Is it time for a new PS3?

shadylane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
I've had a 60gb fat ps3 since launch and just recently in the last year, I've been experiencing a lot of freezing. I'm currently playing Deus Ex and I can barely get passed the start menu without it freezing on me. Is it time? I want to hold off until the PS4 since I'm hoping that will have backwards compatibility. I truly hate the design on the last PS3 iteration btw. Where can I get the slim model before the last?

[quote name='shadylane']I've had a 60gb fat ps3 since launch and just recently in the last year, I've been experiencing a lot of freezing. I'm currently playing Deus Ex and I can barely get passed the start menu without it freezing on me. Is it time? I want to hold off until the PS4 since I'm hoping that will have backwards compatibility. I truly hate the design on the last PS3 iteration btw. Where can I get the slim model before the last?[/QUOTE]

I think the previous slim model is still for sale everywhere. If you don't mind used, you can find tons of sub $200 ps3s on amazon warehouse or you could try Gamestop, I think they might have a promotion when you trade in your old ps3.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']I think the previous slim model is still for sale everywhere. If you don't mind used, you can find tons of sub $200 ps3s on amazon warehouse or you could try Gamestop, I think they might have a promotion when you trade in your old ps3.[/QUOTE]

Nice I'll check that option out

If you want to keep it around for the PS2 BC, you might wanna try to replace the thermal compound on the CPU/GPU or try replacing the power supply. I have the semi-BC 80GB PS3 (the MGS4 bundle). I first opened my PS3 to replace the grease and it took about 4-5 hours. I opened it again to replace the power supply, and it took about 2 hours (this is much easier to do).

There was nothing wrong with my PS3, but I wanted to keep it going as long as possible. After doing these two things, I noticed that PS3's fans don't go to the higher speeds as fast (before, 30-60 minutes would result in the 3rd level fan speed, now I can game for 2 hours before the 3rd level fans).

If it's not a big deal to you, then I'd dump it. It lasted a really long time and had a good run. I think GS still offers some nice promos for BC PS3s.

PS4 will not have backwards compatibility. There's just no way from a technological standpoint (this is my opinion and according to reports)
Best to invest in a new PS3 if you want PS3 games.

I say back it up and send it into Sony and get a refurbished 60gb for 130 or a refurbished 160gb slim for 100. No need to get a new one with the ps4 coming out next year.

bread's done
Back