafx-16, 2600, 7800, Atari ST, all sorts of stuff. They support Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, or you can install WiiMC, the homebrew media channel, and stream video from your PC.

Not to be 'corporate defender' guy, but... do people really think that Nintendo removed GC backwards compatibility for no reason? Like, they were just sitting around one day and went "Hey, you know what? fuck the consumer!"?

Money. It's money. Removing GC components saves manufacturing cost. It wasn't just software emulation, it was actual physical things that needed to be manufactured and put in the Wii. It may not have been an exorbitant amount of money, sure, but it's enough that they decided it wasn't worth it anymore.

And, uh, really... if you cared about GC compatibility, I'd like to think you wouldn't have waited 5 years to jump in.

[quote name='007']Not to be 'corporate defender' guy, but... do people really think that Nintendo removed GC backwards compatibility for no reason? Like, they were just sitting around one day and went "Hey, you know what? fuck the consumer!"?

Money. It's money. Removing GC components saves manufacturing cost. It wasn't just software emulation, it was actual physical things that needed to be manufactured and put in the Wii. It may not have been an exorbitant amount of money, sure, but it's enough that they decided it wasn't worth it anymore.

And, uh, really... if you cared about GC compatibility, I'd like to think you wouldn't have waited 5 years to jump in.[/QUOTE]

Take your logic and get out.

who cares about all this talk lol... has anyone else been able to find it for $69?? My local walmart rang up at $109.. so kinda thinking it was just at the OPs local walmart oh well..

bread's done
Back