Rock Band 3 Pro Guitar - $35, Keyboard - $25 (PS3, Amzn), Band Hero - $40, + MORE

Ndolger

CAGiversary!
So I'm a pretty big Rock Band fan and have been looking for any good deals during Christmas season and have found quite a bunch...all of these are the lowest or near the lowest they've ever been (according to camelcamelcamel and camelegg).

$35 - Rock Band 3 Wireless Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar Controller
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Must...668319&sr=8-1&keywords=rock+band+3+pro+guitar - shipped and sold by Amazon.

- Only PS3 version. Camelcamelcamel says it's only been cheaper during Black Friday week (don't see a post on it though). Picked one up for myself...seems like a good deal.

- Just to be clear, this is the PRO GUITAR made for Rock Band 3 only. It emulates a real guitar, it can be used to hook up to a computer or other device to transmit MIDI data as well (if you wanted to make your own music for example). Mad Catz is the official creator for all of Rock Band accessories.

$52 - Mad Catz Rock Band 3 PRO-Guitar Bundle ? Includes: Red Hot Chili Peppers Bonus Tracks, Full Game, and Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar Controller for Xbox 360

http://www.amazon.com/Catz-Rock-Ban...668339&sr=8-3&keywords=rock+band+3+pro+guitar
- from a third party seller fulfilled by Amazon.

- Not interested in it myself as I don't own a 360, but it's essentially the deal above + the game + RHCP tracks for $7

$40 - Band Hero: Band Kit (PS3 and 360)

DEAD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879221183 on Newegg for $40 + FS.
DEAD http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/band-hero-game-and-instrument-kit-for-xbox-360/1278209.jsp at Tuesday Morning for $40 + Shipping

- Only the PS3 version is still in stock. This set previously went for $25 a month ago, but is back in stock for $40. Still an insane deal considering you get: the game, drums, a guitar, and a microphone for $40 shipped...ordered a set for my nieces and their family.

$24.99 - Wireless Keyboard for Rock Band 3 (PS3)
http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Band-Wir...sr=1-4&keywords=wireless+keyboard+rock+band+3 - shipped and sold by Amazon for $26.38.

- Cheapest it's ever been has been $25.

$13.59 - Mad Catz Rock Band 3 Midi PRO-Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-R...d=1355668413&sr=1-2&keywords=midi+pro+adapter

- It's been a couple bucks cheaper, but these were rare for quite a long time and $40+ to boot. These allow you to hook up any *other* MIDI instrument for use in Rockband 3 (drums, guitar, keyboard). Xbox version is available too.

- You can actually use any *USB* instrument as well. I wrote up a blog post on this a long time ago on my website: http://www.ndolger.com/configuring-usb-keyboard-with-rock-band-3/. It's kind of complicated, but it can be done...

$19.99 - Mad Catz Pro Cymbal Expansion
http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4815&idCategory=323

- Cheapest I've ever seen this is $10...currently the cheapest I see this right now though; allows you to convert your wireless drums to "Pro" mode in Rock Band 3. Shipping seems to kill this deal though...$10 basic ship?? Anyone have a free ship promo code?
- Thanks to SevereTireDamage

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Do you know if the pro guitar is any good? I have the keyboard and pro mode is a mess. I don't know why they didn't just use sheet music but it's pretty difficult to play the way they set up the highway.

Yes, pro mode keyboard is pretty much impossible...you have to have memorized the song or be a piano master...

I've heard mixed things on the pro guitar, some people say it's very helpful to learn, others say it's terrible. I can't comment directly as I just bought one myself. I think the consensus has been: if you know how to play guitar, it's terrible; if you don't know how to play a real guitar, it's fun and helpful in getting used to playing a real guitar.

Does that help?

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the lack of Rock Band 3 (PS3) being available anywhere! It's like $70 on eBay...with only two sellers. I can't imagine it's more than $10, I guess it's just been wiped off the used market for Christmas? Beats me!

If only I could find Rock Band 3 for the PS3...I just want the game.

EDIT: the lowest I've seen it in the past two weeks is roughly $50 on eBay...and those prices have jumped. It's such bullshit that this game is going for those prices.

Didn't see anything in that sale that beats what's on Amazon...other than the Pro Cymbal Expansion for $20, I'll add that to the first post, thanks!

I added it, but shipping at the Mad Catz site is atrocious! =E Is there a free ship minimum?

Oh, that reminds me, the cymbal kit is also $20 at Gamestop. They also sell the PS2 Band Hero Super bundle for $20; the PS2 and PS3 instruments are the same. You then just need to pick up a PS3 copy of Band Hero which should be cheap everywhere. It's $6.99 used at GS.

They also have the PS2 GH World Tour kit for $20, but I'm not sure if those instruments are compatible with PS3.

[quote name='SynGamer']If only I could find Rock Band 3 for the PS3...I just want the game.

EDIT: the lowest I've seen it in the past two weeks is roughly $50 on eBay...and those prices have jumped. It's such bullshit that this game is going for those prices.[/QUOTE]

i waited for most music games to drop. they usually drop around $20 or less. I was hoping for RB3 for PS3 to drop but it sold out before it happened.

[quote name='Ndolger']Doesn't look like it's online though; so I guess YMMV for Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

True, but the Gamestops in my area has tons (NYC). I also found out that the instruments in the PS2 World Tour kit work on PS3 except for the guitar since it has a PS2 port and the others are USB.

Thanks Ndolger! I happened to check the used section for the Pro-Guitar and there was a Good condition guitar from Amazon Warehouse for $27! The Warehouse had a like-new Keyboard for $19.50 too :)

[quote name='Seraphym']Thanks Ndolger! I happened to check the used section for the Pro-Guitar and there was a Good condition guitar from Amazon Warehouse for $27! The Warehouse had a like-new Keyboard for $19.50 too :)[/QUOTE]

Cool, glad I could indirectly help! I'd probably get berated if I posted "used" deals on CAG though. :)

Excellent timing, I had yet to tell my mom what i wanted and since I'm visiting for the holidays already, she ordered for it instantly.
Thanks op
Went with the Pro guitar bundle for 360, already had the game but free dlc is nice

[quote name='Ndolger']$15.58 - Mad Catz Rock Band 3 Midi PRO-Adapter[/QUOTE]

Thanks and great find OP. I've recently been in the market for one of these and this is the best price I've seen so far. :applause:

I've heard the Mustang controller is really bad. I wanted to get the Squier guitar made for RB3, but that's like a unicorn, you only hear about it, never see it.

Now another thing, from my understanding you CANNOT use a "real" guitar with RB3 which isn't the Squier made specifically for RB3. It's not like Rocksmith.

The Midi Adaptor only works with MIDI keyboard and/or drums, not with a Midi guitar.

Then there are negatives even with the Squier made for RB3: no whammy bar, and it's expensive. I can't speak for how well it functions in-game, but the early reviews were positive, I actually wanted one.

[quote name='trunks982']what happen to Rock Band 3 game for the PS3? i cant seem to find it anywhere. did it become rare?[/QUOTE]

Here's a link to RB3 for PS3 on Amazon Warehouse, $14.
http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Band-Game-Only-Playstation-3/dp/B000TSZADA/

These aren't had to find, you just have to look every so often.

If you don't have the other RB games, it's also worth borrowing them or buying them cheap just so you can import the songs into RB3 (there's a fee for the import pack, and a few songs don't import).

[quote name='WindyCityGamer']I've heard the Mustang controller is really bad. I wanted to get the Squier guitar made for RB3, but that's like a unicorn, you only hear about it, never see it.

Now another thing, from my understanding you CANNOT use a "real" guitar with RB3 which isn't the Squier made specifically for RB3. It's not like Rocksmith.

The Midi Adaptor only works with MIDI keyboard and/or drums, not with a Midi guitar.

Then there are negatives even with the Squier made for RB3: no whammy bar, and it's expensive. I can't speak for how well it functions in-game, but the early reviews were positive, I actually wanted one.[/QUOTE]

Lol unicorn. I actually pre-ordered one at launch and still have it to this day. You need the USB adapter to use it still which was rare at the time too.

It worked really well once you broke out your hex key and screwdriver and calibrated the shit out of it. A good percent of people were not willing (or felt they shouldn't have to - shocker) do this hence a lot of bad reviews for lack of accuracy.

I've used it in Rock Band 3 Pro Mode, in Rock Smith, MIDI'd up to my MacBook Pro (which requires yet another USB to MIDI adapter), and just to rocked out on a headphone AMP. It was overpriced as shit (if you know where Squiers fall in normal pricing categories), but I think I got my money's worth.

[quote name='WindyCityGamer']Here's a link to RB3 for PS3 on Amazon Warehouse, $14.
http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Band-Game-Only-Playstation-3/dp/B000TSZADA/

These aren't had to find, you just have to look every so often.

If you don't have the other RB games, it's also worth borrowing them or buying them cheap just so you can import the songs into RB3 (there's a fee for the import pack, and a few songs don't import).[/QUOTE]

That is a link to RB1, not RB3...

I actually found a unicorn, I mean a RB3 PRO Squire at Best Buy yesterday. I saw it on the shelf and did a double take. I have wanted one since it came out, but I did not want to pay the original price. I even bought the midi adapter months ago because I figured it would become rare. Now I'm glad I picked that up.

If you happen to find one at Best Buy the price is $179.99, but marked down to $119 on clearance.

[quote name='WindyCityGamer']
[/QUOTE]

Is this true? Because the MIDI Pro Adapter clearly has a setting for "Guitar". Can you post a link from somewhere?

Back OT...

I'd never even heard of the RB3 PRO Squire! =E

[quote name='IamPro']What is the best Guitar Hero game for Xbox360?[/QUOTE]

GH3 Legends of Rock and GH5 are my personal favorite - I think they have the best combination of music selection and game play.

Warriors of Rock has an excellent music selection, but I thought the new power ups and other gimmicks were a little over the top.

GH Metallica and Van Halen are good too, but obviously a majority of the music in those games is from the band whose name is attached to it.

I'm still looking for a decent drum kit without breaking the bank... Both of mine have long been broken, and unless you want to trust ebay, you can't find one for under $100. I'm starting to think they'll never make any more of them, which is weird considering that they break pretty easily and is the one thing for RB that is really hard to find... I'm kicking myself for not picking up a couple of those Beatles sets when they were on clearance a couple years back.

[quote name='Mixer236']I'm still looking for a decent drum kit without breaking the bank... [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't understand it. The Rock Band drum kits have been over $100...forever! My original RB2 set broke and ended up finding one on Craigslist for $50...that was about a year ago.

For a Rock Band drum kit, I'd say Craigslist is your best bet, you may get lucky (most regular people don't know what they're worth!)...and honestly the shipping costs are what inflates the prices on eBay; the set weighs like 15 pounds!

Sucks for people like me who didn't have a 360 when the RB craze hit (played room mate's), but now have a 360 and want a full RB set-up...but it's impossible to find a standalone, straight up, RB guitar (or guitar bundle) that isn't this atrocious "pro" guitar. Like, the best deal is obviously to get the keyboard/game bundle for $40, but you're pretty much SOL as far as the guitar goes unless you either want to pay $130+ for a new/used one or want the "pro" guitar.

I bought one of these - http://www.amazon.com/You-Rock-YRG-1000-Controller-Electric/dp/B003DC78FW/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt - for the tandem use of MIDI controller for my VSTs (I'm a guitarist who can barely play keyboards, so this is hella helpful for recording) and Rock Band 3. It's weird to play because there is no bumps from frets to cue you as to your position on the neck and the scale is different from my guitars.

After I got a WORKING MIDI-PRO adapter - don't ever need to deal with Mad Catz for support unless you want to be sad and enraged simultaneously - I tried RB3 Pro Mode on the easier levels on songs I can play for real and failed out every time. The way the notes are dished out on the highway just don't make sense to my experience reading tab. Very frustrating.

[quote name='Wildcat1080']Sucks for people like me who didn't have a 360 when the RB craze hit (played room mate's), but now have a 360 and want a full RB set-up...but it's impossible to find a standalone, straight up, RB guitar (or guitar bundle) that isn't this atrocious "pro" guitar. Like, the best deal is obviously to get the keyboard/game bundle for $40, but you're pretty much SOL as far as the guitar goes unless you either want to pay $130+ for a new/used one or want the "pro" guitar.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat, was late to the 360 and finally have an area i could actually play rockband now and I can't seem to find a set without paying the outrageous ebay prices. or a straight up guitar for it that isn't a pro. i see plenty of bass guitars but a regular one seems to be pretty much out unless you want to pay for it

[quote name='Wildcat1080']Sucks for people like me who didn't have a 360 when the RB craze hit (played room mate's), but now have a 360 and want a full RB set-up...but it's impossible to find a standalone, straight up, RB guitar (or guitar bundle) that isn't this atrocious "pro" guitar. Like, the best deal is obviously to get the keyboard/game bundle for $40, but you're pretty much SOL as far as the guitar goes unless you either want to pay $130+ for a new/used one or want the "pro" guitar.[/QUOTE]

I made a SD thread on this as well, and someone posted a link to Tuesday Morning that has the 360 Band Hero set for $40...which includes a guitar. GH Guitars work on Rock Band as well...so maybe that would be good enough for you? I'll add it to the first post.

Here is the link: http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/band-hero-game-and-instrument-kit-for-xbox-360/1278209.jsp

The PRO guitar is decent for what it is, and is adequate for playing PRO mode, as long as it's not metal or anything with crazy fast up-and-down picking. Chords are also a little trick as the fret buttons seem to be pretty sensitive, so if your finger(s) happy to overlap on any other fret buttons it will register them as well when you're strumming.

The lack of a whammy bar is a bit of a downer, but not a deal-breaker. I paid $50 and thought it was a good "investment". I play guitar (not very well), and found the PRO guitar to be a nice medium between the RB/GH toy guitar and the real thing. Don't expect to pick this up and learn to play the guitar and move onto an electric or acoustic and be able to shred like you would in the game. There are techniques like bends, harmonics, etc. that you can't do in the game but are essential to guitar playing.

I have the Squier for PS3 but rarely use it. Two things annoy me about it. One, you must use the string mute or else the game struggles to recognize what you're playing, but the foam on mine dented immediately and doesn't even do a decent job muting, especially on the lower strings. Two, it only works in Pro mode, so unless I drop a ton more on Pro guitar add-on DLC I quickly bore of the dozen songs I actually find enjoyable to play.

Since the Mustang can play both normal and Pro mode, I was wondering if it'd be worth it to pick up just to have the flexibility to play any track without swapping instruments. Anyone with the Mustang ever use it to play guitar in normal mode?

Thanks - already have Rock Band 3 but I might order the guitar bundle and trade my current game in since Gamestop upped the TIV to $15 during that promo.

[quote name='surak']I have the Squier for PS3 but rarely use it. Two things annoy me about it. One, you must use the string mute or else the game struggles to recognize what you're playing, but the foam on mine dented immediately and doesn't even do a decent job muting, especially on the lower strings. Two, it only works in Pro mode, so unless I drop a ton more on Pro guitar add-on DLC I quickly bore of the dozen songs I actually find enjoyable to play.

Since the Mustang can play both normal and Pro mode, I was wondering if it'd be worth it to pick up just to have the flexibility to play any track without swapping instruments. Anyone with the Mustang ever use it to play guitar in normal mode?[/QUOTE]

I use the Fender Mustang PRO for the regular guitar mode and it works wonderfully. You can hit any of the strings with any of the frets according to the color tabs. I prefer using it to the original 5 button guitar and have more fun using it to play songs.

[quote name='SynGamer']If only I could find Rock Band 3 for the PS3...I just want the game.

EDIT: the lowest I've seen it in the past two weeks is roughly $50 on eBay...and those prices have jumped. It's such bullshit that this game is going for those prices.[/QUOTE]

You can always call your local gamestop after checking to see if they have it used in stock here..
http://www.gamestop.com/browse/storesearch.aspx?sku=930510

IF they don't they can check other stores in the area and have it transfered to the store of your choice.. $24.99 - 10% if you have the edge card.

[quote name='tilcfast']I actually found a unicorn, I mean a RB3 PRO Squire at Best Buy yesterday. I saw it on the shelf and did a double take. I have wanted one since it came out, but I did not want to pay the original price. I even bought the midi adapter months ago because I figured it would become rare. Now I'm glad I picked that up.

If you happen to find one at Best Buy the price is $179.99, but marked down to $119 on clearance.[/QUOTE]

I actually went through 3 of those RB3 Pro Squire's before getting one that I was happy with. I first ordered 2 of them (one for me and one for a friend) and immediately noticed that one of them was about 1/2 the weight of the other (must have used completely different types of wood for the head?). Unfortunately they both had problems detecting presses on the upper frets, so I ordered another that weighed somewhere in between the first two and all frets seemed to function correctly.

Congrats on finding one...especially at that price!

Also, thanks OP for putting together the list in the first posting...I picked up the Band Hero kit from New Egg just in case my RB drums break. For $40, that's not too bad of a deal. Worst case, I can give it to a friend for X-mas.

Are there any deals out there on drums? I only have RB1 drums, and would like to get the RB2+ drums and cymbals. Xbox version needed.

Just an FYI:

The Band Hero kit comes with the older style Guitar Hero drums...BUT you can put in a support ticket with Activision for a replacement pair (if your old style ones break). I had a broken set out of the box where the wire was frayed. They paid for shipping and sent out the newer model drums, all for free.

Might still be worth going that route if you order the Band Hero kit.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Also, thanks OP for putting together the list in the first posting...I picked up the Band Hero kit from New Egg just in case my RB drums break. For $40, that's not too bad of a deal. Worst case, I can give it to a friend for X-mas.[/QUOTE]

Did you check Gamestop first? If you only wanted the drums, you could have gotten the PS2 Band Hero kit for $20 - the instruments for PS2 and PS3 are the same.

Price drops!

- Keyboard dropped from $26-ish to $24.99
- Pro Guitar dropped from $43 to $35; emailed Amazon for a price adjustment and they did it ("I've requested a refund of $8.41")...very fast too!
- Midi Pro Adapter dropped $2!

Anyone think the Rock Band Keyboard for the Xbox 360 will go lower? I have $23 in credit and I would love it if I could pay less out of pocket. Thanks again.

bread's done
Back